New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinv

Limp Gawd
Hi Everybody,

After more than 3 months of waiting, I finally got the first pictures of our mini ITX case.
I promised something special, so I hope you will really enjoy what to see.
The objective with this case is to satisfy the ones that are looking for the smallest gaming rig, based on a mini ITX board. It is compatible with standard size (160mm long) ATX PSU, tall heatsinks (I unfortunately could not fit the XIGMATEK HDT-S1284, it is a bit too tall but I'm going to try some shorter ones), extra long graphic cards (think ATI 5970), and in the retail version, the H50 cooler. As far as volume goes, it's about the size of the SG05 (not as high but a bit longer to accommodate long video cards).
Like Da Box, it is made of 100% high quality aluminum. It is extremely light and even a fully loaded case can easily be carried in one hand. The outside shell and the main chassis are 2mm thick. The internal parts are 1/16 and 1mm.
For this first prototype, we opted for a glossy finish. In the next prototype, we'll present some anodized versions.
Design: Simple meets elegant. Bi color as an option. Probably all black when it starts depending of what you like. The rounded edges will have a bigger radius in the final version but we were limited by the tooling in this first stage.
Cooling: we only mounted the 2 x 120mm fan in the prototype. It is possible to mount 2 x 80mm fans in the back. But as it is, the case is fairly cool. The 120mm fan behind the power supply has some clearance (1/4"). The power supply holder is perforated in the bottom to help cool the HDDs (1 x 3.5" + 2 x 2.5").
Video card: 4850 in this prototype. Would have mounted a 5970 if I had one on hand!
Power supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W (cheap but the worst modular power supply because it has this annoying cables extension on the back).

Here are some specs:

Type Mini ATX desktop
Case Material 2mm Aluminium Chassis, 2mm Aluminium Cover
Power Support Full ATX (Not included)
Motherboard Compatiblity Mini ITX
Side Panel Window none
External slim bay 1
Internal 3.5" Drive Bays 1
Internal 2.5" Drive Bays 2
Expansion Slots 2
120mm Fans 2 x 120mm side Fans (See Model Description)
92 mm Fans 2 x 80mm rear fans
Dimensions 11.85" (L) x 9.29" (W) x 5.97" (H)
Weight 5 lbs
Available color Black (glossy paint)
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year

Here are the first pictures:

pres.jpg

front.jpg
back.jpg

inside.jpg
inside2.jpg

vueventilos_rd.jpg
vuearriere_rd.jpg

vuecoteCG_rd.jpg
VueH50_rd.png

There are a few more to come. And you'll find a lot more details tomorrow on Steve's website: http://www.sffclub.com/
We'll have some more pictures of the mess inside coming soon.

Let's hear what you have to say!:D

Last edited:
Truly interesting little case you have here Matt. I realize it's a prototype, but I like what I'm seeing. For me, the slightly rounded features(especially at the bottom) and the clean front really stand out. Reminds me of a cross between a Psile and an OriginAE M10. Both classy cases in their own right...but you're sure not stuffing a 5750+ in either one.

Appreciate you getting the pictures up tonight. I stayed up just in case...;)

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly interesting here Matt. I realize it's a prototype, but I like what I'm seeing here. For me, the slightly rounded features(especially at the bottom) and the clean front really stand out.

Looking forward to seeing this in black anodized aluminum.

Appreciate you getting the pictures up tonight. I stayed up just in case...;)

Best,

Liquid Cool

Hi Liquid Cool,

Thank you for the comment.
The edges are supposed to be more rounded (the "production" radius are about 0.5") BUT it is a prototype and we had use the tools we have at our disposition (these radius are about half what they are suppose to be...). We will definitively improve the look but we are focusing on the functionalities.
Right now, I'm studying the position of the 120mm fan for the H50.
I also want to see if we can make a separate removable grid for the side with the 2x 120mm fans because it was design for modder to be able to fit a 240mm+ watercooling heatsink.

Last edited:
Looks good!

Does the PSU overlap the CPU cooler at all?
Right now, the PSU overlap the CPU cooler 1/8". A tower CPU cooler would fit fine. The Intel cooler is wide. I'm going to get a different cooler and post some more pic.
In the retail version, it will NOT overlap. We'll just extend the case 1/4" to make sure.
But you might want to install a shorter PSU. I have a non modular 750W PSU that is 5.9" long, and would fit there perfectly (Fortron). I'm using it in another build so I'm not in hurry to put it in this one.

