NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti and GA102 "Ampere" Specs, Other Juicy Bits Revealed

20, 30, 50, even 60 or 70 percent increase is fine with me as long as nVidia doesn't keep their $1200 flagship mainstream and $2500 halo price points for consumer cards.

I'll jump on a 3080Ti on release day if it's in the traditional $700-800 bracket. Not holding my breath, though, since nVidia took advantage of the temporary crypto mining craze which shot the price of the 1080Ti to well over $1000 and carried that over as the permanent price point of the 2080Ti, so they have essentially conditioned most of their customers into these overinflated MSRPs (more like MAPs ...minimum advertised pricing contacts).

Does anyone else feel that DLSS is a bandaid technology to try and showcase/market more performance than their products are actually capable of at a given resolution (essentially 900p upscaled to 1080p, 1080p upscaled to 1440p, or 1440p upscaled to 2160p, etc)? It's like the polar opposite of DSR.
DLSS is a legit tech, everybody complains about unoptimized code and unoptimized engines like that means something, well what about unoptimized textures and unoptimized meshes. There's lots of different parts that make up a game and I feel it's about time some focus was placed on how to improve other aspects to help make things run better. If it makes things faster and you can't notice a difference that is a perfect example of an "optimization" in place.

Last edited:
So the same way a 2060 outclasses a 1080ti?

The 3060 will have about 66-70% the performance of a 2080ti for $350 which would still make it a great deal.
But It is unlikely that the 3060 will cost $350 given that lowend 2060s cost $350

NVidia would be crazy to give more performance at that price point, unless forced by competition.

Its the typical hopium before release, six months before release. I'll only be salty if the dreams bantered about here are true and prices return to historical reality and they make a card that beats a 2060Super by 40%+ for $300-350. Anything is possible but this is leather jacket boy we're talking about. I don't expect a new x60 level card until Jan '21 at the earliest.

Six months before release and eight before availability...

But given that the 2000 series GPU's were done on the N7 node and the supers on the N7P, the 3000 series are on the N7+ which out the gate is offering 10% power improvements, 15% faster clock speeds, and 1.2x density improvements over the N7P so we should see some decent improvements on the process refinement alone. The N7P was backwards compatible with the N7 but the N7+ was not and required a re design and implementation to use. All in all I am expecting good things from the 3000 but huge performance increase and massive price drops are not one of them.

Wut? 2000 series is on the 16nm+ node, AKA 12nm.

Wut? 2000 series is on the 16nm+ node, AKA 12nm.
You are right I am on crack, just forget me I am going to go home and drink myself into submission.... I don't deserve to be here anymore I am just gonna go delete that...

Edit: Boss says I can go for lunch but I can't go home....

Well TSMC advertised their 12nm node at 33.8 MTr/mm^2, and their 7nm+ node they are currently using is 115.8 MTr/mm^2 so that alone should account for a large improvement so who knows what the 3000 series or the new AMD series holds in store. I'm gonna find me a sandwich and maybe that will reboot my brain.

Last edited:
CUTE!

II love the misdirection here, but I'm expecting Ampere compute card to around 700 mm² (or less). Still the largest 7nm die ever built!
So new DGX Platform.... looks like they are still using Intel, looks like 24 Tesla cards and 6 CPU's so probably Intel, I don't think Milan can do that many sockets simultaneously but given my day I am probably wrong on that. Either way I know a few people out there are salivating over that board.

Not at all, the benefits of DLSS are significant for all future cards, as the significant performance gains you get with it.
Wait, what? Last I read about DLSS it was a complete shitshow of bad iq.

Reactions: erek
like this
stimulus check= RTX 3080 purchase
My wallet was already ready for Ampere. That stimulus check is probably going to an upgraded intercooler and turbo 😁
Wait, what? Last I read about DLSS it was a complete shitshow of bad iq.
They remade the algorithm to be better, more efficient, and easier to implement. It is being called "DLSS 2.0" and you can see it in Wolfenstein: Youngblood and a few other games right now. We have a thread going in the NVIDIA subforum.

My wallet was already ready for Ampere. That stimulus check is probably going to an upgraded intercooler and turbo 😁

They remade the algorithm to be better, more efficient, and easier to implement. It is being called "DLSS 2.0" and you can see it in Wolfenstein: Youngblood and a few other games right now. We have a thread going in the NVIDIA subforum.
Well pretty sure that DLSS 2.0 has been cooked into the Unreal 4 engine at this point so it should be an option to anybody using that and Unity is probably working on it, once they have it the rest of the players shouldn't be that far behind.

