NVIDIA GeForce 295.73 WHQL Drivers Released

Have never had any problems with Nvidia drivers EVER before.

Installed these drivers on my GTX570SLI setup and there was no option anywhere in the Nvidia control panel to enable SLI. It was a clean install (as usual). Tried re-installing them and still no SLI option.

Un-installed and went back to 285.79 and everything is back to normal.

That is weird, I have the same setup as you and I was able to enable SLI just fine.

I had a wierd experience. When I updated to this driver it corrupted all my blizzard games after several minutes if play. I had to run a repair in WoW and re-install SC2. I'm having odd problems with D3 Beta, but it seems more network oriented than video. I had to roll back to get everything working again. Still 'rockin' the single 470 waiting for Keps...

This update fixed some of the goofy errors I was seeing in Skyrim with the betas. Spent the weekend 'testing' the drivers in game.

I think a lot of issues are software conflicts. I wonder how many issues are resolved by reformatting? Just curious. Lately, I had been using a gaming only hd that I could easily reformat just for that reason.

While it may be a coincidence, I have noticed my GPU and VRAM clock speeds will randomly shoot up to 100% in basic 2D applications. Then they will slow to the "medium" speed settings that is usually used for video playback, and then it will go back to the ultra low speeds that it should be at. Neither GPU nor VRAM usage spikes, at least that I have noticed - just clock speed. Anyone else?

While it may be a coincidence, I have noticed my GPU and VRAM clock speeds will randomly shoot up to 100% in basic 2D applications. Then they will slow to the "medium" speed settings that is usually used for video playback, and then it will go back to the ultra low speeds that it should be at. Neither GPU nor VRAM usage spikes, at least that I have noticed - just clock speed. Anyone else?

That's quite normal with the 3D accelerated Aero interface ...

I have never had this problem until these new drivers. I was using an undervolted bios for lower temps, and it has been totally stable in all games, but I've reverted to the stock bios to see if it was conflicting, and I am still having issues. I have done clean install twice, the second time I thought it was better, and then this morning I had the problem again. The only other thing I have changed around the time I updated drivers, was that I updated avast to version 7. What is happening is this: out of the blue when I will try to launch chrome from the taskbar, the square that shows up around launched programs appears and then goes away, when I try to relaunch it, my desktop pretty much freezes up, I get the spinning circle (the new hourglass) and nothing works, I cannot even do ctrl-alt-del, I basically have to hold in the power button. I have noticed this with windows explorer, but it appears to happen moreso with chrome. I have reverted to the most recent beta drivers that I was using previously, and have not experienced this problem. Anyone having similar issues?

I'm using a GT525m

Last edited:
Could it have something to do with "GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D". I use this in Chrome, and was using it with other drivers, without problems.

So I have slightly better performance (~10%) with these new WHQL drivers and I don't get that memory leak like before. But I do get random display drivers crashes while playing Battlefield 3. The game would freeze and then 30 seconds later I get sent to the desktop with a bubble telling me that the display driver stopped responding but it has restarted. BF3 is still running but I cannot get back to it, so I have to use Task Manager to kill it. I reload the webpage and I can get back into the game if the server is still free. But it is a hassle.

So I have slightly better performance (~10%) with these new WHQL drivers and I don't get that memory leak like before. But I do get random display drivers crashes while playing Battlefield 3. The game would freeze and then 30 seconds later I get sent to the desktop with a bubble telling me that the display driver stopped responding but it has restarted. BF3 is still running but I cannot get back to it, so I have to use Task Manager to kill it. I reload the webpage and I can get back into the game if the server is still free. But it is a hassle.

It's your "SuperClocked" card ... there has been a semi non-official statement that they've noticed BF3 really, really hates OC cards in general.

It's your "SuperClocked" card ... there has been a semi non-official statement that they've noticed BF3 really, really hates OC cards in general.

I can see that cause I also suffered from the game artifact-ing on me when BF3 first released and that was supposedly due to my card being a superclocked version. That go fixed but now these display driver timeouts is the new annoyance. Looks like I'll have to start down-clocking shit again.

Looks like I'll have to start down-clocking shit again.

Have you tried bumping the voltage up one notch at a time first? Complain at the vendor who deviated from nv's recommended clocks/voltage without re-qualifying the card correctly.

Last edited:
I don't think the overclock is a definite issue. I've got one stock and one SuperClocked card and both of them are overclocked even further, and I haven't had any problems with driver crashes in BF3 or other games, and I'm using the latest drivers.

I installed these as well for my GTX 470 and my machine locks up when I bring it out of sleep mode and the monitor does absolutely nothing. The first time it ran a chkdsk on my C drive which showed no errors, but indications of corruption in certain files. Either that is an indication that my GTX 470 or my motherboard is giving up the ghost, or the drivers didn't like my system. Although, it probably is about time for re-install on the OS anyway.

I was having issues with random lock ups. Like harddrive was trying to access all the time. Constant BF3 freezing. Did a fresh install of win7 Needed it anyways, and same thing with these drivers. went back to 285.,, and no issues.

Have never had any problems with Nvidia drivers EVER before.

Installed these drivers on my GTX570SLI setup and there was no option anywhere in the Nvidia control panel to enable SLI. It was a clean install (as usual). Tried re-installing them and still no SLI option.

Un-installed and went back to 285.79 and everything is back to normal.

I had this issue first pop up a few driver revisions back (not sure if it was a 29*.** driver or not), and the solution was to get the latest Realtek LAN driver for my motherboard directly from Realtek (since Gigabyte didn't have an updated driver).

With this driver, the problem returned even with that driver and even with the newest available LAN driver. I had to actually revert back to an older LAN driver to get it fixed, but it works now.

ManuelG on the Nvidia forums says this is actually a Windows issue - something to do with timing in the WMI - and that they're incorporating a fix into the next driver revisions, but I find it odd that it's a general Windows issue and seems to mainly affect those of us using on-board Realtek LAN.

I had this issue first pop up a few driver revisions back (not sure if it was a 29*.** driver or not), and the solution was to get the latest Realtek LAN driver for my motherboard directly from Realtek (since Gigabyte didn't have an updated driver).

With this driver, the problem returned even with that driver and even with the newest available LAN driver. I had to actually revert back to an older LAN driver to get it fixed, but it works now.

ManuelG on the Nvidia forums says this is actually a Windows issue - something to do with timing in the WMI - and that they're incorporating a fix into the next driver revisions, but I find it odd that it's a general Windows issue and seems to mainly affect those of us using on-board Realtek LAN.

Same here. After disabling the Realtek LAN and removing the drivers, SLI was working properly again.

What is the best way to install these new drivers? I have a build with a GTX580. Do I just install the drivers and override the ones already installed? Or do I need to uninstall the drivers, run driver sweeper, then install the new ones?

I just uninstall old drivers, reboot when asked, and when you install the new drivers select custom, and check perform clean install. If you don't use Nvidia 3d vision it might not hurt to disable that.

Back