If you want to get right down to it, the Mario Kart games after MK: Wii have been very similar only with better graphics. I'm oversimplifying, but if you aren't a hardcore fan it's easy to come to that conclusion.
In particular, 7 and 8 are extremely similar by any standards.
I love the games and don't think that's a bad thing, but I don't think they're winning any new fans. Then again, with their sales I don't think they care!

I did in fact buy 8 because I never played Wii U, and my current standing that I wouldn't mind Nintendo re-releasing some games on the Switch.

Sure, I'd prefer brand new games over reusing old ones, but for Super Mario/Luigi/Smash, I'll take ports if they are complete.

If you want to get right down to it, the Mario Kart games after MK: Wii have been very similar only with better graphics. I'm oversimplifying, but if you aren't a hardcore fan it's easy to come to that conclusion.
I love the games and don't think that's a bad thing, but I don't think they're winning any new fans. Then again, with their sales I don't think they care!

Of course they're winning new fans. People fresh to the series wouldn't know if its like games before it or not.

That is what I was alluding too.

Of course they're winning new fans. People fresh to the series wouldn't know if its like games before it or not.

Mario Kart Wii (the last major shake-up for the series) sold 37 million copies. Mario Kart 7 sold 14. Mario Kart 8 moved 7.5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 3.2 so far.
That's a pretty steady decline.

Mario Kart Wii (the last major shake-up for the series) sold 37 million copies. Mario Kart 7 sold 14. Mario Kart 8 moved 7.5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has 3.2 so far.
That's a pretty steady decline.

Wii console sales 101.63 million versus 37 million copies of Mario Kart Wii
3DS console sales 68.98 million versus 14 million copies of Mario Kart 7
Wii U console sales 13.56 million versus 7.5 million copies of Mario Kart 8
Switch console sales 7.63 million versus 3.2 million copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Seems like they're doing a pretty good job selling copies to people who have consoles, certainly better then before. Considering the Wii U bundled it with the console toward the end of it's life, the Switch's Deluxe version sales are even more impressive.

Wii console sales 101.63 million versus 37 million copies of Mario Kart Wii
3DS console sales 68.98 million versus 14 million copies of Mario Kart 7
Wii U console sales 13.56 million versus 7.5 million copies of Mario Kart 8
Switch console sales 7.63 million versus 3.2 million copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Seems like they're doing a pretty good job selling copies to people who have consoles, certainly better then before. Considering the Wii U bundled it with the console toward the end of it's life, the Switch's Deluxe version sales are even more impressive.

Per capita isn't really all that relevant here lol.

We are talking a 10x drop in sales from wii. Granted I think a lot of that is from people who already played in on wii-u.

We are talking a 10x drop in sales from wii. Granted I think a lot of that is from people who already played in on wii-u.

I don't know, I think it's pretty relevant. Do you expect a game to sell 30+ million copies when only ~7 million consoles have been sold? Just doesn't make sense.

Overall sales percentages dropped a bit from the Wii U, but that seems to be expected given it's essentially a re-release of that title.

I don't know, I think it's pretty relevant. Do you expect a game to sell 30+ million copies when only ~7 million consoles have been sold? Just doesn't make sense.

Overall sales percentages dropped a bit from the Wii U, but that seems to be expected given it's essentially a re-release of that title.

That, and the Switch hasn't been readily available to a lot of people until just recently. I have a feeling people picking it up right now, are probably grabbing Zelda and Mario, and then when they finish those and jonesing for a game, more will pick up MK8. Just speculation of course.

Exactly, it's completely relevant.

36.4% of Wii owners have purchased Mario Kart Wii
20.2% of 3DS owners have purchased Mario Kart 7
55.3% of Wii U owners have purchased Mario Kart 8
41.9% of Switch owners have purchased Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

They're doing pretty well selling copies to people who actually can play them.

The thing about the Switch is that they keep claiming that it's trying to win back the people that didn't buy the Wii U. I feel some of that is true, but it's tough to say that Mario Kart reflects that.
No matter what, the people playing Mario Kart now vs. the Wii version is more than 10x less. The numbers have been steadily going down. It clearly isn't a system seller anymore.
IMO it's because the updates have been incremental. Just look at the jump from the SNES, to the N64, to the GC, and then to the Wii. Those were big jumps. Since then, not so much.

The thing about the Switch is that they keep claiming that it's trying to win back the people that didn't buy the Wii U. I feel some of that is true, but it's tough to say that Mario Kart reflects that.
No matter what, the people playing Mario Kart now vs. the Wii version is more than 10x less. The numbers have been steadily going down. It clearly isn't a system seller anymore.
IMO it's because the updates have been incremental. Just look at the jump from the SNES, to the N64, to the GC, and then to the Wii. Those were big jumps. Since then, not so much.

If you're trying to boil things down to a single reason you will be wrong 100% of the time. The Wii brought in tons of people that never bought a console before and will never buy another. Of course a game is going to sell massively to an audience that has never experienced it before, especially kids. If those new gamers went on to other consoles it was probably the PS4 or XB1, or they picked up a PS3 or 360. Kart racers don't appeal to every single person and a system that doesn't sell 30 million copies cannot sell 30 million units of a game. MK8 on the Wii U had an attach rate of over 50%. That is massive. 41% of Switch owners own MK8D, that is also a huge attach rate.

Last edited:

They REALLY need to release the HD Zeldas, the New Super Mario / Luigi, Super Mario 3D World, etc. on Switch. That would really round out the first party Wii-U apology titles, at least up front. Then maybe trickle out some of the others as time goes on. Maybe a version of Captain Toad with more levels that get a bit more difficult. That would be excellent for the mobility of the Switch. Maybe Pikmin, Yoshi, etc. as well.

Reactions: Youn
like this
If you're trying to boil things down to a single reason you will be wrong 100% of the time.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but the graph of MK sales is pretty much a cliff. The number of players online, too.
The pricing hasn't changed. There aren't any other games that even compete in that space. It's not like they're rushing sequels out. Reviews have been great.
At a certain point you can try and create a bunch of context (like Capcom tried to do) when people simply don't care about something anymore. Especially when there are 9 sequels.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but the graph of MK sales is pretty much a cliff. The number of players online, too.
The pricing hasn't changed. There aren't any other games that even compete in that space. It's not like they're rushing sequels out. Reviews have been great.
At a certain point you can try and create a bunch of context (like Capcom tried to do) when people simply don't care about something anymore. Especially when there are 9 sequels.

Almost 42% of Switch owners have purchased Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. What game on the PS4 or Xbox One has sold in that high percentages to the user base?

Almost 42% of Switch owners have purchased Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. What game on the PS4 or Xbox One has sold in that high percentages to the user base?

The user base is so small (and the options so limited) that it's not apples to apples. Zelda did the same #'s. Mario Odyssey probably will, too. People are buying the same 3-4 titles because they're pretty much the option. It's not like you can go buy any other high profile titles.

The user base is so small (and the options so limited) that it's not apples to apples. Zelda did the same #'s. Mario Odyssey probably will, too. People are buying the same 3-4 titles because they're pretty much the option. It's not like you can go buy any other high profile titles.

What first year titles for the Xbox One and PS4 sold that well, that 40% of early adaptors were buying a certain title? It's not like they had a ton of exclusive titles out around launch either.

They appear to be doing very well with their first party titles: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

This, and i don't see how they can claim this is all that relevant.

Do you know how much money is lost selling 34 MILLION less copies? Yikes!

The Xbox One launched with Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, NBA2K, Need for Speed, and the Lego titles. Those are pretty big names and don't even include 1st party titles like Forza and Killzone. Nintendo had Zelda and...Zelda.

The Switch is still pretty much resigned to a handful of Nintendo titles, hence the nearly 50% sales per their install base. There simply are no other options, or at least none that anyone has heard of. They're selling well to the people that bought the system, but are they really moving units long-term? The first real Zelda in a decade certainly did, but how much of the others are sales due to "what else is there - King of Fighters '91 or a Blaster Master remake?" Nintendo is such an odd banana because they're basically selling systems that play their own games and a bunch of of shovelware. They're either on top of the world or wondering what went wrong depending on a couple titles. Their eggs are in one basket. Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed could be dissolved tomorrow and MS and Sony would only be worried about missing their quarter.

I'm not anticipating any, but has anyone seen any Black Friday deals on Switch consoles and/or accessories?

The Xbox One launched with Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, NBA2K, Need for Speed, and the Lego titles. Those are pretty big names and don't even include 1st party titles like Forza and Killzone. Nintendo had Zelda and...Zelda.

