Nvidia GeForce Live Event

Keen for these 1080 gtx price drops. Considering its 699 usd, in Australia the 1080 gtx is still going from 900 to 1200 aud right now lol. Damn expensive and not even worth that price. I reckon its gonna be over 1200 here in Australia but we shall see. I personally thought the 1080 gtx was dissapointing for its price and still is.

I am calling bullshit on some of the stuff he said, yes the demo machine is faster than a Titan XP but its clocked to 2000mhz. Yet the official specs show its boost clock as 1582mhz...

The question to me is, will my EK Full cover block from my Titan X also fit the 1080Ti?

Not going to happen due to the revised VRM i'd say, also there is no reason to upgrade a water-cooled Titan XP, its still likely to be slightly faster or the same.

Wow $699 price, better than Titan, and available next week. nVidia sure likes to give the fuck you to AMD.

I am calling bullshit on some of the stuff he said, yes the demo machine is faster than a Titan XP but its clocked to 2000mhz. Yet the official specs show its boost clock as 1582mhz...

Same amount of cores. Even if it's 1% faster...it's 1% faster at $500 less.

I don't claim to fully understand how boost clocks work on Nvidia boards, but every single recent Nvidia GPU I've owned has boosted way above it's rated boost clocks out of the box, without any overclocking.

Maybe that is a worst case number for really high temps?

I don't claim to fully understand how boost clocks work on Nvidia boards, but every single recent Nvidia GPU I've owned has boosted way above it's rated boost clocks out of the box, without any overclocking.

Maybe that is a worst case number for really high temps?

Most cards boost to around 1850mhz with good temps. I haven't seen a single Titan XP that doesn't do 2000mhz. Usually 2050-2100mhz

people predicting nvidia will go crazy with the pricing all the time but it seems nvidia try still not dare to cross $699 for official MSRP. (well unless they are titan)

780ti -$699
980ti -$649
1080ti -$699

also according to anandtech the only difference this 1080ti vs titan x pascal will be that less VRAM and ROP count. it's INT 8 performance will be unlock just like titan XP....so...any chance that something similar to 290X happen with this card?

Single slot watercooled will be popular. Seriously, I don't give it a week before someone announces a factory built model like that.

So, price cuts on the 1070 and 1080, but no love for the 1060?

Are they not paying attention to these full-frontal assaults fro the RX 480/470? It would also open back-up that price gap between 1060 and 1070.

So, price cuts on the 1070 and 1080, but no love for the 1060?

Are they not paying attention to these full-frontal assaults fro the RX 480/470? It would also open back-up that price gap between 1060 and 1070.
where did you see price cut for 1070?

The new high watermark in VR GPU, displacing the Titan X on Kyle's VR Leaderboard™

And a day too late to return my Strix 1070. Damn. I thought for sure late Q2 for 1080Ti to actually ship.

Oh well, NV whoremode engaged - I must have the precious.

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.techpowerup.com/231125/nvidia-cuts-price-of-the-geforce-gtx-1070-down-to-usd-349

Considering AMD has been going crazy with price cuts of their own (RX 480 8GB MSRP = $220), there's now a fucking stupid $30-$40 gap between that and the 1060 6GB.

The 1060 had a competitive price at-launch, but has only moved a few dollars. WTF, Nvidia?

oh. i did not see that. but to my knowledge AMD never officially cut the price on RX480. i think nvidia probably will not respond until there is official announcement from AMD. also it will depends on how 1060 still selling right now. if the sales numbers are not really that affected by the cheaper price on AMD cards nvidia probably will not going to drop price. the margin on this segment already small to begin with compared to the high end.

While I'm very happy with my Gigabyte 1070 -- I'm really tempted to pick up a nice aftermarket version once the initial rush settles down. I only game at 1440p, but my E-peen sure would love to have the ultimate. Plus, I'd be interested in taking a dip in the VR pool if/when the Vive2 comes out.

While I'm very happy with my Gigabyte 1070 -- I'm really tempted to pick up a nice aftermarket version once the initial rush settles down. I only game at 1440p, but my E-peen sure would love to have the ultimate. Plus, I'd be interested in taking a dip in the VR pool if/when the Vive2 comes out.
You are in for a rude awakening trying to push a 1080 ti in some games with an i5.

You are in for a rude awakening trying to push a 1080 ti in some games with an i5.

Doubt it. Very few titles are CPU limited with ANY GPU.

Usually when you run into CPU limits, it's because you are trying to go for very high framerates at 1080p or lower, but he said he is running at 1440p.

There certainly are some titles that are more CPU limited than others, but I highly doubt he'd run into problems with a [email protected].

For games, single threaded performance is still king, and a 6600K@ 4.5Ghz is still up there.

Come on EVGA, get me my confirmation for my ICX 1070 so I can StepUp to the 1080TI :)

Doubt it. Very few titles are CPU limited with ANY GPU.

Usually when you run into CPU limits, it's because you are trying to go for very high framerates at 1080p or lower, but he said he is running at 1440p.

There certainly are some titles that are more CPU limited than others, but I highly doubt he'd run into problems with a [email protected].

For games, single threaded performance is still king, and a 6600K@ 4.5Ghz is still up there.
You can doubt it all you want but Watch Dogs 1 and 2 both run WAY better on an i7 than an i5. By that I mean not only better framerate but much better smoothness. Heck Mafia 3 is a stutterfest if I disable HT on my 4770k and minimums fall by 45%. And I have several other games that fully peg my cpu if HT is disabled. Buying a $700 gpu to pair with an i5 in 2017 is stupid IMO as not only will you not get all the gpu has to offer there will be some stuttering and hitching in some games.

