NVIDIA Announces Project Shield

It wont take off as a stand alone gaming device. You can get gaming on mobile phones nowadays. Why would someone want a device that only plays games.

Sony Failed with that, And even Nintendo isnt doing all that great with the new 3DS.

Tegra 4 though....looks killer, but as a stand along gaming device. I don't think it will work.

Physx anyone?

It isn't strictly a stand alone mobile gaming device however. It also taps into Nvidia's existing business by basically turning any PC (combined with the new GFE initiative) into a home console as well for example.

Now whether or not the other features are enough to separate it from other devices to make it desirable at the price point it will be at isn't something I am speculating.

Personally this isn't exactly what I am looking for. What I want more so is the universal ability to Stream from my desktop to other devices, particularly a tablet or phone.
 
It isn't strictly a stand alone mobile gaming device however. It also taps into Nvidia's existing business by basically turning any PC (combined with the new GFE initiative) into a home console as well for example.

Now whether or not the other features are enough to separate it from other devices to make it desirable at the price point it will be at isn't something I am speculating.

Personally this isn't exactly what I am looking for. What I want more so is the universal ability to Stream from my desktop to other devices, particularly a tablet or phone.

So basically its an ipad that can play games very well. Wouldn't you still need a ISP to connect to stores/app store to get the games to play? Or what about surfing the web? etc.

Today with the age of Smartphones....that can do everything you need, this doesn't fit that.

As I stated before. If Sony and Nintendo are having problems with mobile gaming, what makes Nvidia any better?

Was really hoping for some 780 GTX news....bleh
 
Some more info after the event from Anandtech on shield

"Shield

- As far as Shield goes, I wanted to correct one thing about how the PC display streaming works. The PC will stream to the display directly, not through Shield. Shield will pass controller commands to the PC.

- Shield will launch in Q2 at a price competitive with other mobile gaming systems and tablets.

- All of the games during the Shield demo were 720p, except for one which was 1080p.

- Miracast is supported, but something better will come later."

So most of the games are 720p, one was 1080p (probably trine 2).

And the PC streams to the display directly, and not through shield.....interesting.
 
Was really hoping for some 780 GTX news....bleh

Well aside from all the nitpicking going on with Shield I agree I had the same reaction when it was over. I was wanting anything GTX 700 so there was that let down from this. :(
 
I really don't trust anything that has both "streaming" and "gaming" in one sentence,lol, see (well feel) to believe, im very skeptical about latency..
 
There is some bad information above about how the games were displayed. The Shield handled the video a I stated.

The PC ran the game, rendered the frame, compressed an encoded the video, the streamed to the shield. The shield decoded and drove the local screen and the tv over hdmi. The shield also did the opposite sending joystick and button press info back to the pc.
 
Shocked at all the masturbation over this. I must be missing something.
 
I really don't trust anything that has both "streaming" and "gaming" in one sentence,lol, see (well feel) to believe, im very skeptical about latency..

If they made it like how the Wii U did it.. that would be amazing. Virtually no lag at all.
 
If this works, it'll totally capture steams big picture mode until steam comes out with their own little product.
 
wonder if Nvidia's partners will release custom variants: Superclocked Shield, Phantom Shield, Cu Shield, Pt Shield, Ti Shield, Lightning Shield, etc..
 
If they made it like how the Wii U did it.. that would be amazing. Virtually no lag at all.

Talking to NVIDIA about latencies, they said this:

Since we are doing the entire stack we have transmission latency way down. We use the hardware encoder on our gpu to encode And compress the stream.
 
I would get one, guess that just means I'm an nVidia whore. Oh well, I can live with that. :)
 
This is very interesting. I wonder if they'll still subsample to 4:2:0 though. That's been the bane of video game footage since forever. Anything short of 4:4:4 just makes the fine details look mushy, even when encoded losslessly.
 
Much more powerful (but expensive?) Wii U without motion control? Too bad I have an AMD card, hopefully the 7xx series has better compute capabilities.
 
Hopefully nvidia sells these at a loss and tries to make it up on volume of graphics card sales. This will be an incredible reason to switch to green team.

How about never in a million years?

This looks to me like a major project that went wrong and now they're hoping to salvage it. This is nothing like how nvidia does business. My guess is this thing flunked every partner and now they're hoping to drum up new support
 
How about never in a million years?

This looks to me like a major project that went wrong and now they're hoping to salvage it. This is nothing like how nvidia does business. My guess is this thing flunked every partner and now they're hoping to drum up new support

It just sounds like a supped up gaming controller that can kinda stream games to the TV. Which if you already have a Media pc....it useless.

I think it would have a better chance if it worked with any GPU. I mean Intel is the #1 GPU maker (onboard)....it would be smart to make it work with all GPU's, and not juse a 650 gtx or above.
 
I'm sorry, I typically like almost any gaming innovation , but the way Jen-Hsun was going on about "4K " was total BS.