The Switch is still pretty much resigned to a handful of Nintendo titles, hence the nearly 50% sales per their install base. There simply are no other options, or at least none that anyone has heard of. They're selling well to the people that bought the system, but are they really moving units long-term? The first real Zelda in a decade certainly did, but how much of the others are sales due to "what else is there - King of Fighters '91 or a Blaster Master remake?" Nintendo is such an odd banana because they're basically selling systems that play their own games and a bunch of of shovelware. They're either on top of the world or wondering what went wrong depending on a couple titles. Their eggs are in one basket. Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed could be dissolved tomorrow and MS and Sony would only be worried about missing their quarter.

Any popular system is going to get shovelware. The problem Nintendo has had in the past is the extreme length between quality releases on their systems. At times the Wii U would only get one marque title in a year because no one else was making anything for it. The Gamecube and 64 suffered from long waits between releases as well. That said, I don't think you quite understand what shovelware is. Ubi's Imagine series is shovelware. Blaster Master Zero is not. Shovelware is no effort trash shoveled onto a popular system. Any quality product that people actually took real time and effort to make is not shovelware.

Ironically, talking Blaster Master Zero, apart from its graphics, its gameplay is exactly the type of game I would prefer to play on NS more than anything else. I only played through the demo for now, but given the cost of the original game, I think I will buy the full game soon.

My only gripe is that I wished NeoGeo would release a retropack that has all of the retro games on Switch in a bundle. $8 is pretty rough on a per game basis.

All ports except for Forza and Killzone. Killzone was the only PS4 game I owned from launch until they released the Uncharted remaster game, yeah, it had basically no exclusives. Xbox One wasn't much better. Yet with the Switch I've already purchased Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2 and Odyssey as well as a handful of other 2 player games to play with my daughter. Nintendo has been making money off the hardware sales since the Switch's release and they have plenty of exclusives that they can sell you. Whatever they're doing, it certainly has them selling consoles and games.

If you want ports, Doom and FIFA 18, NBA 2K18 are available, Skyrim, Steep, Wolfenstein 2, etc. are on their way.

Ironically, talking Blaster Master Zero, apart from its graphics, its gameplay is exactly the type of game I would prefer to play on NS more than anything else. I only played through the demo for now, but given the cost of the original game, I think I will buy the full game soon.

My only gripe is that I wished NeoGeo would release a retropack that has all of the retro games on Switch in a bundle. $8 is pretty rough on a per game basis.

Shovel Knight. Amazing game with that retro feel. Switch on the go gaming is perfect for it. The added free DLC characters and stuff will keep you busy for many hours. Can't recommend it enough.

It's on my shortlist too, stymied only by the fact that it exists on the PC LOL.
But I think I might double dip on some of those.

Any popular system is going to get shovelware. The problem Nintendo has had in the past is the extreme length between quality releases on their systems. At times the Wii U would only get one marque title in a year because no one else was making anything for it. The Gamecube and 64 suffered from long waits between releases as well. That said, I don't think you quite understand what shovelware is. Ubi's Imagine series is shovelware. Blaster Master Zero is not. Shovelware is no effort trash shoveled onto a popular system. Any quality product that people actually took real time and effort to make is not shovelware.

Never said Blaster Master was shovelware, but it isn't exactly something people are lining up to buy. It's a remake of an obscure (but terrific) 80's game that pretty much nobody was clamoring for. There might be one person on the whole planet who felt motivated to buy the Switch for it.
Nintendo's shovelware problem mainly relates to the piles and piles of games like Catz and Dogz, ports of mobile games, 90's arcade ports. The Nintendo online store looks like the Android marketplace from 2013. There are about a dozen solid games and 80 phone ports that cost 2-3x as much as they do on a phone. That's been the problem with the WiiU and 3DS, too. Pop into a Target or Wal-Mart and you'll see a dozen terrific games and hundreds of mobile games that launched at $20 and and down to single digit prices. Because people can't port most power-hungry games to their devices (with some exceptions), Nintendo is padding their line-up with mobile ports.

Shovel Knight. Amazing game with that retro feel. Switch on the go gaming is perfect for it. The added free DLC characters and stuff will keep you busy for many hours. Can't recommend it enough.

Shovel Knight is absolutely incredible. I own it on every system I have. Also, Axiom Verge is on the Switch now too, which I also recommend. There are some REALLY good indie games that do not qualify as shovelware. Also, one could say that things like Assassin's Creed are shovelware. Expensive AAA shovelware, but shovelware nonetheless.

