New Silverstone FT02

I think your the person who had the RV02 with the bad temps. Well, your the only one I heard this from, so that's not an entirely true statement. Each system, part and builder is unique so there will be different results from person to person.

As for the case, it's much shorter than the 800D and has direct cooling which I need. But I would just appreciate an announcement atleast.

Seriously... Built a rig for a friend over the Summer in an RV02, and I was amazed (coming from my P180) at how much airflow there was. I don't really see how the case could be improved in that respect (granted, I've not worked in many 'high-end' cases).

I'm waiting for the FT02 (as good as it felt, the plastic on the RV02 bothered me a bit) and ATI's new video cards to build a new rig, so I do hope this thing is released soon :).

Will the FT02 come with a windowed side panel? If it doesn't, will the one from the RV02 fit?

I really like the airflow design of the RV02 but I don't really like the exterior. The FT02 is MUCH more to my tastes but I'd like a window.

Yes it comes with a windowed side panel and all black interior.

I heard somewhere it was pushed back to November? I'm dieing here waiting for the FT02. I'm about to press buy on the ATCS 840.. only I don't like its cooling design so I suppose I have to wait.

If the FT02 had one more PCI slot and was a fair bit taller.. I wouldn't have any major gripes about it.

May need more room for cards like the 5870x2 or future upgrades.
Being wider with an 8 PCI slot would probably help with the optical drives sticking out a bit to far.

I like the unibody design. The room on the bottom so I can place it on the carpet without to many worries. I'm not sure how well the positive pressure design works for cooling but I do like the wind tunnel going up with hot air rising. I like the cable management. Behind the mobo tray right to the drives... perfect... doesn't need to be fancy when hidden. I love how there are three simple pull out filters beneath the only intake fans and they are easy to get to. Not as easy as my old P180 to get to but it's positive pressure and should be cleaner and easier to remove than many other cases.

I've seen a 5870 barely fit in the thing so i'm kind of scared I won't be able to put my XFI in if I get a 2nd 5870 in crossfire.

Edit: I wonder how a 3x5.25 bay 120mm blowing in or out would be in here. It should still be positive air pressure even if its blowing out... Or if it was bringing air in it could push the air comming up from the Hardrive area over towards where the vents are. I'm not sure how well that would work but it sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Sounds like a question for Tony the Silverstone Rep:

"Will the ATI 5000 series fit in the FT02 without any problems?"

Sounds like a question for Tony the Silverstone Rep:

"Will the ATI 5000 series fit in the FT02 without any problems?"

I saw a picture with one in a rv02. So I imagine it will.

It was just about rubbing the 180's.

I talked to Tony in the other thread and he said November release.

So I skipped on the case and bought the CM Sniper. Right after that, the news came out on the length of the 5800 cards. Whew! I made the right choice because there is no chance that a 5870x2/GTX300x2 will fit in that case. With the single 5870, a rad on the bottom seems out of the question, and poor cooling of the cards is possible since they will act as a divider in the case.

The FT02 has to be revised and made 4" taller. Unless they already done it, this case should be pushed back until next year. The RV02 looks like it will not be compatible for future GPUs.

Wow thanks for that info!

Seems like we'll just have to wait for the release. Perhaps this issue is the main reason for the delay.
Who knows...

Just an fyi, I went with the RV02 (for now, I may switch to the FT02 if it looks good enough on release :} ) and a 5870, and it fits fine - although I'm not using water cooling. Everything in the case is cooled very well, even with the three bottom fans at 'low,' and the 5870 tops out at ~80C (or lower, depending on ambient, which is 75-80F) in Furmark - lower than many reviews had reported. Bottom line, I don't think this case has any problems cooling the card, although the .X2 may be different :).

Just an fyi, I went with the RV02 (for now, I may switch to the FT02 if it looks good enough on release :} ) and a 5870, and it fits fine - although I'm not using water cooling. Everything in the case is cooled very well, even with the three bottom fans at 'low,' and the 5870 tops out at ~80C (or lower, depending on ambient, which is 75-80F) in Furmark - lower than many reviews had reported. Bottom line, I don't think this case has any problems cooling the card, although the .X2 may be different :).

How much more space do you have between your 5870 and the bottom? The rumor of the 5870x2 is 11.5-12.5 inches.

A 12" card would probably touch the fans thus the dividing of air flow.

The FT02 has to be able to fit a 5870x2 and a radiator on the bottom to justify the $200+ asking price. If it does then I will reconsider.

Tony, did Silverstone recognize this issue?

That's why.... HAF 932/922 or Stacker 830 FTW!

And also modded Cosmos S. :D

To answer some of your questions regarding room for graphics cards in the RV02 and FT02. It was designed to fit cards as long as 12"

The reason we mentioned 10.5" in our literatures for many of our cases is that we were under the impression that neither GPU company will go over that length for consumer graphics cards. Apparently ATI has decided to break that unofficial rule, which is unfortunate, the actual PCB of 5870 is likely still only 10.5". The non-functional air vents with the plastic cover is responsible for making the card longer.

