Nvidia Stock Falls Following Turing Reviews

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Nvidia stock fell 2.6 percent on Thursday after Morgan Stanley called reviews for the new Turing gaming cards disappointing. Analyst Joseph Moore said "as review embargos broke for the new gaming products, performance improvements in older games is not the leap we had initially hoped for."

"We are surprised that the 2080 is only slightly better than the 1080ti, which has been available for over a year and is slightly less expensive," he said. "With higher clock speeds, higher core count, and 40% higher memory bandwidth, we had expected a bigger boost." As a result he expects the adoption of Nvidia's new products to be "slower" and doesn't expect "much upside" from the company's gaming business in its next two financial quarters.

ThrowOurHeadsBack.gif

I think there was a behind the scenes disaster that inhibited the performance of these cards. As in they wanted to zigg left but manufacture delays and the need to pump out a product in time made them zagg left thus the marketing department had a giant nothingburger to work with.

I am actually shocked because I thought the performance would have been baked into the stock price pre release. This tells me the market is even that more ready for competition.

I think that stock guys simply don't know SHIT.

As I read the reviews, at 4K a single 2080 Ti can best my two 1080 Ti cards in SLI by 15-20% that is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yup, I realize that SLi is iffy and also not supported well, but still. I'm impressed by the results and it almost has me dropping any ideas of SLi from here on.

I haven't had the chance to read many reviews, but has anyone overclocked one of their 2080 Ti in any review???

Yeah pretty disappointing on the 2080 ..... I feel bad for everyone on how slow that thing is ..........

Man, 1080 ti's are gonna hold their price for damn sure now.

I'm gonna go thru with getting the RTX 2080 ti .... I just hope I don't end up with regrets if the price drops or nVidia pushes out something else.

I guess they still have a few GPU's they could release that's potentially faster?

As I read the reviews, at 4K a single 2080 Ti can best my two 1080 Ti cards in SLI by 15-20% that is pretty damn good if you ask me.

Yup, I realize that SLi is iffy and also not supported well, but still. I'm impressed by the results and it almost has me dropping any ideas of SLi from here on.

I haven't had the chance to read many reviews, but has anyone overclocked one of their 2080 Ti in any review???

That's because SLI isn't supported and only one 1080ti is being used. That is right in line with the reviews of seeing a 15% to 30% FPS increase from the 1080ti to the 2080ti...

Nvidia has been trying to slowly move away from SLi for a while now. Does this gen still support it? Haven't really researched it that much personally. I have heard rumors that they are going to completely stop at some point in the near future. I haven't gotten a new card in a while now, but don't they leave the SLI bridge out and charge extra for it as an accessory?

Theory says they WANT SLI to work for obvious reasons. To me it seems like they know a point in the future in which it will actually work with 100% scaling in all situations. I just don't believe they would ever fully give up on it, that would leave too much on the table.

I'm sorry if I came out as offensive, as that was not my intention.

Stock market fluctuations are pretty much noise and are very hard to predict, despite what "analysts" and your favorite stock broker claims.

Most investors are better off believing that the efficient-market hypothesis is mostly true and invest on low-cost, low-turnover index funds. Many (I do not claim you do) think they are the next Warren Buffet and go all-in in value investing (a.k.a. investing in distressed companies), but they do not have the stomach nor the patience for such a strategy.

Warren himself recommends most investor to use low-cost index funds.

I take back my comment, thank you for clarification. I 100% agree with you. In full disclosure the only stock I own is 50 shares of NYSE: VZ. My cynical view of being surprised would not outweigh my ability to formulate a proper investing strategy if I actively invested.

Last edited:
dang it. im on a amd 6300/hd 7950 from 5 years ago and things are finally getting unplayable. I was really counting on this release to be a monster. I need the 2070 to be a monster, I can only afford to do this every 5 years lol. I hate them.

A lot of good those signed NDA's did......I suspect they had them in place in order to get their pre-orders in before launch.....

And, that's exactly the point of an NDA. It's to protect the company from the potential loss of money, stock price, damage to it's brand name, public perception, bad press, etc. It covers more than just bad performance, it protects companies against bad actors.

The NDA absolutely worked as intended.

I think it's the RTX that killed the improvements in raw speed. I'm a little underwhelmed as well as well. I was hoping for a little more.

And, that's exactly the point of an NDA. It's to protect the company from the potential loss of money, stock price, damage to it's brand name, public perception, bad press, etc. It covers more than just bad performance, it protects companies against bad actors.

That way we could find out all at the same time that the 2080 series is overhyped and underperforming?

I think your on a good idea because if the stock didn't go lower after the reviews and the stock price was already baked in that would be a sign that NDA's dont have the power they do, damn, I feel like there more to elaborate on in this vein. For example is the 2.6% stock loss the percentage of dum dums/rule followers/whatnots that didnt pull the trigger or realize what was going till post reviews.

dang it. im on a amd 6300/hd 7950 from 5 years ago and things are finally getting unplayable. I was really counting on this release to be a monster. I need the 2070 to be a monster, I can only afford to do this every 5 years lol. I hate them.

Just get a used 1080 ti off craigslist and you had better hurry. I'm seeing several here in Kansas City for around $500 or so. 1080's for $350 .....

PC gamers are savvy. They will figure this crap out on the 2080 in literally a few days and then, many will come off the market causing demand issues. nVidia is going to be fucked. It's simple logic.

