I have been playing the shit out of Stardew Valley, but I wouldn't say that's a system seller. Plus it's on PC with mods, but the portable aspect is perfect for this type of game.

Depends on what you're looking for I suppose. Too short a list of first party, yes. I'll take more Mario, MK, Zelda, any day. Those games take time to develop though. However, people have been screaming for more 3rd party support from Nintendo, and now we have portable Doom and Skyrim. That doesn't help many of us who've already played them, but IMO they're worth tossing on the Switch for a change of pace on a nice little portable.

I also agree with the above. Indies. Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, etc. for starters. I'd welcome more, but I think they're off to a good start.

Anyone try a grip like this (the one in red)... seems it would make it a lot easier to use than parallel grip:
07a043f82fbdde442ec9d34b99e70d6a_preview_featured.jpg

I’ve been using the crap out of my switch lately and it’s really a very good and fun system. Being able to take it with me anywhere has been a huge plus and I’m not sure why I didn’t do that so much righ after I bought it. I took my first flight with it yesterday and wow, talk about a great time killer on a plane. It felt like our 3 hour flight was over in an instant.

Hey everyone. Just picked up a switch last night and I really need some recommendations from folks who have big hands. I 98% of the time will be using the Switch as a portable. I don't intend on ever removing the Joy-cons. That being said, I bought Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey last night and after playing Skyrim for a while my right hand and thumb were quite sore. I didn't think the device was as small as it is, but I could really use some advice. That right joystick is a huge huge pain in the ass to use. I almost have to tilt the entire console to the left so that the right joystick is farther up so I can use it. It's really bothersome. I purchased this thing to see if it helps, but I am looking for other alternatives because I am not returning the Switch b/c I like it too much but I need to find something that increases the bulk (I know that sounds crazy) of the Switch in portable mode so I can play it comfortably.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to add the "grips" I bought from Amazon. If anyone has experience or knows of something better, please let me know. http://a.co/4nBGcxL

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey everyone. Just picked up a switch last night and I really need some recommendations from folks who have big hands. I 98% of the time will be using the Switch as a portable. I don't intend on ever removing the Joy-cons. That being said, I bought Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey last night and after playing Skyrim for a while my right hand and thumb were quite sore. I didn't think the device was as small as it is, but I could really use some advice. That right joystick is a huge huge pain in the ass to use. I almost have to tilt the entire console to the left so that the right joystick is farther up so I can use it. It's really bothersome. I purchased this thing to see if it helps, but I am looking for other alternatives because I am not returning the Switch b/c I like it too much but I need to find something that increases the bulk (I know that sounds crazy) of the Switch in portable mode so I can play it comfortably.

Thanks!

You might not have thought about this is that you prolly played to long in a stressful position ;) . If you can't find any solution dial back the period you are playing for and take breaks. Or else you might be forced to play it with a bigger controller using the kick stand ...
There were some 3rd party controllers which allowed bigger joysticks ...

You might not have thought about this is that you prolly played to long in a stressful position ;) . If you can't find any solution dial back the period you are playing for and take breaks. Or else you might be forced to play it with a bigger controller using the kick stand ...

I played for 10 minutes.

Thanks!

yourewelcome.gif

I played for 10 minutes.
I agree with Pieter3dnow that you should try either using the kickstand with the Joycons disconnected or a Pro controller. I get the same kind of discomfort when trying to use it as a handheld, especially with games like Mario Kart.

I agree with Pieter3dnow that you should try either using the kickstand with the Joycons disconnected or a Pro controller. I get the same kind of discomfort when trying to use it as a handheld, especially with games like Mario Kart.

Doesn't work when I want to play in bed.

Links me to IndieGogo

Estimated Release: October 2017.

Looks at watch and almost December.

Look at "Update" section and first thing I see is "Sorry for the delay."

..so um, thanks?

Doesn't really move the configuration of the thumbstick (which is what it seems like you want), but there is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...d=1511380882&sr=8-5&keywords=switch+grip+case

Has bonus cart storage as well.

There is also this thing which comes with little nubs for the thumbsticks:

https://www.amazon.com/YoRHa-Silico...1380882&sr=8-8&keywords=switch+grip+case&th=1

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
the first one is sold by copycats, it won't allow you to dock nor it will feel as high quality as the original one.

46$ for a pro controller like grip on the go + roomy hard shell travel case + free shipping is still a hell of a deal despite the numerous delays.

The nintendo game list is still way too short. Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda and that's it. for a 300$+ console.

Too short? Its only been out since March. That many great games is outstanding in such a short time. Nintendo has put out a big title almost every single month since launch. And don't forget the smaller titles like ARMS and Mario + Rabbids, both of which are good in their own right. Plus, there is a ton of great indie stuff on the eShop. And next month there is Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sony and MS certainly didn't have that many great first-party titles released in the same amount of time for their previous two systems.

I have been playing the shit out of Stardew Valley, but I wouldn't say that's a system seller. Plus it's on PC with mods, but the portable aspect is perfect for this type of game.

The game doesn't look that interesting on the face of it, but everyone says it's fun. You may have swayed me to get it.

Me and my wife played the 9 Parchments demo and it was pretty fun. We died several times learning things, but the mechanics were good. The game looks beautiful too, and that's playing on the low-ish res Switch on a 75" TV. So we might end up getting the Xbone version if the graphics are better, but otherwise it was very fun as a couch co-op game.

Reminded me slightly of our WoW raiding days. Don't stand in stuff. AOE damage. Kiting. Crowd Control. It seems like there might be an element of threat level.

The demo is free and is pretty short, but you get a feel of the game mechanics.

The game doesn't look that interesting on the face of it, but everyone says it's fun. You may have swayed me to get it.

It didn't grab me at first...I bought it on the PC awhile back and barely touched it. Seems like a much better fit on the Switch with the portability.

Though, on the PC there are apparently mods and stuff so that is pretty cool.

the first one is sold by copycats, it won't allow you to dock nor it will feel as high quality as the original one.

46$ for a pro controller like grip on the go + roomy hard shell travel case + free shipping is still a hell of a deal despite the numerous delays.

Yeah, that one does look cool if you can really dock it with the case on. $46 is pretty steep though, I'll probably wait and see how successful it is and pick one up on Amazon eventually.

The nintendo game list is still way too short. Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda and that's it. for a 300$+ console.

Agree for the most part, however this is what I have so far...

• Skyrim (awesome playing this on the Switch btw)
  • Rocket League
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Resident Evil Revelations (just released this morning and bought it)
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 (just released this morning and bought it)
Also, Splatoon 2 as well as Doom is out now. Wolfenstein 2 is coming to Switch early next year. So there is plenty to play. Skyrim and Breath of the Wild alone will keep me busy for a while.

Lets be honest the real question is are Zelda and mario worth the cost of admission?

Yea skyrim, isn't that game a good 10 years old? I don't get the appeal.

You never play older games?

Anyways, Not everyone has played it. You can play while pooping or riding the bus or lunch break at work.

I'm old enough to remember a time, when bathroom breaks were boring.

like this
Lets be honest the real question is are Zelda and mario worth the cost of admission?

For me, Zelda alone ended up being worth it...I put a LOT of time into that game.

Mario is also excellent, and we've got several promising titles coming.

like this
I'm old enough to remember a time, when bathroom breaks were boring.

So, before the original Gameboy came out? I've been taking game systems to the bathroom with me since I was a teenager and got a GBA.

Well I have been keeping my Switch purchases exclusively to exclusives, even if the games could be better played on the Swifch (EG SteamWorld Dig 2, Ironically enough...), but I am looking forward to more indie titles on the Switch.

I am loving my switch so far, phsically I've purchased;
Fire Emblem: Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild: Explorer's Edition
Rayman Legends
Axiom Verge
Sonic Forces

Digitally;
Steamworld Dig 2
Golf Story
Sonic Mania
Stardew Valley

I am having more of a problem figuring out what game i want to play and beat more than, what game is there to play... I love the switch and I cant wait for the next year with it now.

So, before the original Gameboy came out? I've been taking game systems to the bathroom with me since I was a teenager and got a GBA.

Batteries were expensive and it chewed through them. I had to conserve for long trips.

I assume in this context a GBA is a communicable disease? :p

I loved the SP. One of my favorite portables.

