New Samsung 4k for everyone.

quick question. Does the Samsung ship with a HDMI 2.0 cable? If not, do you guys recommend Flea-bay. monoprice or Local Frys, BBuy? I usually get mine from Monoprice.

Shorter cables work better. It's worth trying existing 6ft cables.

None of the affordable "HDMI 2" cables are tested against the spec anyway.

Shorter cables work better. It's worth trying existing 6ft cables.

None of the affordable "HDMI 2" cables are tested against the spec anyway.

That's a good point. If you have one sitting around, give it a shot. The generic one that I tried (came with an old monitor) gave me video corruption in the form of random sparkly cyan pixels.

Thanks for the info. So I would assume HDMI over display port. My 980 Ti's got all the ports needed, just wanted to know what other people have gone with

Edit-My bad-Just looked at the specs on the One box.. I guess this box minimizes wires to the TV. Seems kind of bulky though. Guess I can Velcro it to the back of my desk

TV doesnt have display port and there are no DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters.

TV doesnt have display port and there are no DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters.

Yes I realized that and edited my Post. Since 2.0 actually isn't a hardware change, I bet 1.4 cables should work. I'm still going to buy a new cable as that's how us [H] dudes roll:p

Yes I realized that and edited my Post. Since 2.0 actually isn't a hardware change, I bet 1.4 cables should work. I'm still going to buy a new cable as that's how us [H] dudes roll:p

The spec should be tighter and supposedly the bit mask is now for equalized eye (mandatory? equalized is in 1.3 spec, can't find 2.0 spec online). Regardless it doesn't matter because it's not as if they're making new type of copper wire etc to conform, just tweaking the existing process if the product shows defects with 2.0 gear. Most good cables won't be changed at all.

My 48" JS8500 came in today. Just using it as a TV so far but I'm loving it. Way better picture than the cheapy LG I got six years ago. Can't drop my multi monitors just yet, but after seeing the picture on this thing I might have to run an HDMI over to it for some couch gaming.

Korean monitors use the same panels with simple straightforward electronics instead of all the TV stuff. The TV manufacturers with their volume should have this market to themselves if not for their generally incompetent product design/management.

OK...I want to nuke Adorama. What a bunch of idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I purchase my TV 2 days ago, and it shows "hold" status yesterday. I call and some guy tells me that is normal and it should ship out soon. I come home from work last night, and no email with tracking or email period. I log into Adorama and WTF.... "Order cancelled"

Of course, I call in the morning and speak to some idiot lady reading from a script, and she tells me that Adorama's high tech fraud software detected something in my purchase,so that is why it was cancelled. When I ask her why my Paypal credit account was charged, she says don't worry that charge will not go through since your order was cancelled....Well, NO SHIT!!!

She tells me, she can transfer me to a sales rep who can help me make the purchase again. I ask her if she is blind and does she not know the TV is now on backorder??? She says, "No problem sir, just know that it will be in stock again soon. I ask "How soon?" she replies, "I do not have that information sir, but it will be soon." I just hung up. It's funny because the $400 rebate was taken down from the rebate section and the only available rebate now is the s6 one that expires in like 2 days. So, I'm sure that has something to do with it and my Super High tech Software Adorama fraud cancellation. Just great....

This is one thing I truly hate about buying online. As least with Best Buy and Frys, I can go inside and actually yell at someone in person when we as customers are getting hosed! Well, on to the next fiasco...I just want to buy the TV...damn :confused:

Last edited:
I assume you bought the Samsung 48JS900 like I and many others have. What do you think of the input lag? If you use game mode what do you think about losing 4:4:4 Chroma ability? I ask these questions because I am having a strange psychological experience that I know is silly, but is happening anyway.

Yeps, JS9000. Can't even tell input lag in PC or Game Mode. Losing 4:4:4 in games, I have never been able to see a difference. I guess if you sat around and tried to find the differences I could.

OK...I want to nuke Adorama. What a bunch of idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I purchase my TV 2 days ago, and it shows "hold" status yesterday. I call and some guy tells me that is normal and it should ship out soon. I come home from work last night, and no email with tracking or email period. I log into Adorama and WTF.... "Order cancelled"

Of course, I call in the morning and speak to some idiot lady reading from a script, and she tells me that Adorama's high tech fraud software detected something in my purchase,so that is why it was cancelled. When I ask her why my Paypal credit account was charged, she says don't worry that charge will not go through since your order was cancelled....Well, NO SHIT!!!

She tells me, she can transfer me to a sales rep who can help me make the purchase again. I ask her if she is blind and does she not know the TV is now on backorder??? She says, "No problem sir, just know that it will be in stock again soon. I ask "How soon?" she replies, "I do not have that information sir, but it will be soon." I just hung up. It's funny because the $400 rebate was taken down from the rebate section and the only available rebate now is the s6 one that expires in like 2 days. So, I'm sure that has something to do with it and my Super High tech Software Adorama fraud cancellation. Just great....

This is one thing I truly hate about buying online. As least with Best Buy and Frys, I can go inside and actually yell at someone in person when we as customers are getting hosed! Well, on to the next fiasco...I just want to buy the TV...damn :confused:

Oh wow....that does suck. I ordered a 48" JS8500 from them two days ago also but received my UPS tracking number from them yesterday. I guess I won't feel confident about this until the TV is physically in my possession.

Korean monitors use the same panels with simple straightforward electronics instead of all the TV stuff. The TV manufacturers with their volume should have this market to themselves if not for their generally incompetent product design/management.

I heard they use the lower quality panels that the big brands reject.

I may look at getting a JS9000 around Black Friday.
At the time I bought my 6700, the higher models where very expensive but the prices are now coming down.

Thankfully, this is a Smart TV and can be re-purposed in the house. A standard monitor I would have needed to sell it.
Expected but it still shocking how much value is lost only over a few months of owning a new TV. A lower return than a new car.

I'm looking at about a 30-40% loss in value on the used market in only four months. The potential lower price of the JS9000 on Black Friday can offset my upgrade cost.

Last edited:
I may look at getting a JS9000 around Black Friday.
At the time I bought my 6700, the higher models where very expensive but the prices are now coming down.

Thankfully, this is a Smart TV and can be re-purposed in the house. A standard monitor I would have needed to sell it.
Expected but it still shocking how much value is lost only over a few months of owning a new TV. A lower return than a new car.

I'm looking at about a 30-40% loss in value on the used market in only four months. The potential lower price of the JS9000 on Black Friday can offset my upgrade cost.

Yep with TVs it is always better to hold off until Black Friday unless you really have the upgrade itch.

Yep with TVs it is always better to hold off until Black Friday unless you really have the upgrade itch.

I don't know, I've never once gotten a good black Friday deal.

The best deals are usually on things that are sold out unless you camp out outside the store and are one of the first in the door, and quite frankly, f that. I hate people toouch to ever put up with that sjit., when they are at their worst squishing some poor store employee at the door :p

Old myth, you can find same or better prices online throughout the year.
Black Friday sales these days are pretty much liquidation sales on stuff nobody wants.

I heard they use the lower quality panels that the big brands reject.

Oftentimes, yes. Same "panel" but whatever coating/etc they can get their hands on. It's often for PC/inet cafes which understandably are less demanding. They also sometimes have several grade of products themselves including "pixel perfect".

Their prices were relatively cheap compared to other low volume brand name monitors but not so much against TVs.

As for how much these should cost, Xiaomi, a low margin but high quality manufacturer is releasing their 49" 4k w/ samsung panel for ~$500.

Black Friday sales these days are pretty much liquidation sales on stuff nobody wants.

Depends since big ticket items are often loss leaders. However getting said items are a major hassle potentially involving camping on concrete.

Oh wow....that does suck. I ordered a 48" JS8500 from them two days ago also but received my UPS tracking number from them yesterday. I guess I won't feel confident about this until the TV is physically in my possession.

Well, good luck dude. I hope you don't get screwed. I bought one time from them before and it was via there Ebay store, and didn't have an issue. I'll never buy from them again though. I went ahead an bought from my tried and true go to B&H. I've spent thousands there and always get fast, free shipping to California. I just paid for the TV like 2 hours ago, and it shows it was already picked up by UPS.

I'm talking about BF deals online. Agreed that the in-store doorbuster deals are usually junk.

Anyway, last year's Samsung sets had some significant discounts during BF, around 30-40% off, they went up afterwards and never went lower from authorized dealers due to being discontinued afterwards. I was eyeing to buy one then but didn't because the 4K offerings then had some issues with getting 4:4:4.

Zarathustra[H];1041764266 said:

The best deals are usually on things that are sold out unless you camp out outside the store and are one of the first in the door, and quite frankly, f that. I hate people toouch to ever put up with that sjit., when they are at their worst squishing some poor store employee at the door :p

I did once. I got a 6 burner grill for $200. It was normally a $500 grill which isn't exactly high end but its worked well for me.

Zarathustra[H];1041764266 said:

Samsung has an annoying habit of introducing updated models of their TVs with significantly inferior 3rd party panels on black friday. They have the same model # just different version number (i.e., not TS-01) that is only found physically on box and not advertised.

They did it last year with the 2014 models. I would be VERY careful when buying any Samsung black friday deal TV (or after unless you can physically inspect the box for panel version #).

I'm talking about BF deals online. Agreed that the in-store doorbuster deals are usually junk.

Anyway, last year's Samsung sets had some significant discounts during BF, around 30-40% off, they went up afterwards and never went lower from authorized dealers due to being discontinued afterwards. I was eyeing to buy one then but didn't because the 4K offerings then had some issues with getting 4:4:4.

Count your blessings. The 2014 Samsung black friday deal TVs were significantly inferior to normal models.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

Don't be fooled by the name brands

"That's fine," you might think. "There are lots of name-brand TVs on sale too! I'll just get one of those."

Not so fast. While there are a handful of critically acclaimed TVs on sale, simply buying a name-brand is not enough. On Black Friday, buyers should be sure to carefully check the model number on any TV before plunking down their hard-earned cash.

In their quest to attract shoppers, stores will partner with big-name manufacturers to create "derivative models" — stripped-down versions of pre-existing TVs. These TVs, made specifically for Black Friday, are often not as good as the model they're based on: The picture may be lesser quality, or the warranty may be altered. There could be some missing features or components. In short, that 42-inch Samsung TV you buy on Black Friday might not be as good as a 42-inch Samsung bought back in October.

Samsung has an annoying habit of introducing updated models of their TVs with significantly inferior 3rd party panels on black friday. They have the same model # just different version number (i.e., not TS-01) that is only found physically on box and not advertised.

They did it last year with the 2014 models. I would be VERY careful when buying any Samsung black friday deal TV (or after unless you can physically inspect the box for panel version #).

I have a local store that inspects every TV for the customer before buying. The salesman took my 6700 out of the box and we watched TV on it before I took delivery.
I can check model numbers during the holiday season just to be sure. Besides, the JS9000 will be far from doorbuster pricing.

A person can purchase one now and it can have dead pixels, color distortion or shipping damage.
With anything fragile like TV's, it's best to buy local if possible.

I did hear about Samsung swapping panels last year, but they actually did that well in advance of Black Friday, at least for the 4K sets.

They quietly did a bait and switch on HU8550, replacing the panel with one that didn't do 4:4:4, only like a month after the 4:4:4 firmware issue was fixed for those that the previous panel. So people heard the issue was finally fixed, then went out and bought the TV... only to find Samsung replaced the panel with an inferior one. It was a pretty scummy move.

I did once. I got a 6 burner grill for $200. It was normally a $500 grill which isn't exactly high end but its worked well for me.

I paid $275 for a 5 burner all stainless gas grill with a separate stove burner (which I've never used) regular price at Target.

Its all I could ever want in a grill :p

I just installed Windows 10. Scaling is finally done right! Everything looks sharper now even when it's at 200%. Windows 10 is made for 4K. I like it!

Edit: Unfortunately, most apps are not designed for Windows 10 it still looks like crap when scaled.

Last edited:
I just installed Windows 10. Scaling is finally done right! Everything looks sharper now even when it's at 200%. Windows 10 is made for 4K. I like it!

Lol.

My default scaling in Windows 10 on my 48" JS9000 was 300%.

First thing I did after installing my GPU drivers was turn that right back down to 100% :p

Question about SLI on Samsung 4k TV :
does it work ok ?
SLI = more input lag / stuttering ?
if i have two GPU, how do i connect 2 cards on my Samsung ? I ask that, because only HDMI 1 supports 4k@60Hz
Please give me some advices, guys
Thank you

Question about SLI on Samsung 4k TV :
does it work ok ?
SLI = more input lag / stuttering ?
if i have two GPU, how do i connect 2 cards on my Samsung ? I ask that, because only HDMI 1 supports 4k@60Hz
Please give me some advices, guys
Thank you

You only connect one card to OneBox, the main card. You connect the second card to your main card via SLI brigde (inside the computer).

