NVIDIA GK104 Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not with a 256 bit memory bus it's not...that would have to be OC'd to cherry red hot.

nvidia had a 384 bit bus with the 580 and it had about the same bandwidth as the 6970 with a 256 bit bus. i am sure nvidia is running the ram at a higher speed.

nvidia had a 384 bit bus with the 580 and it had about the same bandwidth as the 6970 with a 256 bit bus. i am sure nvidia is running the ram at a higher speed.

I think you just proved my point...NV is lowering the memory bus, which would make it slower!

Not that this matters because this seems more like BS or it's their 560 replacement.

I think you just proved my point...NV is lowering the memory bus, which would make it slower!

Not that this matters because this seems more like BS or it's their 560 replacement.

if you lower the bus and run the ram at a faster speed it will not be slower. look at the 580 and the 6970. one is a 256bit bus and the other is a 384bit bus, but they have about the same memory bandwidth.

if you lower the bus and run the ram at a faster speed it will not be slower. look at the 580 and the 6970. one is a 256bit bus and the other is a 384bit bus, but they have about the same memory bandwidth.

My point being they would have to run the ram much faster to be just as efficient if the gpu cores are equal so why go from a 384/512 memory bus down to 256...especially when the 7970 moved up in memory bus width?

um you have an A64 6400 X2 with a gtx570? that cpu is already a MASSIVE limitation for you current gtx570.

This is true.

Guys, seriously...I am 100% aware of this.
As my sig also states, I am in the process of upgrading my X2 6400+ to an 1155 system.

Bit of backstory for those that care:
I bought the GTX 570 because I knew after researching and reading a lot of reviews that it was going to have a longer usable life and provide a HUGE performance gain than my GTX 275. That, and I had just upgraded my wife's system from an old A64 single core to a SB i3, and the GTX 275 is perfect for her needs. So why the hell not get myself a better GPU? :D

Since I typically skip every other generation of GPU and I'm not one to go out and but a new game on release day (I still don't have nor ever played Skyrim, BF3, or CoD:MW3), the 570 will work great for me for quite some time to come. But as I stated earlier, if Kepler is truly going to provide double the performance over GTX 5xx, then I may just be upgrading my GPU, as well.

Of course, this is going to depend on how crazy I go with spending money on my 1155 upgrade: My priority is the MoBo and CPU, but I'm also thinking about snagging a 256GB SSD and a couple of single platter 1TB drives, which comes out to around another $550-575 on top of the MoBo and CPU. :cool:

Alas, I can't do squat until my tax return hit my bank account and I sell off a few odds and ends I have laying around. :(

CLIFFS:
1. GTX 570 > GTX 275, even on my X2 6400+
2. I've only a few items left to purchase for completing my 1155 upgrade.
3. After that, both me and my GTX 570 will be breathing a sigh of relief.

can't wait to have more info on this gpu...
don't forget to post new rumor here if you have one.

2GB and a 256 bit memory bus is a mega fail, I don't see it outperforming the 7970 unless if NVIDIA surprised us.

My neighbor recently installed license plates that say "GORORY 7970 FTW".

I know he's not an AMD fanboi, because he told me so,
but tonight he was sobbing and sniveling all night long on his porch.

What was that all about?

Well Charlie of all people is saying the GK104 is better than the 7970. http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/19/nvidia-kepler-vs-amd-gcn-has-a-clear-winner/ Either Nvidia has started bribing Charlie or the GK104 is so good even he can't spin it in a bad light for Nvidia. :eek:

WTF???:confused:

This guy of all people saying something like this means like you say, either Charlie is being bribed or a lot of 7970 owners are going to cry in a couple of months. I'll be ready to buy three at launch for sure if the latter is true.

I thought Charlie's post was extremely odd as well, especially considering his history. Also, what metrics is he discussing? If the card is only on a 256-bit bus, it's already going to have less memory bandwidth. It also only has 2GB of vRAM (lol @ "only"). There's two metrics it's already down. Reports also indicate that it will be a 225W part, which, judging by NVIDIA's historic understatement of power consumption and TDPs, I'm guessing it consumes the same or more power than a 7970. I don't know, this is all very interesting.

I thought Charlie's post was extremely odd as well, especially considering his history. Also, what metrics is he discussing? If the card is only on a 256-bit bus, it's already going to have less memory bandwidth. I.

