NVIDIA GeForce 295.73 WHQL Drivers Released

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by HardOCP News, Feb 21, 2012.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

NVIDIA sends word that the new NVIDIA GeForce 295.73 WHQL drivers are now available for download. Grab them if you need them, try them if you haven't. Here's a list of the GeForce 295.73 WHQL driver highlights:

2. NKDietrich

NKDietrich [H]ardness Supreme

I like that Mass Effect 3 scaling bit.

3. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

sweet SLI profile for oilrush.. now if only i had a dx11 card :( oh well still looks good in dx10.

4. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

This is why I'm still holding out an upgrade to see what nVidia has to offer. Given the choice, I'd prefer to stay with their cards for their quick driver support for new games.

By the way, still nothing on the rumored fps limiter?

5. XamediX

XamediX 2[H]4U

Hmmm, I hope this fixes the 1.5gb of memory leakage that every beta since 285 introduced for me.

6. NKDietrich

For ME3? I know in the demo you can modify the FPS cap in a config file, but I don't know if there's one by default.

It should. It was an issue with DX video acceleration, and they claimed they were able to reproduce and fix it. If we're talking about the same issue anyway.

7. Xonim

Xonim [H]ard|Gawd

Any ideas this release supports the 560ti 448c cards? I'm currently using a 290.xx beta driver.

8. XamediX

XamediX 2[H]4U

I hope we are. I noticed after updating to a couple newer versions that my video would become really choppy after awhile in MPC:HT. Then I noticed an extra ~1.4gb of memory that I could not account for anywhere in my performance monitors. Logging off didn't help and only when I restarted did it go away. I tried looking into a whole bunch of other reasons, even re-installing windows(heh) until I downgraded to 285, and the problem was gone.

I'll check this out when I get home tonight.

9. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Wait, what? Releasing drivers BEFORE the game comes out? What is this nonsense???

10. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

I wonder if this fixes all the instability problems with multiple video playback... they claim it was fixed in 295.51 but it sure as hell wasn't.

11. demingo

demingo Trump is My President!

And this is pretty much why I dont buy AMD. While their cards are a great value, and the drivers are better. Nvidia is still king when it comes to drivers. When you pay $400+ for a card, you just want it to work right day 1.

12. NKDietrich

Yeah I had the problem in VLC. Eventually my memory would be entirely gone. Haven't seen the problem yet since upgraded to the WHQL version. We shall see.

13. entropy13

entropy13 Gawd

You can enable it through Nvidia Inspector even with the previous beta driver.

All it means right now is that it's still not "official."

14. wand3r3r

wand3r3r Limp Gawd

I don't have a 79xx in my machine (yet) but take a look at gtx 560 ti and BF3. How many months ago was it released and they still haven't fixed all the artifacts and white/clear screens of death?

I'm not blinded by a logo, both are likely guilty of many things, but I don't think nvidia is perfect and I am experiencing their negligence.

15. l3thal6

l3thal6 Limp Gawd

I'm gonna go ahead and give these a try

16. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, nVidia just releases few drivers, so the issue posts/threads are spread thinner than the near week releases of some AMD driver groups, IMO. Though there are, at times, however, serious issues AMD's taken months to fix, like cursor corruption in SC2 (which, BTW, a friend with a HD5850 sees on/off STILL, in SC2), or video accelleration related bugs in the HD5000 series which they simply never fixed (admittedly, that was due to letting AIB partners do whatever they wanted with the VBIOS, and AMD paid the price for it, but nevertheless, it really was AMD's fault).

And to be honest, as an owner of an AMD switchable GPU laptop, I'm not impressed, at all. I'd MUCH rather have a nVidia supported Optimus system. By a long shot, and then some.

Though on the desktop market, the reason I'm staying with nVidia is almost entirely due to eVGA, since my experience with AMD drivers (*knocks on wood*) has been solid, thus far.

17. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

oh, smack, serious errors currected in my post above :eek:

18. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

AMD desperately needs to learn from this. I just finally got Powertune +20 to mostly stick on my second 7970 in crossfire. Even without overclocking there are still occasional issues in Defense Grid of all things!

Never had any problems like this with GTX580. If Driver support keeps diverging like this then I will probably switch back to green when the 680 comes out much later this year.

19. Roadhog

Roadhog Limp Gawd

I doubt you need +20 powertune. I can overclock my cards to 1250/1750 with 0% power tune and they don't throttle at all.