Hmm guys help me push some tweets to TFTCentral since they have no idea those samsung tvs can be used as monitors and a lot of people are doing it. Maybe we could get proper review of one of them when used as pc display.

Gentlemen,

I spent the better part of a weekend reading through a lot of this thread a number of weeks ago. Mea culpa for the questions...I think I know the answer to the first one but would like confirmation. TIA.

I sold my gaming PC and will be strictly gaming on consoles until I can afford to put together an Intel Skylake-based PC with a 980Ti or Fury. Just want to confirm that console image quality doesn't suffer due to upscaling on either the 6500 or 7100 models. I'm looking at the 40" non-curved sets.

Also, I'm currently using an Ivy Bridge (HD4000) laptop and sending video to my 1080p Asus via HDMI. I need to do some research but I'll throw this out here: can I get 4K from this?

Gentlemen,

I spent the better part of a weekend reading through a lot of this thread a number of weeks ago. Mea culpa for the questions...I think I know the answer to the first one but would like confirmation. TIA.

I sold my gaming PC and will be strictly gaming on consoles until I can afford to put together an Intel Skylake-based PC with a 980Ti or Fury. Just want to confirm that console image quality doesn't suffer due to upscaling on either the 6500 or 7100 models. I'm looking at the 40" non-curved sets.

Also, I'm currently using an Ivy Bridge (HD4000) laptop and sending video to my 1080p Asus via HDMI. I need to do some research but I'll throw this out here: can I get 4K from this?

Upscaling from 1080p to 4k is perfect, and introduces only minimal lag, due to there not being much in the way of processing involved. (essentially it's just a matter of displaying each 1080p pixel on 4x 4k pixels.)

Now, I wouldn't say it looks great, as your pixels are relatively large at these sizes, but it looks no worse than on a similarly sized 1080p TV.

Thanks
What about input lag / stuttering on 4K ?

Input lag was a big concern of mine before going SLI, but in reality I couldn't tell the difference between single GPU and SLI.

There is some stuttering in some titles at 4k, caused by erratic frame times.

This is really a GPU / Game engine issue - though - not a Screen/TV/panel issue.

You are pushing a lot of image data between the cards in SLI at 4k.

I don't play that many games anymore, but the one game I do play a lot (Red Orchestra 2) was pretty bad. Granted, it was pretty bad in Crossfire at 2560x1600 back in 2011 when I had dual Radeon HD6970's too.

I had temporarily turned my i7-3930k down to stock clocks before my rebuild in a new case, as my fans on my radiator were starting to die on me. I have found that now that I am back up at 4.8Ghz (soon to be back at 5.0 after some more tweaking) the frame times are much more under control than they used to be.

Still not perfect, but I can live with it.

Some game engines love SLI, and have very consistent frame times at 4k, and some (like Red orchestra 2) are HORRIBLE. On the bad ones, clocking CPU up seems to reduce, but not eliminate the issue.

Again, this is not a problem with the screens, but more with how SLI is implemented in the game engine.

My UN48JS8500 arrives Tuesday according to the UPS tracking. I am probably going to replace the TV in my bedroom that is to the side of my PC desk and so I am hoping I will not have any issues with this:

10' HDMI Cable

I figure I can keep my 27" ASUS 278H for 3D and 120Hz gaming and have the 4K TV for high resolution gaming. I can't wait to try out Witcher 3 on it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just went through much of this thread and I am excited to see these Samsung models as a viable option for a 4K "monitor." I'm looking at the 48" JS9000 most likely.

I have been using an Eizo 27" 2560x1440 for quite some time now (and Dell 27" prior), and my body is ready for a high res, large screen monitor :cool: Witcher on a 27" just doesn't cut it anymore. The game is simply too beautiful to be played on something less than a 40" I feel.

Planning to purchase a 980Ti as well... Slightly off topic, but any suggestions as to which make on the 980Ti? Should I go MSI? Asus? etc?

Back