I have a hackable switch that’s always sat in the dock, and only played 4-5 games on it since purchase,
It’s bately ever been used and the OS hasn’t been updated in a year....

If I’m interested in selling it not updating the OS is seen as a value booster for a prospective buyer who wants to hack it right?

You don't need to hack the OS. The USB firmware is vulnerable no matter the OS. That's one of the reasons for the two new models.

The value may go up, assuming they don't find a new vulnerability, but I doubt it.

You don't need to hack the OS. The USB firmware is vulnerable no matter the OS. That's one of the reasons for the two new models.

The value may go up, assuming they don't find a new vulnerability, but I doubt it.
Yeah mine in week 1 of launch, but I’m not interested in hacking it myself, but resale value,
I only play Nintendo for Mario and Zelda,
After I’m done with the newest Zelda I’ll be looking to move it. But is Value $250ish?

Yeah mine in week 1 of launch, but I’m not interested in hacking it myself, but resale value,
I only play Nintendo for Mario and Zelda,
After I’m done with the newest Zelda I’ll be looking to move it. But is Value $250ish?

I would just check eBay or FS/FT here; it's not going to fetch any more than any other Switch manufactured within the first 2 years of its launch as they're all vulnerable to the same hardware exploit. $250 sounds good for the console and a few accessories and/or games thrown in though. I got mine brand new for $230 back in May on sale, but that's pretty rare for them to go on sale for the console only (usually just get bundle deals), so they hold value pretty well regardless.

someone school me on the controllers for this thing before i pick it up at targer today! i see that it comes with a 1 "controller" that has a left and right to it. is that only needed when playing on the pad? if my kids want to play on the tv do each of them get one or how does that work?

someone school me on the controllers for this thing before i pick it up at targer today! i see that it comes with a 1 "controller" that has a left and right to it. is that only needed when playing on the pad? if my kids want to play on the tv do each of them get one or how does that work?

The "controller" can be split into two tiny controllers for two people to play on the TV or the switch itself, anywhere.

so if i wanted to have 4 people play i just need another L/R combo correct?

Correct!

I know that the pro controllers work too, but I've not used them yet. They're the more traditional looking controllers and are a bit cheaper.

Correct!

I know that the pro controllers work too, but I've not used them yet. They're the more traditional looking controllers and are a bit cheaper.

true, but i'd have to buy 2 of those vs just 1 combo of the left/right!

Not all games support the split JoyCons for local multiplayer. You have to look on the box to see if they do (most of the party type games will though).

Control Ultimate Edition can now be streamed to Nintendo Switch. And reports seem quite positive.

Resident Evil 3 is on the way, according to data mined from the site.

Biggest announcment today for me was the No More Heroes 1+2 ports. Probably gonna download those and see how that game aged.
I can say that the port is a pretty solid HD release of the Wii version at 60fps so that was enough for me to bite.

Has there been any news of a more powerful Switch console, like a Switch "Pro" or something like that?
supposedly they are going to release a console next year but IMHO why do we need a more powerful one...

I mean really 4k on a 7 inch screen is not great i would like a better battery life or more on console memory...

If they do 4k or higher the mobility of the switch needs to be dropped. Make it a tv bound box that you can link the switch lite to as a controller it can upscale and run switch games at 4k and since it would be running on a soc not bound by battery or portable cooling it could have the performance to run switch games at 4k 60+fps...

Last edited:
supposedly they are going to release a console next year but IMHO why do we need a more powerful one...

I mean really 4k on a 7 inch screen is not great i would like a better battery life or more on console memory...

If they do 4k or higher the mobility of the switch needs to be dropped. Make it a tv bound box that you can link the switch lite to as a controller it can upscale and run switch games at 4k and since it would be running on a soc not bound by battery or portable cooling it could have the performance to run switch games at 4k 60+fps...
I mean, resolution is only part of it.. the real gains come from better game performance and graphical quality. A lot of games on Switch run like shit.

