newegg 20% off using paypal (cheap hdds!)

I I talked with a NE rep on live chat awhile ago and she confirmed that the promo ended at 12:30 PST and I put my order in at 11:40 so she said I should get the cash back....

After this fiasco I bet you dont see anymore offers like this lol........

Glad you guys bash one of the companies with the BEST CS in the world for ending a set deal early....Like said it was probably a set amount they could do it for and it ran out ahead of schedule. This happened one other time as well when they mispredicted how popular a sale was going to be....

Honestly, I have never been treated as nicely repeatedly through RMA and Return processes as with newegg. Not to mention they usually have the best price around or close to it and I know exactly when they will ship by after I order and can count on them for getting it out the same day if I order by a certain time.

I bash them for repeatedly doing this and for a series of about 3-4 bad spots I've had with them for the last year or so. Like you said they did this once before and yet still have not posted a retraction or sent out a letter for this one. I get that Paypal had a set amount and it got taken pretty quickly but I blame newegg for failing to advertise that this was a limited advertisement in the first place and for not posting a retraction when it was over.

Like I said this WAS one of my favorite companies, only did computer parts business with them for the past 8 years. Last two years though they have not always had the best prices and certainly have not had the best CS in RMA and returns with me and not to mentioned the piss poor job they have done on shipping my orders lately. I've not had good times with the quality of their phone reps or with the quality of their products so like I said no more egg for me, they just can't get their shit together it seems.

This happened the last time newegg did a money back promo with paypal too.

I can't believe that newegg would let a condition like that fall through the cracks. While paypal is a seriously f*cked up company and poorly run, newegg is not. I'm actually surprised and disappointed newegg has paypal checkout at all, considering all the problems they're taking on.

Actually, I couldn't complete my paypal purchase, because PAYPAL HAS NEVER F***CKING RESOLVED MY ISSUE WITH SEPERATE BILLING/SHIPPING ADDRESS GOING BACK 2 YEARS NOW. Those F**cking boneheads. I spent a week and a good 6 hours of phone time supposedly RE-resolving this shit with them a few months ago, and now it's apparently STILL impossible for me to check out with a different shipping address. I can't even re-confirm it with their interface (functionality that's part of their checkout), because of some crazy design flaw or bug.

JFC. I'm so sorry I spent time on this shit.

Restrictions: PayPal reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify part or this entire offer at any time without notice, for any reason in its sole discretion. This offer cannot be resold or transferred.

Wow.... and they'd need this clause for what reason? They're not sure if it will blow up in their face or not? Not sure why it would? Wow... .great business savvy.

Newegg updated their website and worked with me on a deal(better deal and instant deal)... Very satisified Newegg customer ! No 2 month delayed wait for my discount !

Super satisfied newegg customer ! I will name my fifth son " NEWEGG "... I only have one son right now... but I'm working on it.

:) :D

3x750GB will bring me up to 1.5TiB. $450 (-$50 paypal) - $250 ($50x300 old drives) brings the cost of the 750s to the cost of a single drive net.
Crap.
Oh well, I was gonna do it anyway.

I bash them for repeatedly doing this and for a series of about 3-4 bad spots I've had with them for the last year or so. Like you said they did this once before and yet still have not posted a retraction or sent out a letter for this one. I get that Paypal had a set amount and it got taken pretty quickly but I blame newegg for failing to advertise that this was a limited advertisement in the first place and for not posting a retraction when it was over.

Like I said this WAS one of my favorite companies, only did computer parts business with them for the past 8 years. Last two years though they have not always had the best prices and certainly have not had the best CS in RMA and returns with me and not to mentioned the piss poor job they have done on shipping my orders lately. I've not had good times with the quality of their phone reps or with the quality of their products so like I said no more egg for me, they just can't get their shit together it seems.

Sorry you have had a bad time. Maybe try asking for a super if you are having trouble with their phone reps. I have yet to ever have an issue with all the order I do for my company so I am sorry to hear that your experience has not been as good as mine.

Frankly, a deal is a deal and not something I rate a company by. They also have said on the forums you can get a free gift for your trouble (of lets remember, doing NOTHING but not getting an insane discount because it ran out) and that they appologize for the issue. Cannot say the same for when many other places change the game of their deal or have hidden things in the TOS.

They did finally update the link in the OP - including retconning the date.

As you can see (until and if they update it) they haven't done squat to the newsletter ad yet.

(Nevermind, that just got retconned too.)

