Just bought a switch. Got myself Smash and a pro controller. Have not even fired it up yet. What are some fun singleplayer games you can't get on PC?

Well honestly, don’t discount games that are just ports. The portability aspect of the switch can be kind of nice for some of those games. Like Civilization, or longer RPGs like final fantasy games. That’s me though.

Single player switch non pc games, well

Zelda BotW of course
Super Mario Odyssey
Okami HD (I think? Maybe it has a PC release I don’t know)
Splatoon 2 (has multiplayer as well)
Mario Kart 8
Kirby Star Allies
Golf Story
Astral Chain
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (original is getting a remaster)

I don’t know, there’s definitely more, scroll through the store and see what catches your eye.

feels like I'm 9 years old all over again lol :D
xi1ccxA.jpg

(the controller battery is dead so it has to stay wired all the time ... )

Last edited:
Sadly I'm effected by joycon drift. Sent my joycon off yesterday and am stuck without my Switch until it returns

Sadly I'm effected by joycon drift. Sent my joycon off yesterday and am stuck without my Switch until it returns
Me too, I didn’t realize it was a mass issue and had bought new joycons prior to Nintendo finally acknowledging the issue. Like...2 weeks prior after dealing with the drift for months. (Played all the way through Steamworld Heist with drift).

They’re not cheap but it is actually nice to have a second set though at least :|

Me too, I didn’t realize it was a mass issue and had bought new joycons prior to Nintendo finally acknowledging the issue. Like...2 weeks prior after dealing with the drift for months. (Played all the way through Steamworld Heist with drift).

They’re not cheap but it is actually nice to have a second set though at least :|

At least they are acknowledging the problem and fixing them for free I may look into getting a second hand or knock off pro controller to at least use it at the house for the time being

At least they are acknowledging the problem and fixing them for free I may look into getting a second hand or knock off pro controller to at least use it at the house for the time being

That sucks man, you just got that thing like barely 2 months ago too, right? I've had mine since May and fortunately haven't noticed it on either set of my Joycons. Nintendo really should just cross-ship you new/refurbished joycons instead of making you go without them to repair them for weeks. These things are already ridiculously priced at $80 and it's not like it's any different for them profit wise if they just replace them since they're just going to refurbish the set you send in to send to someone else or resell.

That sucks man, you just got that thing like barely 2 months ago too, right? I've had mine since May and fortunately haven't noticed it on either set of my Joycons. Nintendo really should just cross-ship you new/refurbished joycons instead of making you go without them to repair them for weeks. These things are already ridiculously priced at $80 and it's not like it's any different for them profit wise if they just replace them since they're just going to refurbish the set you send in to send to someone else or resell.

Got it Aug 8th. I'm glad it happened early on though. At some point nintendo will stop fixing them for free so I at least get that.

Sucks not having any extra controllers but it does give me an excuse to play with Homebrew somemore on it.

Links Awakening has shipped. Should arrive tomorrow! I haven’t played this game since the GBC version.

$60 is a bit of a hard sell for me on that one, but I will end up grabbing it eventually. Really loved that game on the GB.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
$60 is a bit of a hard sell for me on that one, but I will end up grabbing it eventually. Really loved that game on the GB.

Yeah, I'm sure it's great, but doesn't seem like $60 worth of game to me. But I'm still playing through BotW too, hah. Keep getting distracted by PC game backlog and PS4 exclusives as well. I still have a $60 game voucher to spend on the eShop too, but saving it until I at least beat BotW and Mario Odyssey to decide on what to play next on it.

Yeah compared to other remasters like Spyro or Crash being trilogy’s for 40 it’s a bit steep. But on the other hand this is a full remaster of a Nintendo game. You know how they feel about price drops. Those don’t exist.

All the same, if we were to pretend it was just a new entry in the Zelda series the price feels more palatable. At least to me, since I know I’m going to love the damn game.

Yeah compared to other remasters like Spyro or Crash being trilogy’s for 40 it’s a bit steep. But on the other hand this is a full remaster of a Nintendo game. You know how they feel about price drops. Those don’t exist.

All the same, if we were to pretend it was just a new entry in the Zelda series the price feels more palatable. At least to me, since I know I’m going to love the damn game.

Nintendo games have been $30-40 in the eShop a few times. I picked up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for $40 back in June and there were a few other Nintendo titles for the same price then. A friend got New Super Mario Bros 2 for $30 back in April too. This is all in the eShop, but retailers have matched them too if you want physical copies.

Nintendo games have been $30-40 in the eShop a few times. I picked up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for $40 back in June and there were a few other Nintendo titles for the same price then. A friend got New Super Mario Bros 2 for $30 back in April too.
But are those price drops or are they sales?

Either way it’s a joke because historically Nintendo first party games hold their MSRP for a longer period.

But are those price drops or are they sales?

Either way it’s a joke because historically Nintendo first party games hold their MSRP for a longer period.

Sales that lasted a few days to a week. Not sure why that matters though since typically you're going to get a game on sale for as much or less than any price drop regardless of platform.

You're right about them not doing price drops, but don't see why you would dismiss occasional sales that they have themselves in their own market and other major retailers.

I don't blame you for buying Link's Awakening now though, I would too if I didn't already have a healthy backlog of higher priority AAA titles to play across all platforms. I only pay full price for games I intend to play immediately, just like I'm sure you're about to do.

60 bucks for Link's Awakening is a rip off. It was 30 bucks when I bought it as a kid and its not a new game. I will wait for a sale and get it to relive some of my childhood memories.

Sales that lasted a few days to a week. Not sure why that matters though since typically you're going to get a game on sale for as much or less than any price drop regardless of platform.

You're right about them not doing price drops, but don't see why you would dismiss occasional sales that they have themselves in their own market and other major retailers.

I don't blame you for buying Link's Awakening now though, I would too if I didn't already have a healthy backlog of higher priority AAA titles to play across all platforms. I only pay full price for games I intend to play immediately, just like I'm sure you're about to do.
Not being dismissive just saying there is a difference between a sale and an actual MSRP reduction. And hell yes I’m going to play the shit out of this.

60 bucks for Link's Awakening is a rip off. It was 30 bucks when I bought it as a kid and its not a new game. I will wait for a sale and get it to relive some of my childhood memories.

Iunno. With inflation $30 in 1993 comes to $53 in 2019 and game development costs are definitely higher. Rip off is a bit much but if it isn’t worth it for you I can respect that.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this

Honestly for most their target market it is a new entry. For a lot of younger people the Switch is their first console. And there's a fair share of us old guys that never played it on our Gameboys.

I'm excited for a new to me Zelda game. Really excited about the dungeon maker aspect of it too.

Also my joycon is now marked as 'in service'

I agree, i will be buying the physical copy, beating it next week, then dropping it on ebay for 50 bucks. N games sell really well, especially new releases, it will only end up costing me 15-20 bucks to play it.

like this
Got my switch from nintendo back last week. Found out from work they are closing the office today and monday so 4 day weekend. Picked up Links awakening and Grandia HD collection. Actually more excited to play Grandia II since it was one of my favorite games, still have the PC dvd.

Shipping info says my joycon should be here Monday. My coworker sent theirs out Friday, we are going to see what the time frame is on his. But for right now it looks like a 7 day turn around.

na, it's not very good

Yeah, I haven't tried it myself, but heard bad things about it (ie: very simple). I still think there's a solid game to be made with that idea though (Super Mario Maker-style Dungeon maker.)

Yeah, I haven't tried it myself, but heard bad things about it (ie: very simple). I still think there's a solid game to be made with that idea though (Super Mario Maker-style Dungeon maker.)

absolutely, but not here. You can just drag and drop entire rooms, from existing dungeons, and only the small rooms.

Yeah. This implementation of making Zelda dungeons really lands in the tedious column. It’s vaguely amusing for a bit but it’s all just endlessly replaying the same rooms.

And it greatly overstays it’s welcome to get the few rewards locked behind it.

Switch Lite is pretty cool and definitely worth $200.

I like the Switch library, but the original system was kind of bulky as a portable.

The Lite version is a much better size and weight, I could see this being a big hit.

Got my joy con back on Tuesday. Seems to work ok but time will tell.

Also used my winnings from work to order a Mayflash Magic-ns adapter so I can use my computer's ps4 controller(freebie from work. Thing was nasty and needs new thumbsticks, but after a good cleaning it works great) on the switch.

Almost done with Links Awakening, been playing here and there on my business trips, I really can’t recommend it enough. Been discussing it a lot with people at work, been getting tons of praise from many folks. Lot of love went into this remake for sure.

Also grabbed Dragon Quest XI today to have for upcoming trips. Been having a good time with the demo, and that save carries over to the retail version, so it’ll be a seamless transition.

Almost done with Links Awakening, been playing here and there on my business trips, I really can’t recommend it enough. Been discussing it a lot with people at work, been getting tons of praise from many folks. Lot of love went into this remake for sure.

Also grabbed Dragon Quest XI today to have for upcoming trips. Been having a good time with the demo, and that save carries over to the retail version, so it’ll be a seamless transition.

I will say they did a great job on the remake, still don't think it was worth 60 bucks when as others have said you got 3 spyro game remakes for 40 bucks and they were very well done as well. The crash games were the same way. Double fine remade a few classics and they were 15 bucks each on patreon, not sure if they were more once they came out at first.

As it stands now I have a few friends that want to borrow my cart of the game since they don't want to pay that much. It should have been priced in the 30 to 40 dollar range. I'd tell people to hold off if they have something else to play until it drops in price, if they don't have anything else they really want to play right now(which was me) then take the kick to the nuts and pick it up.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I've been super into Tetris 99 recently.

I'm gonna win one dammit! I made it to top 3 with, what i consider, fabulous fucking luck, but someday, I'll win!

I haven't picked up Link's Awakening or Astral Chain as I'm on a self imposed game buying ban for the immediate time being.

like this
I will say they did a great job on the remake, still don't think it was worth 60 bucks when as others have said you got 3 spyro game remakes for 40 bucks and they were very well done as well. The crash games were the same way. Double fine remade a few classics and they were 15 bucks each on patreon, not sure if they were more once they came out at first.

As it stands now I have a few friends that want to borrow my cart of the game since they don't want to pay that much. It should have been priced in the 30 to 40 dollar range. I'd tell people to hold off if they have something else to play until it drops in price, if they don't have anything else they really want to play right now(which was me) then take the kick to the nuts and pick it up.
Nintendo is th Apple of the gaming world. Can't soil their reputation and their illusion of greatness by releasing cheap stuff.

It was 49 at walmart on launch day

Nintendo is th Apple of the gaming world. Can't soil their reputation and their illusion of greatness by releasing cheap stuff.

It's a meh for me. I never played the original. The graphics and scenery look great, but the dungeons are awful. Not very creatively done, the one with the color blocks is a clusterfuck. How was i to know to jump off into the abyss. All boss fights were ridiculously easy, most i probably didn't lose a heart.

Don’t disagree with you, $60 is a bit steep for the majority of folks, no doubt. Personally, I buy what I like and I don’t care about the price. What’s important is that I get that entertainment value out of it, I place that much higher on the scale. Helps to have that gamers club discount from Best Buy as well (20% off for all games)!

I do agree that $40 would have been a great price, but it is Zelda, and it is Nintendo.

Don’t disagree with you, $60 is a bit steep for the majority of folks, no doubt. Personally, I buy what I like and I don’t care about the price. What’s important is that I get that entertainment value out of it, I place that much higher on the scale. Helps to have that gamers club discount from Best Buy as well (20% off for all games)!

I do agree that $40 would have been a great price, but it is Zelda, and it is Nintendo.

I don't regret it. Love the game, they did a great job with it.

I have a hackable switch got first week of launch, that’s always sat in the dock, and only played 4-5 games on it since purchase,
It’s bately ever been used and the OS hasn’t been updated in a year....

If I’m interested in selling it not updating the OS is seen as a value booster for a prospective buyer who wants to hack it right?

Last edited:
Back