New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

The H50 would be sick if it was 50 bucks max, it has the potential to be quieter and it still does good. And more room for a big heatsink on the nb. But that might just be me.

I like the H50.

I bought from from Best Buy when it was on sale for $59, thanks to a pointer on this forum. Then 2 weeks after I saw that it was on sale at Fry's for $55. A few days before Thanksgiving I though I saw a Fry's ad for $49, and it caught my eyes immediately because I do like this cooler.

The quality control issue from a plant in the US is a little upsetting. You'd expect this from China but not the US. This is nothing against the case design or Lan Gear...just whatever manufacturer they use.

Perhaps they should have been made in Japan or Germany based on the reputation of cars as well.

Heh, things made in China... are the good and the bad. Same goes for the Made in America as well.

Perhaps they should have been made in Japan or Germany based on the reputation of cars as well.

Heh, things made in China... are the good and the bad. Same goes for the Made in America as well.
Yeah but you aren't going to get jobs back in the US by making inferior products for higher prices.

Yeah but you aren't going to get jobs back in the US by making inferior products for higher prices.

That's why many jobs are going over seas. Get the same quality for much cheaper labor. If American workers cant up the quality why bother paying them the higher pay they so often demand? In many respects we Americans have become complacent and soft. Its hurting us. :(

Anyway, its great you guys are giving Matt this info about the power supply extension. He can use it to get it dealt with properly. :)

That's why many jobs are going over seas. Get the same quality for much cheaper labor. If American workers cant up the quality why bother paying them the higher pay they so often demand? In many respects we Americans have become complacent and soft. Its hurting us. :(

Anyway, its great you guys are giving Matt this info about the power supply extension. He can use it to get it dealt with properly. :)

I hope so I'd like to get this case buttoned up and finished.

These things happen. Back a few years ago the Qmicra came out and it was extremely innovative but a few oversights plus a few advances in technology caused the need for a Qmicra 2. Now it is a fairly popular computer case.

These things happen. Back a few years ago the Qmicra came out and it was extremely innovative but a few oversights plus a few advances in technology caused the need for a Qmicra 2. Now it is a fairly popular computer case.

True, Dave had some problems in the beginning too but he overcame them and has a good business growing. I think Matt can overcome them too if he keeps at it. :)

True, Dave had some problems in the beginning too but he overcame them and has a good business growing. I think Matt can overcome them too if he keeps at it. :)
Granted most of them were not Quality Control related :p

It's my impression that the front fascia of the optical drive has to be removes from the drive to mount in this case. Does anyone know a drive that this isn't too painful of a process? I plan to use Windows 7 for my OS and would prefer a Sata drive. Thanks

It's my impression that the front fascia of the optical drive has to be removes from the drive to mount in this case. Does anyone know a drive that this isn't too painful of a process? I plan to use Windows 7 for my OS and would prefer a Sata drive. Thanks

Eject the drive tray, then turn the drive over so that you're looking at the bottom. There's usually a locking tab in the center of the front of the drive tray faceplate. you just need to release the tab by pulling on it, and then the faceplate will slide up and off of the top of the drive tray. You then affix the case's 5.25" optical drive piece with the included double sided tape. Most any optical drive has a way to remove the front facia that's ont he end of the drive tray.

Hi everybody,

I just want to keep you updated on our progress. We are going to send every single one of you who have received a DA BOX the following:
- 1 new front bezel cover.
- 1 new HDD cage.
- 1 new power cord.
Please, keep in mind that it will take some time to have them made. But I will make sure that everybody is satisfied. I guess we'll have to call this a beta test!:p With free upgrades.

Hi Steve,
They are working on it.
For their defense, keep in mind we asked the plant to produce 150 cases in less than 2 weeks. And this was the first run, where you always have some issues coming up.
I'm positive that they will shape up quickly and get the production going smoothly with all the small issues resolved in the near future.
They want to keep the job here in the US and will do everything they can to make it happen.
Lan Gear wants to provide quality, so we'll do anything it will take to make it happen!;)

Hi Steve,
They are working on it.
For their defense, keep in mind we asked the plant to produce 150 cases in less than 2 weeks. And this was the first run, where you always have some issues coming up.
I'm positive that they will shape up quickly and get the production going smoothly with all the small issues resolved in the near future.
They want to keep the job here in the US and will do everything they can to make it happen.
Lan Gear wants to provide quality, so we'll do anything it will take to make it happen!;)
Still a bad time to make mistakes...the economy still stinks!

