New WD SN850 M.2, why?

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Got my shiney new WD SN850 500gb M.2 drive today. Was all happy and installed it and did a fresh, clean OS install along with all the bells. I bench it and I'm no where's near the 7K mark for reads.Not even 6k. Even lower for writes. I bought the dam thing because I was tired of Adata's SX8200P Fiasco shit. It's like 3 different drives and none of them are where they're supposed to be. Dafawk? I am not happy at all.

Drive is installed in #1 M.2 slot. Latest chipset drivers.

Attachments

• wd1.JPG
    wd1.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wd2.JPG
    wd2.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 0
  • wd3.JPG
    wd3.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 0

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Got my shiney new WD SN850 500gb M.2 drive today. Was all happy and installed it and did a fresh, clean OS install along with all the bells. I bench it and I'm no where's near the 7K mark for reads.Not even 6k. Even lower for writes. I bought the dam thing because I was tired of Adata's SX8200P Fiasco shit. It's like 3 different drives and none of them are where they're supposed to be. Dafawk? I am not happy at all.

Drive is installed in #1 M.2 slot. Latest chipset drivers.
try crystaldiskmark

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Fucking bullshit
write speed is correct there, specs say 4100. read is still low. firmware up to date? although i guess that wouldnt be the issue if its 3 drives like that... ummm... got another m.2 slot to try?

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
write speed is correct there, specs say 4100. read is still low. firmware up to date? although i guess that wouldnt be the issue if its 3 drives like that... ummm... got another m.2 slot to try?
I have the secondary slot below the video card. First slot runs straight off cpu. Secondary runs off chipset. How would I go about the firmware update? WD has it's own proggy?

Are you running it bare? Or do you have a heatsink on it? This particular drive runs a bit hot to begin with and it will throttle down if it gets too hot.

You should be seeing this according to a benchmark on the drive I looked up:

1620347198139.jpg

So your write performance looks good... but read is a bit low, which may be due to throttling.

Last edited:
Using Mobo's built in M.2 heatsinks.
Good contact? With a thermal pad? Did you remove the thermal pad’s backing?

I opted for a Sebrent Rocket Plus as reviews had it running quite a bit cooler than many of its competitors like the WD. Feel the heat sink cover when it is running. If it is hot to the touch, then you may need a spot fan to assist with the cooling... or use an aftermarket, beefier M.2 heastsink.

Last edited:

pendragon1

Fully [H]
I have the secondary slot below the video card. First slot runs straight off cpu. Secondary runs off chipset. How would I go about the firmware update? WD has it's own proggy?
worth a shot. yeah, most do. use their dashboard, theres supposed to be an update and not to scare you but i found this: https://tweakers.net/reviews/8434/9...oon-met-slag-om-de-arm-firmwareperikelen.html
hopefully an update sorts it out.
https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/DashboardSetup.exe

heat, as supercharged just suggested, was my next idea...
edit: but looks like you got that covered. could double check though, with hdtune, hwinfo or crystaldiskinfo...

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
worth a shot. yeah, most do. use their dashboard, theres supposed to be an update and not to scare you but i found this: https://tweakers.net/reviews/8434/9...oon-met-slag-om-de-arm-firmwareperikelen.html
hopefully an update sorts it out.
https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/DashboardSetup.exe

heat, as supercharged just suggested, was my next idea...
edit: but looks like you got that covered. could double check though, with hdtune, hwinfo or crystaldiskinfo...
Roger that. Will report back.

Ya, a firmware update would also be my next guess as to why it is underperforming. Also make sure you don’t have a funky MB BIOS setting set somewhere limiting or restricting PCIE to 3.0.

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Firmware is up-to-date according to WD Dashboard. No update available. If I'm missing something in the bios, I can't find it. Dashboard shows it's running in 4x mode.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Ya, a firmware update would also be my next guess as to why it is underperforming. Also make sure you don’t have a funky MB BIOS setting set somewhere limiting or restricting PCIE to 3.0.
shit forgot about the 3.0 vs 4.0 thing....

i think thats the newest firmware. whats that game mode?! what does its performance section say?

Firmware is up-to-date according to WD Dashboard. No update available. If I'm missing something in the bios, I can't find it. Dashboard shows it's running in 4x mode.
does it say 3 or 4 x4 though? thered be something in the bios, probably have to dig a bit...

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
shit forgot about the 3.0 vs 4.0 thing....

i think thats the newest firmware. whats that game mode?! what does its performance section say?

does it say 3 or 4 x4 though? thered be something in the bios, probably have to dig a bit...
Shows Gen 1-2-3-4. I have it set to 4 on both PCIE1 and Chipset. I can set it to AUTO as well

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
Welp, I cleared cmos and started from scratch. I just redid my clock speeds/voltages/c-states along with ram speeds/timings/voltages and left everything else on AUTO. Re-ran CDM.

Not 7k, but alot better:

Attachments

• wd4.JPG
    wd4.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 0

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Welp, I cleared cmos and started from scratch. I just redid my clock speeds/voltages/c-states along with ram speeds/timings/voltages and left everything else on AUTO. Re-ran CDM.

Not 7k, but alot better:
the thought had crossed my mind but i know how touchy some are about their OCs ;) thats much better, that 7100 is probably under some ideal condition type thing.

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
the thought had crossed my mind but i know how touchy some are about their OCs ;) thats much better, that 7100 is probably under some ideal condition type thing.
Yeah actually I don't give a shit about resetting my clocks. I'm so used to it during my benching days that's it's 2nd nature, lol. Takes a few minutes and bam, done. No big deal :D
I dunno, but I guess you're right about the 7100. I'll keep checking, but so far I'm not too pissed off about it. Still tho, I was expecting at least the 7k mark. Meh, whatcha gonna do right? It's the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the assist ;)

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Yeah actually I don't give a shit about resetting my clocks. I'm so used to it during my benching days that's it's 2nd nature, lol. Takes a few minutes and bam, done. No big deal :D
I dunno, but I guess you're right about the 7100. I'll keep checking, but so far I'm not too pissed off about it. Still tho, I was expecting at least the 7k mark. Meh, whatcha gonna do right? It's the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the assist ;)
no prob!

Shadowarez

Gawd
Here is my new Sabrent Rocket Plus 2TB and the 4TB after I forced Gen 4 Other is after I set my caching to use my ram to help reduce excessive writes. changing sector size didnt seem to do anything

Attachments

• Sabrent Cached 2.png
    Sabrent Cached 2.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Sabrent Cached.png
    Sabrent Cached.png
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • Rocket 2.png
    Rocket 2.png
    427 KB · Views: 0
  • Rockt 4.png
    Rockt 4.png
    438 KB · Views: 0
  • Rocket 4k.png
    Rocket 4k.png
    502.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Shadowarez

Gawd
there copper tape heatsinks are actually working very well i still wanna get that silly copper one they got on amazon. fare warning the back has a paper sticker that when removed nand has void written on it ><

Shadowarez

Gawd
but the price for 2TB and 4Tb are seriously eye watering lol i spent $1710 Cad ruppies on these 2 drives lol

Shadowarez

Gawd
no the crystal disk pics are when i used primocache and set aside 12gb of my ram for each drive to have a nice cache to reduce writes. they come with 2-4gb of onboard cache but i let them soak up 12gb each. i have 128gb in this rig to use.

vikingboy

n00b
no the crystal disk pics are when i used primocache and set aside 12gb of my ram for each drive to have a nice cache to reduce writes. they come with 2-4gb of onboard cache but i let them soak up 12gb each. i have 128gb in this rig to use.

Aren't you just benchmarking your RAM with that 12GB cache, and 1GiB test size?

Shadowarez

Gawd
why i included the other tests without it. the ram will help with writes the drives overtime.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I don't know that you're ever going to get full speed if you're running the test on a drive where you did your OS install. If you want to see the full speed, I'd think you'd have to check it while running it as a secondary drive.

SPARTAN VI

Supreme [H]ardness
I know it sounds a bit gimmicky at first glance, but try the "gaming mode" in the WD Dashboard. It disables the low power states and should improve responsiveness. Grats on the drive. 🍻

1620406964293.png

Nasgul

Weaksauce
The problem relies on your motherboard and CPU, not the drive, if the manufacturer says it can deliver the speeds it's advertising? Chances are they are correct.
There's a similar "thread" in the Corsair forum about this topic in particular. Turns out, it's not the drive.

Also, I don't like WD drives anymore, they cannot be cloned from an NVMe to NVMe, it's the main drive, meaning NVMe to SSD SATA only, it sucks
Reason why I went for Corsair's instead, their software allows for such kind of cloning. Had to return the two N750s I bought.

SPARTAN VI

Supreme [H]ardness
Also, I don't like WD drives anymore, they cannot be cloned from an NVMe to NVMe, it's the main drive, meaning NVMe to SSD SATA only, it sucks
Reason why I went for Corsair's instead, their software allows for such kind of cloning. Had to return the two N750s I bought.
Interesting. Did not know that, since I cloned my Crucial P1 (NVMe) to my SN850 over a USB-to-M.2 adapter.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
cloning nvme to nvme works fine but wd software might only support wd drives. so using another cloning tool will usually do it, they dont care what brands are connected.

Nebulous

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried using Macrium Reflect to clone my os from the Adata SX8200 to the SN850 and when I swapped them around, the rig would not boot into windows. None of the stupid clone softwares ever fucking work right. I have no idea why I keep doing that to myself. Did a clean reinstall instead. Took minutes and no problems.

Hey SPARTAN, I checked off that gaming mode switchy thingy. After a reboot it's overall quite zippy.

sk3tch

[H]ard|Gawd
I tried using Macrium Reflect to clone my os from the Adata SX8200 to the SN850 and when I swapped them around, the rig would not boot into windows. None of the stupid clone softwares ever fucking work right. I have no idea why I keep doing that to myself. Did a clean reinstall instead. Took minutes and no problems.

Hey SPARTAN, I checked off that gaming mode switchy thingy. After a reboot it's overall quite zippy.
Interesting. Macrium was the only one I could get working when going from my stock laptop SSD to my Samsung 980 Pro 500GB...ironically I bought a Sabrent NVME to USB 3.1 adapter to do it, lol. If I did it within the OS to another installed drive, it was wonky. Worked much better to do it to a USB one and then do the swap.

FYI - 9 times out of 10 Bitlocker may be the cause of some of the issues - so try disabling that (temporarily) prior to moving.
R39696d6f93f0be01725b2011bde7c07a.jpg

Last edited: