PCPer.com TITAN X Review

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Ryan over at PCPer.com chimes in with his thoughts about the TITAN X as well this morning.

However, if you want the very best and you want it right now, you can't do any better than the new Titan X based on Pascal. It is 15-40% faster than the GeForce GTX 1080 based on GP104, a card that took the flagship title itself just a little over a month ago! If you are an owner of a GTX 980 Ti, you'll find the Titan X to be a 40-80% performance improvement with the higher end of that range kicking in if you are playing at 4K.

And I thought this was an interesting comment as well. WOW.

One area that I think needs some attention - AMD's lack of competition on the high end is starting to get ridiculous. In every game we tested, except Hitman, the Titan X is 70-120% faster than the fastest single GPU AMD graphics card, the AMD Fury X.

Now this is what I call a high-end GPU!

None of that trying to paddle a midrange SKU (GP104 / 1080) as high-end.

Big Pascal is here...and didn't take long ^^

AMD is just waiting until they can deliver 4K performance to mainstream! VR!

Never understood the "mainstream video card for VR". If you are spending $800 on a Vive why would you have not spent a decent amount on a gpu, which would be more functional in vr and regular gaming first. Until VR device prices go down of course then it makes more sense to go with a matching budget card.

Last edited:
Testing using 16.5.2 kinda sucks, didnt 16.7.3 claim %10 ROTR boost.

Power Draw when OC'ed going to 6A from MB was shocking, expect flood of "nvidia fried my MB" troll postings soon. Didnt expect that after 1080 was so low

Power Draw when OC'ed going to 6A from MB was shocking, expect flood of "nvidia fried my MB" troll postings soon. Didnt expect that after 1080 was so low
Actually, that was a typo. I used 16.7.2 for AMD and 368.98 for NVIDIA.

Ryan says multiple times in the comments that the driver version is a copy pasta typo from the RX 480 review.
upload_2016-8-3_11-19-57.png

1. People buying this card won't have cheap boards.
2. 6A when OC is a MAXIMUM not an average (see spoiler).

metro4k-oc-current_0.png

RX480 @ STOCK for comparison

w31080p-allzoom.png

1. People buying this card won't have cheap boards.
2. 6A when OC is a MAXIMUM not an average (see spoiler).

metro4k-oc-current_0.png

RX480 @ STOCK for comparison

w31080p-allzoom.png
Looks like it's averaging around 5.2-5.3 amps, well below the 6.25 amp combined limit from the slot. And this is overclocked. The RX 480 was pulling 7 amps average out of the box, for crying out loud...

Looks like a beefy card! Performance was about what people expected I think in relation to the 1080.

Too rich for my blood but I'm sure there are those out there willing to pay the premium.

Hmmm.. wondering if "RyanShrout" is really "The Ryan Shrout".. you know.. the straight man to Josh Walrath. I only totally believe famous names when they have the word "REAL" at the beginning of their names!!

Kyle to Ryan.. "Mine's bigger!!"
kyle_and_ryan.jpg

from 53 seconds into "Maximum Speed"

Ryan, if it is "really" you, welcome to [H], the best damn website for the past 18 years!!

Last edited:
Wow, that thing is a beast.

If the 1080Ti comes out priced at $700 or less and is within 10% performance of the Pascal Titan X, then I may just be reconsidering my position to wait for Volta before replacing my 980Ti. But, it's all going to depend on the power draw and heat output...I'd like to see no more than 200-220W TDP, which may be do-able since the 1080 is 180W.

The 1080 is already $700 so I think you are looking at closer to $1000 for a theoretical 1080 Ti part.

I highly doubt NVidia will decide to crank up the price point of a Ti model that much.

780 launch price $649
780Ti launch price $699

980 launch price $549
980Ti launch prince $649

1080 launch price $599 (non-FE)
1080Ti launch price $699??? (non-FE)

But they already cranked up the Titan X price by $200 over the previous.

I highly doubt NVidia will decide to crank up the price point of a Ti model that much.

780 launch price $649
780Ti launch price $699

980 launch price $549
980Ti launch prince $649

I'm thinking ~$900 for the TI part. The 1080 is still selling like hot cakes, so as it stands it would be obscene for Nvidia to make the 1080 cheaper and put a Ti into its price bracket. I can see the Ti being at the 1080 price level when AMD finally gets a competitive high end GPU out though.

Wow, that thing is a beast.

If the 1080Ti comes out priced at $700 or less and is within 10% performance of the Pascal Titan X, then I may just be reconsidering my position to wait for Volta before replacing my 980Ti. But, it's all going to depend on the power draw and heat output...I'd like to see no more than 200-220W TDP, which may be do-able since the 1080 is 180W.
The only way you're going to see less TDP is if they cut down the chip even further. Might as well just get a 1080 and overclock it if that's the case.

780 launch price $649
780Ti launch price $699

980 launch price $549
980Ti launch prince $649

It's important to add that the GTX 780 was lowered to $499 when the 780 Ti came out. The GTX 770 saw a similar decrease in price. I can see that happening again if a 1080 Ti is in the cards.

PCPER said:
One area that I think needs some attention - AMD's lack of competition on the high end is starting to get ridiculous. In every game we tested, except Hitman, the Titan X is 70-120% faster than the fastest single GPU AMD graphics card, the AMD Fury X.

