NVIDIA Promises Spectacular Surprises

17190FDB-E95C-4659-8380-701F3433BC1C.png
It’s okay I’ve been hit with a bigger green weenie before, nvidia ain’t got shit on the army.
Comment of the week right here.

GTX 1150 - 25% faster than GTX 1060 6GB 149.99 MSRP
GTX 1160 - 25% faster than GTX 1070 249.99 MSRP
GTX 1170 - 25% faster than GTX 1080 399.99 MSRP
GTX 1180 - 35% faster than GTX 1080 Ti 549.99 MSRP

IMO that would be worthy of his statements.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't need something comparable to the 1080 ti, the performance per dollar ratio is way lower with that option than the 1070, or even 1080. So that's not a concern for me.

But yeah, my experience is that nVidia for Linux drivers has been quite on-point too, and I want that to continue ;P

Nvidia pretty much always has Linux drivers come out around the same time for video card releases. Considering AMD's performance in Linux is still worse then NVidia's (though it is getting much better compared to 5 years ago) .

Currently AMD doesn't have a competitor to the 1080Ti, and if time is important to you I don't see a comparable AMD card in the pipeline till at least 1.5+ yrs away.

No one here is realizing that they have been releasing incremental improvements while AMD has slowly become somewhat competitive on both sides (CPU and GPU), and that nvidia has deep pockets as a result. This could be a squash the bug type announcement, but because rip nvidia for normal business practice is what we do here... would be hilarious if they showed 50% plus performance over AMD here on [H] - not saying or expect they will, just the reaction would be amazingly hilarious.

GPPP? Extra P for being a prick! Kidding aside, I really do hope it is an announcement for consumer GPU release and not just another prosumer card.

No one here is realizing that they have been releasing incremental improvements while AMD has slowly become somewhat competitive on both sides (CPU and GPU), and that nvidia has deep pockets as a result. This could be a squash the bug type announcement, but because rip nvidia for normal business practice is what we do here... would be hilarious if they showed 50% plus performance over AMD here on [H] - not saying or expect they will, just the reaction would be amazingly hilarious.

Nvidia has earned all of the bad press lately and they deserve the criticism. [H] will show a honest review like they always have, it will just be later since Nvidia wont send them a sample. I honestly expect it to be underwhelming tho.

Their CEO said last month there would be no new video cards for a long time.

Is three months considered to be a long time?

I don't think so. And if they do release the new cards... It's just another example of them lying to their customers.

You mean us AMD Fans would laugh at your reaction when you find out how much it costs? :D :) ;)

Their CEO said last month there would be no new video cards for a long time.

Is three months considered to be a long time?

I don't think so. And if they do release the new cards... It's just another example of them lying to their customers.
A "long time" is subjective. It wouldn't be lying unless he said that they plan to release in March of 2019. At the point this was leaked, 3 more months is a long time to many people.

GTX 1150 - 25% faster than GTX 1060 6GB 149.99 MSRP
GTX 1160 - 25% faster than GTX 1070 249.99 MSRP
GTX 1170 - 25% faster than GTX 1080 399.99 MSRP
GTX 1180 - 35% faster than GTX 1080 Ti 549.99 MSRP

IMO that would be worthy of his statements.

I expect a top card 20% faster than a 1080ti with a 300$ higher MSRP (than a 1080ti).

Mid/low tier cards not to arrive until Nvidia sold every last 2 year old chip that they are now sitting on.

Or simply a cut down Volta without tensor cores and way less HBM, rebranded as a Titan platinum epeen at still a ridiculous price, but no new normal cards
Like half the price of a Titan V

Too much stock of the old ones

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I wouldn't mind a return to a truly competitive GPU market with 3+ real competitors.

In 2000-2003 the fastest GPU money could buy cost about $350. There has been some inflation since, but not enough to account for the ridiculous costs of modern GPU's.

Because of the lack of competition release scheduled have slowed (In 2000, Nvidia was launching a new GPU generation every 6 months) and pricing has go e thorough the roof.

Maybe if AMD's RTG gets their shit together now that AMD has had success with Ryzen and can afford R&D again and Intel follows through on their discrete GPU plans this time, we might actually return there.

No one is going to enter a market where competition has so much money and expertise. Confirmation that Intel is making anything for the consumer market?

Nvidia and surprises a match made in heaven...

Spectacular surprises eh? If that is not setting expectations high, I do not know what it.