4K would be overboard, but 1080p would be more reasonable (I think undocked it runs at 720p).

Or even stay at 720p but get the full 60fps, I know some of the more AAA titles like Doom were struggling.

I actually fully expect the Switch Pro (or whatever they name it) to run at 4k while docked.

Not true 4k by any stretch, but I expect that if they're actually making a new chip for Switch (and, likely, also for Shield.) It's gonna have the same DLSS/Upscaling tech that they're currently trying out on the Shield Pro to upscale everything to 4k. My understanding based on what i've heard from AV forums is that it does amazing work on realtime 1080p video already.
I think it'll also have built in VRR and HDMI 2.1 to use all these fancy things because that will be built into the hardware thanks to Shield requirements.

I then also think the portable screen might move up to 1080p and have thinner bezels than the current switch - but I'm less certain of that.

Last edited:
I just get the feeling it will be less impressive than we all want

The online expansion thing is super lame IMO. Big blunder I think.

Also, it's weird they haven't cashed in by porting over the DS/3DS versions of those N64 games to Switch which have improvements.

As for the lag in multiplayer.. Not sure of a decent way around that. You're emulating a game never meant to work over a network. If you don't have solid connections and low latency of course it's going to run like shit.

IMO its a gigantic failure. They should have had complete support for the base features of N64 games. No support for saving to a simulated memory card?????? That's insane. Relying on save states also means people could accidentally leave themselves with a save state which makes it impossible/nearly impossible for them to progress.

And they didn't even launch it with THAT many games. Feels like they only started working on this recently.

Nintendo released their online expansion pack that includes N64 games, and it is less than optimal. Big issues are no support for saving in games that need the controller pak and the button mapping on Joy Cons. Some games are also experiencing audio lag and graphical issues.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/switch-onlines-n64-emulation-has-been-met-with-criticism/

Lackluster emulation on top of a $30 USD price hike? No thanks!

My kid's really been enjoying the NES/SNES games on his Switch (I was surprised he liked the retro titles so much), so I'm hoping they improve the service and make it worthwhile.

And they didn't even launch it with THAT many games. Feels like they only started working on this recently.

Likely so they can pad their Switch schedule with more "new" game announcements.

I highly recommend just buying the old consoles and the games you liked. In the long run they last forever and only increase in value. That $30 a month to Nintendo is just gone forever. My kids love looking through the cartridges and swapping out the games. You can get cheap analog to hdmi converters they introduce almost no lag as well.

For me? It's been an interesting turn of events since the announcement and what has transpired in terms of news coming out about the Expansion Pack itself since. When the announcement first hit my initial belief as to why the price hike was so large was because Animal Crossing: New Horizons' new paid DLC expansion was included (which is a $25 value by itself). So the quick math stated with a $30 markup on the individual plan investment and the $45 markup on the family plan investment a bit of it had to do with the DLC included. Then? More news started coming out talking about licensing fees for both the N64 and Sega Genesis games and that "it was a very pretty penny" Nintendo paid to get the licensing from Sega, Capcom, Konami and Rare/Microsoft which set my mind in another direction as to the reason for the markup. Don't get me wrong though here. As a general rule of retail, "Nothing in retail is ever truly free." Neither is the Animal Crossing DLC thrown into this pack (even though Nintendo's marketing of this says it is indeed free with the package). It is thrown into the price by some degree.

With everything I know about it now, what do I think? For now, the price hike makes the package a bit of a ripoff. For now. But? It does have room to grow. If later on Nintendo throws in more consoles to the Expansion Pack or more big paid DLC to get access to as long as you're on the plan (notice I said "get access to" and not "keep for life") without driving the price up any higher it could be worth it in about a year or two. Also this Expansion Pack does throw a new wrench into the Big N's plans that could really hurt them. As we all know, the service is missing 3 key things that would make it so much better:

1. Improved server farm and network connectivity for MP games
2. Voice chat without the phone app
3. Online lobbies with actual messaging

Where Nintendo could dig a gigantic hole for themselves over this is if they decide to add these features in the future but...only add them for Expansion Pack members leaving people who didn't pay for the Expansion Pass out in the cold and not getting these features. That would be a disaster for Nintendo if they chose that route and you never know...they just might. That's my thoughts on this and until next time I am out!

