Neverwinter MMO, 100% FREE! :)

It's nothing revolutionary by any means, but the combat sure is different enough to be extremely enjoyable, especially as a caster.

Not to knock the game too much, because I do enjoy it, but I have to ask; To everyone saying the combat is "different, so it's fun"...what other MMO's have you played? Anything not tab-targeting based? I recently got back into Tera because this game reminded me how good Tera's combat was(and still is), so I imagine if you enjoy the combat in this game you'll like the combat in Tera a lot more(maybe not, but it's a lot more fluid, the controls feel better, etc). The one thing Neverwinter has over Tera, IMO, is the character progression. I feel like I could build my Cleric at least a couple different ways and end up with very different characters at max level. In Tera, any two max-level slayers(or any other class, fresh level 60's) are going to be pretty much identical(down to wearing all the same gear and everything).
 
Played LITERALLY all day yesterday (with a few breaks in between), but it was possibly one of the most fun experiences I've had in a long time. Sure I'm kind of burnt out on MMOs in a way, but there's something about this that I can't quite put my finger on. The combat's just damn fun.

Was playing with a buddy the entire way through, both as control wizards, and it's just excellent fun laying the smack down on people. The PvP was fun, and the dungeons kick ass. Like I said, can't really explain why it's so fun when it's basically the same MMO formula, but the combat definitely stands out as purely killer. There also appears to be a ton to do in terms of crafting and side missions (player created). All of this for basically free? Can't beat that.

I realize I'm overhyping it to a degree, but that's just my two cents. I've basically forgotten about my other backlog games heh. If anyone wants to join us, we're on the "Dragon" server. Whisper Ottomobile@bih115.



Actually there is an anisotropic option, it's in the advanced section. If you've got a halfway decent computer the slider should already be at max (16x). There's a massive amount of video settings, great news for us.

Sounds like you got a lot deeper than I did on this but I do agree that there is an intangible element to this that I like. I can remember thinking the same about GW2 though. :)

I also agree with flosser, there are a few corney elements to the game that need refinement, not beta bugs but core design, but for what it is I like it!

I would love to find a good F2P that I actually WANT to log into once in a while. Maybe tihs is it.
 
Not to knock the game too much, because I do enjoy it, but I have to ask; To everyone saying the combat is "different, so it's fun"...what other MMO's have you played? Anything not tab-targeting based? I recently got back into Tera because this game reminded me how good Tera's combat was(and still is), so I imagine if you enjoy the combat in this game you'll like the combat in Tera a lot more(maybe not, but it's a lot more fluid, the controls feel better, etc). The one thing Neverwinter has over Tera, IMO, is the character progression. I feel like I could build my Cleric at least a couple different ways and end up with very different characters at max level. In Tera, any two max-level slayers(or any other class, fresh level 60's) are going to be pretty much identical(down to wearing all the same gear and everything).

It's very similar to that, which is why I started off by saying it's nothing revolutionary. I'd agree, if you really enjoy character progression and tons of ways to add stat points/feat points, you'll like this. Especially also, if you enjoy the DnD system.

Sounds like you got a lot deeper than I did on this but I do agree that there is an intangible element to this that I like. I can remember thinking the same about GW2 though. :)

I also agree with flosser, there are a few corney elements to the game that need refinement, not beta bugs but core design, but for what it is I like it!

I would love to find a good F2P that I actually WANT to log into once in a while. Maybe tihs is it.

I agree, there is something there, but it's tough to point out. It's a great package, for a game that basically still has a long way to go. GW2 was great (in my mind), but it WAS the same ol' same ol' when you really dig down. All I can say is that I was never this excited about GW2 (or most of my other MMO's), and that's saying a lot.
 
It's very similar to that, which is why I started off by saying it's nothing revolutionary. I'd agree, if you really enjoy character progression and tons of ways to add stat points/feat points, you'll like this. Especially also, if you enjoy the DnD system.

Yeah, like I said I wasn't pointing out Tera as a knock against this game or anything, I'm just surprised that it seems like a lot of people really like the combat in this game and probably haven't tried Tera at all. They're both good games but I think which one you'll like more comes down to two things; lore preference, and whether you prefer better character progression or better gameplay feel/combat.

I already have 3 max-level characters in Tera so going back to it to level another character with a friend is less exciting for me than this game is, just because this game is new and I know how little Tera offers in terms of customization regarding your character's progression. I'm going to see if I can convince him to play some more Neverwinter, but if he bails completely I'll just play it on my own :D
 
My son and I picked up this game over the weekend and we were hooked from the first minute. We played nearly most of the weekend, he is playing a tank and I'm a healer. I can see a few evenings lost to this game for sure. I'm still not sure what all of the different currencies are for yet, and working on my mailsmith crafting...
 
This game has something about it, for sure. Hell wouldn't be playing it otherwise (my first mmo? lol) and while I still mess around in Diablo 3 from time to time it amazes me that I've had such consistently excellent drops in this. It is far more incentive for me to keep playing than how Blizzard slaps you in the face for spending time with Diablo 3, like some twisted, abusive girlfriend that won't put out.

I'm at the graveyards right now and have done a number of dungeons with groups that have been fun as hell. The stories and combat are fun, the foundry is an excellent idea and probably the best part is everything is (or at least seems) within reach. That last bit might be the most crucial aspect of being able to enjoy these types of games to me.
 
this game do i dare say has the best ambient sound in any game ive ever played
 
this game do i dare say has the best ambient sound in any game ive ever played

It's pretty damn epic with a good sound card and some solid cans. I'm using Sennheiser 558's and it's very immersive.
 
;)

It's nothing revolutionary by any means, but the combat sure is different enough to be extremely enjoyable, especially as a caster. Cleric's (healers) seem like a ton of fun, and are very similar to how Priests played in WoW, which is a great playstyle if you've ever had a chance to experience that, for all those healer fanatics.

After playing a priest in WoW for years, through multiple expansions... this is fantastic news. Now if i wasn't deployed I could get in on some of this action :( still 3 months left
 
Too bad the character animations ruin that immersion :(

They're really not bad at all...don't think of it as a game trying to be fully realistic. There's nothing that can be enjoyable in that aspect if there's so many things to nit pick on when it comes to realism.
 
Too bad the character animations ruin that immersion :(

It's not so much the technical quality of the animations as much as the "Street Fighter"-ish lack of "in-between" frames that bugs me a little. Like when you swing a sword, there is one frame with your sword cocked, and then the next frame you've already swung. Why aren't there any frames of you actually swinging the sword and hitting the enemy? This style works better with sprites IMO.
 
The ambient sounds in dungeons, etc is great.
However the repeitive sounds, such as your characters footsteps, are terrible. It's like not even playing in-step with your characters movement, it sounds out o fsync and it doens't change really based on terrain, etc. It'd be nice if they had footsteps that weren't just two repeated notes over and over and over and change ddepending on the terrain you are in .

Horses are the same way, no change if you are walking on stone or grass, it sounds the same.

Plus you hear this a lot more then the ambient sounds in dungeons, so I wish they'd make it better.
 
more info please

Normal
off_zps09980396.jpg



SweetFX
on_zpse4dd7f78.jpg



Suits my tastes. The default game has this "foggy" look. I'm sure many people will prefer the default though. Installing/removing SweetFX takes 5 seconds (no FPS drop) so it's no big deal to try it - let me know if you want my settings .ini.
 
Normal



Suits my tastes. The default game has this "foggy" look. I'm sure many people will prefer the default though. Installing/removing SweetFX takes 5 seconds (no FPS drop) so it's no big deal to try it - let me know if you want my settings .ini.

where do i get it?
 
@Filter

Download here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/sweetfx_shader_suite_download.html

Unzip and copy files to folder containing GameClient.exe

Replace the default SweetFX_settings.txt with mine from: http://pastebin.com/i5XQAYVL

Or just pick your own settings. The settings file is self-explanatory.

Run game normally, hit Scroll Lock to turn the effect on and off.

Only works if Neverwinter is running in d3d9 mode. If you've changed it to d3d11 in the troubleshooting menu don't use this (or wait for v1.5).
 
Is there an [H] guild? I'm on Beholder and would love to chat with a few guys from [H]
 
Well I dl this last night to see how it was.
The first thing I made was a templar/paladin, whatever they call them and its kinda knunky in combat but ok, defense was less than spectacular. I have not found out the timing for blocks so spent a lot of time on my back on the little mini bosses I have fought.
So I made a rogue and expected to be swinging and swinging to kill anything. Not so he kicked some ass, pretty good on the evasion keys, but the game lags some and key presses get lost.
5 second stealth is a joke, but the one attack I have while stealthed can kill anything less than a boss yep they didn't gemp them to hell like wow, wait till a week after pvp starts they will get nerfed to the ground.


Overall for free its not bad, and since you can buy your gear from the devs with the in game currency they sell I guess its sort of a pay to win game ???
 
Group pvp at low levels was fun. You have to be level 10 to go. I guess I'll level a little more today. :)
 
So are they still doing a wipe at release? If so we should all decide on a server to roll on and create a H guild.
 
No. There's no wipe. It's a soft release, not a beta. It'll continue once that period's over, and you'll keep everything. Whatever you make now, is permanent.
 
The game is certainly fun, at least for leveling, but from what I read, I will be dropping it when I hit 60 and check out the normal dungeons, a shame it's "f2p".
 
a shame it's "f2p".

huh ?



will there be dedicated healers and tanks in dungeons?
Sure as hell hope its not like gw2...biggest pos to hit in a LONG TIME
 
May as well start up a [H] group, loggahead and I are on beholder.

You bitch, get on Dragon. I said this already...

a shame it's "f2p".

huh ?



will there be dedicated healers and tanks in dungeons?
Sure as hell hope its not like gw2...biggest pos to hit in a LONG TIME

There's a tank role, and a very good healer role.
 
thanks for the info ToE

I are on dragon but I is just testing.
If I get time I want to try caster next.
is bank usable to trade between your chrs?

I found 3 caster items on my rogue....NOW did my rogue find anything rogely lol
HELL NO

NO I didnt say rouge
 
Back
Top