defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I have a hackable switch that’s always sat in the dock, and only played 4-5 games on it since purchase,
It’s bately ever been used and the OS hasn’t been updated in a year....

If I’m interested in selling it not updating the OS is seen as a value booster for a prospective buyer who wants to hack it right?

You don't need to hack the OS. The USB firmware is vulnerable no matter the OS. That's one of the reasons for the two new models.

The value may go up, assuming they don't find a new vulnerability, but I doubt it.

Hokies83

Limp Gawd
You don't need to hack the OS. The USB firmware is vulnerable no matter the OS. That's one of the reasons for the two new models.

The value may go up, assuming they don't find a new vulnerability, but I doubt it.
Yeah mine in week 1 of launch, but I’m not interested in hacking it myself, but resale value,
I only play Nintendo for Mario and Zelda,
After I’m done with the newest Zelda I’ll be looking to move it. But is Value $250ish?

T4rd

Fully [H]
Yeah mine in week 1 of launch, but I’m not interested in hacking it myself, but resale value,
I only play Nintendo for Mario and Zelda,
After I’m done with the newest Zelda I’ll be looking to move it. But is Value $250ish?

I would just check eBay or FS/FT here; it's not going to fetch any more than any other Switch manufactured within the first 2 years of its launch as they're all vulnerable to the same hardware exploit. $250 sounds good for the console and a few accessories and/or games thrown in though. I got mine brand new for $230 back in May on sale, but that's pretty rare for them to go on sale for the console only (usually just get bundle deals), so they hold value pretty well regardless.

blackbeasst

2[H]4U
someone school me on the controllers for this thing before i pick it up at targer today! i see that it comes with a 1 "controller" that has a left and right to it. is that only needed when playing on the pad? if my kids want to play on the tv do each of them get one or how does that work?

scojer

Supreme [H]ardness
someone school me on the controllers for this thing before i pick it up at targer today! i see that it comes with a 1 "controller" that has a left and right to it. is that only needed when playing on the pad? if my kids want to play on the tv do each of them get one or how does that work?

The "controller" can be split into two tiny controllers for two people to play on the TV or the switch itself, anywhere.

scojer

Supreme [H]ardness
so if i wanted to have 4 people play i just need another L/R combo correct?

Correct!

I know that the pro controllers work too, but I've not used them yet. They're the more traditional looking controllers and are a bit cheaper.

blackbeasst

2[H]4U
Correct!

I know that the pro controllers work too, but I've not used them yet. They're the more traditional looking controllers and are a bit cheaper.

true, but i'd have to buy 2 of those vs just 1 combo of the left/right!

cybereality

Supreme [H]ardness
Not all games support the split JoyCons for local multiplayer. You have to look on the box to see if they do (most of the party type games will though).

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Control Ultimate Edition can now be streamed to Nintendo Switch. And reports seem quite positive.

Resident Evil 3 is on the way, according to data mined from the site.

Nolan7689

[H]ard|Gawd
Biggest announcment today for me was the No More Heroes 1+2 ports. Probably gonna download those and see how that game aged.
I can say that the port is a pretty solid HD release of the Wii version at 60fps so that was enough for me to bite.

Lunas

[H]F Junkie
Has there been any news of a more powerful Switch console, like a Switch "Pro" or something like that?
supposedly they are going to release a console next year but IMHO why do we need a more powerful one...

I mean really 4k on a 7 inch screen is not great i would like a better battery life or more on console memory...

If they do 4k or higher the mobility of the switch needs to be dropped. Make it a tv bound box that you can link the switch lite to as a controller it can upscale and run switch games at 4k and since it would be running on a soc not bound by battery or portable cooling it could have the performance to run switch games at 4k 60+fps...

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
supposedly they are going to release a console next year but IMHO why do we need a more powerful one...

I mean really 4k on a 7 inch screen is not great i would like a better battery life or more on console memory...

If they do 4k or higher the mobility of the switch needs to be dropped. Make it a tv bound box that you can link the switch lite to as a controller it can upscale and run switch games at 4k and since it would be running on a soc not bound by battery or portable cooling it could have the performance to run switch games at 4k 60+fps...
I mean, resolution is only part of it.. the real gains come from better game performance and graphical quality. A lot of games on Switch run like shit.

cybereality

Supreme [H]ardness
4K would be overboard, but 1080p would be more reasonable (I think undocked it runs at 720p).

Or even stay at 720p but get the full 60fps, I know some of the more AAA titles like Doom were struggling.

TheSlySyl

Gawd
I actually fully expect the Switch Pro (or whatever they name it) to run at 4k while docked.

Not true 4k by any stretch, but I expect that if they're actually making a new chip for Switch (and, likely, also for Shield.) It's gonna have the same DLSS/Upscaling tech that they're currently trying out on the Shield Pro to upscale everything to 4k. My understanding based on what i've heard from AV forums is that it does amazing work on realtime 1080p video already.
I think it'll also have built in VRR and HDMI 2.1 to use all these fancy things because that will be built into the hardware thanks to Shield requirements.

I then also think the portable screen might move up to 1080p and have thinner bezels than the current switch - but I'm less certain of that.

Last edited: