New to me node

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
I acquired the node through jebo_4jc in the DC FS/FT here- https://hardforum.com/threads/50-shipping-48-core-opteron-4p-rig.1994519/#post-1044569182

I got it Friday and just got it going tonight. I plan to put ~50% or more if I can to work for DC. I know it won't compete with some of the setups here, but it's something. jebo_4jc for the teaser. Thanks!

1587972248147.png

20200427_020632.jpg

20200426_225826.jpg

sorry for the bad potato pics

Last edited:
4 sexy sockets and heatsinks there!

Yeah, it is. Now to get a case to rack it!

Jebo is a good guy. You got a great deal!

Agreed! I didn't expect the mounting plate and whatnot... Actually, he was mentioning having to put something together and it didn't click until I opened the box lol

So far it's running. I got my VM moved over to the node. Hopefully, I can get some WU worth more points. Based on the PPD, it's only ~1500points higher than my previous 10core VM on L5638 xeon's
1588022328103.png

Last edited:
We need all the spare cores in the upcoming BOINC pentathlon ;)

Installed. :D I'll pop over to that thread for some info but looks like we have to wait to find out projects to work. I'm going to wait for folding to complete, then bump the cores up.

20200427_201210.jpg
I can't get a good pic of this. It does look pretty cool in the dark though.

20200427_200903.jpg

Last edited:
Pushed it with BOINC and F@H.. Was able to hit 58Ghz before it went offline :(
1588046700988.png

Good news and bad news.

Good news- The core system appears to still be good.
Bad news- It was the PSU that was pushed too far. It also means I dont' have a PSU to drive this system at full tilt :/

Last edited:
Pushed it with BOINC and F@H.. Was able to hit 58Ghz before it went offline :(
View attachment 240980

Good news and bad news.

Good news- The core system appears to still be good.
Bad news- It was the PSU that was pushed too far. It also means I dont' have a PSU to drive this system at full tilt :/

My systems crash when I run F@H. I had these exact CPU's in my board before I went for the 6378's for 64 cores. Both systems on a 1300w EVGA psu will crash on F@H. Most BOINC projects are fine, besides Rosetta. You should be ok in the pent.

My systems crash when I run F@H. I had these exact CPU's in my board before I went for the 6378's for 64 cores. Both systems on a 1300w EVGA psu will crash on F@H. Most BOINC projects are fine, besides Rosetta. You should be ok in the pent.

Yeah.. I wasn't running half that size. lol. I saw the 80W avg CPU power and 115W TDP on cpu-world and figured I'd be OK with a 650W since I was only running the CPUs, board, SSD, RAM and a few fans. I'm guessing due to the age of the PSU, it gave up (soft audible click when pressing pwr button). It was a BFGTech 650W (BFGR650PSU). I swapped it out with a Cooler Master 400W (RS-400-PSAR-I3) to test and it's currently back up and running with no load.

The 650 appears to be doing great when I was only pushing 50% of the CPUs.

I think this board supports those CPUs, that would be a nice little bump for not a lot of money. Something to consider once the PSU is replaced and I get some more ram.

Also, strange issue I've had with my g34 system, if it crashed and goes off, I have to unplug the PSU, power cycle the board to clear power in the PSU and THEN it will boot fine. Otherwise it just clicks like you are saying.

Might not fix your issue, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, strange issue I've had with my g34 system, if it crashed and goes off, I have to unplug the PSU, power cycle the board to clear power in the PSU and THEN it will boot fine. Otherwise it just clicks like you are saying.

Might not fix your issue, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I'll give it a try. I think I only unplugged power from the PSU and held the power button. I don't remember pulling psu from mobo then power button, is this what you mean? Either way, worth a shot as I don't have anything on hand that will work otherwise.

This is what I was referring to.

Well. dang.. I'll still give it another go but it's not looking good.

With your 1300W PSU, are you really putting that much load on it? What else are you running? I was looking at maybe an 800W PSU as a replacement but with getting shutdowns on 1300W, I'm wondering if that's enough.. I don't want to shoehorn something in either then be stuck later for upgrades (RAM, CPU, Disks).

Well. dang.. I'll still give it another go but it's not looking good.

With your 1300W PSU, are you really putting that much load on it? What else are you running? I was looking at maybe an 800W PSU as a replacement but with getting shutdowns on 1300W, I'm wondering if that's enough.. I don't want to shoehorn something in either then be stuck later for upgrades (RAM, CPU, Disks).

Oh, the 1300 is WAY over what I need. I would expect it's a hardware issue over anything else. Story I've heard is F@H is very taxing on your system.

Primegrid also gives me issues, but it's basically doing what prime95 does, to an extent with primes. I likely have a bad ram stick or something.

800w is more than enough.

I originally got th 1300 for real cheap on eBay. I have originally used it to power this system and video cards on a separate system.

Oh, the 1300 is WAY over what I need. I would expect it's a hardware issue over anything else. Story I've heard is F@H is very taxing on your system.

Primegrid also gives me issues, but it's basically doing what prime95 does, to an extent with primes. I likely have a bad ram stick or something.

800w is more than enough.
This is because PG runs the same type of work that Prime95 is running. They reserve blocks of numbers from them...

Nice! I was eyeing it too late. It would of looked good in my mining cabinet running WCG!

Nice! I was eyeing it too late. It would of looked good in my mining cabinet running WCG!

Sorry! Hopefully, I can make you proud :D
And I don't see any pictures in the "Pictures of your DC rigs". Why not?
I also assume you are going to [H]ard BOINC in a few days?

Sorry, It's late and this probably didn't come off as humorous as I intended.
Oh, and I plan to get a new kill-a-watt meter if you are still interested in power draw info (seen this in the fs post).

Sorry! Hopefully, I can make you proud :D
And I don't see any pictures in the "Pictures of your DC rigs". Why not?
I also assume you are going to [H]ard BOINC in a few days?

Sorry, It's late and this probably didn't come off as humorous as I intended.
Oh, and I plan to get a new kill-a-watt meter if you are still interested in power draw info (seen this in the fs post).
Oh yeah. I do not think I posted it in there. It's in the mining one. Its a basic 6ft tall, 30" wide and 16" deep cabinet setup with a filter, fans and a duct that takes the hot air into the attic. I will takes some new pics and post.

Small update. Finally got a proper PSU for this... EVGA 850 GQ
Specs all looked good; single 12v rail, 2x 8pin CPU and modular for all the crap I don't need.

Apparently it's DOA.. Not a fan whirr or even a click, no system led's...nada. I was so excited to get all the cores crunching. I was able to confirm the system is not the issue by connecting my janky 2 PSU setup to it and it booted right back up.

I jumpered the 24pin green/black and stuck a multi-meter on the 12v yellow/black and got nothing. I'll be calling and hopefully returning tomorrow. Hopefully they have another one of these in stock, otherwise it's Thermaltake 1000W.

*Update-
And like that ESXi is also corrupted.. soo I'm out of DC for now. need to reinstall and get the correct PSU.. hopefully tomorrow night I'll be going again

Last edited:
Update.

Wow, finally got a PSU. My stubbornness to support local business had me waiting. The store was waiting for EVGAs to come in and still haven't received them but they did get some Thermaltake 1200W so I picked one of those up AND IT'S ALIVE! I'm able to properly power the system! lol

Today, I was able to get ESXi reloaded onto it with a different SSD. Apparently the 32GB SSD also died, possibly from the PSU shenanigans. Currently, waiting for a VM to finish cloning so I can get the BOINCs installed again.. Sorry for missing all of the challenges :(

Since everyone is done with the challenges, is there anything that the bulk of the group are working on?
1590892249112.png

Well.. I'd say it's passing the burn-in test. Still crunching along. Can you tell where it started? lol If I remember correctly, the 2019 stuff was 10 cores of L5638 CPUs.
1591339423501.png

Back