NVIDIA Promises Spectacular Surprises

I see that Kyle has liked this post, but you've been on long enough to see that this is cyclical like the great AMD Nano debacle of 2015(?). It will always come and go. But today it's trendy to bash nvidia - and some of their recent practices have been appalling, but the AMD fans continually forget they aren't much different from what AMD has performed in the past... So great for AMD becoming competitive (like I've regurgitated 100x) and we'll see what the big announcement is, but always remember "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

I expect Kyle to report the truth and then I make my own decisions from there, this is why I come here cause I know I will get the facts as he knows them. Does that mean I always agree with him, umm no but I respect the fact that he does his best to tell the whole story. Obviously you have no qualms with Nvidia business practices and thats fine as it's a personal choice, but because someone disagrees with that does not make them a AMD fanboy. If Nvidia doesnt want to be bashed then maybe they should stop doing dumb crap that gets them plastered all over the news.. you know learn from past mistakes. I just dont understand defending obvious anti consumer behavior, after all it hurts you the loyal consumer as well and if it was AMD I would be just as outspoken about it.

Many businesses use both, for different reasons.

He may be referring to the eagle claw used for the GeForce logo. This was my desktop background for a long time. It does look like a fish head from the right angle, so Kyle was just making a joke.
View attachment 93219

Are those workstations using GeForce, though? GeForce and Quadro drivers are different branches.

I expect Kyle to report the truth and then I make my own decisions from there, this is why I come here cause I know I will get the facts as he knows them. Does that mean I always agree with him, umm no but I respect the fact that he does his best to tell the whole story. Obviously you have no qualms with Nvidia business practices and thats fine as it's a personal choice, but because someone disagrees with that does not make them a AMD fanboy. If Nvidia doesnt want to be bashed then maybe they should stop doing dumb crap that gets them plastered all over the news.. you know learn from past mistakes. I just dont understand defending obvious anti consumer behavior, after all it hurts you the loyal consumer as well and if it was AMD I would be just as outspoken about it.
Weird response - I was comparing AMD's previous behavior to Nvidia's current. They are pretty similar. Just because now it is fashionable to trash on Nvidia doesn't mean that AMD didn't perform the same practices... both were anti consumer. And for the record it does make you a fanboy to think that what Nvidia is doing now is somehow different from 2015... Kyle has a business to run and if a company is going to try to fuck him over for whatever reason, well.... I was just attempting to make the point that this isn't new.

Hehe ' thas a joke.
Hrmmm? Again weird response from the AMD defense crew. Look thru the list of low end GPU's and their memory specs. It's shocking how quickly people forget. (and look at the 4xx series to the 5xx series cause it's odd how close they are to the specs).

Weird response - I was comparing AMD's previous behavior to Nvidia's current. They are pretty similar. Just because now it is fashionable to trash on Nvidia doesn't mean that AMD didn't perform the same practices... both were anti consumer. And for the record it does make you a fanboy to think that what Nvidia is doing now is somehow different from 2015... Kyle has a business to run and if a company is going to try to fuck him over for whatever reason, well.... I was just attempting to make the point that this isn't new.
How is his response weird? He said if AMD did it, it is also bad (AMD's bad past behavior doesn't justify future bad behavior by either company)... makes complete sense if you take your green goggles off.

and therein lies the core of the problem ... foolish buyers
This is exactly the problem. Too many people blaming either NVidia or AMD... but unfortunately makes sense since most people can't even admit when they're clearly wrong about something (at least on an internet forum).

Reactions: _l_
like this
He may be referring to the eagle claw used for the GeForce logo. This was my desktop background for a long time. It does look like a fish head from the right angle, so Kyle was just making a joke.
View attachment 93219

Are those workstations using GeForce, though? GeForce and Quadro drivers are different branches.
Huh? Eagle claw?

I see that Kyle has liked this post, but you've been on long enough to see that this is cyclical like the great AMD Nano debacle of 2015(?). It will always come and go. But today it's trendy to bash nvidia - and some of their recent practices have been appalling, but the AMD fans continually forget they aren't much different from what AMD has performed in the past... So great for AMD becoming competitive (like I've regurgitated 100x) and we'll see what the big announcement is, but always remember "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

What you quoted from Gideon did not mention AMD at all and said "Nvidia has earned all of the bad press lately". Please, keep your fanboyism to yourself right now. You are making yourself look bad.

Nvidia pretty much always has Linux drivers come out around the same time for video card releases. Considering AMD's performance in Linux is still worse then NVidia's (though it is getting much better compared to 5 years ago) .

Currently AMD doesn't have a competitor to the 1080Ti, and if time is important to you I don't see a comparable AMD card in the pipeline till at least 1.5+ yrs away.

Personally I'd like to go AMD again and would even accept a little less performance than Nvidia, but the combination of much higher cost and much lower performance is just a deal killer.