20. martinmsj

martinmsj [H]ard|Gawd

Says nothing about the performance improvements in regards to the 4XX series (470 there.) Anyone with a 4XX series card see improvements? Otherwise I'll stick to my current drivers.

To each their own, but Mass Effect 3 will most likely run the same way Mass Effect 2 did on both vendors hardware. Not in the same league as a fix for a brand new engine. This is hardly a good example and for all you know a simple name addition to a config file was required for ME3. And it's ME, it's going to be the damn UE3 engine from the XBOX with a select few improvements here and there. (And the same damn loading screens from the XBOX version.)

I played the demo for defense grid on steam and bought the game on XBOX 360 due to there being no visual improvement just a resolution bump (doesn't help when the textures are very low res) only for the game feeling like it's on crack. (Because it's almost maxed out on XBOX360, an 470 destroys it.) Plus it's much nicer to just fire up the XBOX and play from my bed.

What issues are you having? Throttling? How exactly are you using them to run the game? I ask because number 1, CFX for that game is complete over kill. One of those 7970s is the equivalent of beating a dead horse 10 times before it even hits the ground. Do you have vsync on? etc..

21. Inu

Inu [H]ard|Gawd

Skyrim changes = same already modded by players is my guess.

22. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Yeah, given that I will be playing that, I definitely like that part.

23. sirmonkey1985

that is if they actually changed anything in these drivers from the last ones.. the problem i've always had with nvidia's driver change logs is they just tack on everything that was changed in pervious drivers as changes in these drivers when in reality nothing changed with the drivers.. was even more annoying a couple years ago when they actually released 6 or 7 WHQL drivers under the same series.. 191.xx 192.xx 193.xx so on and so on.. by the time it got to 197.xx drivers you couldn't even tell what actually was changed since they would just tack everything on from all the drivers before it in the same series. so other then SLI profiles i pretty much ignore the so called performance increases they claim in drivers because they don't even label which drivers from the series originally had the improvement or if it was actually the latest drivers that got it.

24. Boggins

Boggins Limp Gawd

Does this mean that SWTOR's broken SLI use is still broken? I've been having no luck with the beta drivers after 285.

25. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

Huh. I thought that was just an issue with the newer 2.0 version of VLC. Go figure.

26. limitedaccess

limitedaccess [H]ardness Supreme

It actually details what the performance improvement is being compared to -

You can actually enable this as well as forcing FXAA using Nvidia Inspector. So the functionality is there, just no officially supported. I've been using the fps limiter without issues so far since 290.xx.

27. jaredpace

jaredpace Limp Gawd

Ambient Occlusion looks nice in D3

28. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Nice changelog! Going to try this out right away.

I wonder what contributes to the huge Skyrim boost?

29. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

There was a forum post about it where an nVidia dev said that they had identified and fixed the problem in the "next build", which was prior to this being released. So my guess is that it's fixed.

30. g1xx3r

g1xx3r [H]ardness Supreme

No Alan Wake SLI profile :(

31. sirmonkey1985

probably will see it in the next beta drivers released in a week or so.

32. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ [H]ardness Supreme

Ahh, so thats why they locked down the bios on the 6xxx series so that you can't flash a custom fan profile or custom clocks. That sucks.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that too.

33. grambo

grambo [H]ard|Gawd

TDR driver crashes not fixed still? Getting them with 295.51 betas.

34. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

Does Alan Wake really need SLI? It's a port of a 2 year old 360 game.

Not being a dick, just can't imagine it's that stressful of a game :p

35. lobski2

lobski2 Gawd

I hear this fixes the BF3 scope flickering...

36. wasteomind

wasteomind Gawd

I found the one included with EVGA Precision to be much better than the Nvidia Inspector one. It actually works and solved the vsync FMV issue in Force Unleashed 2. The downside to it is its a global limiter, not profile. Still though, easy enough to enable and disable when needed.

37. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

have they fixed the TDR issues yet with this driver?

38. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I actually have noticed a bit of slowdown at times. Nothing major, but still.

39. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

Surprising. I hear it's a good port though, and they did do enhancements to the graphics, so I guess I can see that happening.

40. v0rtic3s

v0rtic3s Limp Gawd

Does anyone know if the new drivers fixed the problems with Windows Movie Maker?

Supposed the next set (this one, I suppose) after the last were supposed to fix problems with the last driver, which rendered WMM basically useless, giving only a black screen.

If anyone knows, please give a shout, thanks.