NVIDIA Announces Project Shield

OK so I watched the nvidia guy on CNET they had an interview with him on Xbox live CNET app.
So this isn't just a device for people with gaming PC's. This is a full blow handheld console running jellybean. Yes it can play remote from your PC but it can also play all you're android games and do all the shut any android device does plus it has remote play function so it isn't the main selling point.

As a gamer I'm always down for something new tegra 4 looks impressive they were showing a boxing game that looked fun. If the price is right I could see buying this as a multipurpose gaming device especially since it uses vanilla jellybean with their overlay for the gaming portion. Price will be key. I will watch closely not gonna knock it anymore that video helped a bit.
 
No no no no.

We've covered this. End to end is 100ms. Normal PC gaming latency can be around 75ms in just the runtime queue, then you add some for the mouse input handling, and display. The time for compression and decompression encode/decode is clearly not very much. That's the whole idea behind doing it with dedicated hardware.

Simple math.

We know PC gaming input latency today is fine in cases when input latency is approaching 100ms. We've been told that end to end with streaming is 100ms. What does that imply about the the added steps for streaming? That they're cheap.

Yes, simple math, but your telling me im wrong. So I went back and listened again (14:00 start of the convo: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/CES-2013-Live-Hands-NVIDIA-Shield-Powered-Tegra-4 ) to what the techy in the background has to say, he DOES say 100ms from click to action and assumingly since they are currently playing the game on the shield being streamed from the PC, that overall latency rates while gaming on the shield, in a single player experience is about 100ms. Now, offscreen techy guy adds, that the shield is doing better than the console experience because TVs themselves can add as much as 60ms of latency. SO, if you decide to pop that HDMI cable in and stream it to your TV and that TV DOES have a horrible response time, your now sitting at 160ms of latency. NOW, in my examples that you keep dinging me for, im also including a 100ms latency time for a multiplayer experience that has you connected with a latency of 100ms from host server to client PC. Add this latency with the added shield latency and tv latency and you get....260ms...1/4 second of potential latency for some gamers. My flatscreen is nearly five years old, im expecting it to have a slower response time, though I truely dont know. I tend to connect to servers that run around sub-40ms so my times would dip down to potentially 190ms...which COULD make the latency transparent to me, though I dont know specfically where my sensitivity to it starts and stops.

I get it, you like the product, while digging through the threads looking for the video link I noticed a lot of posts by you defending the product. It's genuinely great that you are so supportive of the new product but, myself and many others here are only judging the product based on the information they give us and past experiences. Past experiance says that streaming gaming has horrible latency issues. The information we currently have is being given to us by marketing types in a controlled environment, this is hardly indicative of real world performance.


I also stumbled across the post that I apparently missed by....damn can't remember his name....one of the [H]ardOCP editors....anyways, he says that while its a cool product, he has spaces dedicated for his individual activities (gaming, tv watching, etc...) and doesnt desire a product that combines these spaces. I like his explanation and it fits in with my own and I feel like he and I are not alone...especially when it comes to a part of this products demographic by way of its basic requirements: a modern, high end, graphics card. Most people that have a 600 series video card, also have a pretty good gaming machine with a very nice monitor (or 3), I don't foresee these people wanting to downgrade their experience for in-home portability.
 
Here's something interesting. Blizzard seems to be banning people who use Splashtop to play Diablo 3 on their phone/tablet.
For those who don't know, Splashtop allows you to do exactly what the Shield does without having to buy an Nvidia video card nor the extra device.
 
Not to get too off topic but as to the steambox line of discussion here: I think the steambox will be something a little different at a lower price point than a gaming pc with valve branding. It will have to be, wouldn't it? Because couldn't anyone just make a "steam box" right now by building a smallish gaming rig (say, in a q11 or something) and having it boot right into Steam's "Big Picture" mode? So they have to differentiate the price point to make it worth it, I am assuming by making the OS super lightweight (basically, Steam is the OS) so they don't have to use very advanced hardware?
 
Not to get too off topic but as to the steambox line of discussion here: I think the steambox will be something a little different at a lower price point than a gaming pc with valve branding. It will have to be, wouldn't it? Because couldn't anyone just make a "steam box" right now by building a smallish gaming rig (say, in a q11 or something) and having it boot right into Steam's "Big Picture" mode? So they have to differentiate the price point to make it worth it, I am assuming by making the OS super lightweight (basically, Steam is the OS) so they don't have to use very advanced hardware?

That's already being done.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/01/08/xi3-valve-announce-new-steam-powered-pc.aspx

And yes that's Valve's strategy as well. They are focusing on a linux box that they are going to sell themselves but are not going to restrict anyone to linux, if you want to install Windows on it, you can.

Just read the link I posted earlier: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming
 
Did you also cringe when that idiot said "Let's pretend we're connected"?

I felt bad for Jensen and for Jason (the guy who was up there with Jensen at the time). It was something SO simple they found afterwards but that is how things go sometimes.
 
Why would you feel bad for them, I do presentations at work and watch them and the most novice presenters usually do a better job than him. Lets be honest these guys did not do any practicing, jensen just came back from doing something rich people do like drinking thousand dollar bottles of wine on his yacht walked up on stage and went in totally cold turkey, who the hell asks someone else to move their presentation up? He had no direction I am pretty sure he didnt even know what slide was coming up next. And they are surprised they cant get something working lol? Reminds of people you see sometimes doing a powerpoint and they get up and dont know how to move the slides forward or flip into full screen.

Next time practice you damn presentation and actually run through all the steps / slides / technical details before it actually starts in the place you are doing it.
 
I am excited about shield, but my greatest excitement is for future iterations of devices like this. A bigger screen and more flexible hardware configs will be super awesome. A mature mapping program like xpadder well integrated with a 7-9" screen so I can play in bed while my wife is watching her terrible shows really appeals to me. I will still spend time playing at my desk or on my TV, but this option would be great.
 
If they can manage to have independent displays on the PC and the Shield then I'm sold.
 
Back
Top