This. I didn't pay too much attention to the first version of DLSS, but in actually playing with DLSS 2.0 its just utterly impressive. If they figure out a way to let developers implement it in some generic way such that it doesn't require a ton of game-specific programming, its going to be a game changer.

RayTracing, DLSS, AMD joining the RT party soon, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of technology and gaming and not get excited by this stuff.

This. I didn't pay too much attention to the first version of DLSS, but in actually playing with DLSS 2.0 its just utterly impressive. If they figure out a way to let developers implement it in some generic way such that it doesn't require a ton of game-specific programming, its going to be a game changer.

RayTracing, DLSS, AMD joining the RT party soon, I don't know how anyone can be a fan of technology and gaming and not get excited by this stuff.
The DLSS 2.0 is done inside the rendering pipeline process. Unreal already has it cooked into the UE4 engine and Unity isn’t far behind. From the comments in the developers forums most are being pleasantly surprised how “easy” it is to implement. It is supposedly no more problematic than implementing the more complex AA processes.

Man if I can get better than 2080Ti performance for $350 when these release I do not exaggerate when I say satellites will be able to see my erection from space.

Well in RT performance at least it should match the 2080 Ti. Raw performance will probably be a little slower but close enough to sting for 2080 Ti owners. It blows my mind that people think Ampere will "at best" be 25-30% faster than Turing. This thing is rumored to have 10% IPC increase, node shrink from essentially optimized 16nm (12nm) to 7nm EUV and they think all NVIDIA can get is 25-30%? :rolleyes: I think MLID is spot on with his analysis, Turing will be the Kepler of the RT generation and quickly forgotten.

do you think GTC on the 14th will announce the Ampere? GA100 at least or no?

do you think GTC on the 14th will announce the Ampere? GA100 at least or no?

Almost certainly GA100, maybe the rest of the range. GA100 as supposed be be announced back in March.

NVIDIA typically announces consumer cards a month or two before retail availability. So June/July for a August/September launch?. But who know if they'll start the hype machine early for Corona?

No matter when they announce these consumer cards, they won't be available until August.

Last edited:
Almost certainly GA100, maybe the rest of the range. GA100 as supposed be be announced back in March.

NVIDIA typically announces consumer cards a month or two before retail availability. So June/July for a August/September launch?. But who know if they'll start the hype machine early for Corona?

No matter when they announce these consumer cards, they won't be available until August.

I just registerd / signed up for GTC 2020, excited to officially attend one of my first technology conferences

At the rate the rumor mill is churning for this thing I'm expecting to wake up in the coming couple days and find out it'll also blow me
The actual info release is only 2 days away. So we should have some real* numbers soon.

*carefully orchestrated and misguiding to give nvidia the absolute best possible scenario.

I was just thinking, it might not even matter if Moore's Law is Dead channel's leaks are accurate or not because there might be an agenda just to HYPE UP expectations for Ampere to set up the actual launch to be a disappointment. I'm probably wrong about this but I've seen it happen before with the pre-launch "leaks" about the R9 Fury and "poor Volta" Vega.

I was just thinking, it might not even matter if Moore's Law is Dead channel's leaks are accurate or not because there might be an agenda just to HYPE UP expectations for Ampere to set up the actual launch to be a disappointment. I'm probably wrong about this but I've seen it happen before with the pre-launch "leaks" about the R9 Fury and "poor Volta" Vega.
Nah. Pre-launch anything is just whitenoise. It really matters zero what anyone says. New cards will come out, they'll be faster no matter what, and the exact % increase over previous gen also doesn't matter insofar as it won't affect sales - they'll be sold out everywhere no matter what, and people will drag their running noses across Reddit and forums about Ngreedia while spamming F5 on NowInStock in another window. That's reality.

That said, my money's on a pascal-like leap just because of all the extra time Nvidia has had out in the lead to really nail the fuckers down.

Last edited:
No. Pre-launch anything is just whitenoise. It really matters zero what anyone says. New cards will come out, they'll be faster no matter what, and the increase over previous gen also doesn't matter insofar as it won't affect them being sold out everywhere, while people spam forums with tears about Ngreedia on one PC, while spamming F5 at Nowinstock.com on the other PC. This is the the reality.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: erek
like this
Back