I think in Japan they have the 6 button controller. Not sure why they cheaped out in the US.
I'm sure you can get them from playasia

I have bought a few things from there, over the years. Including 2 Dualshock 3 controllers----when they weren't available in the US for like 6+ months.

Anyone have a good carry case that works with the OLED version? Some googling turned up a mess of results. Most of them are just pseudo compatible because there were tolerances built in for the older model and conveniently the OLED version just happens to fit even though it is slightly larger.

Anyone have a good carry case that works with the OLED version? Some googling turned up a mess of results. Most of them are just pseudo compatible because there were tolerances built in for the older model and conveniently the OLED version just happens to fit even though it is slightly larger.
These look fine?
https://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Carry-...85279100-UUimUdUnU79130YYh-20&geniuslink=true

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Carry...000-UUimUdUnU79130YYh-20&geniuslink=true&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any kid friendly/safe joycons out there? 4yr managed to break my custom ones and while he rarely uses the switch in handheld mode. I'd rather him have a less expensive set

Thank you I'll take a look at those after work. Not currently using a case as it sits on the dock 95% of the year and not wanting to cover up custom joy-cons and back shell should honestly look into a clear case once I replace my joycons with their custom shells
PXL_20211227_212246896.jpg

PXL_20211227_212259093.jpg

PXL_20220208_021057348.jpg

The actual button on it is broken I may end up just trying to find a new ribbon cable for it and a more kid friendly set of joycons for him to use.

Last edited:
Thank you I'll take a look at those after work. Not currently using a case as it sits on the dock 95% of the year and not wanting to cover up custom joy-cons and back shell should honestly look into a clear case once I replace my joycons with their custom shells
View attachment 442634
View attachment 442630
View attachment 442631
The actual button on it is broken I may end up just trying to find a new ribbon cable for it and a more kid friendly set of joycons for him to use.
good luck the ribbon cable and button don't replace well i broke 2 of them the replacement cables do not feel the same. Also the replacement shells like you have seem to break and crack easier than normal abs ones.

I am really liking https://www.amazon.com/Controller-W...4375b&pd_rd_wg=KCFt2&pd_rd_i=B09LVJ1H16&psc=1

they make a thin more joycon like one the ones i own are like the hori split pro...
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-W...tronics&sprefix=binbok,electronics,106&sr=1-8

Mario Kart 8 to get 48 remastered courses from previous games.

Coming in 6 waves, 8 courses per wave. All 48 by end of 2023. Wave 1 is March 18th.

You can buy a pass for all 48 for $24 or its included with Nintendo Switch Online + expansion pack membership.

Mario Kart 8 to get 48 remastered courses from previous games.

Coming in 6 waves, 8 courses per wave. All 48 by end of 2023. Wave 1 is March 18th.

You can buy a pass for all 48 for $24 or its included with Nintendo Switch Online + expansion pack membership.

So we had to buy MK8 for the WiiU, buy it again for the Switch and now buy the remastered courses. Guess it's time to pony up for the expansion pack membership. At least we get new content for free with MKT.

good luck the ribbon cable and button don't replace well i broke 2 of them the replacement cables do not feel the same. Also the replacement shells like you have seem to break and crack easier than normal abs ones.

I am really liking https://www.amazon.com/Controller-W...4375b&pd_rd_wg=KCFt2&pd_rd_i=B09LVJ1H16&psc=1

they make a thin more joycon like one the ones i own are like the hori split pro...
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wireless-Replacement-Vibration-Transparent/dp/B09LR22MP4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1VQV8HHOI719K&keywords=binbok&qid=1644446108&s=electronics&sprefix=binbok,electronics,106&sr=1-8
Thank you. I was looking at those earlier. Kind of like the ergonomic style.

I broke the ZR button when I did the shell swap and the replacement one requires a firmer push the the stock one. I absolutely hate it, but that's why I have a pro controller. I may just do the replacement cable and shell just to keep it all matchy-matchy at a lower cost and grab a set of these ones for general use.