Last edited:
Right now, the PSU overlap the CPU cooler 1/8". A tower CPU cooler would fit fine. The Intel cooler is wide. I'm going to get a different cooler and post some more pic.
In the retail version, it will NOT overlap. We'll just extend the case 1/4" to make sure.
But you might want to install a shorter PSU. I have a non modular 750W PSU that is 5.9" long, and would fit there perfectly (Fortron). I'm using it in another build so I'm not in hurry to put it in this one.

Looks good. The CoolerMaster GeminII S will be an important cooler to test with the design, as it's probably the best performing cooler that will fit this case.

Another question is: what are the chances of a slot-load version? Matching bezel perhaps?

Looks good. The CoolerMaster GeminII S will be an important cooler to test with the design, as it's probably the best performing cooler that will fit this case.

Another question is: what are the chances of a slot-load version? Matching bezel perhaps?

We'll have to give it a try. The height is the main restriction.
Slot load: yes, very possible. In the work. What would you guys prefer?

We'll have to give it a try. The height is the main restriction.
Slot load: yes, very possible. In the work. What would you guys prefer?

Can't say I can see anything else that doesn't look great! Slot-load slim DVD drives are fewer in number, but much classier. I think it would create a much cleaner, classier looking face.

Also wouldn't hate to see 1/4" drilled fan holes to allow rubber grommets to minimize vibration a la Lian Li.

Just my opinion. :)

If I understand correctly, the HDs and optical drive are in fact under the PSU in the front? Interesting! Heat sinks certainly shouldn't be a problem if the 150mm clearance holds true.

As far as the looks, it does look quite nice with the rounded edges, though the low placement of the optical drive takes some getting used to at first. I notice the top/side thingie being a different color. Are you perhaps planning on offering two-color variants also, or just single-color? I'd prefer all-black as usual for my own tastes, but it could prove an interesting option for some.

Definitely interested in seeing more :p

Front could use some color, but that looks like about the best you can do with a mITX case! Is that the power button on top? I would move it up front. I realize this is just a proto, though...

Agree that slot load would look good. Would be good to see the tower cooler in it that you mentioned, for comparison.

Alternatively, you could put the PSU on the back and fans on the front, so you would have a full front to back exhaust system. Would pull heat right off the CPU and make routing the power wires easier to the vid card. Major downside is you for sure rule out any tower cooler.

I like how you guys cramped up the parts in a compact case, I love it!

Just a question on the PSU, there are no vents for it to breathe or take out hot air? Or should I say the 2 x 120mm fans will take care of it?

sleepeeg3, I'd say the whole idea is having the PSU where it is now. Having it in the back would mean it's pretty much like SG05 is at the moment. Being able to have big coolers is one of the main advantages of this case compared to the competition. Stick an ATX PSU on the back, and you'll only be able to fit very short coolers - a major annoyance if there ever was one. So yeah, essentially you are describing the SG05 but with an ATX instead of SFX PSU. As far as colors go, I prefer single-color cases myself, and the power button... well, that's a non-issue either way for me personally.

What I'm curious about is if this case has access to the back of the motherboard properly while mounted in the case. This feature is something I really wished both the SG06 and SG03 had, but sadly don't.

I would prefer slot load as if you don't use an optical drive, it will look clean without as well. Not to mention not having to cut out the bezel pieces.

Nice layout. Looks promising.

So....how do we sign up for the beta? or are the chosen ones already chosen? My only concern with the design is the PSU exhaust. As of right now in the prototype, the hot exhaust hits the front of the case and looks like it can go anywhere. Unless I'm wrong and it's blocked off on the top and bottom and the only air path is toward the 120mm fan? I guess as long as their's ample cooling and/or you use a very high efficiency PSU it wont be as much of an issue.

edit: also, matt, are those dimensions final? You mention an additional 1/4'' in length, but height and width seem final? Wouldn't want to add too much, as the idea is small as possible. Based on your height dimension, I found the Xigmatek HDT-SD964, seems like it should fit at only 133mm height.