We are still waiting for confirmation from ATI regarding the length of 5870x2. Even if it is indeed 12" and touching the fan grille, you shouldn't need to worry about the airflow getting divided as the 180mm fan is bigger than the cards (plus there are three of them inside case).

I will give everyone update here as soon as I heard back from them!

To answer some of your questions regarding room for graphics cards in the RV02 and FT02. It was designed to fit cards as long as 12"

The reason we mentioned 10.5" in our literatures for many of our cases is that we were under the impression that neither GPU company will go over that length for consumer graphics cards. Apparently ATI has decided to break that unofficial rule, which is unfortunate, the actual PCB of 5870 is likely still only 10.5". The non-functional air vents with the plastic cover is responsible for making the card longer.

We are still waiting for confirmation from ATI regarding the length of 5870x2. Even if it is indeed 12" and touching the fan grille, you shouldn't need to worry about the airflow getting divided as the 180mm fan is bigger than the cards (plus there are three of them inside case).

OK good.

Damn it, my TJ09 is only like 6 months old. my GF is never gonna let me get this, especially when i sold my 4 month old stacker 830 to get my TJ09

Damn it, my TJ09 is only like 6 months old. my GF is never gonna let me get this, especially when i sold my 4 month old stacker 830 to get my TJ09

your GF is not gonna let you get this?! Jesus christ, man. I could maybe understand if it was your wife, but your GF? *facepalm*

Btw, this case looks like CRAP. Same crappy hard drive racks, midtower with not enough room, and the stupid motherboard gimmick. I had the FT01 before and HATED it. Silverstone quality is subpar. Don't even get me started on their paper-thin side panels.

I agree with teh side panels sucking i have to order a new one because lighlty stepped on it and it warped, and cracked on a bottom edge

I absolutely love this look. I like keeping everything neat and the top thing for the cords will be perfect for me! I probably can't buy this when it's released, but I'm posistive this is my next case!

Does anyone know where I can buy aluminum bezels for the 5.25 drives?

Silverstone REALLY needs to think about making these.. alot of people like a look that is consistent with the rest of their cases.

Well Silverstone had to put this case on hold due to the new GPUs being longer than 10.5"

Until the 5870x2 is released and Nvidia gives the dimensions of their GT300x2, this case will be on hold until then.But this case will be too long and tall just to show off the 90 degree motherboard. I wouldn't blame Silverstone if they just went back to the standard ATX design.

Well Silverstone had to put this case on hold due to the new GPUs being longer than 10.5"

Until the 5870x2 is released and Nvidia gives the dimensions of their GT300x2, this case will be on hold until then.But this case will be too long and tall just to show off the 90 degree motherboard. I wouldn't blame Silverstone if they just went back to the standard ATX design.

Where did you hear they put the case on hold due to the new GPU's being longer? I thought they weren't going to change it even if the ATI 5870x2 was longer or the GT300 was longer.

It won't be to long and tall for me. It's depth does not matter to me as I have my case on the floor next to my big desk. I also would not mind it if it was much taller too. It's not just to show off the 90 degree motherboard. It's for cooling and I like it. I'm going to wait for it. I am getting antsy though. I will buy it as soon as it's out.

Edit: Of course they will continue to make the standard case designs. I for one love this new one and would like to see more.

The FT02 looks fantastic. It does not have feet on the bottom that would sink into a thicker carpet. The front panel wraps around to the back it seems.. unibody construction making it so It can press that carpet down and not ruin airflow to the bottom fans. Which is nice since i'll have it on the carpet. It is a positive pressure design so i'll have less dust concerns. It has filters on the 180 intakes on the bottom that look to be pretty easy to remove and clean. It should keep the PC quiet with the slower large 180mm's and sound deadening material on the inside. The hard drives look easy to remove... There is great cable management behind the mobo. The tray is cutout for removing CPU coolers... etc. The PSU intake is on the side so it can get cool air and exhaust it out the top and it has a filter. Just about everything in the case looks like it will get good airflow and exhaust hot air out the way hot air wants to go. ;) It's almost perfect for me. I must wait for this.. because nothing seems to even come close... except the RV02 which I don't like the plastic,blue light, hard drive cage, or feet that would sink into the carpet... The only thing i'd worry about on the FT02 ... is flimsy side panels that could rattle.

Last edited:
Yeah - source? Last I heard, mid October, but that date seems to be slipping away...

I already spoke to Tony the Silverstone Rep, about this. He said that they are disappointed that ATI decided to make cards longer than 10.5". They kind of broke their promise to case manufacturers. Then he said that since an announcement hasn't been made a November release may happen, but they are waiting for ATI to release the dimensions of the 5870x2 first. True story!