Better still would be a 3rd party that wasn't US based though. But that won't happen the next 100 years at least.

it's not a fish, it's not an eagle (an eagle?) ... it's far, far worse than that.

Her face was sickly pale, her whole body lean and wasted, and she squinted horribly; her teeth were discoloured and decayed, her poisonous breast of a greenish hue, and her tongue dripped venom. … Gnawing at others, and being gnawed, she was herself her own torment. „ ~ Ovid (about Invidia) in Metamorphoses

"We got a fun one for you today folks. We’re going to be talking about how Nvidia got its name and its fascinating history in Roman mythology. In Latin, invidia is the sense of envy, an intense gaze associated with malice and the “evil eye”. Invidia is also the Roman name for the ancient Greek “Titan” deity, Nemesis. Who’s the personification of hatred and jealousy in Roman mythology."

"Titan", Nvidia's top of the line card :cautious:

So why do folks expect a company, who named itself after a non-existent god named Nemesis who is said to be the PERSONIFICATION OF HATRED and jealousy, to be nice to them?

It's in their name (names have meanings and more than that, the meanings always fit the person, company, pet, etc).

For example, "Kyle" means Narrow as in a strait or channel and is an uncompromising, courageous, energetic and masculine man, who likes to think that he is pretty tough. (First Names Meanings dot com)

So for those who haven't put the puzzle pieces together here it is in a nut shell: Nvidia hates you (I didn't decide that, they did)

Last edited:
84800966.png

Wait... Nvidia's logo is an eagle claw?

Really?

So, it's *not* a fish.

huh.
https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/wallpapers#!/nvidia-claw/nvidia-claw-wallpaper-1

The Claw series of designs were originally just internal explorations and iterations of the NVIDIA logo, but due to their overwhelming popularity within the company, are now used as the core designs of our Geforce graphics cards. We named them claws because they resemble, in a very abstract way, the claw of an eagle.
Its not a fish or an eagle claw or a toomah, its a eye.
The NVIDIA logo is an eye. The GeForce logo has been "The Claw" since 2009, introduced with Fermi on the 400 series.

upload_2018-8-2_8-41-46.png

upload_2018-8-2_8-42-45.png

I've spent my last $700 on a video card (1080ti) for a long, long time. i'm stepping off of the rat race platform for the forseeable future. Too much money for too little incremental performance. Maybe when the 1580ti comes out :)

I've spent my last $700 on a video card (1080ti) for a long, long time. i'm stepping off of the rat race platform for the forseeable future. Too much money for too little incremental performance. Maybe when the 1580ti comes out :)

that 'a boy ... you're one of the smarter consumers in the world :cool:

70% wasn't enough of a performance jump for you (assuming you came from a 980 Ti)?

I find its a good "value" to upgrade to the "x80 ti" every 2 generation. Before that I used to buy a mid range every generation and it was costing me about the same overall.

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/wallpapers#!/nvidia-claw/nvidia-claw-wallpaper-1

The Claw series of designs were originally just internal explorations and iterations of the NVIDIA logo, but due to their overwhelming popularity within the company, are now used as the core designs of our Geforce graphics cards. We named them claws because they resemble, in a very abstract way, the claw of an eagle.

The NVIDIA logo is an eye. The GeForce logo has been "The Claw" since 2009, introduced with Fermi on the 400 series.

View attachment 93451

View attachment 93452

hqdefault.jpg

Its the same logo, just flipped backwards and shown half.....lol.

I find its a good "value" to upgrade to the "x80 ti" every 2 generation. Before that I used to buy a mid range every generation and it was costing me about the same overall.

My 1080ti runs World Of Warships and No Mans Sky just dandy at full tilt options, so I'm happy :)

And I'm sure it'll run Crysis :p

Obviously you have no qualms with Nvidia business practices and thats fine as it's a personal choice, but because someone disagrees with that does not make them a AMD fanboy. If Nvidia doesnt want to be bashed then maybe they should stop doing dumb crap that gets them plastered all over the news.. you know learn from past mistakes. I just dont understand defending obvious anti consumer behavior, after all it hurts you the loyal consumer as well and if it was AMD I would be just as outspoken about it.

I'll let you in on a secret, a universal truth that transcends the fanboy bickering of these GPU threads: ITPS. It's The Performance, Stupid.

Only if Nvidia's benchmarks stops sending AMD shuffling down the hall looking for toilet paper, only on that day might all the secondary minutiae and internal business politics begin to matter. So despite the keyboard proclamations about "never buying Nvidia again cuz they were meen to AMD and plus the NDAs" - people are going to see the 11 series benches, and then people are going to camp out on Newegg all day wearing out F5 just to get a taste.

On the one hand, I'm hella curious about what comes out next but on the other hand, I'm getting kinda antsy about how much better they are going to be than my Titan Xp setup.

Just when I thought my credit card was done smoking, of course new graphics cards come out! :-D

Back