Actually, it does kind of sound odd, but I typically bring a handheld when I go camping or when I go on trips. Even if I'm somewhere like Play del Carmen or Maui it's nice to have. It's not like I'm sitting in a hotel or a tent all day playing. I'll get up, eat something good, get in the water, if it's just my wife and I, we'll probably have a bunch of drinks, maybe hang with people if we meet someone cool, sometimes go out at night. Then, when we're finally back in the room, and done doing whatever else, it's sometimes fun to play a game while maybe my wife reads or something. Same thing in the early morning because my sleep schedule is always totally whacked out on vacations. I've actually managed to play a lot of games this way without ever cutting into vacation activities. There are also typically "recovery days" involved in some of the vacations my wife and I take. :D Sometimes after a night of partying or whatever we like to just spend a day in bed. Another opportunity to play a bit. You can definitely squeeze some guilt-free gaming into trips of all kinds IMO. Not to mention actual travel time. I think it's fun camping too. Sure, go out, play in the woods or beach or wherever you're camping, make fires, drink, climb, whatever. When that's all done, and you're laying in your tent or vehicle or whatever, play a game for a bit. It's actually kind of interesting listening to the sounds outside, or people still up at the fire, but laying back and playing some Shovel Knight. :D

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Not to get away from Nintendo, to get away from the internet.

I'm kinda just teasing, I've taken my 3ds before.. only I was backpack/camping when it's cooler out. Problem is the damn sun goes down at 6, and I'm used to sleeping at 11. Staring at the fire is great, but when you're alone... 5 hours of it is just excessive.

Playing some Zelda in BFE by the fire in November was pretty darn awesome though.

I'm definitely planning on grabbing the Switch during black friday. I realize the sales won't be that great, but might as well get in on the action before end of year.

I brought mine camping with me because I work third shift so it's not always easy for me to flip my sleep schedule back over. Rather than lying there at 2am in the morning unable to sleep; I played my switch instead.

Axiom Verge is out on Switch now, so if you haven't played it, and like 2D Metroid style games (that are actually like Metroid) I'd highly recommend this game.

I fricking love Golf Story. Will probably pick up Stardew Valley as well, even though I have it for the PC.

Golf Story does look fun. I'll be grabbing that when I get a Switch.

I bought a Switch from a user here on Hardforum, should be here sometime in the week. I bought Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, along with the Splatoon green/pink JoyCon set. Also ordering the separate JoyCon charging dock. I already have a few USB type C chargers that do 5v/3A since my phone is a Moto Z. Any other must-have accessories?

I bought a Switch from a user here on Hardforum, should be here sometime in the week. I bought Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, along with the Splatoon green/pink JoyCon set. Also ordering the separate JoyCon charging dock. I already have a few USB type C chargers that do 5v/3A since my phone is a Moto Z. Any other must-have accessories?

Pro controller, IMO.

The Pro Controller is a must have. At least if you're in any way comfortable with Xbox Controllers. It's essentially like a super durable Xbox controller with no analog triggers.

Pro controller, IMO.
The Pro Controller is a must have. At least if you're in any way comfortable with Xbox Controllers. It's essentially like a super durable Xbox controller with no analog triggers.
Sounds good, was planning on getting one anyway :) Any other stuff that you guys have found useful? I also figured I'll get a second USB-C to HDMI/USB connector so that I can easily switch between living room/bedroom/etc, along with a USB-C PD power supply that will do 15v/2A.

Sounds good, was planning on getting one anyway :) Any other stuff that you guys have found useful? I also figured I'll get a second USB-C to HDMI/USB connector so that I can easily switch between living room/bedroom/etc, along with a USB-C PD power supply that will do 15v/2A.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe you can just use a third-party adapter as a dock. I think there is some special circuitry involved.

Happy to be wrong though, if something has come out since I last checked.

EDIT: I guess you can get something like this that is Switch-specific: https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Ad...181&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=fassnial+swich+dock

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unless something has changed, I don't believe you can just use a third-party adapter as a dock. I think there is some special circuitry involved.