Keen for these 1080 gtx price drops. Considering its 699 usd, in Australia the 1080 gtx is still going from 900 to 1200 aud right now lol. Damn expensive and not even worth that price. I reckon its gonna be over 1200 here in Australia but we shall see. I personally thought the 1080 gtx was dissapointing for its price and still is.

I game with several aussies, I know how badly yall get fucked from taxes on anything gaming related, do what we do, get a friend to ship you stuff from the states. Shipping is expensive, but it still saves a bunch of money. Example, we were all wanting to get a golf game on the xbox to fuck around with since thats all we were doing in GTA anyway. $2.50 used at gamestop for the US guys, $70 used for my Oz buddies. I bought him a copy and it cost $15 to ship.

Just got back from the live event. I came away from this event with two things...

1 - I need a new GPU (Because this shit is cool and my card is many generations behind anyways)
2 - I need a 27" G sync monitor!

Aside from all the finger foods and free alcohol/soda I could have, playing on the rigs was definitely good to get acquainted with some new hardware and games. I played Tekken 7, Division 2(I think), Resident Evil 7, and a couple others I forgot the name.

PC rigs were Maingear PC's, Logitech 710 keyboard/mouse/headset with RGB, PowerA controllers for Tekken 7, and Acer Nvidia G Sync monitors.

Last edited:
Just got back from the live event. I came away from this event with two things...

1 - I need a new GPU (Because this shit is cool and my card is many generations behind anyways)
2 - I need a 27" G sync monitor!

Aside from all the finger foods and free alcohol/soda I could have, playing on the rigs was definitely good to get acquainted with some new hardware and games. I played Tekken 7, Division 2(I think), Resident Evil 7, and a couple others I forgot the name.

PC rigs were Maingear PC's, Logitech 710 keyboard/mouse/headset with RGB, PowerA controllers for Tekken 7, and Acer Nvidia G Sync monitors.

You won't be disappointed with Gsync. I went team green for Pascal, and dropped the money on a Dell S2716DG, and it's smoother than Dr. Evil's scrotum. After experiencing Gsync in the flesh and getting used to it, there's no way I'd go back to any regular sort of gaming setup. Many will argue, but yes, it's totally worth the money.

Many go with the Acer/Asus line of IPS 27" gsync monitors, but they wind up playing RMA panel lottery for weeks/months because quality control is pretty bad. When you get one that's perfect, it's a dream monitor. I went with the Dell (TN panel) but it's amazing after a good calibration. Quality was flawless out of the box and a good deal cheaper than the Predator series.

As the awesome/friendly, dare I say sexy mod Zara pointed out... odds are it won't matter at all.

Comments like yours kind of make me want to order two 1080TI's and put one in my mom's computer (who only ever surfs ebay) just to spite you, when its not your money on the table you really have no say in the matter. I've been running highly OC'd i5's since the 2500k, and have never had a single issue, even when I was feeding Xfire 290's.

Ever built machines or done contract work? People want what they want, and when they are forking over the cash you give them what they want. Daddy wants a 1080TI, so daddy gets a 1080TI.

As the awesome/friendly, dare I say sexy mod Zara pointed out... odds are it won't matter at all.

Comments like yours kind of make me want to order two 1080TI's and put one in my mom's computer (who only ever surfs ebay) just to spite you, when its not your money on the table you really have no say in the matter. I've been running highly OC'd i5's since the 2500k, and have never had a single issue, even when I was feeding Xfire 290's.

Ever built machines or done contract work? People want what they want, and when they are forking over the cash you give them what they want. Daddy wants a 1080TI, so daddy gets a 1080TI.
Of course I have no say in what you actually do. This is a public forum though so I have the right to make comments about what people say just like you do. But hell dont let my own personal experience testing games with and without HT stop you. Go ahead and experience some stuttering and hitching for yourself especially in Mafia 3.

well shit, I just bought my 1080 in december before I heard about the possible ti....thats what happens when you buy stuff when you havent been in the PC scene for years.......might get this anyway in a few months. lol

Hopefully I can get a 1070 for like near $300 in the coming months. You know, some kind of mail-in rebate or sale.

Wow didn't' expect the 1080ti so soon after I watched Hitler crying about it in the ryzen video lol. Don't even need that much power, VR so far is pretty sad, we need 4k gen 2 machines, 1440k is still too pixelated. I only play blizzard games right now so I don't even need my 1080. In facti just took it to work to start mining and plugged my old gtx 670 to my dell 34 and it runs everything 100+fps from blizzy. $700 is bloody nice though. I wonder why they chose to sandbag Ryzen rather than Vega though. The timing is weird. Last time they did that with the 980Ti, they pretty much killed Fury. Maybe hopes Vega is even faster than 1080Ti and they released it to give it a few months to make some money before the new king overtakes all?!?!?!

Single slot on water ... that would be nice ... my last dream is it run with Tesla driver to get rid of X for computing

Waiting for HDMI 2.1...I think next year will be the year I do a full system update. Update my TV, receiver and computer.

Wow $699 price, better than Titan, and available next week. nVidia sure likes to give the fuck you to AMD.

Well see. One card on the shelf at their local Best Buy covers the "Available Next Week" statement :)

Back