Last edited:
So....how do we sign up for the beta?
Beta-testing something like this would certainly be awesome. But little chance of that happening I'm afraid :(

The thought of setting up a nice little Core i3+HD5770 or similar into one of these makes me all [H]ard... :D

Beta-testing something like this would certainly be awesome. But little chance of that happening I'm afraid :(

The thought of setting up a nice little Core i3+HD5770 or similar into one of these makes me all [H]ard... :D

He's mentioned something about beta samples, but it was never clear.

And yea, I've got an HD5770, but I'd like to upgrade to something better, 5870 or maybe someday a 5970, and toss it in this box...amazing little powerhouse it would be. With a 4ghz c2q, it'd be even more ridiculous.

Keep checking with SFFClub.com around 5-6pm EST today for some more pictures. I didn't get a chance to post them this morning. You get the basic idea from these pictures though :)

Will there be pictures of the drive cage?
Yeah, and if Matt sends them to my other email I can post them now...I just don't have access to my SFFClub email at work. I've seen it though...pretty cool :)

It appears something like a GeminII S will work fine with the stock PSU

power supply exhaust was and is still a concern to me as i dont know how that will work with this design. also the side fan thats almost blocked by the powersupply. have you thought of useing a sfx powersupply instead?

its a nice case especially for size of heatsink you can use .

Jen

power supply exhaust was and is still a concern to me as i dont know how that will work with this design. also the side fan thats almost blocked by the powersupply. have you thought of useing a sfx powersupply instead?

Jen

Jen, the whole point is to be able to use an ATX PSU. I am curious if it would be possible to change the orientation of the power supply, but you probably couldn't do that without running into the issue of the cables hitting the video card, or widening the case, which we don't want to do.

The side fan should still be able to generate pressure, it's just going to be slightly impeded vs the other 120mm fan.

oh .. well .. as PSU appears to be partially hanging over the mobo, the ability to use tall/standing HSFs may actually turn into INability depending on where the CPU socket is located on the mobo (looks like this would be a concern for Zotac H55 and DFI P55 boards) ... so, Corsair H50 for those, I guess (as some air coolers will interfere with the graphics card on those mobos anyway)

sleepeeg3, I'd say the whole idea is having the PSU where it is now. Having it in the back would mean it's pretty much like SG05 is at the moment. Being able to have big coolers is one of the main advantages of this case compared to the competition. Stick an ATX PSU on the back, and you'll only be able to fit very short coolers - a major annoyance if there ever was one. So yeah, essentially you are describing the SG05 but with an ATX instead of SFX PSU. As far as colors go, I prefer single-color cases myself, and the power button... well, that's a non-issue either way for me personally.

What I'm curious about is if this case has access to the back of the motherboard properly while mounted in the case. This feature is something I really wished both the SG06 and SG03 had, but sadly don't.

Yes, like you say, the reason we do not have the PSU in the back is to allow for taller coolers.
NOTE: the PSU exhaust it's warm air on the top of the case. On the pictures I have posted, it is not visible (or not well - you might be able to distinguish a series of holes on the front/top of the case, second picture).
For the color, we will try to have a wide variety of colors: All black, black and white, red and white, all white, all red, etc... + cutoms.
Right now, the back is a bit hard to reach, but you can remove the PSU holder so easily that it will not be a problem.

Jen
Jen,

I asked about this Matt and will get back to you. Basically I asked if it made a difference with the PSU on the back or in the front since the CPU is covered anyway. I would suspect the answer would be related to the fan placements but I dunno.

Steve

Jen,

I asked about this Matt and will get back to you. Basically I asked if it made a difference with the PSU on the back or in the front since the CPU is covered anyway. I would suspect the answer would be related to the fan placements but I dunno.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I sent you a bunch of pictures. To your gmail address. So I encourage everybody to go check out his website for a quick preview.
For the PSU, we did not put it on top of the CPU because we want you to be able to fit tall heatsink (I will report later what the limitation is). In the retail version, a 160mm PSU will no overlap at all on the CPU heatsink. Right now, the overlap is less than 1/4" and can be easily fixed.
Please, keep in mind there are some nice, short PSU out there that are less than 160mm long and provide more than enough power (think 500W) for a mini ITX set up.;)
For the prototype, I fitted a 160mm PSU to show the capabilities of the case.
Since people have asked, we are trying for retail of: $139-$145max. It depends of what will be available and what finish we end up with (glossy and anodizing are a bit spendy).

You beat me too it! We posted like 2min apart.