Happy to be wrong though, if something has come out since I last checked.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MYLP9C/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2YJ9V1LTMOX1Y&colid=3OWC33D1SKJIF

The switch (apparently) uses a standard Displayport alternate mode of USB-C, and the dock converts it to HDMI, I guess it just took someone figuring out what it was doing and do it the same way :)

Screen protector. Especially one of the tempered glass one. Personally, I use the Orzly one, the amFilm one seems to have some issues with the glue shrinking due to heat from the Switch being used in the dock. If you want to use the Switch undocked a lot, maybe some kind of stand so you can charge it while playing.

Screen protector. Especially one of the tempered glass one. Personally, I use the Orzly one, the amFilm one seems to have some issues with the glue shrinking due to heat from the Switch being used in the dock. If you want to use the Switch undocked a lot, maybe some kind of stand so you can charge it while playing.

I'm so happy they're making glass protectors for the Switch. I never used screen protectors until I tried a tempered glass one, and now there's no way I'd use anything else. I'll definitely be grabbing one when I get a Switch.

I've never used a screen protector on any phone or device in the past, but I'll consider it for the Switch, though I don't think I'll need a stand. Thank you!

Went to grab a Pro controller from Amazon, and saw someone listed one at $30 with a couple bucks for shipping for one 'like new' so figured I'd take a chance on it :D

I've never used a screen protector on any phone or device in the past, but I'll consider it for the Switch, though I don't think I'll need a stand. Thank you!

Went to grab a Pro controller from Amazon, and saw someone listed one at $30 with a couple bucks for shipping for one 'like new' so figured I'd take a chance on it :D
Just remember the switch’s screen is plastic and not some form of gorilla glass.

Yeah, definitely get a screen protector. No idea why they chose to make the screen out of that soft plastic.

Yeah, definitely get a screen protector. No idea why they chose to make the screen out of that soft plastic.

Most likely cost. With the price point Nintendo targeted there are a lot of things you have to cut corners on to save money, even if its only a couple bucks per saved. Plastic screens also hold up a bit better then glass when it comes to being dropped. They're scratch easier, but they won't shatter.

Can the switch be modded to allow emulators to run on them?

If they can, I'd be interested in getting a switch myself.

Can the switch be modded to allow emulators to run on them?

If they can, I'd be interested in getting a switch myself.
Not yet(?). Nintendo is taking security rather seriously this time around. Basically everything is on featureless lockdown.

These are fantastic screen protectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plus, it's tough to beat 2 for $9.

Another item worth considering is a USB Ethernet adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It won't fix latency issues caused by the millions of WiFi users, but it will at least ensure you aren't the problem child.

Your latency comment makes zero sense.

None at all.

Your latency comment makes zero sense.

None at all.

Maybe it's a poor use of terminology, but 99.9% of the people on the Switch (which number in the millions) are using WiFi. That's a problem.
Wired > WiFi when playing online games. There is never a case where it's the reverse unless you're simply counting convenience. It's especially the case in games where you have to have frame-specific inputs. Try playing Ultra Street Fighter 2 with 2 WiFi players vs. 2 players using the Ethernet adapter and it's night and day. Same players and same connections.
Maybe "latency" isn't the right term and I should I specifically said lag, packet loss, signal strength, interference, etc.

Maybe it's a poor use of terminology, but 99.9% of the people on the Switch (which number in the millions) are using WiFi. That's a problem.
Wired > WiFi when playing online games. There is never a case where it's the reverse unless you're simply counting convenience. It's especially the case in games where you have to have frame-specific inputs. Try playing Ultra Street Fighter 2 with 2 WiFi players vs. 2 players using the Ethernet adapter and it's night and day. Same players and same connections.
Maybe "latency" isn't the right term and I should I specifically said lag, packet loss, signal strength, interference, etc.

Right, but that's only for their device. It has no affect on the other person, as the latency for wifi is only from end device -> router. After that it's all the same.

Ignore my snarky comments, it's just what i do lol.

These are fantastic screen protectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plus, it's tough to beat 2 for $9.

Another item worth considering is a USB Ethernet adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It won't fix latency issues caused by the millions of WiFi users, but it will at least ensure you aren't the problem child.

I've seen several reports of the glue melting and shrinking on those due to the heat the system generates while in the Switch dock.

I picked up a Switch sunday. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse paying full price with the lack of titles that interest me. That said, Zelda is fun and by the time I finish it there should be plenty more games.

I am really excited about the mobility. What would really make it worthwhile is if they added Nvidia streaming since it's tegra based. Getting a Switch and Nvidia Shield for $299 would feel like a much better deal.

I picked up a Switch sunday. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse paying full price with the lack of titles that interest me. That said, Zelda is fun and by the time I finish it there should be plenty more games.

I am really excited about the mobility. What would really make it worthwhile is if they added Nvidia streaming since it's tegra based. Getting a Switch and Nvidia Shield for $299 would feel like a much better deal.

That would be cool, but there'd need to be some pretty heavy OS changes I'd imagine. Not sure how the Switch operates in that department. I've got a shield TV (mostly for streaming games to my bedroom for lazy playing on occasion or at night before I go to sleep) but I think I'll have the Switch dock in my living room. (even though I'll probably use it mostly in a mobile context)

I would imagine they could add the streaming as an app\game. The Moonlight app for apple devices and android already does this.

It would also be cool to see hulu, netflix, amazon apps (even the Wii had these). Replacing my Roku and ipad would have been another benefit.

I think the Switch is a nice piece of kit but Nintendo is wasting a lot of potential that doesn't seem that hard to implement.

I would imagine they could add the streaming as an app\game. The Moonlight app for apple devices and android already does this.

It would also be cool to see hulu, netflix, amazon apps (even the Wii had these). Replacing my Roku and ipad would have been another benefit.

I think the Switch is a nice piece of kit but Nintendo is wasting a lot of potential that doesn't seem that hard to implement.

Based on their slow / mostly not yet existing VC, and some other promised features, I would say that this is probably all coming. I get they idea that they wanted to get the console released and in peoples' hands before all of the secondary infrastructure was in place. i'd be willing to bet that we will see at least the streaming services in the next six months or so.

Screen protector. ...the amFilm one seems to have some issues with the glue shrinking due to heat from the Switch being used in the dock.

I've seen several reports of the glue melting and shrinking on those due to the heat the system generates while in the Switch dock.

I have the amFilm glass screen protector (since launch) and have had no issues, and I use my Switch docked about 80% of the time (including over 100 hours of docked Zelda play).

The reported problem with the glue "melting" (actually air bubbles generated under the silicone adhesive) is due to faulty installation by the end user from the research I did. The only time you see those air bubbles form is if you do not give the amFilm 24 hours to "cure" after you install it before you turn on the console and heat it up. If you do it properly, and wait the full 24 hours before turning on your Switch again, you will not have that issue.

Yeah I use that amFilm stuff, play with it in the dock 95% of the time and haven't had any issues with peeling or bubbles.

I have it on both my wifes and my own Switch.. Neither have had any issues. Although hers has a little lifted up corner of it because I fucked her install up and had to pull it up.

I just purchased those screen protectors and installed it last night. They are just slightly too small to fit perfectly into the screen area which makes install a bit more tricky that I would have liked. If you're not OCD about the screen protector being exactly even on all sides, you probably wouldn't even notice.

I just purchased those screen protectors and installed it last night. They are just slightly too small to fit perfectly into the screen area which makes install a bit more tricky that I would have liked. If you're not OCD about the screen protector being exactly even on all sides, you probably wouldn't even notice.

Hehe, I'm totally OCD with that sort of thing, so I'll definitely be taking some time to get them on there straight. :D

2 more days, so excited!!!!!! :D

Loving FE: Warriors right now, but when Odyssey comes out, Im gonna shelve Warriors till I finish Odyssey

Well, I beat Breath of the Wild last night. Finished all of the shrines and found maybe 100ish Korok seeds (yeah, not gonna spend that much more time on them lol). 85 hours since the 13th. Was considering going through it again on Master Mode, but after I learned that enemies start to recover health after just a couple of seconds, fuck that noise.

I have Mario Kart 8 and Stardew Valley that I haven't put any time into, and I ordered Odyssey last night so it should be here early next week.

Back