NVIDIA has figured out how to boost the PCI 3.0 slots?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25636-nvidia-28nm-gk104-gpu-specs-revealed

Nvidia's next-generation 28nm GPU architecture, codenamed Kepler, is officially expected to launch in early Q2 2012 according to the latest schedule we have seen from the company. Although the company will technically be launching one quarter behind AMD, we can still expect to see a few noteworthy design wins in the enthusiast and performance segments, beginning with GK110 in April and following up with GK104, GK107 and GK108.

The latest report from sources overseas claims that Nvidia's GK104 GPU, the successor to 40nm GF114 (see: Geforce GTX 560, Geforce GTX 560 Ti), will feature a 256-bit memory interface, will pack 2GB of memory capacity and should have a 225W TDP. Nevertheless, the GK104 will most likely be branded as Geforce GTX 660 and may very well have a Geforce GTX 660 Ti variant later down the release roadmap.

Many analysts are expecting 28nm GK104 to get a big boost in CUDA cores. Some estimates are projecting as many as 768 CUDA cores or "well above 2 teraflops" of raw performance, which roughly equates to 50-percent more compute power than the current flagship Geforce GTX 580 single-GPU card with its 1.56 teraflops. While we don't have exact information on these specifications yet, we expect more information on the exact details of CUDA cores, texture units and ROPs in the very near future.

I thought Charlie's post was extremely odd as well, especially considering his history. Also, what metrics is he discussing? If the card is only on a 256-bit bus, it's already going to have less memory bandwidth. It also only has 2GB of vRAM (lol @ "only"). There's two metrics it's already down. Reports also indicate that it will be a 225W part, which, judging by NVIDIA's historic understatement of power consumption and TDPs, I'm guessing it consumes the same or more power than a 7970. I don't know, this is all very interesting.

Note that the 2900XT's 128GB/s of memory bandwidth plus having 33% more RAM meant squat against the 8800GTX's 86.4GB/s bandwidth.

NVIDIA has figured out how to boost the PCI 3.0 slots?
um what? memory bandwidth has nothing to do with that. no slot could ever make up for not having enough memory bandwidth.

and none of these rumors are making sense. some people are calling this high end and others are not. there is NO way that Nvidia's high end card will only have a 256bit bus.

Note that the 2900XT's 128GB/s of memory bandwidth plus having 33% more RAM meant squat against the 8800GTX's 86.4GB/s bandwidth.
Right. I'm not saying memory bandwidth will directly correlate with relative performance, I just named three metrics which GK104 already seems to be behind in. So if Charlie says, "The short story is that Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) will win this round on just about every metric," it leaves me wondering.
um what? memory bandwidth has nothing to do with that. no slot could ever make up for not having enough memory bandwidth.
Yeah I was just going to say...
and none of these rumors are making sense. some people are calling this high end and others are not. there is NO way that Nvidia's high end card will only have a 256bit bus.
I think some people assumed that NVIDIA would release a flagship since AMD released theirs. By all accounts, this is the mid-range part, with the flagship arriving later in the summer.

Hmm I'm not too happy about 225W TDP.
I was hoping 32nm process will give us performance of 580 in 150Watts max.

Then again if it's faster than 7970 and comes at power budget of my 470 but with quiet cooler I'll finally have something to upgrade to.

If its a replacement for the mid range 560Ti, then I think a 256-bit bus fits that segment fine.

Figure I'll add a bit more fuel to the speculating fire...

Both Charlie & Kyle are saying good things about Kepler, yet Kyle is going with twin 7970's in his own build....

Hmm....

yet Kyle is going with twin 7970's in his own build....

Hmm....

For now because it's available, sort of. When April comes if Charlie is right count on Kyle switching. He's switched plenty of times before.

More drama for your mama.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12324/

NVIDIA Kepler GK-104 GPU Specifications Leaked - Should AMD Worry?
We just ran across news that a site in China called inpai.com.cn has leaked what they are believe are the final specifications of NVIDIA’s upcoming Kepler based GK-104 GPU. This is big news for NVIDIA fans as it will be the companies first 28nm GPU and features a number of architecture changes. According to the site, the NVIDIA GK-104 GPU is going to feature 2GB of GDDR5 memory on a 256-bit memory bus with a TDP of 225W. If memory serves me correctly current ratings on common cards are 170W on the GeForce GTX 560 Ti and 244W on the GeForce GTX 580. The site goes on to say that the GK-104 is a direct replacement to the GF-114 (the GPU used on the GeForce GTX 560 Ti) and will be released first. From what we are hearing NVIDIA plans on releasing the very first Kepler based GPUs in April 2012. During CES 2012 we sat down with NVIDIA and they wouldn't talk about Kepler on the record, but off the record that they expected to see more from the AMD Radeon HD 7970. From our face-to-face conversation with NVIDIA we walked away with the feeling that they were underwhelmed by what they saw and that Kepler would be able to easily leap frog the Radeon HD 7900 series. Time will obviously tell if this is the truth, but if the GK-104 is faster than the AMD Radeon HD 7970 the folks over at AMD better get back to work. You can read a broken chinglish translation of some of the source site below.

