Neverwinter MMO, 100% FREE! :)

FrEaKy

[H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy
TotalBuscut has a nice WTF is? found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

This will most definitely be my next MMO to mess with, its free, and there doesn't look to be a big micro-transaction system, at all!

Astral diamonds is the currency system which you can get from quests which is their form of credits, so you can actually GET them from quests. They do use Cryptic points (it is a Cryptic game after all). Not 100% sure what kind of items you will be able to purchase with the Cryptic points (in game, real money, currency).

The game is SOLO friendly. There are some 5 man dungeons, etc etc, but it is SOLO friendly.

Cryptic worked really hard with Wizards of the Coast to create a as close to D&D paper feel as possible, so this is a D&D game that is as close to the lore system as possible as far as a computer game goes.

Common sense item pick up, gold is picked up as soon as you walk over it, pots, etc etc, but large items need to actually be clicked on to pick up, which is great.

So, in other words, imma be playen this!

Is this the game selling $200 founder packs with an armored spider mount?

Is this the game selling $200 founder packs with an armored spider mount?

yes.

man i want that game.

There actually is some really cool stuff for the D&D/Salvatore fan in you in the 200$ pack. Too bad i wouldnt consider spending that much.

yes.

man i want that game.

There actually is some really cool stuff for the D&D/Salvatore fan in you in the 200$ pack. Too bad i wouldnt consider spending that much.

Cryptic has done this with a lot of games, doing a "premium, lifetime member subscription" system, they did this with STO where you got a bunch of cool stuff, and they gave you Zen (now Cryptic points) each month, so its not bad.

I played a pre alpha version of this at GENCON last year. It looked ok, it will be interesting what it looks like once it hits beta.

I have a couple beta cards lying around somewhere.

yes.

man i want that game.

Yeah the video looks pretty cool. I would never spend that much either, especially on a game with no demo or reviews or anything, but wow that spider mount looked B/A!!! :p

Nothing is free. Free mmo's are able to stay in business because of P2W systems. Hell even pay MMO's have P2W systems. Eventually people will get tired of playing games where other players can easily spend big bucks to get ahead, and they will want more subscription MMO's with no micro transactions. Ebb and flow

If I were a MMO CEO I'd want to do a subscription service with no micro-transactions. You could easily have 400-500k subscribers and still make a nice profit if you are not some bloated company like 38 studios.

Lifetime of the MMO for $200 I'm ok with as it usually is good value. It's Crypic I'd be apprehensive about.

Lifetime of the MMO for $200 I'm ok with as it usually is good value. It's Crypic I'd be apprehensive about.

True, but the guys who have been working on this game, even though they are from Cryptic have ONLY been focusing on THIS GAME. If they worked with WotC and stayed true to the lore as much as possible, I can see this worth being a $200 sub from me, at least a $60 for the champion edition.

There is also a $20 starter edition, which gives you some stuff. And of course there's the 100% free edition. Now also, what I know of Cryptic games (at least what they did in STO) is you can at least trade in game items for Cryptic points, so you can get the items everyone else bought and never spent a penny.

Nothing is free. Free mmo's are able to stay in business because of P2W systems. Hell even pay MMO's have P2W systems. Eventually people will get tired of playing games where other players can easily spend big bucks to get ahead, and they will want more subscription MMO's with no micro transactions. Ebb and flow

If I were a MMO CEO I'd want to do a subscription service with no micro-transactions. You could easily have 400-500k subscribers and still make a nice profit if you are not some bloated company like 38 studios.

Totally agreed... microtransactions and pay-to-win suck for both gameplay and cost to be competitive. I liked older models where it was a flat sub and you bought a boxed expansion a year, year and a half apart with tons of new goodies in it. All-inclusive subs ftw.

It looks interesting. I will have to keep my eyes out for beta key giveaways.

Hopefully they can pull off their ideas and the free to play version has plenty of content unlike most F2P MMOs which really water down the content unless you pay extra.

since its free ill prob try it, ive played all the other neverwinter nights games and enjoy D&D type systems.

honestly wish there were more D&D rule set games out there.

since its free ill prob try it, ive played all the other neverwinter nights games and enjoy D&D type systems.

honestly wish there were more D&D rule set games out there.

As do I, but this is thankfully off the best storyline in a D&D game in the Neverwinter series, so I know they have plenty to work with!

I'm curious as to if the founder pack items will be founder-exclusive or all/some of these will be available to cash shop purchasers after the fact. I'd be more interested in purchasing the $200 pack if I knew that after the game launched these items would no longer be available. Sure, the estimated "value" of the pack is a lot higher than $200 but I still like some exclusivity. Also, with items of that level of power you can tell this is going to be a P2W model if they have purchasable items that come in that pack like the instant rare level 60 item. If they are going to go fully F2P then they are probably thinking they will have to put some awesome stuff on their cash marketplace to keep the game running, not just cosmetic fluff. Being able to purchase those kinds of items on a whim is just too EZ-mode, hope they don't go that route.

I'm interested. I'm a long-time D&D'er and I love big open RPG's, but just hate the whole "MMO experience." This seems like it might finally be what can get me to cross that bridge.

To add to my last post, it looks like you will be able to trade currencies within the game. "Astral diamonds" will be an in-game currency that you can trade for micro-transaction points. Thus, Cryptic is saying you can get "anything" in the game just from playing, without ever actually spending a dime of real money, via farming these astral diamonds and trading them, you can purchase anything available via the cash-shop without actually spending cash. Obviously this will be a more time consuming method, but it;s nice they have this option for people who don't want to spend their hard earned cash, but who also don't want to feel gimped or lesser than other players who do spend RL money.

I'm curious as to if the founder pack items will be founder-exclusive or all/some of these will be available to cash shop purchasers after the fact. I'd be more interested in purchasing the $200 pack if I knew that after the game launched these items would no longer be available. Sure, the estimated "value" of the pack is a lot higher than $200 but I still like some exclusivity. Also, with items of that level of power you can tell this is going to be a P2W model if they have purchasable items that come in that pack like the instant rare level 60 item. If they are going to go fully F2P then they are probably thinking they will have to put some awesome stuff on their cash marketplace to keep the game running, not just cosmetic fluff. Being able to purchase those kinds of items on a whim is just too EZ-mode, hope they don't go that route.

Cryptic offered a bunch of "exclusive" items for Star Trek Online lifetime subscribers. Not even a month after launch those items were in the cash shop. So I wouldn't count on the founder items being exclusive, even if Cryptic claims they are.

Cryptic offered a bunch of "exclusive" items for Star Trek Online lifetime subscribers. Not even a month after launch those items were in the cash shop. So I wouldn't count on the founder items being exclusive, even if Cryptic claims they are.

Prolly right. I heard about that, but forgot. I'm sure the model of the game will be: "Free2Grind, Pay4Fun"

Yeah, you can grind to get the currency to exchange for micro-transaction currency aka "Zen" but it will probably take you a zillion hours vs. just pouring some real cash into it, which wears players down over time. Also the game suffers from being a D&D title but having no ties to D&D beyond the lore.

i normally think this is crap but i watched a bunch of videos yesterday and did some research this actually looks quite promising and fun. It was enough to sucker me into the $59.99 guardian founders pack.. O well, i really been looking for something New and this very well could be it.. Even if I say get 3 months of enjoyment its well worth 59.99 as some xbox games i play im done with in about 2 weeks for 59.99...

woohoo! just got a beta invite for the weekend, anyone else?

I bought the Guardian pack so yeah I'm in all the betas, this will be my first this friday.. hopefully its a good game or im out 59.99 $ :(

However not so sure ill get much playing time at all this weekend, It's my first Opening Drag Race of 2013 schedule.

If anybody has a beta key they aren't going to use I would be happy to take it off your hands.:)

Looks like a dumbed down version of DDO, which is already free to play and download

Been playing the beta for a couple of hours. It is not reminiscent of D&D in any way whatsoever. It's closed world, too, so I wouldn't even consider it an MMO. Put it in the ARPG category and you might be less disappointed. Definitely won't be buying a founders package with this thing. It's a dungeon runner, plain and simple. Get quests from the main hub, go to X location dungeon, enter, clear dungeon, turn in for reward, NEXT. You also have events that pop up on your sidebar ever so often to let you join up and do PvP or group dungeons. Haven't looked at the Foundry yet.

Of course the first time I get to play today they take the server down within 45 minutes of me logging in...it was fun though while I was in, playing a rogue-trickster midget is a blast

Of course the first time I get to play today they take the server down within 45 minutes of me logging in...it was fun though while I was in, playing a rogue-trickster midget is a blast

I don't doubt the short term enjoyment but I'm not seeing longevity out of this game (for me at least). It's really just the combination of the closed word design and the lack of classes and customization to the classes. Luckily, again, its F2P, so no investment will be involved. I'm sure I will play it at launch, I just don't think I will stick around too long.

It really is hard for me to force my self to play another Elvs and orcs type game.

I HIGHLY suggest anyone interested in this game do a little research on the history of STO, and you will probably get a pretty realistic picture of what your experience with NWN online will be.

i played a guardian warrior to level 13 and a rogue to level 9.

didnt have a ton of time to play i was not blown away by the game but i did enjoy my time my time playing and it enjoyed some of its charm. it has to me an old school feel with some of the questing. I did enjoy the rogue a lot more than the guardian, guardian feels a bit stiff and under powered.

I'm already invested $60 so lol looks like ill be playing a Half-Orc rogue awhile when it releases to get my money worth. I will say the Character models arent great but the damn Background and the actual places u visit are really nice looking.

Back