New Forum Software Feedback

+1 for the look and feel! Maybe it's that we've been on the old forum for so long but the new flat theme is definitely is looking fresh and clean. I'm using the Light theme so I can have H up on one of my work screens and blends in with my other open apps.

I used to be able to mark all threads in just a sub forum read but now the only option is to mark the whole forums as read. It would be nice to have the option back but if its not possible with the new software I guess I will learn to deal with it.

I like the changes from what I've seen before, especially the floating-on-top status bar, so I don't have to scroll back up to check notifications.

I can't upload gif's now. Tried drag/drop and the attach file, got the
1580487590619.png

Wanted my big "1K" to be a gif, but I guess this will do.

+1 for the look and feel! Maybe it's that we've been on the old forum for so long but the new flat theme is definitely is looking fresh and clean. I'm using the Light theme so I can have H up on one of my work screens and blends in with my other open apps.

Personally I tend to like old, static, non-scalable interfaces, but I'm just silly that way.

I prescribe to the engineering mantra that the simplest solution is always the best solution.

Not the simplest to use for the user mind you, but the simplest design. For web design and software that would be whatever has the least and simplest code.

Never make any design more complicated than it absolutely has to be.

Also, part of this is probably nostalgia. As lacking in modern amenities as it was, I kind of miss the really old vbulletin implementations. without rich text editors.

I can get used to this though.

I can't upload gif's now. Tried drag/drop and the attach file, got the

What font are you using? That looks a heck of a lot better than the tiny,cramped thing I see.

\
1580487745331.png

Damn, thought I got banned when I saw the login screen for a second there......
IDK, not to sure if anything was wrong with the last version, it just worked AFAIK (as far as I known).
Might want to trim the floating down height-wise, seems it's double text high thick IMO. But then again I'm on Vista 32 using lite version of Palemoon built for XP so it could be a render issue.

R.I.P. HardOCP.com home page. :(

Update:
So, maybe the feature is actually there but not working quite as intended? I just saw the alert.
Unsure at this time, but my experience was I began reading the thread earlier this morning, last post was around 37 I think, only one page.
I refreshed the page and suddenly there were 50 replies and two pages to the thread.

Original:
Seems the notification is gone that would appear at the bottom of a thread, indicating if a new post is made while you are replying, for example, and giving you the option to refresh and display the posts without refreshing the entire page.

That was a slick QoL feature, always appreciated it.
Any chance of seeing that again?
1580489877361.png

Last edited:
OK, give us a few days to work through desktop first, then we will get to mobile.

Currently, no. Yeah, the format is a bit larger than it used to be.

Yeah, we got about 4 or 5 reports of this a few years ago. Again, passwords are fully encrypted. That said, once we get all the Matrix ironed out on this upgrade, we are going to push hard on getting everyone to update their passwords.

I am literally the oldest member on this board, and I have yet to find anything compromised that was linked back to here. But in this case, we will assume the worst and move forward from there.

My thought process is that if you use generally accepted practice of a unique password on every site you use, even if the password database wasn't encrypted, this isn't really a problem.

Ha...I just reached 500 in a reply here.
I didn't even notice I was at 499 until you mentioned something, so it would have passed me by!

I'm not seeing any problems. The style is close enough to the existing one I have no complaints.

The new messages in-line thread notification appears to be lagging behind Alerts considerably, at least ten minutes.
Has it always been like that? I'm not usually responding to active threads, so that could be normal behaviour and I never witnessed it.

The in-line notification popped up for me while I was typing this for a message that was about ten minutes old, but I had received a Alert in the user/menu bar immediately.

If it's nothing, ignore me..only need another five years to learn how things work in the forums. :LOL:

1580491492015.png

My only complaint is that I really don't like the bar at the top scrolling with the page. That's a waste of space

The new messages in-line thread notification appears to be lagging behind Alerts considerably, at least ten minutes.
Has it always been like that? I'm not usually responding to active threads, so that could be normal behaviour and I never witnessed it.

The in-line notification popped up for me while I was typing this for a message that was about ten minutes old, but I had received a Alert in the user/menu bar immediately.

If it's nothing, ignore me..only need another five years to learn how things work in the forums. :LOL:

View attachment 219780
I think it only checks while you're typing, and probably only when it saves a draft.

...it also saves undo history in much more granular steps, which is kind of annoying when you want to undo more than just a word. Like, it'll undo half a word, then the rest and the space before it, then half the next word. If I just wanted to undo half a word I'd use the backspace key. lol

Just noticed quoting highlighted text in a thread isn't a thing anymore. That's unfortunate. :/

I like the changes from what I've seen before, especially the floating-on-top status bar, so I don't have to scroll back up to check notifications.

My only complaint is that I really don't like the bar at the top scrolling with the page. That's a waste of space

Just goes to show how different people have different preferences. :p

I thought for a moment that you thought my eyes needed something bigger to read. :D ;)

Is there a setting to scale down the sizing of things, while inside a thread?

Everything looks nice. But, it feels a bit cramped on my 13 inch laptop with 720p screen.

I switched to 90% scaling and like it much better this way.

Uses way too much space, highly inefficient comapred to old design. Seriously everything has too much spacing, it spreads it out and look like shitty new reddit or a mobile site. Please no..
That said at least the theme is close.. I still like old [H] better for readability.
Other than that the functionality for adding images etc is better as well as snappier to use. But the spacing..

I do agree that the spacing is a bit messed up. There is a ton of wasted dead space everywhere, but that just appears to be the way UI design is going these days :(

If we could make the bars, and boxes smaller, and the icons and fonts that go inside them larger so that they properly utilize all that space, I think it would be a much more efficient user interface.

What font are you using? That looks a heck of a lot better than the tiny,cramped thing I see.

\View attachment 219766

Arial size 15, holdover from the old forum, I guess. And looking at the choices, I see that "strikethough" is on teh bar, which is good, wanted that easily reached in old forum.

Looks and works fine for me (although I haven't tried mobile yet). Close enough to the last look to keep the boomers happy, and new enough to placate the millennials. ;)

Now if only Microsoft could figure this one out.....

You do realize the baby boom generation consists of people born from 1946 to 1964, and thus are turning between 56 and 74 this year.

I have a sneaky suspicion that there arent too many boomers on here, or in any tech forum, and that the [H] community is overwhelmingly late GenX and Early Millennial.

I could be wrong though :p

You do realize the baby boom generation consists of people born from 1946 to 1964, and thus are turning between 56 and 74 this year.

I have a sneaky suspicion that there arent too many boomers on here, or in any tech forum, and that the [H] community is overwhelmingly late GenX and Early Millennial.

I am neither a boomer nor a millennial so, what about me? ;)

Nope, tried copy/paste, drag/drop & attach, none of them worked, just tried to upload a small-ish gif (800k) here and got the "oops, that not a gif" error. So obviously I'm being discriminated against. Pics are ok, tho.

It was just a snarky way of generalizing.....but it would be interesting to see the youngest and oldest members ages.

Gen X myself.

Arial size 15, holdover from the old forum, I guess.

Cool. I didn't know the forum let you do that (if it does) I resorted to using Stylish to increase the font size and a slightly more readable (to me) font.

Nope, tried copy/paste, drag/drop & attach, none of them worked, just tried to upload a small-ish gif (800k) here and got the "oops, that not a gif" error. So obviously I'm being discriminated against. Pics are ok, tho.

What browser and platform?

The only thing I have ran into is the Attach files button. Keep clicking it when trying to post a reply. Suggestion would be to move it to the bar above the post window, next to the Toggle BB code Gear. Plus take the red button away and make it gray background like the rest of the toolbar.

The only thing I have ran into is the Attach files button. Keep clicking it when trying to post a reply. Suggestion would be to move it to the bar above the post window, next to the Toggle BB code Gear. Plus take the red button away and make it gray background like the rest of the toolbar.

Yeah, I had a few annoyances at first, but it turns out that was mostly because I didn't know where they had moved things. Once I ahve figured out where everything is, it isn't bad.

For instance, I was initially bothered by not seeing the direct link to "watched threads" in the top menu bar. Turns out it just doesnt follow the new scrolling menu bar. Its up there on a grey submenu if you scroll to the top.

On the mobile version I keep accidentally tapping on "your threads" under the three bar menu, instead of "watched threads". Not quite sure why. May just be a matter of training muscle memory.

It's also right next to the "Insert quotes button"... Don't know if it is possible to move it, but if it is, please do :)
1580505384503.png

Whelp, chrome is a no-go, too for gifs for me.
1580505496742.png

I'm beginning to think this new package doesn't like me.

Maybe, name too long? Nope, not that, either.

Win 10, firefox 72.0.1 haven't tried chrome or ie11 edge, yet, I'll try those after this post.

Well, there goes my theory that you were using something exotic.

Next theory is that it is the particular gif you are trying to add that is causing the problem. Have you tried any others? Maybe download the peanut butter jelly time one I used above and see if you can upload that.

Maybe gif's have a small size limit to prevent positing of gif videos or something like that.

Edge doesn't work, either. I vote we go back to the old package...……………...

Back