I didn't remove mine, but I'm sure it will be dependant upon the CD/DVD-ROM.

huh... why are we getting new HDD cages?
Look at my second set of pics, first link in the post. Issue with the one of the tabs when installing two 3.5" HDDs.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035106534&postcount=957

Last edited:
As far as errors, we are humans, so there might me a few small issues coming up. Make sure to document it and post it on the forum or even better, send them directly to us.
Of course, we will do our best to replace every part that is concerned. So no worries.
For the HDD cage, we would also like to test different anti vibration foams. And we will do this with this new part one. The tab is an issue, but we'd like to improve where we can.
Our objective is still to have the best possible customer service. Although we haven't provided the smooth launch we were shooting for.

Otherwise, I welcome pictures of any configuration you have already mounted. I want to see these big heatsinks and water cooling setup!:D

As far as errors, we are humans, so there might me a few small issues coming up. Make sure to document it and post it on the forum or even better, send them directly to us.
Of course, we will do our best to replace every part that is concerned. So no worries.
For the HDD cage, we would also like to test different anti vibration foams. And we will do this with this new part one. The tab is an issue, but we'd like to improve where we can.
Our objective is still to have the best possible customer service. Although we haven't provided the smooth launch we were shooting for.

Otherwise, I welcome pictures of any configuration you have already mounted. I want to see these big heatsinks and water cooling setup!:D

I think you are providing great service at this point. New company & new launches are always going to be rough.

I would suggest designing a HD cage that only accomodates say 1x 3.5" and 2x 2.5", or just 2x 2.5" or 1x 3.5" as an option for those who are using high profile memory or memory cooling devices.

I think you are providing great service at this point. New company & new launches are always going to be rough.

I would suggest designing a HD cage that only accomodates say 1x 3.5" and 2x 2.5", or just 2x 2.5" or 1x 3.5" as an option for those who are using high profile memory or memory cooling devices.

Actually, for very high end memory module (the very tall ones and fans mounted on top), the case was designed so that you could entirely remove the HDD cage and mount 2 2.5" hard drive under the CD drive bay. So unless you need 4 x 2.5" drive, you can make it work the way it is. But we are of course looking at different possibilities. The tricks is to make it fit.:p

Actually, for very high end memory module (the very tall ones and fans mounted on top), the case was designed so that you could entirely remove the HDD cage and mount 2 2.5" hard drive under the CD drive bay. So unless you need 4 x 2.5" drive, you can make it work the way it is. But we are of course looking at different possibilities. The tricks is to make it fit.:p

NEED MOAR SSDs, PLEEZ :D

I will try and post up my experiences with the case, but I just wanted to mention something for anyone planning on a P55 build. The CPU socket is much closer to the PCI express slot on 1156 boards, so the heat sink clearance is different than on a 775 or 1366 board. I was foolish enough to try and stuff a Noctua DH14 in my case. I had to pull out the bracket for the GPU fan to get the Noctua to fit. Doing this basically renders the motherboard tray non-removable in my situation.

750394973_xw3F2-XL.jpg

750394653_hh3Hp-XL-2.jpg

I am going to try and swap out the heat sink for a different heat sink so I can reinstall the GPU fan. The case sits on my desk only a few feet from my head, and I am trying to make it as quiet as possible. I am going to take some measurements and see if it will fit, but I am considering the following options below. I am also trying to configure the case so that it is positive pressure, as I really don't want to have to deal with cleaning out dust the interior on a regular basis. I will take measurements when I pull the current heat sink out, but these are what I am considering:
Noctua:
http://drewlander42.smugmug.com/Computers/Computer-Stuff/NoctuaNHC12P9/750429604_ZZLsw-O.jpg
nh_c12p_measurements.jpg

Or the Noise Limit SilentFlux (provided I can find one)
750432462_snq7f-O.jpg

Oh yea, my PSU extension cable died on me after about a day. For me, the only real disappointment for me was the gaps on the front face plate. I will probably send this case out to get a custom paint job, but so far I am really pleased. My Blu-Ray drive wouldn't fit, due to the heat sink being so large. So, right now, I have a fan controller installed in that bay, but once I get the heat sink issue worked out, I am hoping to mount the fan controller to one of the 2.5 hard drive trays in the lower hard drive tray. I will be sure to post some better pictures and some more feedback on the case as my build is going to be a bit of a work in progress.

Wow, I didn't expect any less. But yes, with the socket 1156, and huge heatsinks, we would have to modify the MB tray so that the entire back of the case comes out. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just a modification. Let me know what you think of that.
I'm curious to see how your heatsink would fit with a 1366 board. 10mm on the right, closer to the side fan and everything would be a perfect (tight) fit.