If the card touches or is very close to the fan grilles, internal water-cooling in this case will not be possible. That's why I said that it would be a good idea to make the case taller.
Sorry, I don't have release date yet so this is not good news. We are very likely looking at November availability now.

It's very important that Silverstone can support every card on the market. Releasing a case that can't fit consumer level hardware would be useless IMO. The 5870 will fit, but hopefully the 5870x2 will fit also.

Last edited:
No where in that post did Tony say they were waiting for the confirmation to decide what to do with the case. I imagine ... since he didn't say ... that they are waiting on the confirmation to be able to tell people weather or not it will fit. Not waiting on it to make the case taller.

This case seems to be made for great air cooling plain and simple. Thats why it's designed the way it is. If you want water cooling there are bigger better options. Who looks at this case with the mobo tilted because heat rises... and 180mm's on the bottom getting great airflow to everything ... and then says I should water cool that... lol really... Water cooling shouldn't even be in the list of concerns with this case. IMO

Oh and they didn't break a promise to case manufactures, as they never made one. As tony says, they assumed they wouldn't make them any bigger... bad assumption.

Yea I would like it a bit taller though.

The only reason why I said the the case was on hold is because Silverstone was waiting to get the final dimension of the GPUs. The change of dimensions was a suggestion. If they turn the case into a true full tower, they can fit any card, any hardware. The FT02 is shorter then my CM Sniper which is a mid-tower. If Silverstone market the FT02 as a mid-tower, then the dimensions can stay the same. I remember that the Voodoo Omen had full tower dimensions with the same 90 degree motherboard rotation.

I've seen a few people water-cool this case out of the box. It was a concern to them. In the current market, no one likes a $200+ case that is only good at one cooling solution.

Hello. I am new on these forums and I really like the look of the FT02 and RV02. I am wondering if the aerials for my wireless card will be able to fit in this case and, if so, still provide good signal.

Thanks for you help.:)

FYI for people interested this is from silverstone us tech support.

yes the ETA is change to end of November.

Thank You

Joel
www.SilverStonetek.com
13626 Monte Vista Ave Unit, A
Chino, CA 91710
909-465-9596 Tel
909-465-9569 Fax
----- Original Message -----
To: usasales
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: Question about FM181

Hi,

Do you all have an update on when the ft-02 will be available?

Thanks,

Trying to decide between the Silverstone Fortress 2, the Silverstone TJ10 and the Corsair 800D...

I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the Fortress FT02, or go with the Raven RV02. I like the look of both, and they're similar otherwise...

I was thinking of the RV02, but I decided that in the end the FT02 would have better stiffness and feel to it than the abit nice plastic. More better hardrive bays make it a clear choice for me between those two.

End of november seems like an eternity away, considering that the original ETA was mid-october, WHICH IS NOW :(

RV02 or six more weeks?

They also sent me this.. so it looks like they are not changing the case to support the 5870x2.

Hi,

FT02 will support video cards up to 12 inches long.

Thank You

Joel
www.SilverStonetek.com
13626 Monte Vista Ave Unit, A
Chino, CA 91710
909-465-9596 Tel
909-465-9569 Fax
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Question about FM181

Did they do anything to compensate for the larger new ati cards.

so is this still coming out late november?

Yes

still thinking the fans are hard to buy aftermarket on this

We provide aftermarket 180mm fans for purchase, they are available to purchase at:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=327&zenid=a354488bd26cc21010af880088ab22c7
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s1040/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-180mm_x_32mm_Fans-Page1.html
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=silverstone+180mm+fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090573%201372745217&name=180mm

The 180mm fan brackets in the FT02, FT01, and RV02 also have mounting holes for 120mm fans so you are not limited to only 180mm fans.
180mm_bracket.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They also sent me this.. so it looks like they are not changing the case to support the 5870x2.

The 5870x2 is longer than 12" ? I thought it was more like 11.5"

12" is Workstation size cards... I didn't think they'd go bigger then that...

It's also strange for the price of the case they wouldn't already be putting in the best 180mm available... instead of having $20-$30 fan's you can buy 3 of to replace the current ones with... I assume the silent $20 ones are the same as what are already included, and you'd pay more for the faster one... that's still... $90 to replace all those fans... I paid that much for 6-7 Scythe S-flex fans which are arguably the best 120mm fan's you can get.

The 5870x2 is longer than 12" ? I thought it was more like 11.5"

12" is Workstation size cards... I didn't think they'd go bigger then that...

It's also strange for the price of the case they wouldn't already be putting in the best 180mm available... instead of having $20-$30 fan's you can buy 3 of to replace the current ones with... I assume the silent $20 ones are the same as what are already included, and you'd pay more for the faster one... that's still... $90 to replace all those fans... I paid that much for 6-7 Scythe S-flex fans which are arguably the best 120mm fan's you can get.

The first set of rumors said the 5870x2 would be 12.5"

The new dual gpu cards by ati specs are listed here..

"The card itself is 13.5 inches long,"

This means this case will NOT fit those cards.

Back