Nvidia GeForce Live Event

How long before we have performance reviews? I have a build in progress and was planning on a pair of Titan XPs, but if 1080 Tis will squeak in more performance for half the price, I'm in.

You can doubt it all you want but Watch Dogs 1 and 2 both run WAY better on an i7 than an i5. By that I mean not only better framerate but much better smoothness. Heck Mafia 3 is a stutterfest if I disable HT on my 4770k and minimums fall by 45%. And I have several other games that fully peg my cpu if HT is disabled. Buying a $700 gpu to pair with an i5 in 2017 is stupid IMO as not only will you not get all the gpu has to offer there will be some stuttering and hitching in some games.

Watch dogs 1 and 2, sure but those are known to be CPU bound. Mafia 3 though...that's just a clusterfuck of a game. Optimization is non existent, so I wouldn't use that as an example.

I'm quite impressed that no one is yelling paper launch. GTX 1070/1080 had everyone screaming paper launch since apparently announcement = paper launch now.

Am I the only one that thinks $700 is a lot for a video card?

It'll probably be $1000 Canadian. This is why we desperately need competition in this space. I'm pretty sure the only reason I was even able to afford a GTX 1060 was because the RX 480 came out at the $199 price point and Nvidia wanted to remain competitive in this space.

You can doubt it all you want but Watch Dogs 1 and 2 both run WAY better on an i7 than an i5. By that I mean not only better framerate but much better smoothness. Heck Mafia 3 is a stutterfest if I disable HT on my 4770k and minimums fall by 45%. And I have several other games that fully peg my cpu if HT is disabled. Buying a $700 gpu to pair with an i5 in 2017 is stupid IMO as not only will you not get all the gpu has to offer there will be some stuttering and hitching in some games.
Yes, well, you're also the same guy who claimed your 750 Ti was faster than an RX480 with older games.

It'll probably be $1000 Canadian. This is why we desperately need competition in this space. I'm pretty sure the only reason I was even able to afford a GTX 1060 was because the RX 480 came out at the $199 price point and Nvidia wanted to remain competitive in this space.
It is a lot. However it's for a top end card. The prices keep on going up and up on them.
I'm going to wait until i see the performance compared to vega, as well as the price of vega. that should be out in a month or two.
30% faster could be a cherry picked benchmark with no real world application.

Man that's a solid price....as a Team AMDer....they NEED to get Vega rolling and get some numbers to people ASAP....the little circle jerk ice cream social or whatever yesterday isn't going to keep people form jumping into the 1080ti pool to wait for Vega.

I'll not disagree with the need for competition, but I do not know if this card is an example of bad behavior. This is the absolute top end gaming card, not something for the everyman. As with all markets, you buy the top end, you're going to pay for it.

As you point out, there are plenty of cards which can run all the games fine for just a couple hundred bucks. No, you're not going to run top end settings on a low-mid range card. And my honda doesn't do a quarter mile in 10 seconds either. :)

Vote with your wallets. If nobody buys something at 700 bucks, it won't be 700 bucks for long. Alternately, if many people do, I'd argue it is worth 700 bucks, by definition.

Sure it's a lot, but it's a high-end gpu. If you have a high-res high-refresh rate screen a 1060 may not be enough. It's like asking "who the hell needs a Lamborghini when you can buy a Volkswagen".

It is, BUT!

Go back to 2007... GeForce 8800 ULTRA (kinda like 8800Ti), price? $830!!!!!!! (That is $1000 in 2017).

Ten years later and we get a 1080Ti for $699. Holy mother of god, this is a great time for hardware.

I mean, a 1080Ti +1800X = $1200. Just add mobo, ssd+hdd, memory and a PSU and you got yourself a super computer for like $2000!!!!

Good times, good times.

Oh, that might be $3000 in Canada, but health care is "free". Better deal in my books.

Last edited:

Meh, let whoever wants the fastest card for x months pay that premium.

Depends on how much money you make... I am blessed to have enough burnable cash where I stay on the top end now... I have SLI 1080's 700 apiece.... but I am going SLI 1080TI on my RYZEN box. 699 for better than TITAN X power is cheap really. I have a 34" $K Acer monitor.. I have to have the big power cards. its all relative.

Depends on how much money you make... I am blessed to have enough burnable cash where I stay on the top end now... I have SLI 1080's 700 apiece.... but I am going SLI 1080TI on my RYZEN box. 699 for better than TITAN X power is cheap really. I have a 34" $K Acer monitor.. I have to have the big power cards. its all relative.

Sigh....I miss having disposable income from my single days lol...

Haven't been able to do a true tippy-top gaming build since my XP 2700+ and 9700 Pro bulid back in the day....but the mid-ground is full of great deals right now. The RX480 is a stellar card for the current prices if you're not rocking a monster monitor like yourself.

It is, BUT!

Go back to 2007... GeForce 8800 ULTRA (kinda like 8800Ti), price? $830!!!!!!! (That is $1000 in 2017).

Ten years later and we get a 1080Ti for $699. Holy mother of god, this is a great time for hardware.

I mean, a 1080Ti +1800X = $1200. Just add mobo, ssd+hdd, memory and a PSU and you got yourself a super computer for like $2000!!!!

Good times, good times.