I assume in this context a GBA is a communicable disease? :p

I loved the SP. One of my favorite portables.

The SP was a very slick design - I remember making a full 3D model of it in Solidworks for an engineering class I was taking. It was a bit hard on larger hands but the portability cannot be denied. I still have mine somewhere.

Since Reddit is full of asshole tweenagers I figured i'd post this here instead. These are my impressions after using the Switch for a week. Likely nothing new, but being 31 now and having come from PC gaming this is quite a change in pace.

Pros:

• Portable/Home console hybrid. This is a no-brainer. I love the fact that this thing can be taken with you if you are going somewhere, but you can also play on your TV when you are home if you so choose. I personally never dock the Switch because it's always on my night-stand for some before bed gaming, but I have tried it in docked mode and it's great to have this option and a smart design choice for Nintendo. Hopefully this doesn't cannibalize future "3DS" or other portable options from them.

• Games & Console performance. The games are obviously the main selling point, and I think in the short life-span of the Switch thus-far there are some quality titles to keep folks busy. Right away I bought Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Rocket League, and this morning RE: Revelations 1 & 2. I've mainly been playing Skyrim, but I have played a little of all and they are all really enjoyable so far except Breath of the Wild which as a longtime Zelda fan is a bit of a departure to my tastes from past titles in terms of gameplay and other factors, but I will definitely jump back into it at some point once I beat some of these other games. In terms of performance I am stunned. It's hard to believe that I am playing Skyrim on a handheld like this and it looks great (docked it looks like trash), and the fact that Doom apparently looks and plays as good as it does on the Switch and with the upcoming Wolfenstein 2 the Switch definitely appears to be able to handle some intensive games. This has always been a spot of contention with Nintendo which is why I think a lot of developers abandoned them with the Wii U, which is that it was too under-powered. The Switch getting Doom and Wolfenstein 2, Resident Evil, and others is a good sign that third parties will port their games over to Switch. It'd be nice to see a Call of Duty, FarCry, or Assassin'd Creed or really any big third party games. I wouldn't mind Mass Effect Andromeda on the Switch although that might be asking a lot.

• Accessories. This kind of falls into a Pro and Con to me, but after buying the Switch with the knowledge i'd mainly be playing in portable mode I realized very quickly that I would not be able to play the Switch the way that it was out the box. My hands are way too big and I needed something for my fingers to hold onto. I have bought 3 underhand grips from Amazon so far for the Switch so my massive hands can use the device, but I am glad there are so many options out there for accessories otherwise using the Switch would have been a huge problem for me. A huge shout out to Nintendo as well for adopting regular MicroSD cards for expand-ability. As any previous or current Vita owner will tell you, that's a really good move on Nintendo's part.
Cons:

• Switch Design. So, overall I am not complaining about the design but there are some changes that should have been made to this console from the get-go. I had this same problem with my Vita... why oh why did they have to put the charging port at the bottom of the console? It makes no sense other than from a docking perspective. No entirely sure how this could have been mitigated with how important the docking feature is, but something else should have been done maybe even a right angle USB C adapter that points out the back because the Nintendo power brick for the Switch... the connector sticks very far out from the bottom of the Switch when plugged in and when playing in bed is a real bother. The other small thing is the size of the Switch. It is just barely justifiable as a portable device to me. It's not as portable as a 3DS or a Vita, but it is technically portable even if marginally so. Everyone will have a different definition of portable, but to me that is being able to put something in my pocket, and at the most in a cargo pocket and that's part of why I enjoyed the 3DS and Vita so much when I used to travel more. Also, the right analog stick is too far down. I know that was a design choice of being able to play multiplayer, but it still sucks when trying to play in portable mode. The reach is a little tight; especially for someone with big hands like myself.

• Battery life and charging issues. Battery life leaves a lot to be desired for me in my testing thus far, but it's not a huge deal because of my use with the console. However if this is to be a portable console then it should have better battery life than it does. And personally for me since I have big hands, if it was thicker to accommodate a bigger battery I would have been fine with that. If I travel I will have to buy a external battery pack. The charging issues on the other hand really confuse me. Using the Switch by my bed with a dual USB wall charger and the Switch being plugged into the higher AMP side does not charge the Switch. I had to buy a second official Nintendo Switch wall brick to charge the thing while in bed and so I can keep one with the dock. It's a little silly, but I understand it's not exactly like a regular tablet so it requires more juice but to witness a battery drain while plugged into the charge was very strange.

