New SFF gamer case: Mini ITX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mattinv, it took me a while to understand your "the PSU exhaust it's warm air on the top of the case" as the PSU normally exhausts on the side opposite the cables/modular connectors side (and we can see from the pics where that is). Should I read that PSU exhausts toward the front and then exhausted air gets deflected toward the top cover which will have exhaust holes?
Yes, you are absolutely correct. It exhaust on the front, then deflected to the top of the case. Sorry, this was not clear at all. We better start posting schematics.

Mattinv, it took me a while to understand your "the PSU exhaust it's warm air on the top of the case" as the PSU normally exhausts on the side opposite the cables/modular connectors side (and we can see from the pics where that is). Should I read that PSU exhausts toward the front and then exhausted air gets deflected toward the top cover which will have exhaust holes?

I was actually wondering that myself. Based on the picture the PSU cables are pointing toward the back, which would mean the ventilation holes would be pointing towards the front panel, and the PSU fan toward the bottom.

Should I read that PSU exhausts toward the front and then exhausted air gets deflected toward the top cover which will have exhaust holes?

Thats how I read it, but from the pictures I can't see any vents given the angle of the shots.

Thats how I read it, but from the pictures I can't see any vents given the angle of the shots.
I can see a few rows of holes in there by zooming into the first image now that I knew what to look for based on the earlier post about them. But it seems to be a fairly small surface area, so if you stick a very hot PSU in there, I wonder how it copes :)

I can see a few rows of holes in there by zooming into the first image now that I knew what to look for based on the earlier post about them. But it seems to be a fairly small surface area, so if you stick a very hot PSU in there, I wonder how it copes :)

Well, I planned on going with the x-650, or enermax's new modu87, and considering their efficiencies, I wont have to worry about heat.

Yeah, it is slightly under 11 but will probably increase to 11 I'm guessing.

Sorry for any mistakes :) I rushed it for you guys!

Matt,

Have you decided on who is selected as a beta tester yet? My HTPC is looking for a new home and it would love one of these!!!

Thanks for the updated pics steve! Matt, the specs say this case can support 2x2.5 drives. Is that only if you don't install the 3.5''? Because based on the pictures, I'm not sure I can see where they'd fit.

powersupply is to close to video card , either case needs to go wider to move powersupply over. or thinner fans used and powersupply moved. thats how it looks to me from the pictures i see

Jen

Thanks for the updated pics steve! Matt, the specs say this case can support 2x2.5 drives. Is that only if you don't install the 3.5''? Because based on the pictures, I'm not sure I can see where they'd fit.

HDD: What can fit?

For the hard drive, it is based around the concept that you will use the following set up:
- 2 x SSD for speed
- 1 x 3.5" HDD for storage.
So you have enough slots to mount all these drives all at once.
They are cooled by the 120 mm fan on the side (optional). Plus the Power supply takes the warm air from the drives out of the case.

I hope this helps. We need to post some more pictures of the set up.:p

HDD: What can fit?

For the hard drive, it is based around the concept that you will use the following set up:
- 2 x SSD for speed
- 1 x 3.5" HDD for storage.
So you have enough slots to mount all these drives all at once.
They are cooled by the 120 mm fan on the side (optional). Plus the Power supply takes the warm air from the drives out of the case.

I hope this helps. We need to post some more pictures of the set up.:p

Thanks, that's good to know. More pictures are always welcome! I'm still jsut unclear where exactly the 2.5's mount, but I can be patient!

Thanks, that's good to know. More pictures are always welcome! I'm still jsut unclear where exactly the 2.5's mount, but I can be patient!

There are 2 2.5" slot on top of the 3.5" slot. There are oriented differently.
They are all placed under the slim dvd drive slot.

Hmm maybe an adapter plate to mount a Silverstone 450w SFX PSU?
I would hate to see slot load only for the optical drive. Too limiting on drive choices and I just hate slot drives.
Make mine black and red, please.

this looks amazing, id be in for $200 if you could make it all black annodized aluminum as opposed to glossy whatever that is (plastic?)

@Hofy: Yeah, slot load only wouldn't work as an only option, but I imagine it will be available as a separate option from the standard version.

this looks amazing, id be in for $200 if you could make it all black annodized aluminum as opposed to glossy whatever that is (plastic?)
Don't worry, something tells me it won't be over $149 all black anodized aluminum!;)
That is if we keep working on low margin. or we can start charging $200+ like the competition. We'll let you guys decide!:D

Hmm maybe an adapter plate to mount a Silverstone 450w SFX PSU?
I would hate to see slot load only for the optical drive. Too limiting on drive choices and I just hate slot drives.
Make mine black and red, please.
i dont think it has to be slot loading, it just needs to be slim, assuming the piece on the faceplate can be removed. slot-loading just looks so much more clean.