I highly recommend just buying the old consoles and the games you liked. In the long run they last forever and only increase in value. That $30 a month to Nintendo is just gone forever. My kids love looking through the cartridges and swapping out the games. You can get cheap analog to hdmi converters they introduce almost no lag as well.
Or just find a ROM set. Emulation is almost clock perfect for N64 now.

That $30 a month to Nintendo is just gone forever
Luckily it's just $30 a year, not a month. But it's still an absolutely gigantic price hike over the previous subscription, where I pay $35 a year for 5 people.

Or just find a ROM set. Emulation is almost clock perfect for N64 now.
Honestly. For most earlyish polygon systems, emulation is considerably better than the actual machine. Why play games at sub 480p and 20fps when emulation allows you to play them so much crisper and smoother at 4k60 with AA and AF, just to start.

Luckily it's just $30 a year, not a month. But it's still an absolutely gigantic price hike over the previous subscription, where I pay $35 a year for 5 people.
It's $30 a year on top of the $20 for an individual membership. The family rate is $80 a year now with the expansion added, up from $4.38 a person to $10 a person (since it's for up to 8 people).

Pricing isnt bad once you consider the nostalgia value and the cost of individual games if they ported them as proper switch games. I personally will continue using emulators on my switch for these games that I of course legally own carts of. Will most likely pick up the official controllers are the Power A knockoffs when they're available just for ease of use.

Just play on PC. It's way better. Nintendo is so lazy when some modders in their parent's basement can do a better job for free.

Pricing isnt bad once you consider the nostalgia value and the cost of individual games if they ported them as proper switch games. I personally will continue using emulators on my switch for these games that I of course legally own carts of. Will most likely pick up the official controllers are the Power A knockoffs when they're available just for ease of use.
The Switch versions are just ROMs running on an emulator that is probably proprietary. I guarantee it would be a lot more expensive if they were properly ported to the Switch. Nintendo will most likely improve their emulator as time goes on.

The N64 Switch controller is still selling out as soon as it goes into stock, as you can only currently get it from Nintendo's website.

The Switch versions are just ROMs running on an emulator that is probably proprietary. I guarantee it would be a lot more expensive if they were properly ported to the Switch. Nintendo will most likely improve their emulator as time goes on.

The N64 Switch controller is still selling out as soon as it goes into stock, as you can only currently get it from Nintendo's website.

At least with third-party emulators there is customizations you can do. I'll stick with them for now. Can't use the online stuff anyway.

Thank you for the heads up on the controller being on the website I will have to keep an eye on that. I have a USB and 64 controller that I've honestly never thought to try on the switch need to find it and see what happens with that. I just want it by the official word for the Bluetooth connection to the computer when I play on it.

At least with third-party emulators there is customizations you can do. I'll stick with them for now. Can't use the online stuff anyway.

Thank you for the heads up on the controller being on the website I will have to keep an eye on that. I have a USB and 64 controller that I've honestly never thought to try on the switch need to find it and see what happens with that. I just want it by the official word for the Bluetooth connection to the computer when I play on it.
I thought about trying my USB N64 controller out, as well, but I don't feel like dishing out the money for the Expansion Pack since it's not worth it to me.

Here is the link:
https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-64-controller.html

I see that they have the Genesis one as well. They could have at least done the 6-button instead of the original controller.
That is the way it is on the Genesis Mini. All the games on initial release were those on the Genesis Mini.

I think in Japan they have the 6 button controller. Not sure why they cheaped out in the US.

Back