Is it too much to expect a performance increase scalable to price increase (there are two Fury X's available right now on Newegg for sub $500). Is it too ridiculous to expect that NVIDIA's high end halo products would offer decent value when compared to their own product stack? Yeah, it sucks that AMD's high end hasn't launched yet, but do they really expect a $1200 dollar brand new GPU on a die shrink to not beat a year old product that launched at roughtly half that price?

What I find funny is Ryan calling out amd for not having any real high end stuff. Not because I think he is making fun of them (he isn't) but because on their site he is always being told he is amd biased, on nvidia payroll, and the like. I have never found it to become true, and he is right. The fury x isn't competition for nvidia high end anymore and it really is starting to be sad that amd hasn't even shown anything close to high end, the rx480 is a great card imo but it's not ment to fight a 1080 or 1070.

I mean hell, If they want just do a dual gpu 480 out to fight the bigger cards. Just to have something.

Is it too much to expect a performance increase scalable to price increase (there are two Fury X's available right now on Newegg for sub $500). Is it too ridiculous to expect that NVIDIA's high end halo products would offer decent value when compared to their own product stack? Yeah, it sucks that AMD's high end hasn't launched yet, but do they really expect a $1200 dollar brand new GPU on a die shrink to not beat a year old product that launched at roughtly half that price?

The Titan cards have always had very poor perf/$ so that's not the point. Point is AMD's best card is shockingly far behind nvidia's best. Yes you nailed it, the problem is precisely that AMD's best is already over a year old.
Heck the GTX 1070 (or the remaining 980 tis) is cheaper and at least as fast as the Fury X at the price you mentioned so that's already better perf/$ (let's not even talk about perf/watt and the amount of VRAM).

Last edited:
The problem with making bigger, higher performing chips is that yield becomes lower. You can't expect there to be a direct correlation between price and performance at all levels because the development and manufacturing process adds complexity to price considerations. I'd be thankful because the margins NVIDIA makes on Titan cards probably allows them to offer a Ti-product in the first place.

780 launch price $649
780Ti launch price $699

980 launch price $549
980Ti launch prince $649

A lot of it will probably depend how good Vega is. They have no competition above $200-250 right now so they can kinda price their cards however they want.

Man, do all the knuckle draggers just sit in their mom's basement and wait to comment on card reviews that come out on blogs? It's like a Who's Who of Stupid Idiots!

I enjoyed the review, Ryan.

RyanShrout said:

The twitter fallout was pretty great over this one, Red Team [Plus] was out in force. Honestly I think its true. The defense "its last years card" isn't really enough, even if its true. Nvidia has begun selling 3 next-gen cards and currently has the enthusiast market eating out of the palm of their hand. AMD released one mid-range card that isn't a 100% clear winner in the category it competes in, has announced a couple of low end cards (yawn) that aren't on sale yet, and theres nothing about their "high end". The halo effect is real, just look at the 960 for how the "GPU revolution" works out when your high end cards aren't competitive... it outsold AMD's stuff in the same category several times over despite being inferior in many ways.

I don't need this card. I don't need this card. I don't need this card.

Fuck guys it's not working.
Baton down the hatches! Brace for impact! Dive...Dive...Dive!

Yeah. I'm doing my best not to think of this card either. It isn't working much sadly.

AMD is not even a thought at this point. Every generation its like they fall further and further back.

Baton down the hatches! Brace for impact! Dive...Dive...Dive!

Yeah. I'm doing my best not to think of this card either. It isn't working much sadly.

Heh. I'm a 4k guy and currently in between games right now, but I am really interested in BF1 and the Titan X will be the only single card that can probably get me the performance I am needing.

I personally think the cost of these cards are way out of hand for the fastest cards. As for AMD they will release their high end when they are ready too. If you got to have the fastest right now I guess your shelling out 1200 plus, who knows perhaps AMD card will be as fast and will get a price war if were lucky.

I personally think the cost of these cards are way out of hand for the fastest cards. As for AMD they will release their high end when they are ready too. If you got to have the fastest right now I guess your shelling out 1200 plus, who knows perhaps AMD card will be as fast and will get a price war if were lucky.

The other day I was thinking of getting a 1060 just to hold me over until I figure out what I want to do with my display situation. At the time all I found on Amazon was like $350 - $400. I laughed and then closed the tab.

As Kyle says, vote with your wallet.

I mean hell, If they want just do a dual gpu 480 out to fight the bigger cards. Just to have something.

A dual gpu wouldn't do squat except waste R&D and marketing that AMD can't afford to spend and won't be able to recoup. No, the only hope now is that AMD threw away 2016 and pulled every cent into 2017, Zen and Vega.

As far as I'm concerned, I see nothing wrong with AMD passing on the ultra high end. The market is so small, I can't find a Titan entry on the Steam Survey and considering that the 980 ti is less than 1% (and so is the 980), i really don't think they care. Most PCs probably stick with the built in Intel GPU. After that, I bet most of the cards are under $300 or even $200. But what do I know. I don't really try to stay on top of GPUs. I buy one every now and then. I know all of mine were under 300.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back