New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Fk u nerd fite me irl!

Seriously though. Even if I can't perceive any difference in the image, the higher resolution image is always going to be the better one simply because there's more data. Something recorded and viewed in 4k will always have more detail in it than 1080p. Higher res means that microscopic freckle that wasn't able to be seen before can now be seen. I don't care if I'm standing 10 ft back and cant pick it out with my bare eye. The image has a whole is more detailed therefore has to be a better image in entirety. I'm not convinced that the brains ability to discern an image can be completely reduced down to distance/resolution etc. The closer we can get to matching IRL the better, I don't care the distance. ( and yes I know we dont see in pixels ) .

Resolution is one part of the puzzle. There's colors, contrast, etc. I will guarantee you that at 25ft, a 1080P OLED vs a 4KV VA, same size, same source, the OLED will look better in a double blind test.

But why are we arguing about this? If anyone wants to buy 4K monitors/TV's for viewing at 25ft, more power to them. Perception is reality. If they believe it's better, who's to argue that the person is wrong?

I made my decision whether to keep it or not.... :D

IiJtZYA.jpg

WQVHzkV.jpg

O7Li0OC.jpg

UHsvVoH.jpg

cFAu6SF.jpg

K4z6e20.jpg

UZL05UK.jpg

Pictures is not great qality, taken with a iPad camera, :rolleyes:

This TV can do 4096x2160?

I can feel the PWM like I did with the Philips :(

Last edited:
Liars.

I'm 46 with shitty vision and I could see the 4k difference from 25' away the very first time I saw a 4k set back in 2011 or 12' or so.

If this is meant to be serious please submit your eyes to science or better yet the vatican because they break the laws of physics.

Last edited:
I made my decision whether to keep it or not.... :D

Pictures is not great qality, taken with a iPad camera, :rolleyes:

I can feel the PWM like I did with the Philips :(

Bummer. How how does PWM make you feel? Fatigue or headaches?

Have you tried any games on it? How's the motion on it?

You can see the effects that I'm talking about yourself at the test I linked to. I can certainly see it. I'm not talking about fast motion. See the test for what I'm referring to.

Ok, I looked at that test more carefully and it warrants a more detailed reply.

Most importantly it's not a resolution test per se, but an on/off test. Use the aliased setting and notice the line "sparkles". This is a byproduct of the aliasing but you're not really "reading" the line (discerning res) but pixels blipping on and off quickly.

To "pass" such a test you need to be far enough away that you can't see lines of pixels turning on and off.

> (the motion makes the flaw more obvious when there's nothing else on the screen, again quite artificial). Due to the contrast variation it probably works all the way down to best case scenario.

I'm glad you see the effect that I'm taking about. :)

Bummer. How how does PWM make you feel? Fatigue or headaches?

Have you tried any games on it? How's the motion on it?

I feel that my eyes is getting more tired then when I was using my BL3201PT. Wih the Philips I used to get headche, but haven't got it yet with the Sammy.

Have no game installed now, but will try tomorrow, need to sleep soon.

I will try to remove the stand and have the display on the desk directly, because right now I can't push the display all the way back so it's a bit too close, if I remove the stand I should be able to push it + 16 cm back.

I feel that my eyes is getting more tired then when I was using my BL3201PT. Wih the Philips I used to get headche, but haven't got it yet with the Sammy.

Have no game installed now, but will try tomorrow, need to sleep soon.

I will try to remove the stand and have the display on the desk directly, because right now I can't push the display all the way back so it's a bit too close, if I remove the stand I should be able to push it + 16 cm back.

How's your blacklight? Hopefully it's not at 20! Try lowering it to 10 to see if it's PWM, or if it's because it's too bright. Also, since you have the BL3201, can you do a quick comparison on the clarity, blacks, color, etc. between the two? Thanks!

How's your blacklight? Hopefully it's not at 20! Try lowering it to 10 to see if it's PWM, or if it's because it's too bright. Also, since you have the BL3201, can you do a quick comparison on the clarity, blacks, color, etc. between the two? Thanks!

It's was at 12 and I lowered it to 10, haven't messed with the other settings yet.