So is there any ETA on this thing, Ill need a compact computer very soon (like in a month or so) and this would be perfect if released by then.

i dont think it has to be slot loading, it just needs to be slim, assuming the piece on the faceplate can be removed. slot-loading just looks so much more clean.

Yes, slim will be the only thing that fits. I seen that Matt has a slot loader in there. that should make both camps happy.

Yes, slim will be the only thing that fits. I seen that Matt has a slot loader in there. that should make both camps happy.

Look much ore slick if the glossy/annodized front was not interrupted by plastic at all. I vote for a machined slot.

Looks good! Well designed and thought out. It seems to be a rarity these days.

My biggest criticism is the front-end. It looks like someone took the Nexus Psile and beat it with the ugly stick :p It needs some detail on there and the DVD drive needs hiding. The problem with Slimline drives is they come in various different bezel sizes, so inevitably you wind up either having some drives that won't fit the hole and some drives that have a gap around them. The SG05 has this problem and it annoys me a little (but it's a rugged looking case though so it almost gets away with it). You guys seem to be going for a better finish here, it would seem sensible to follow the lead of other premium cases (like the Psile and OrigenAE M10) and fit a slimline slot loading drive (or stealthed tray drive) as standard.

I know the appearance isn't final though, look forward to seeing the finished design. It's a bit difficult to say anything about the internals as it looks perfect for what I'd use it for!

Anyhow, you'll most likely have an order from me when this goes on sale in Europe :)

My biggest criticism is the front-end. It looks like someone took the Nexus Psile and beat it with the ugly stick :p It needs some detail on there and the DVD drive needs hiding.

personally, i think the minimalistic face fits the intent, being that its minimalistic in size. Maybe in the future they could offer a different design on the face, but as a base level design, i think this is perfect. I also feel that they're probably limited with space for what they can fit/include with the case. I'd rather them not bundle anything, and if they do, make it an option. I like picking the hardware myself.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for all the feedback.
I see we are having this big discussion about the front bezel being hidden or not.
Of course, we could easily hide it and leave a slot. The question remains: what if the slim drive has a tray?
Question: Would it be acceptable to force you to buy a slim drive that does not have tray?
If this is the case, we could re design it to only show the loading slot.
What if the eject button was hidden as well? The problem is that making the small push button that fits there might be harder to implement than it looks...

Hi Everybody,

I see we are having this big discussion about the front bezel being hidden or not.
Of course, we could easily hide it and leave a slot. The question remains: what if the slim drive has a tray?
Question: Would it be acceptable to force you to buy a slim drive that does not have tray?
What if the eject button was hidden as well? The problem is that making the small push button that fits there might be harder to implement than it looks...
In short, don't do it. It drives up cost for almost no benefit.

Hi Everybody,

yes!
Agreed, I wouldn't really miss it since its possible to have software eject. Others may be picky though.

I'm officially waiting to pull the SFF trigger until this hits the market!

I'm digging the piano black + white look.

Is this only going to come in black? What about a classy silver brushed aluminum color like some of Shuttle's classic models like the SB61G2?

Shuttle%2BSB61G2-S.jpg

I'm tired of all these black cases. Living in the desert makes it worse since it's so dusty and the dust shows so easily on black cases.

Awesome. I've been waiting for this since you first made word of it in the Da Box thread.

Enough room for a 240mm rad and regular fans?

Awesome. I've been waiting for this since you first made word of it in the Da Box thread.

Enough room for a 240mm rad and regular fans?

Yes, in theory, you could fit a 240mm rad. But for the fans, you must do some modding to the top cover. We might try to do some modification that could make it easier.

Black anodized will be beautiful. What about powder coating? For me, this thing will be a little lan monster I'd appreciate the durability of a powder coat.

Hi Everybody,

Chances are that people are going to buy a new DVD drive for this case (How many already have a slim drive?) And they're honestly not that much more expensive than tray drives.

I bought mine from Directron. http://www.directron.com/dvrts08.html?gsear=1

Point being, it's my opinion that this case will largely be a system people design a build for from the ground up, not adjust an existing build for. Software eject works in most operating systems so going buttonless wouldn't be a huge issue either.

I may speak for a minority, but I wouldn't be terribly heart broken seeing the front I/O ports removed entirely, or to a lesser extent losing the headphone and microphone jacks.

Just really like a clean look!

I've looked before, but, does anyone know of a slim, slot loading Blu-ray reader/DVD burner combo drive?

I would second the removal of the headphone/mic, in favor for more USB, but I might be in a minority. In all honesty, I'm perfectly happy with the way the case is designed as is(+ the 1/4'' length adjustment), and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it were available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back