Maybe you missed your own point?

"Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed could be dissolved tomorrow and MS and Sony would only be worried about missing their quarter"

And Nintendo would be exactly the same as they are, now. MS and Sony, MS in particular, would be hurt quite a bit by yearly 2+million sellers suddently dissappearing. Nintendo has their foundation on different properties. And are we still forgetting that Nintendo sold tons of Wii?

Yes, the WiiU was a flop, in sales. They still had lots of quality exclusives. As much quantity and quality exclusives as Sony. The problem was hardware which didn't offer anything. Switch offers something. All signs point toward Switch doing quite well. Will it be as high as Wii? Time will tell.

Maybe you missed your own point?

"Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed could be dissolved tomorrow and MS and Sony would only be worried about missing their quarter"

And Nintendo would be exactly the same as they are, now. MS and Sony, MS in particular, would be hurt quite a bit by yearly 2+million sellers suddently dissappearing. Nintendo has their foundation on different properties. And are we still forgetting that Nintendo sold tons of Wii?

Nintendo's future is directly tied to their own franchises. If they don't pan out (or if they're late), it can bury them. Along with the awful branding for the WiiU, Nintendo couldn't gain any momentum with the WiiU because the only Mario was a throwback, Zelda was late, Pokken wasn't real Pokemon, etc.
MS and Sony miss quarters if 3rd party games don't pan out. Why? Because there are plenty of them. MS and Sony spread their software sales across dozens of titles. If a few go away, it's no big deal. Nintendo's ride on a handful. An entire generation can ride on 1-2 franchises for Nintendo.

Nintendo's future is directly tied to their own franchises. If they don't pan out (or if they're late), it can bury them. Along with the awful branding for the WiiU, Nintendo couldn't gain any momentum with the WiiU because the only Mario was a throwback, Zelda was late, Pokken wasn't real Pokemon, etc.
MS and Sony miss quarters if 3rd party games don't pan out. Why? Because there are plenty of them. MS and Sony spread their software sales across dozens of titles. If a few go away, it's no big deal. Nintendo's ride on a handful. An entire generation can ride on 1-2 franchises for Nintendo.

Don't forget that Nvidia has a stake in this now as well or don't you find it odd that Doom and Skyrim suddenly appeared out of nowhere ?

Not sure if you can call Skyrim out of nowhere. Doom yes, Skyrim? It has been mentioned since page one of this thread, the posts are 1 year old at this stage.

Personally though, I don't actually mind too much if Switch is relying on a few select franchises with indies filling in the gaps, it does actually fill a lot of my reasons for buying Switch anyway, those franchises and graphically undemanding indie games.

Skyrim was the first thing I saw on the Switch way back when the console was first announced... I'm looking forward to it personally as I've been putting off getting into that game and now the thought of having it on-the-go seems a perfect fit... don't care if graphics are gimped a bit...

Skyrim was the first thing I saw on the Switch way back when the console was first announced... I'm looking forward to it personally as I've been putting off getting into that game and now the thought of having it on-the-go seems a perfect fit... don't care if graphics are gimped a bit...

Just saw IGN reviewed it and gave it an 8. Mostly because it is showing its age but other than that ran and looked great.

It was not about any time frame it was rather titles which had no previous iteration on the Nintendo platform (last few generations) ..

Found this on gonintendo ;)
A user printed joy con grip with room for carts :)

tumblr_ozqcsmdQiq1qzp9weo2_1280.jpg

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2960...ed-joy-con-grip-that-also-holds-switch-game-c

Link for the 3d printer files included.

It'd be cool to see it v-shaped, so the layout/grip is more akin to standard controllers

The nintendo game list is still way too short. Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda and that's it. for a 300$+ console.

The nintendo game list is still way too short. Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda and that's it. for a 300$+ console.

that's like over 800hrs of playtime ^ indies are lovely too because of the portability factor, just played a few hours of wonder boy on tabletop mode with a sfc30 8bitdo and I enjoyed it very much.

I own a betting shop, usually stay at my post for 12-13 hours a day - everyday, this little tablet is awesome when things are too quiet here, not to mention that some customers like to play a bit of MK8 now and then :D

rocket league is definately on the wishlist, just need a better controller first, my sn30 pro cannot arrive soon enough :)

Back