Glad they did something to make it right for you. I'm slightly hopeful they'll still do something to make it up to the rest of us, but we'll have to wait and see. :(

I like this from the eggs site

LiveChat Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 7:00am - 12:30am PST

Its unavailable though.

Kyle needs to get rid of the crooks banners maybe.

Guys. on the invoice from newegg it says "Your Sales Order Date is: 11/26/2007 10:51:29 AM" I checked out the form I saved and looked at the "modified date" in my folder it says "12:43 PM" and that is also the same time in my email (I'm in Illinois EST). am I eligible for the 20% off ?

Guys. on the invoice from newegg it says "Your Sales Order Date is: 11/26/2007 10:51:29 AM" I checked out the form I saved and looked at the "modified date" in my folder it says "12:43 PM" and that is also the same time in my email (I'm in Illinois EST). am I eligible for the 20% off ?

Uhhh what part of Illinois are you in :p

Personally, I'm not going to go burning my Newegg hat/shirt yet.

Did we get screwed on the deal? I saw one post one eggxpert post refer to an invoice number cut off but didn't post what that number was.

I had the paypal 20% off special show up when I did my paypal transaction, didn't think to print it out - not that it would do any good probably.

Did we get screwed on the deal? I saw one post one eggxpert post refer to an invoice number cut off but didn't post what that number was.

I had the paypal 20% off special show up when I did my paypal transaction, didn't think to print it out - not that it would do any good probably.

what do you mean? sorry i've been away all day and didn't realize this thread got as big as it did. something went wrong?

what do you mean? sorry i've been away all day and didn't realize this thread got as big as it did. something went wrong?

Newegg boned a lot of people by cutting it off really early, apparently someone forgot to mention there were only limited rebates available when they sent out the ads. For a few hours after that they just refused to honor it but still had the ads up, then they retconned the ads to say it was ending today with no apology for their false ad. Other sites running the same promo (apparently Paypal-funded) had the good sense to note the limits on the offer, Newegg just said "good through 11/28." *shrug*

It is what it is at this point..."Newegg Webmaster" was showing as online at [H] for several hours while this was going down (maybe just picked a bad time to leave his comp logged in?) and last I saw the relevant thread on their own forum was going unanswered. Maybe there will be a response after they've had more time to think of a way to deal with the fallout.

I was literally in the middle of shopping for a quad, X38, and ddr3 when the website went down- I had two of the three items in my cart and was shopping for the third.

I've always bought from the egg, but after how they screwed people over yesterday I think I'll spend my thousand or so somewhere else today. Any recommendations on good sites to order from?

Paypal pulled the promotion, not Newegg. You're whining about the wrong thing.

One other thing to add: Fine print. It's there for a reason, and it covers their asses.

wow, this PayPal situation is really causing NewEgg a lot of grief.

I found this on NewEgg's own Eggxpert forum site:

A lot of people are confused, and disappointed.

Here is a thread where you can add your comments about the PayPal situation:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/211822/ShowThread.aspx#211822

Hmmm, in that thread they have the e-mail that Newegg sent out...

I can't help but wonder if those are snowflakes or "see terms and conditions" astericks in that e-mail...

Well I'm sure Newegg will be more prepared to manage discount specials in the future. The main problem was Newegg was still advertising the 20% discount with an expiration date of 11/28/07 after the funds ran out... and customers had no way of knowing funds ran out especially after seeing current advertising expiration date was still 11/28/07.
Ideally as soon as funds reach the last $1000 the advertising should change at all locations explaining the special has expired. Anyone receiving the last $1000 will feel blessed they somehow still received the discount.

Paypal pulled the promotion, not Newegg. You're whining about the wrong thing.

One other thing to add: Fine print. It's there for a reason, and it covers their asses.

Call paypal or buy from their other vendors.... the deal was still going on AFTER newegg pulled the plug.

I call shens on Newegg. :mad:

Can I use this Paypal thing on buy.com? Yes, I know, this is a Newegg thread but it just got me wondering.

About 65mins ago I received an email from Paypal advertising the 20% discount. I'm sure the deal is dead for most stores by now.

I think the real question is was this deal valid yesterday when most people ordered items from newegg or dell?

Here is the link direct to Paypal's site https://www.paypal-promo.com/holiday/slider/index.html, showing the participants in the 20% off deal. PayPal apparently divvied its Marketing funds up among different online vendors.

Note that Newegg is no longer included on the "slider" (they were on there yesterday). If you click the links, you are taken directly to the participanting website's page. Given the pages are active, by Paypals own rules, the offer is still available on those sites.

Back