BL3201 had a bit better colors, and the blacks on it was pretty good even thought there was some AHVA glow, because the Benq had higher PPI and was more sharp I will have to spend some more time with this Sammy before I get used to the new PPI :)

The TV wouldn't connect to WiFi after 2 tries, supposedly because wrong password, but on the third try it worked.

Last edited:
I'm glad you see the effect that I'm taking about. :)

Yes, but it's not a res test, and it's quite artificial.

Ironically I pulled a similar "trick" on someone when the tables were turned in this argument (I was claiming super high res does give a benefit on the desktop) some years back.

The reason why it's not a res test is that usually those test to a typical MTF (a certain contrast between points or whatever), whereas this this works down to almost no contrast (while the lines are full contrast).

Hey, question.

I have a vast collection of MKV's ripped from my Bluray collection.

In Windows, obviously, you don't get the upconvert to 4k from 1080p. What method are some of you guys using to get the upconvert?

Hey, question.

I have a vast collection of MKV's ripped from my Bluray collection.

In Windows, obviously, you don't get the upconvert to 4k from 1080p. What method are some of you guys using to get the upconvert?

Install Plex server. Download the Plex app for Tizen (Not sure if it's out yet, it's available on the non-Tizen Samsung), switch input to one that's not on PC mode (turn on all interpolation). Stream from there. Videos should look amazing.

All computer players do scaling and the "upconvert" is built into the scaling alg. Standard bicubic looks pretty decent, and it's not easy to do that much better.

When my backlight was above 10, I can feel the fatigue after a few hours.
Lowering the backlight to 5 eliminated the fatigue. YMMV.

Yes, but it's not a res test, and it's quite artificial.

Ironically I pulled a similar "trick" on someone when the tables were turned in this argument (I was claiming super high res does give a benefit on the desktop) some years back.

The reason why it's not a res test is that usually those test to a typical MTF (a certain contrast between points or whatever), whereas this this works down to almost no contrast (while the lines are full contrast).

Higher res will reduce the effect.

When my backlight was above 10, I can feel the fatigue after a few hours.
Lowering the backlight to 5 eliminated the fatigue. YMMV.

Interesting. That supposedly goes against the logic that is PWM. More PWM = less backlight, vice versa.

Since i seem to be screwed for choice, which of these is the actual better model as they are the only two below 50-inch i can find that will work in Australia.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/uhd-tv/UA48HU8500WXXY

or

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/uhd-tv/UA40JU6400WXXY

If i import a UK or US model then it would give me an invalid country selection i am guessing?

Is there any Country settings that current owners of US or UK models can see that let you change it to Australian?

The first one is a 2014 model, the second one should be fine unless you want 48".

Here are my settings in PC Mode:

Picture Mode - Standard
Backlight - 5
Contrast - 70
Brightness - 45
Sharpness 50
Color Tone - Standard
Black Level - Low

I use this for productivity in low light. No strain on my eyes.

I use your settings now and it feels good. It seems like it's better for the eyes.

Interesting. That supposedly goes against the logic that is PWM. More PWM = less backlight, vice versa.

Interesting.

I use your settings now and it feels good. It seems like it's better for the eyes.

So is it PWM or are you susceptible to the brightness which is known to cause fatigue? If it's not PWM, well, congrats! ;)

All computer players do scaling and the "upconvert" is built into the scaling alg. Standard bicubic looks pretty decent, and it's not easy to do that much better.

Disagree. There's a reason why Samsung leads consistently in image quality. Their software, coupled with the way they design their panels, were designed to delivers better results than a "generic" bicubic upsampling. If that were the case, the Vizio should look as good as the Samsung, and that clearly is not the case. However, it's pretty easy to test this theory out. Anyone with a Samsung hooked to a PC can test A/B and see the results for yourself.

I notice some weird effect when I move around Windows, in Windows 7. It's like the window that I am dragging around is "shaking", and if I drag a window with text the text becomes fuzzy.

Is it some setting on the TV causing it?

I notice some weird effect when I move around Windows, in Windows 7. It's like the window that I am dragging around is "shaking", and if I drag a window with text the text becomes fuzzy.

Is it some setting on the TV causing it?

I use Windows 8.1 and do not see that issue. That's a strange one. I wonder if it's because Windows 7 can't handle 4K resolution?