If the 2080 is just ever so slightly faster than the 1080 ti, which it appears it is then do not put any hope into the 2070 at all. It seems the only advantage would be the ray tracing which at this point early in the game .... is meaningless.

I'm fairly confident the 1080 ti just got an additional year added to it's mainstream use if not longer.

You had better get one asap. Anyone for that matter.

I've owned 3 or 4 1080 ti's ... in my personal systems. Once I build a system it goes up for sale imdiately ..... it's how I keep pushing my systems up with more memory, bigger SSD's, motherboards, CPU's, etc.

The 1080 ti is a beast of a card. I know. Even at 4K ... it can do 45 to 55fps on average at high settings. Some games, 60 and 90FPS ... just depends. It's still one hell of a card.

Day traders / high frequency traders are super reactionary. As an example, AMD also inexplicably dipped this morning, despite the nasdaq being up, presumably because they also do GPUs. But, I’m pretty confident that nvidia’s valuation is based on their growing strength in hpc/ data center, and this being the case, this momentary downward blip based on consumer product performance will correct itself shortly.

That's because SLI isn't supported and only one 1080ti is being used. That is right in line with the reviews of seeing a 15% to 30% FPS increase from the 1080ti to the 2080ti...

SLi is still actively supported in many, many games.
I was referring to frame rates in known games I have in my library that support Sli and that I KNOw for a fact are rates using combined cards.

Nvidia has been trying to slowly move away from SLi for a while now. Does this gen still support it? Haven't really researched it that much personally. I have heard rumors that they are going to completely stop at some point in the near future. I haven't gotten a new card in a while now, but don't they leave the SLI bridge out and charge extra for it as an accessory?

SLi is alive and well.
But, to work it in the RTX versions you have to buy the NV Link bridge extra.
It's too bad, but honestly, more and more games DO NOT support Sli anyway which is too bad. SLi is a good thing when it works.

If 2080ti prices were in line with 1080ti prices I would have probably picked one up, but this? No.

If it were $200 more than a 1080 ti people would've grumbled a bit but would have accepted it but $1250 is crack smoking territory kinda like the BFGD. It's actually kind of impressive how even though it costs less, the $1250 pricetag of the 2080 ti feels even more outrageous than the insane €5000 price of the BFGD.

It seems to me like the 2080Ti has the performance the 2080 should have. And then in 9 months or whatever, they should be releasing the 2080Ti with even more performance, instead of now. What are they going to release 9 months from now... the 2080 Titi? The 2085 Ti? The 2080 Ti^2? Nothing at all? Why even release the 2080Ti now instead of later?

Seems like they labeled everything one peg higher than they should be, and increased the price, without the performance to back up the new label on them. And that's why my wallet is in my pocket still.

I don't think nVidia ever wanted SLI to go away. Look at Mining. nVidia loved selling more cards. And they sold millions upon millions of dollars worth of 'em. In fact, just recently, some of their press releases were filled with tears that those dollars were going away. In fact, they were left with a ton of inventory.

SLI allows nVidia to sell more cards. Simple logic.

Companies are NOT selective when it comes to turning a profit. They would sell all of ya'll green enameled cowbells if there was a market, trust me.

nVidia is not saying, screw SLI, but yeah, sure, here are more cards for mining. Tho, that's all in the past now. they would love to sell you a 2nd and 3rd card. But the practicality of doing that? Not so much.

The problem with SLI these days is one of owner convenience, utility and cost. These cards have gotten to the point that they are $700 dollars ... $800 dollars ... $1.000 for the 1080 ti. Now, for two of them, if you pay tax, many do .. you're looking at $1200 to $1800 to $2000 for a pair. Then there is the cost of a PSU to support those two cards. You're looking at $150+ for a good PSU. Then there are the obvious limitations of cases, motherboards that could hold two of these massive cards. Etc.

And while there is a lot of talk recently about the 2080 ti ... and in the past, the 1080 ti .... those cards are NOT normally bought by gamers. If you look at the numbers provided by Steam, you can see the high-end is in single digits.

All of this translates into SLI just not something you're going to see go mainstream. Even back in the day when cards were less expensive, smaller, motherboards more accommodating, etc. I doubt it's wide spread use was all that great.

Now, if they would have left the SLI bridge on the 1060 .... that would have been an entirely different story for sure.

Last edited:
I think the most worrisome aspects is that there is little or no architectural improvement. Yes is faster, but it has more cuda cores and faster memory.. both things could have been done to the old 10x cards, to same or very similar results... The rtx is for the future, sure.. i keep thinking it should have been an add on card that worked with any gpu if that was possible..
Also it remains to be seen how closed down nVidia shit is.. direct x or not, its to be seen.

It seems to me like the 2080Ti has the performance the 2080 should have. And then in 9 months or whatever, they should be releasing the 2080Ti with even more performance, instead of now. What are they going to release 9 months from now... the 2080 Titi? The 2085 Ti? The 2080 Ti^2? Nothing at all? Why even release the 2080Ti now instead of later?

Seems like they labeled everything one peg higher than they should be, and increased the price, without the performance to back up the new label on them. And that's why my wallet is in my pocket still.

They pushed out this lineup all at once for a reason, there's probably a new line of GPUs coming sooner than we think. These most likely won't have the longevity Pascal did. I give it a year.

Back