For the fan over the GPU, what do you think about a bracket that would accept both 120mm and 92mm fans? That could allow for extra clearance and make it work in this specific build.... maybe.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I just want to keep you updated on our progress. We are going to send every single one of you who have received a DA BOX the following:
- 1 new front bezel cover.
- 1 new HDD cage.
- 1 new power cord.
Please, keep in mind that it will take some time to have them made. But I will make sure that everybody is satisfied. I guess we'll have to call this a beta test!:p With free upgrades.

How about a motherboard tray? I think that is one of more pressing issues since as it is, it requires modding immediately (or padding the standoff with something conductive and having a motherboard that is slightly bent.

I might sound like a masochist, but I've kind of enjoyed this process so far. Finding these issues and providing input to hopefully help create a better product for future users.

How about a motherboard tray? I think that is one of more pressing issues since as it is, it requires modding immediately (or padding the standoff with something conductive and having a motherboard that is slightly bent.
.... yes, it is also a possibility... that I would like to avoid;). The motherboard tray is very expensive to make. But maybe we can provide a plastic insert that goes into the standoff to prevent any further problem and still be compatible with motherboard tray that uses it (such as the DFI Lanparty). What do you think of that option?;)
I might sound like a masochist, but I've kind of enjoyed this process so far. Finding these issues and providing input to hopefully help create a better product for future users.
But this is the best part. The Beta test!:D

I will do everything I can to make sure that all these small defects are corrected in the future. We are already working on it and we'll send replacement parts whenever we can.

...crickets chirping...

I have enjoyed the build process. The time to assemble was longer than I thought, but even for the small details that currently show the lack of refinement in the product (not finding fault, here), like the optical drive area, I like the challenge. I get to choose how to solve the problem, and that gives me something to do.

Half of getting to the destination is the trip you took to get there. The other half is why. So far, I'm not yelling "WHY GOD, WHY!?" So that's a good thing, in my book.

Matt has so far been very responsive to the issues posted here in the thread, and to e-mails as well. I can assure those of you on the fence, this guys is bending over backwards to get the issues that were found resolved. Lan Gear is obviously very interested in meeting their customers expectations, and their own (like the QC issues). So far, I have yet to be disappointed, at all. Hey, there's some hiccups. I can't complain, given that I am one of the early adopters who jumped in on the first chassis from a brand new company. This case fits a need for me, and with a few tweaks here and there, I think it will fit a lot of people's needs in a mATX chassis.

I wish I had the funds to really go nuts with this thing: Core i7, 24GB RAM, 8x Vertex SSDs in RAID-0 using 2-in-1 2.5": to 3.5" adapters, a fan controller, a Swiftech WS loop that includes the GPUs, and Dual 5850's or 5870s... alas, my funds are far short of this...and I' not selling my Sammy 55" LED to fund it, either (UN55B6000). Undoubtedly, others here on [H] will grab hold of this over the next few months and do things with it that will make all of us jealous.

How many of us have this chassis now? I'd guess about 7-10?

I've been pleased yet unsurprised by how Mattinev is handling the issues. I wish I could post pics of my setup, but I'm in the process of moving and don't have the time. Once I'm moved I'll post pics and maybe I'll attempt water cooling or maybe do a mockup of a radiator.

Matt-

If I might make a suggestion when it comes to the "manual"
your putting together, for the rest of us future buyers.

Post it as a PDF here, and then allow the beta test pioneers
to tweek it with there hands on build experience. Since there
are variations in hardware, this may help users to avoid
surprises, or costly case part fixes.

While I know a lot of people, dont need one, they just wing it,
I'm a detail nerd, that likes things in writing for reference.

As a systems person myself, I find documentation important.

Can I post a word documents that everybody can edit then maybe?
I could post the original basic manual and we can all add to it.
Right now, I'm working on tweaking DA BOX so i'm spending most of my time with suppliers and CAD drawings. But this week end, I'll spend more time on the new manual.
Do you think we should post a very detailed one on the website?
I want to be listed in the manuals copyright, then
Yes, you can be listed in the copyrights.:)

You're going to run into version control issues very quickly, unless you initiate a check in / check out methodology on this.

Can I post a word documents that everybody can edit then maybe?
I could post the original basic manual and we can all add to it.
Right now, I'm working on tweaking DA BOX so i'm spending most of my time with suppliers and CAD drawings. But this week end, I'll spend more time on the new manual.
Do you think we should post a very detailed one on the website?
Yes, you can be listed in the copyrights.:)
Oh, can I be listed as well?:p
I think a on-line manual or PDF on a CD would be the way to go.

You're going to run into version control issues very quickly, unless you initiate a check in / check out methodology on this.

Yeah, too many cooks in the kitchen.

dont know, haven't used google. i know Alfresco works for things like this.

Back