• Online. This has always been a spot where Nintendo needs to constantly play catch-up. Doing without friend codes, incorporating cloud saves for games, virtual console... these are all things that need to be incorporated. I am sure these will come with time, but I wish these things would have been available right away since we have had those features since the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Summary. I really love it. I think it's a fantastic device and I am really hoping that with software updates it will only get better in the future.

• Portable/Home console hybrid. This is a no-brainer. I love the fact that this thing can be taken with you if you are going somewhere, but you can also play on your TV when you are home if you so choose. I personally never dock the Switch because it's always on my night-stand for some before bed gaming, but I have tried it in docked mode and it's great to have this option and a smart design choice for Nintendo. Hopefully this doesn't cannibalize future "3DS" or other portable options from them.
Honestly, I don't know if I mind them focusing more on Switch than 3DS at this point (and this is coming from someone who owns a 3DS and a New 3DS). Every time I pick up the 3DS it just reminds me how much superior the graphics and performance are on the Switch. It still has its place, but if it were phased out over the course of a few years I wouldn't be too sad. The library is already pretty solid at this point and the platform is 6 years old.

• Accessories. This kind of falls into a Pro and Con to me, but after buying the Switch with the knowledge i'd mainly be playing in portable mode I realized very quickly that I would not be able to play the Switch the way that it was out the box. My hands are way too big and I needed something for my fingers to hold onto. I have bought 3 underhand grips from Amazon so far for the Switch so my massive hands can use the device, but I am glad there are so many options out there for accessories otherwise using the Switch would have been a huge problem for me. A huge shout out to Nintendo as well for adopting regular MicroSD cards for expand-ability. As any previous or current Vita owner will tell you, that's a really good move on Nintendo's part.
Agreed...I really don't like the Joy-Cons, they don't feel right in my hands. The Pro controller is great, but for max portability you are still stuck with the Joy-Cons.

Overall good review, I feel pretty similar. I actually end up using the Switch mostly in the dock, which is not really what I expected when I bought it, but portable is great too.

Honestly, I don't know if I mind them focusing more on Switch than 3DS at this point (and this is coming from someone who owns a 3DS and a New 3DS). Every time I pick up the 3DS it just reminds me how much superior the graphics and performance are on the Switch. It still has its place, but if it were phased out over the course of a few years I wouldn't be too sad. The library is already pretty solid at this point and the platform is 6 years old.

Agreed...I really don't like the Joy-Cons, they don't feel right in my hands. The Pro controller is great, but for max portability you are still stuck with the Joy-Cons.

Overall good review, I feel pretty similar. I actually end up using the Switch mostly in the dock, which is not really what I expected when I bought it, but portable is great too.

I am going to try my games with the dock over the weekend. Only tried Skyrim so far and it looked like trash when in the dock so I quickly stopped. Although since then i've bought:

Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Rocket League
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Revelations 2

I have yet to try any of those 5 on the dock to see how it looks. The Pro controller looks nice, but I can't justify it since I mostly play the Switch in bed and the little thing that came with the Switch that the Joy Cons slide into is actually pretty good imo.

Also, the only reason I mentioned the 3DS is because of the form factor. It's perfect for portability. The Switch is not "portable" in the sense that the 3DS XL is for instance. When I travel it's nice to be able to fit my 3DS into my luggage and takes up minimal space. The Switch on the other-hands needs it's own travel case, and the charging situation for the Switch is a problem too. It needs quite a lot of juice for a portable if you want to be able to play and charge and the only thing I have found that does this is the official Nintendo Switch charging brick which I have bought two of now. One to keep by my bed and the other plugged into the dock by the TV. If I were to travel with this guy overseas which I will be, then it'll be hard to find a portable battery that supplies enough watts/amps or whatever to play and charge the Switch. There is already many discussions about this about which portable batteries can charge the Switch while playing and there are only a handful. This being one of them: http://a.co/5fALxTd

Last edited:
Back