He was talking as if the Tegra games being output over HDMI were somehow magically 4K just because he was using the new LG 4K screen as the display on the stage.

To me all the android demos looked exactly like what most of them are... crappy phone games.

Streaming PC content to a TV using a android device as the control also doesn't impress me one bit since I can easily just connect my PC direct over HDMI and if I'm a big time PC gamer and liked steam I could easily build a gaming focused HTPC .

I like the idea of miracast on phones or tablets and tegra 4 being really powerful but I don't see a serious gamer wanting this "shield" device over a smartphone or tablet they probably already have.

The 5 inch 720p screen isn't cutting edge wither if you consider that the 1080p 5"-6" screens should also be at this years CES too so it doesn't impress me much either.

But what was really irking me was how he was trying to make it seem like tegra 4 could magically produce a better image than a DSLR simply because it had a better pipeline for processing images than previous android devices.

they pulling out the random gamer girl/paid model and taking a picture on a windows RT tegra tablet just ruined the entire thing and I couldn't take any part of it serious.

The quality on the sensors of smartphone cameras isn't normally limited by the processing needed to make a usable image, they are limited by the fact that they cannot gather enough light on a big enough sensor to provide a decent image without processing.

The nokia 808 proves that while you can use good software to improve the image potential, you would still need a bigger sensor to either gather more light or subsample and then you still would get better results from a better lens package.

It just seemed a lazy excuse for phone makers to use crappy shrunken pinhole sized high megapixel sensors and have the software struggle to drive a 72-core GPU pipeline into fixing the garbage image into something slightly less horrible.

I'd rather them make better sensors with less megapixels and much better lenses first and then have the power to improve the resulting images than to be forced into processing just to achieve reasonable results.

It reminds me too much of all the hype about leveraging the GPU to trans-code videos to any resolution and fix camera shake and everything else were if the footage was just captured properly in the first place it would compress better to start and it wouldn't next a ton of post work.
 
How about never in a million years?

This looks to me like a major project that went wrong and now they're hoping to salvage it. This is nothing like how nvidia does business. My guess is this thing flunked every partner and now they're hoping to drum up new support

Pretty much. This is the result of Nvidia being shut out of the next gen console market.

There are products/apps (much cheaper) that can do exactly what this does already. Check out Splashtop or Kainy, they can stream your PC screen to your phone or tablet and if you are at home you can use a wireless xbox 360 controller, wireless KB/mouse to control your PC and play the games. Kainy also has a controller mode which turns your phone into a controller for your pc games/emulators, etc Also both of these apps can stream your games over the internet using 3g/4g. Kainy also allows you to use your xbox 360 controller attached to your tablet/phone and you can map any keys to the controller.

Kainy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjFM2r17OkU

Controller mapping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRyX_yF9suM

Megaman X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrYIhGBLOk#!

Batman, Saints Row, Sleeping dogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMGiAVyTx3Q


Splashtop:

Diablo3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RPAQpz78Qw

Skyrim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leyx3pFzrHY

You can also stream your Linux apps(ubuntu):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlvRQ_EbE2M
 
What wireless standard/technology are they using? I can foresee quite a few problems depending on what they are using.

my guess is 802.11n the Shield is 2x2 as well in that mode so it can make full use of n
looks like around 300Mbps for the wireless figure over head and what not ~32MB/s isnt bad for 1080p at 32bits
a raw 1920x1080 32bit stream at 60fps would be over 400MB/s so there is some pretty good compression going on
720p brings that down a lot and more if say you only use 24bit
 
Last edited:
Oh and for those that want to use a game controller to control their phone games they can use this:
http://buy.thegameklip.com/

It attaches a PS3 controller to your phone via a clip connected via usb you could even make a ghetto adapter for it and just pay $1.99 to use the sixaxis app to connect wirelessly if your phone is rooted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjBWDhm9xU

qXkPn.jpg
 
Last edited:
Holy shit, look at all the hater elitists here. We don't know everything about this yet and people are already claiming they know everything about it and hate it. GHeesh. No wonder why the PC gaming market is so stagnant. I for one welcome new products like this whenever we can get it.
 
Pretty much. This is the result of Nvidia being shut out of the next gen console market.

There are products/apps (much cheaper) that can do exactly what this does already. Check out Splashtop or Kainy, they can stream your PC screen to your phone or tablet and if you are at home you can use a wireless xbox 360 controller, wireless KB/mouse to control your PC and play the games. Kainy also has a controller mode which turns your phone into a controller for your pc games/emulators, etc Also both of these apps can stream your games over the internet using 3g/4g. Kainy also allows you to use your xbox 360 controller attached to your tablet/phone and you can map any keys to the controller.

I wasn't aware of such solutions existing. Although it might be because I had in the past always looked into/asked around being able to remotely stream to a laptop (or weaker desktop) from a desktop. Do you know if such a solution exists?
 