I use Windows 8.1 and do not see that issue. That's a strange one. I wonder if it's because Windows 7 can't handle 4K resolution?

Sure windows can handle that res, and I did not have such problem on my Benq.

Disagree. There's a reason why Samsung leads consistently in image quality. Their software, coupled with the way they design their panels, were designed to delivers better results than a "generic" bicubic upsampling. If that were the case, the Vizio should look as good as the Samsung, and that clearly is not the case. However, it's pretty easy to test this theory out. Anyone with a Samsung hooked to a PC can test A/B and see the results for yourself.

Samsung looks better because it has better colors and other processing. Most video processing is about adjusting those curves, sharpness, noise reduction, etc.

I'm also talking about computer scaling where it's more or less a solved problem. If you believe samsung does something superior, please demonstrate it.

Higher res will reduce the effect.

Sure, because the lines being flashed are smaller. It's why I mentioned from the start res is mostly a concern with these abstract shapes/contrast. The problem disappears with more realistic images.

Samsung looks better because it has better colors and other processing. Most video processing is about adjusting those curves, sharpness, noise reduction, etc.

I'm also talking about computer scaling where it's more or less a solved problem. If you believe samsung does something superior, please demonstrate it.

Do you have a Samsung?

Spent some more time with the display. Played some Pro Evo Soccer. No noticeable lag for me. And if I don't notice it in this game, I won't notice it.

I did see some ghosting though, but I think that was the game. Played some Witcher 2 and noticed nothing there. So must have been something with PES.

This is an interesting effect worth expanding on.

I mentioned earlier different types of tracking in videos, and how motion tracking (that blurbusters crusade on) doesn't apply to most video shots. The same is true for games.

In FPS/TPS games the game camera emulates your field of vision and you mostly look ahead. Compare that to a Pacman type game where the screen is fixed and your eyes follow the pacman--that's where the "multiple image" PWM effect becomes visible.

What's more interesting is that if you consider adding motion blur to CG games to make them look continuous/realistic, the FPS case is relatively simple: blur everything that moves. Ironically displays with some persistence ("blur") do this an a side effect, and in this case a desirable one. Something like Lightboost only makes the game look jerky (like an animated graphic novel) unless FPS is quite high.

However in a pacman game where your eyes (and frame of reference) follow the character around the screen, it's the character which must remain unblurred and everything else which should be.

So maybe all the nerd chasing after blurbuster perfection are just playing pacman or some ufo based derivative?

Do you have a Samsung?

I've been to stores that sell TVs. What I've noticed is that Vizio or other lesser brands tend to have less aggressive dynamic video processing which don't stretch out the colors/constrast and all that stuff which makes video look "good" (and desktops look hideous).

Sounds almost like you're describing blur, particularly the second part about the text becoming fuzzy when in motion. Keep in mind the pixel response of these panels, being VA, will probably be a little slower than your IPS BenQ.

What do you mean when you say the window shakes when you drag it around, though? Can you post a close-up vid of you dragging a window around so we can see what you're talking about?

I calibrated my display using my Spyder3. It looks much better now. It would probably be much better once I get a card that support 4:4:4.

I've been to stores that sell TVs. What I've noticed is that Vizio or other lesser brands tend to have less aggressive dynamic video processing which don't stretch out the colors/constrast and all that stuff which makes video look "good" (and desktops look hideous).

Sounds like you agree that Samsung uses a superior video processor.

Mine showed up today. Just had enough time to connect it and check for defects. I didn't see anything, but the remote only works to power on/off the set and none of the other keys work. Thankfully a USB keyboard works to drive the set and all the functions are exposed.

Anyone else have a non functional remote?

OK, I just tested Youtube on SmartHub vs Youtube on a browser. Night and day difference in color, contrast, judder, etc. Youtube on SmartHub has all options turned on, which means SmartHub itself is its own input setting. Try it out and tell me if you're not impressed (just hit SmartHub regardless if you're on HDMI1 or not).

That means we need to be able to view 4K videos through a non-PC mode HDMI input or hopefully streamed through Plex when it's available. If you've been watching 4K in PC Mode on a browser, you're not doing this TV justice. No wonder it doesn't look as good as my F8500. PC Mode is gimped mode for video.

Back