Hope more news comes out today.

February is coming soon.

Looks like those with eyes behind the veil are seeing a major break through for the 28nm NVIDIA cards.

225W TDP will not bother me at all if the card is $299 and it beats a HD7950 in performance.

The 8800GTX really send a shockwave through the videocard landscape. It really makes me wonder if Nvidia's Kepler is going to repeat history again.

If it does, I might have a successor for my GTX 560, which I'm still very, very happy with.

That sounds great and all but if the $400 price tag is true then I'm going to wait. What is their top single gpu card going to cost? $700 or something outlandish like that?

The 8800GTX really send a shockwave through the videocard landscape. It really makes me wonder if Nvidia's Kepler is going to repeat history again.

If it does, I might have a successor for my GTX 560, which I'm still very, very happy with.
the only shockwave it sent through me was from it being a ridiculous price.

:rolleyes:

Completely rolled any other card that was out until the next generation, even then it was still pretty good.
wtf are you rolling your eyes about? I dont give a shit how fast it was as it was the price that was ridiculous to me. the gtx280/gtx260 were ridiculously priced at launch too. when the 4870/4850 came out though prices came down to what I consider acceptable. I paid 190 bucks for a gtx260 while people had paid THREE times that for an 8800gtx just a few months earlier. skipping the 8800gtx was a very smart decision for me.

wtf are you rolling your eyes about? I dont give a shit how fast it was as it was the price that was ridiculous to me.

You bitched about it being expensive, I told you why.

If you had the best product in the market by a large margin would you sell it for really cheap?

You bitched about it being expensive, I told you why.

If you had the best product in the market by a large margin would you sell it for really cheap?
I am well aware of how things work but that does not change the fact that 600 bucks is ridiculous to me for a single gpu card. see my edited post.

I am well aware of how things work but that does not change the fact that 600 bucks is ridiculous to me for a single gpu card. see my edited post.

Look, I agree 100% with you and I don't waste my time with the newest and best since I know it's generally a waste of money since a few months later its cheaper, but a lot of people want the best now and don't care about the price.

so it will be faster than GTX 580 and it will be replacement for gtx 560 ti, so are they telling me that it is going to cost less than 300 bucks? if that is true than great, but I think this is just hype, why the hell would nvidia price a card that is faster than anything in the market and call it replacement of 560ti. It sounds ridiculous and I will only believe it is replacement of 560ti if it is priced to replace that. If it is priced at 550 than it is no way in hell replacing 560ti.

Sounds like nvidia just wants people to wait. I bet they price this thing closer to or above 7970.

so it will be faster than GTX 580 and it will be replacement for gtx 560 ti, so are they telling me that it is going to cost less than 300 bucks? if that is true than great, but I think this is just hype, why the hell would nvidia price a card that is faster than anything in the market and call it replacement of 560ti. It sounds ridiculous and I will only believe it is replacement of 560ti if it is priced to replace that. If it is priced at 550 than it is no way in hell replacing 560ti.

Sounds like nvidia just wants people to wait. I bet they price this thing closer to or above 7970.
um its perfectly normal for a next gen card to match or beat a higher performing previous gen card while keeping its same price bracket. it would be stupid if the gtx660 matched the gtx580 but cost the same price as the gtx580. heck there was a time when next gen cards nearly doubled performance at almost the same price point. releasing a card only slightly faster than previous gen and then still charging more for it is silly.

Last edited:
If it will be faster then 580... and propably as good as 7979... then I can't wait for their flagship card :))

Well, my momma is coming out with a new line of cards that will completely, absolutely and forever kill anything that either AMD or nVidia could possibly ever release in the next 5 yrs......and the highest end card will only cost $100 @launch :eek:

She currently has over $1B in secured agreements with online retailers to start selling the cards next week, and if her overflowing mailbox is any indication, she will be selling ALOT more than that just from her garage alone.

lookie here for more info: www.mommasvideocardrevolution.netorgcomxxx

FYI: as House always says: everybody lies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back