Maybe they are going to announce they are back designing new video cards for gamers (because the crypto-crazies have abandoned them)?

"Buy more, Save more"

Man I'd forgotten he said that a few months back. I can see it now, some ridiculously overpriced top tier card($1000-$2000), but wait were also proud to announce our new cloud based gaming service and look at what cards were powering it with . . ."

Better have Linux drivers out the gate, or my money goes to red.

Isn't has always been the case with nvidia? Sure their open source driver is pale in comparison to AMD but from what i remember they don't really have an issue delivering their official driver. On AMD side their open source driver is good but most often ot still take sometime for the driver to be truly ready. Maybe a few months after official release of their new card.

I wouldn't mind a return to a truly competitive GPU market with 3+ real competitors.

In 2000-2003 the fastest GPU money could buy cost about $350. There has been some inflation since, but not enough to account for the ridiculous costs of modern GPU's.

Because of the lack of competition release scheduled have slowed (In 2000, Nvidia was launching a new GPU generation every 6 months) and pricing has go e thorough the roof.

Maybe if AMD's RTG gets their shit together now that AMD has had success with Ryzen and can afford R&D again and Intel follows through on their discrete GPU plans this time, we might actually return there.

Part of the problem is we want all these company to compete among themselves (so it can benefit us). But because of that they end up killing and devouring each other. What we see right now is the end result. Sad thing is if we want amd and intel to be a serious competitor to nvidia we need nvidia to abuse their current position for being ahead. Amd would not be able catch up to intel with Ryzen if intel seriously pumping 20%-30% IPC increase for each generation with their cpu.

I think I figured out what the SPECTACULAR SURPRISES" are:

nVidia T-shirts that we get to pay $40 per T so that we can pay nVidia to advertise for them :barefoot:

nVidia T-shirts that we get to pay $40 per T so that we can pay nVidia to advertise for them :barefoot:
Back to the drawing board?

More like 40 dollars per thread.

Reactions: _l_
like this
Well, thus far I do believe nVidia has had them out of the gate. And I want them to keep doing that ;PPP

Isn't has always been the case with nvidia? Sure their open source driver is pale in comparison to AMD but from what i remember they don't really have an issue delivering their official driver. On AMD side their open source driver is good but most often ot still take sometime for the driver to be truly ready. Maybe a few months after official release of their new card.

The logo? Its actually an eye. For the Green Eyed Monster "Envy" (in)vi-dia. They want to be the company that everyone envies.
https://wccftech.com/nvidias-name-origins-history-roman-mythology/

View attachment 93178
He may be referring to the eagle claw used for the GeForce logo. This was my desktop background for a long time. It does look like a fish head from the right angle, so Kyle was just making a joke.
upload_2018-8-1_10-23-12.png

Um, how many people do you actually think use Linux for a workstation? There are entire companies that do that, btw. So, get with the times, gramps.
Are those workstations using GeForce, though? GeForce and Quadro drivers are different branches.

We will never return there. Your view of the past is very simplistic.

6 month release schedule, it has been getting longer with each generation. The GPUs back then were simple things compared to the massively complicated things they have become. And with each die shrink, it gets more and more difficult and the GPUs get more and more complicated.

In your price analysis, you forgot that costs have greatly increased, it's not just inflation.

If AMD and Intel do get very competitive, we won't have the huge reduction in prices that you seem to think will happen. It might mean a bit more effort put into special offers, but, GPUs will still cost a lot.

He may be referring to the eagle claw used for the GeForce logo. This was my desktop background for a long time. It does look like a fish head from the right angle, so Kyle was just making a joke.
View attachment 93219

Are those workstations using GeForce, though? GeForce and Quadro drivers are different branches.
It’s a mix, I’ve never seen an OEM Linux build with a GTX level card though. So for me I’ve only seen GT or Quadro.

Nvidia has earned all of the bad press lately and they deserve the criticism. [H] will show a honest review like they always have, it will just be later since Nvidia wont send them a sample. I honestly expect it to be underwhelming tho.
I see that Kyle has liked this post, but you've been on long enough to see that this is cyclical like the great AMD Nano debacle of 2015(?). It will always come and go. But today it's trendy to bash nvidia - and some of their recent practices have been appalling, but the AMD fans continually forget they aren't much different from what AMD has performed in the past... So great for AMD becoming competitive (like I've regurgitated 100x) and we'll see what the big announcement is, but always remember "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

Back