I'm just grateful it was a joy-con and not a hackable switch

Lots of good stuff in the Direct today.

I'm finally home so I'm gonna do the direct in somewhat real time because I'm sure there's a ton that I want to discuss.

Fire Emblem eh? Oh. It's warriors. Whatever.

Speaking of Tactics, yeah, we knew about Advance Wars 1+2, still pretty happy it exists. OOh, fast forward, that's nice.

I was wondering when No Man's Sky would make it's way to switch. I figured it was gonna be possible at some point, I'm curious how it's gonna perform though. Cause this trailer is running better than it does on my PC. Still, an absolutely perfect game for handheld.

Strikers characters have way too much armor on, but ya know, whatever. Kinda glad they kept the art style of the old strikers. Not that I've actually played any of them, or do I expect that i'll play this one.
ooooohhh. The armor is gear that changes stats, that's actually kinda cool. That's the kind of depth I want in my fake sports.
8 player local matches is kinda awesome.
Is this a MOBA, I think this is a MOBA.

Splatoon 3 looks good, but more of the same.

Front Mission 1 remake. Neat. Also a Front Mission 2 remake, double neat.

Disney Kart - whatever.
Oh god, free to play. nooooope.

Force Unleashed switch - meh.
Assassin's Creed 2, 2+ and 2++ - meh.
SD Gundam Battle Alliance - Well, maybe?

Chrono Cross remaster looks pretty damn bad, honestly. It looks like a really bad AI upscaling. I'm still gonna buy the damn thing. Mostly for that damn soun-
INCLUDES RADICAL DREAMERS? - SOLD

Kirby The Post Apocalyptic RPG actually looks really fucking fun.
fucking hell that looks fun.

Sports games do sports games.

Kingdom Hearts Cloud Whatever. Just recently picked up the ridiculous "every kingdom hearts ever" collection for PS4 anyway.

Hey its Klonoa. I've never actually played a Klonoa. Absolutely love the soundtracks though.

Portal for switch? What the hell. I did NOT expect that. I'm not gonna buy it, but, that's kinda cool.
Weird that its coming out almost simultaneously as the Steam Deck release.

OK, Live a Live remake looks REALLY fucking amazing. God damn.
Please HD-2D all the remakes. Pretty please. (I know they're doing it for FF6, can't wait to play that.)

oh hey, Wii Sports - second best selling game of all time - is getting a sequel. I don't really care much though.

Woo, more Taiko No Tatsujin! I'll buy it when its < $20
I think I'm gonna spend the cash and get an actual taiko drum sometime.

Damn Triangle Strategy looks good.

Cuphead DLC terrifies me.

Dread Update, what? oh, is it just a hard mode and easy mode? Meh.
OK, i'm into the Boss Rush, but that's still a bit less than interesting.

EARTHBOUND ON SWITCH, FUCKING FINALLY.
If this doesn't lead into Mother (earthbound 0) or Mother 3 i'll be pissed.
OK, Mother is confirmed! goddammit, no mother 3. =(

Montage time, just gonna mention anything if it interests me.
Gatsfudononmon or whatever, looks pretty cool.

Is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now the Smash Bros Ultimate of mario kart?
Jesus christ that's a lot of courses.
Ah, its a way to get people into the expansion pass.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is honestly something I really can't wait to play, cause I loved Xenoblade Chronicles and really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Is... Is this combining 1 and 2? What. I have no idea how that would work. I... I want to know how that will work. Gonna buy that no matter what.
They fucked over Xenoblade X again, apparently.

you know it's pretty barren for games on switch when they're touting decade-and-a-half old games getting ported... lol

you know it's pretty barren for games on switch when they're touting decade-and-a-half old games getting ported... lol
Well Dread and Legends were both good enough to spur a whole round of sales alone but yeah it’s only a handful of titles each year that drive them.

Direct Impressions:

I am so fucking excited for the Front Mission remakes. Front Mission 3 and FFT were my gateways into SRPGs and FM3 is still one of my favorite mech games of all time. It’s nice to see SE finally acknowledge that FM is a god damn strategy series and not whatever the fuck Front Mission Evolved and Left Alive were. After Left Alive was shit out I expected SE to just kill off the franchise entirely, I’m very glad to see them go back to the games that were never released outside of Japan. I hope both of these do well enough that it leads to SE doing the same to 3.

Live A Live looks amazing. I’ve heard very good things about the game and I’m looking forward to checking it out. Also, yes, more HD-2D remakes of games please. That art style is so damn good.

Strikers was a nice surprise. Same with Switch Sports.

I’ve seen everything of Kirby I want to see between now and release. It looks great and I don’t want any more of it spoiled for me.

I agree with what Slysyl said about Chrono Cross. The “remaster” looks like garbage but it could have been a straight port of the PS1 game with no changes and I’d still buy it for Radical Dreamers. Well, that and the fact that it’s going to be the only affordable way to, legally, play the game because Jesus fuck prices are nuts for the original.

New Fire Emblem Warriors? Cool. Nintendo is going heavy on these Musou games and I’m all for it. And it being a new story based around Three Houses gets my attention. Would have rather had a new FE game instead, but I’ll take it.

The Portal Collection is apparently only $20. That seems pretty reasonable. If it runs well I might even double dip, be a good excuse to replay both games.

Klonoa! Heck yeah.

Bunch of tracks for MK8D for $25? Eh, seems like a decent price. Weird that it took them this long to do anything with the game though.

Looking forward to Advance Wars. Between that, Front Mission 1st, and Triange Strategy my strategy needs will be extremely well filled.

Spatoon 3 looked like Splatoon. That’s cool. Good game series. Probably not going to pick it up, too many other games demand my limited time.

XENOBLADE 3!!!! I really need to finish 2 one of these days. And I still want a Switch release of X damnit!

At first I was a little disappointed in the Mario Kart announcement, but I'm actually happy with it. There's nothing mechanically wrong with MK8. Without a hardware jump, there's no real reason to make it a totally new game. Especially when you can patch in almost 50 fucking new tracks. That's pretty nuts.

Reading between the lines, this tells me the Switch 2 probably isn't coming super soon and/or is totally backwardly compatible. There's no way they'd totally blow their load with Smash and MK like this if they didn't plan for those games to keep being played for a long, long time.

At first I was a little disappointed in the Mario Kart announcement, but I'm actually happy with it. There's nothing mechanically wrong with MK8. Without a hardware jump, there's no real reason to make it a totally new game. Especially when you can patch in almost 50 fucking new tracks. That's pretty nuts.

Reading between the lines, this tells me the Switch 2 probably isn't coming super soon and/or is totally backwardly compatible. There's no way they'd totally blow their load with Smash and MK like this if they didn't plan for those games to keep being played for a long, long time.
Chip shortage proabably put a damper on their plans. Nintendo is fussy about getting the bet value for the crappy hardware they always use. Nvidia proabably wants too much for their newer chip or doesn't even want to continue with Nintendo.

If people aren't dumb, and boycott all these cloud streaming titles, it will be 2023. Otherwise, nintendo will milk that free money for as long as they can.

I'm very excited about Nintendo's choice to simply add to MK8.

Sometimes a game is good enough mechanically and visually------players would probably appreciate new content for that game. Rather a whole new game, which could actually change stuff which isn't wanted.

Adding 48 tracks is unprecedented. and at $0.50 per track.....that seems quite fair to me. I just don't like to have to pre-pay for it all. You should be able to buy each wave for $4.

I like that they are adding value to NIntendo Online + Expansion pass. And this was a really good thing to add to that.

----------------------

No Man's Sky on Switch is kind of incredible. I know its pretty poor image quality but.....still, very interesting port.

Adding 48 tracks is unprecedented. and at $0.50 per track.....that seems quite fair to me. I just don't like to have to pre-pay for it all. You should be able to buy each wave for $4.

The tracks appear to be ported over from Mario Kart Tour, which has been getting new tracks bi-monthly for the most part.

Thank you. I was looking at those earlier. Kind of like the ergonomic style.

I broke the ZR button when I did the shell swap and the replacement one requires a firmer push the the stock one. I absolutely hate it, but that's why I have a pro controller. I may just do the replacement cable and shell just to keep it all matchy-matchy at a lower cost and grab a set of these ones for general use.

I'm just grateful it was a joy-con and not a hackable switch
yeah i didnt like the feel of the replacements either and ended up buying another set of genuine joycon's and reshelling them this time not breaking the zr and zl buttons. the shells after a year are cracked around the - button and above the analog stick which has been replaced 4 times now. I have a matching back on my hackable switch. i have the clear blue ones and the clear ones.

yeah i didnt like the feel of the replacements either and ended up buying another set of genuine joycon's and reshelling them this time not breaking the zr and zl buttons. the shells after a year are cracked around the - button and above the analog stick which has been replaced 4 times now. I have a matching back on my hackable switch. i have the clear blue ones and the clear ones.
Mine have cracks at the screws too. Still happy with it. Ended up ordering the cable as I never play it handheld mode. I'll order a replacement shell at some point as well.

Mine have cracks at the screws too. Still happy with it. Ended up ordering the cable as I never play it handheld mode. I'll order a replacement shell at some point as well.
The pro controller or those binbok ones would work wireless I play handheld most of the time so I could get by with the hori.

My original launch switch got cracks, but I've replaced the shell, replaced the fan/thermal paste and replaced the battery and it's actually better than new. Wasn't too hard of a job.

My original launch switch got cracks, but I've replaced the shell, replaced the fan/thermal paste and replaced the battery and it's actually better than new. Wasn't too hard of a job.
Been debating on redoing the thermal paste on the switch. Joycons are dead simple to take apart and fix for me any more. I did the work on mine, and replaced the thumb sticks on way to many when I worked at rent a center(for the store I worked at and the other store in town).

The first set of new Mario Kart 8 tracks are available now. I played through 'em and think they're mostly good to really good tracks. Of the 8, I'd say 5-6 are straightforward traditional racing tracks. At least a couple (especially the final one) are chaotic and full of shenanigans, though. If you're a MK fan, you'll like 'em.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to Spring 2023

The delay was announced by Zelda producer, Eiji Aonuma...

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 delayed to Spring 2023

The delay was announced by Zelda producer, Eiji Aonuma...

What's the best way to store a switch for 2 years? Have some charge in the battery, or completely drain it?

By the time BOTW2 finally comes out, it's going to look 2 generations older than most mainstream titles. Especially Elden Ring, Horizon, and such.
But it's "fun", right? Graphics and fun can't coexist, I grew up in the 90's, I buy my kids Mario stuff even though they just want to play Fortnite, I love the Power Glove it's so bad, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
By the time BOTW2 finally comes out, it's going to look 2 generations older than most mainstream titles. Especially Elden Ring, Horizon, and such.
But it's "fun", right? Graphics and fun can't coexist, I grew up in the 90's, I buy my kids Mario stuff even though they just want to play Fortnite, I love the Power Glove it's so bad, etc. etc. etc.
Eh, we will see. I'm not so much worried about the graphics, the absolutely massive open world though was great, and brought me back to the first time playing the original, which had such a huge map for the time and you never knew what the next screen had.

However, they've done that. Give me another 200 square mile world with literally NOTHING in it like the last game, i'll be very disappointed. Unfortunately populating that world takes 2 things, large efficient dev team, and fast hardware. 2 things Nintendo absolutely sucks at.

Back