This whole thing is full of fail. Think about what kind of lag will be introduced to bouncing the image and control inputs over devices.

And who wants to play from a crappy console screen when you can use a proper PC that you have anyway?
 
Looks like something no one has ever wanted. Plus now there is another possible bottleneck between the PC and the controller. And the screen size of course. Also, it is an xbox controller which makes many games not worth playing.
Nvidia made the right decision to NOT build up a lot of hype for this, because I don't see it really going anywhere.
 
I wasn't aware of such solutions existing. Although it might be because I had in the past always looked into/asked around being able to remotely stream to a laptop (or weaker desktop) from a desktop. Do you know if such a solution exists?

A future update of Kainy will add the ability to stream from PC to PC/laptop. It is in fact already working, all he needs to add is sound support.

http://www.kainy.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1051

The developer is pretty amazing, he takes feature requests and adds them rather quickly. The PC to PC feature was asked on December 12 and he had it working by xmas day. More info at kainy.com and kainy.net (forums)
 
they need to partner with Google Fiber to demo the cloud gaming

Yep and they also need to sell it only to people who have Google fiber - because that's pretty much everyone who can actually play on it :D
 
i want to love this as much as everyone else, but i dont think it will be useful in the least. le sigh.
 
Just curious, how many people want to play PC games designed for big monitors and keyboard/mouse on a 5" screen with a gamepad?

:/ Don't see the point of this.
 
Just curious, how many people want to play PC games designed for big monitors and keyboard/mouse on a 5" screen with a gamepad?

:/ Don't see the point of this.

Better yet, who wants to play with a gamepad, period?
 
Well when you've been dumped by the rest of the console gaming market what do you do?

Trouble is, outside of PC gaming circles who has ever heard of Nvidia?

Not exactly one of the top one hundred domestic brands. Not even top 1000. Zero brand awareness outside a very small subset of the potential consumer market.

It's a looongggg looonnnggg road with many a wiiiiinding turn..............
 
Well when you've been dumped by the rest of the console gaming market what do you do?

Trouble is, outside of PC gaming circles who has ever heard of Nvidia?

Not exactly one of the top one hundred domestic brands. Not even top 1000. Zero brand awareness outside a very small subset of the potential consumer market.

It's a looongggg looonnnggg road with many a wiiiiinding turn..............

No one thought MS could make a successful Console. And now look how well the xbox 360 does.

Of course everyone heard of MS when the xbox came out.
 
So there's a new device to connect my PC to a TV? I thought that was a $5 HDMI cable?
 
This. Is. Doomed.

Seriously who is the demographic for this product? From the onset you NEED a gaming desktop with rather good specs, PC enthusiasts have such PC's PC enthusiasts empirically, overwhelmingly, tend to prefer KB/Mouse to gamepad. So it takes an enthusiast level PC to run a device that is marketed to casuals?

BRILLIANT!!!!!
 
The one thing I see here that interests me is upgrading gaming performance would be done at the PC level, not the console level. And i do love sticking shiny new parts in my PC. Besides, what I always hear from the PC elitist is that consoles can never match the power of a PC, this looks like maybe it can (or eventually can).
 
The one thing I see here that interests me is upgrading gaming performance would be done at the PC level, not the console level. And i do love sticking shiny new parts in my PC. Besides, what I always hear from the PC elitist is that consoles can never match the power of a PC, this looks like maybe it can (or eventually can).

You think this device can match the pwoer of a PC?

Did you even read the article or the facts about this thing? lololol
 
No one thought MS could make a successful Console. And now look how well the xbox 360 does.

Of course everyone heard of MS when the xbox came out.

Hmm not quite the same situation there for a couple of reasons but there you go.
 
This could be really awesome. I don't know how I feel about the screen, but being able to easily play PC games on the 73" DLP in my living room would be great. I'd want to see it in action though. I've tried gaming streaming before, and hated how it looked. The compression was awful, it was like I was controlling a youtube video. Hopefully, this being over wifi and therefor not limited to the speed of my internet connection will help.
 
This could be really awesome. I don't know how I feel about the screen, but being able to easily play PC games on the 73" DLP in my living room would be great. I'd want to see it in action though. I've tried gaming streaming before, and hated how it looked. The compression was awful, it was like I was controlling a youtube video. Hopefully, this being over wifi and therefor not limited to the speed of my internet connection will help.

Well to stream it on your Tv, you still need to hook up the device via HDMI to the TV.

So if you want to play on your TV, hookup up your PC to your TV Via HDMI. Just like this device.

There ya go....stream gaming on the TV!

If you want to use a controller, get a wireless 360 controller.

It's alot cheaper buying a HDMI cable and a 360 controller, then this device.
 
Thank god for all the PC graphic advancement so we can play with compressed low resolution image interpolated on a large screen. And increase the lag while we're at it. Can't wait.
 
Back
Top