Oh, that might be $3000 in Canada, but health care is "free". Better deal in my books.

Thing is back then the US dolar was crap to the Euro so if you paid 699 USD we would pay around 699€ now we pay 850€ instead due to exchange rates

I don't get to buy any fun stuff anymore. Don't get married folks.

Marriage is better than a stupid video card, straight up. :) Besides, you eventually find that spending less for more in the computer hardware game is always best, anyways.

I use to think that but it's all relative. A starbucks coffee is way over priced compared to other coffee shops. It's about supply and demand and what people are willing to pay. Also I noticed the more money I make as I get older the more my price point becomes relative.

I use to think that but it's all relative. A starbucks coffee is way over priced compared to other coffee shops. It's about supply and demand and what people are willing to pay. Also I noticed the more money I make as I get older the more my price point becomes relative.

I would not have used that example. After all, Starbucks coffee is over priced and not very good, either.

So, when the wide rush is over at the end of March.......

This fall will be a good time to sit back and decide on a 1080 Ti SLi, (that 700 dollar price tag is just about what I expected) or this Vega business, whatever that is. I need to be enlightened on that a little......

I also think it's time to dump my Surround set up and get a single 40" 4K monitor.

The 1st point is that today you absolutely get a lot more bang for the buck when it comes to gaming hardware.

The 2nd point could be that you absolutely are paying more for US products because your country's economy is sucking compared to the US.

On the bright side of the 2nd point, you are absolutely making more money if you sell your products to the US.

So for those of us who bought a 1080, will there possibly be a rebate to buy a 1080ti??

Thing is back then the US dolar was crap to the Euro so if you paid 699 USD we would pay around 699€ now we pay 850€ instead due to exchange rates
Whose fault is that?

So for those of us who bought a 1080, will there possibly be a rebate to buy a 1080ti??

Nope. nVidia's release cycles and pricing structures have followed this exact pattern for many GPU generations, now.

If it was through EVGA you might be eligible for the step-up program once they announce that the 1080 Ti is available. Only have 90 days from original purchase though.

I'm anxious to see some benchmarks, I have one of the highly clocked 1080's and I'd like to see how they compare.

Not change rates, taxes. The US dollar still valued less than the EUR. And even back then when the difference was bigger, they still converted the prices 1:1. The only difference is the huge import and sales taxes that's get put on hardware sold here. So when the dollar was worse than the EUR prices were 1:1. Now that the USD is not significantly worse than EUR the prices are no longer 1:1.

ALOT of AMD fear these days..... you gotta love the smell of competition

Yep, last year Nvidia had us over a barrel with the $100 markup on the Founder's cards and limited availability.

I purposely bought a $399 1070 in August just for this reason. $1200 Titan X performance for $699 is a steal! Take my money now!!! :D:D:D

Sure it's a lot, but it's a high-end gpu. If you have a high-res high-refresh rate screen a 1060 may not be enough. It's like asking "who the hell needs a Lamborghini when you can buy a Volkswagen".
Thing that sucks is at that price you don't get stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn, RE7 VR, Death Stranding, Last Guardian, Bloodborne etc that aim to do something different. And a console is almost a better idea, save a bunch and play some unique fun games

My urge to buy video cards has dropped so drastically in the last few years. PC games are pretty meh (Dark Souls 3 was a pleasant surprise) the fact that Witcher 3 was so highly rated was baffling,was absolutely repetitive been there done that rehash of the first 2 games I couldn't believe it was considered one of the best games in the past few years. I bought a 470 for one kid so they could play Unturned without issue and I use my 1070 as a machine for my Cricut, still waiting on something that's catchy. Right now VR on PC is the big thing to buy for, PS VR lacks the crisp graphics

Did nvidia say in the announcement if this is going to be a buy from nvidia reference only card like it is with pascal titan X or will AIB partners be selling custom designs?

You get sex with marriage? News to me.

Otherwise, they make... assistant items...

Thing that sucks is at that price you don't get stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn, RE7 VR, Death Stranding, Last Guardian, Bloodborne etc that aim to do something different. And a console is almost a better idea, save a bunch and play some unique fun games

My urge to buy video cards has dropped so drastically in the last few years. PC games are pretty meh (Dark Souls 3 was a pleasant surprise) the fact that Witcher 3 was so highly rated was baffling,was absolutely repetitive been there done that rehash of the first 2 games I couldn't believe it was considered one of the best games in the past few years. I bought a 470 for one kid so they could play Unturned without issue and I use my 1070 as a machine for my Cricut, still waiting on something that's catchy. Right now VR on PC is the big thing to buy for, PS VR lacks the crisp graphics

I will admit that the console is cheaper, but it's also cheaper. These days, you can get by with a PS4 and then a high end computer. With Xbox being playable on your computer, you really don't even need the console to play an X1 exclusive.

So, is anybody else doing an R7-1700($330) + GTX1080Ti($700)? Hell, you can basically build an entire machine with those two for less than buying a Titan X(P) and 6950x.

I don't get to buy any fun stuff anymore. Don't get married folks.
Sounds like you married the wrong person.. lol. My wife and I watched the 1080Ti unveiling last night and she's excited I'm going to get it. (despite her not really being interested in computer products)

Back