I'm posting a little bit now...check it out using your login info matt.

Hi Steve,

I sent you a bunch of pictures. To your gmail address. So I encourage everybody to go check out his website for a quick preview.
For the PSU, we did not put it on top of the CPU because we want you to be able to fit tall heatsink (I will report later what the limitation is). In the retail version, a 160mm PSU will no overlap at all on the CPU heatsink. Right now, the overlap is less than 1/4" and can be easily fixed.
Please, keep in mind there are some nice, short PSU out there that are less than 160mm long and provide more than enough power (think 500W) for a mini ITX set up.;)
Since people have asked, we are trying for retail of: $139-$145max. It depends of what will be available and what finish we end up with (glossy and anodizing are a bit spendy).

I actually really like the color scheme you've got for the prototype, I don't mind the gloss at all. All black might attract a lot of finger prints. That price sounds good, lets get it to retail!

Hi Steve,

nexus 430 is a short powersupply but not modular , very quality powersupply as i have one here. i think they make one that is modular or was thinking of making one

still i prefer a tower mini itx design as to me taller is better than longer

Jen

So....how do we sign up for the beta? or are the chosen ones already chosen? My only concern with the design is the PSU exhaust. As of right now in the prototype, the hot exhaust hits the front of the case and looks like it can go anywhere. Unless I'm wrong and it's blocked off on the top and bottom and the only air path is toward the 120mm fan? I guess as long as their's ample cooling and/or you use a very high efficiency PSU it wont be as much of an issue.

edit: also, matt, are those dimensions final? You mention an additional 1/4'' in length, but height and width seem final? Wouldn't want to add too much, as the idea is small as possible. Based on your height dimension, I found the Xigmatek HDT-SD964, seems like it should fit at only 133mm height.

Hi Ryboto,

For the Beta, we have very limited places as it is very expensive to produce prototypes in small numbers. I think all the spots are already taken or reserved, so I'll keep you all guys posted (at least for round 1).
The PSU exhaust from the top. So no worries there.
The dimension are pretty final. We will just do some small adjustments to the lengh for no more than a fraction of an inch (probably around 1/4"). So it will not be noticeable.
The edge will be slightly curvier for a smoother look but we'll test with you and decide together what looks best.
I think the HDT-SD964 should fit. I will give the exact limitation in height as soon as I get to that.

Hi Matt,
Very nice looking prototype. Is there any chance of getting windows on the sides. I'm thinking about putting in an SFX PSU for less clutter. Then putting fans at the back of the case over the motherboard to vent out the hot air. Take out the side fans and then you have a clear view of the inside of the case. Now that would rock!

Great stuff so far, I look forward to seeing how it develops.

mmm... looking good. i did like the psu placement matx case.. i see that it has changed on this one. Wondering what airflow will be like. can't wait to see some more info on this.

nexus 430 is a short powersupply but not modular , very quality powersupply as i have one here.

That's what I would probably stick into this case (and what I currently have in my SG03). It's small, silent, ok efficiency... it's indeed not modular but the smaller overall size makes that less of an issue than on a very big PSU. Especially in this SG03 cable management is a breeze with this PSU since all the extra cables can be tucked on top of the PSU, something that isn't really possible with a longer unit. Hard to say how exactly it would work with this ITX case, but I don't think it'd be any sort of problem.

The mentioned target price seems to be about what I expected. To think there was a time I used to go with 60 euro case+PSU combinations and anything more expensive was out of the question... :D The most expensive case for me so far is this SG03 (of course, shortly after Silverstone released the improved version that is much cheaper). But around $140 still seems ok for the somewhat exceptional specs of this case (whatever its name will be).

mattinv said:
Right now, the back is a bit hard to reach, but you can remove the PSU holder so easily that it will not be a problem.
I was actually referring to the backside of the motherboard. Namely being able to uninstall CPU coolers that have a support bracket under the board etc. without disassembling the entire computer. It doesn't seem (judging by the pics so far) to be the case that it would have a motherboard tray at least, so I'm thinking this won't be possible?

Mattinv, it took me a while to understand your "the PSU exhaust it's warm air on the top of the case" as the PSU normally exhausts on the side opposite the cables/modular connectors side (and we can see from the pics where that is). Should I read that PSU exhausts toward the front and then exhausted air gets deflected toward the top cover which will have exhaust holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back