Neverwinter MMO, 100% FREE! :)

I played to max level, crawled dungeons, crafted my butt off, and then uninstalled it about 30 minutes ago. I understand that there are plenty of people who love it; I just don't think it's a completed game.

No it isn't. No MMO ever is or ever claims to be. I know what your saying though. The journey to end game is way to fast even for me, I'm already working on a second character and just doing PvP with him. Waiting to see how Gauntlgrym is and will reevaluate the game then.

Personally been playing the New Brazil mod for Fallout. What a great game. Over 500 hours in the series, no MMO except AC, DAoC and WoW have given me that kind of playtime.

Anyone else see a drastic reduction of players on their server? Before when I would log in I would see tons of players everywhere, now it seems I see only a few here and there.

I keep logs of all the players that sit inside neverwinter and on dragon the amount of people who run last the light post in the NE corner of the town square has not decreased on dragon.

Tinkered with this over the weekend. I don't mind it, although performance in town is really spotty. I have very little MMO experience. Is that normal (just because of all of the other people) or is that something else?

Tinkered with this over the weekend. I don't mind it, although performance in town is really spotty. I have very little MMO experience. Is that normal (just because of all of the other people) or is that something else?

Yes and No. With your rig, you should be blasting away at the game on max settings. There were times in other MMOs where internet-based lag was a culprit, but haven't seen that in this yet really.

Yes and No. With your rig, you should be blasting away at the game on max settings. There were times in other MMOs where internet-based lag was a culprit, but haven't seen that in this yet really.

Yeah, I maxed everything in the opening areas and encountered a few other players. Once I hit Neverwinter, the game would pause here and there while people were popping in and out. Granted I was playing on a Saturday afternoon, so I assume it was a pretty popular time to play. I'll have to play some more this week. So far I'm having fun.

How flexible is character development? I made it to level 4, but thus far everything seemed to be chosen for me. Is that just the beta's structure or is it supposed to be like that? D&D levels used to be more or less "capped" in the 20's and 30's. Is that no longer true or do you really see the quick leveling cool off soon?

Yeah, I maxed everything in the opening areas and encountered a few other players. Once I hit Neverwinter, the game would pause here and there while people were popping in and out. Granted I was playing on a Saturday afternoon, so I assume it was a pretty popular time to play. I'll have to play some more this week. So far I'm having fun.

How flexible is character development? I made it to level 4, but thus far everything seemed to be chosen for me. Is that just the beta's structure or is it supposed to be like that? D&D levels used to be more or less "capped" in the 20's and 30's. Is that no longer true or do you really see the quick leveling cool off soon?

If you were playing this last weekend, there was a lot going on. The big content patch had just got propped and there are some end-of-beta events going on right now. Likely to be a burst in player numbers due to that. They did improve the performance of Protector's Enclave, I noticed a nice upswing in performance since that big content patch.

The character development gets MUCH better once you're out of the "tutorial", so to speak. The game chooses for you for the first 5 levels, then you get to do the rest, there's a good deal of customization.

I sent you a friend request BiH115. Could I get an invite into the guild? Krayzen@nezark

Thanks

Anyone else see a drastic reduction of players on their server? Before when I would log in I would see tons of players everywhere, now it seems I see only a few here and there.

I have.

Even with our guild members too, a large portion of the people who were on Dragon, either stopped playing or left because there were not enough of the [H] members on.

Ive been playing through with my rogue, hit level 58, 99% of the time, no one from the guild has been on.

Im on dragon. My friends and I took a break, and havent beenn back much since. Maybe once a week for a few hours.

Im on Dragon. Have a 60 TR and 53 DC.

Im in a guild called "Children of the Light".

We have 140 total members, some are alts of course, but currently have around 30 level 60 active characters. We usually have at least 5 people on at all times. Its a casual guild with talented players.

We do mostly premade pvp and dungeons. If there is anyone on Dragon interested in joining, you can message me.

We plan on doing alot of the new 20 man content.

Ztrain@bhope1982
Zion@bhope1982

Im on Dragon. Have a 60 TR and 53 DC.

Im in a guild called "Children of the Light".

We have 140 total members, some are alts of course, but currently have around 30 level 60 active characters. We usually have at least 5 people on at all times. Its a casual guild with talented players.

We do mostly premade pvp and dungeons. If there is anyone on Dragon interested in joining, you can message me.

We plan on doing alot of the new 20 man content.

Ztrain@bhope1982
Zion@bhope1982

I will hit you up on that

Sylvania@jaredsan

I have.

Even with our guild members too, a large portion of the people who were on Dragon, either stopped playing or left because there were not enough of the [H] members on.

Ive been playing through with my rogue, hit level 58, 99% of the time, no one from the guild has been on.

So what's the deal? i haven't tried this game (mainly because I don't need another time sink, atm), so what would you attribute the loss of players to?

So what's the deal? i haven't tried this game (mainly because I don't need another time sink, atm), so what would you attribute the loss of players to?

I've been crazy busy and my other buddy quit unfortunately due to lack of interest. :(

I've been crazy busy and my other buddy quit unfortunately due to lack of interest. :(

Would he have had lack of interest in WoW?

From what i've read in this thread this neverwinder MMO has everything that WoW offered, and more....

Downloaded it yesterday, got a 1x wizard and rogue atm. Seems pretty fun. I'll definitely keep playing it for a while and see if I can get into it. But in the end, as with almost every other MMORPG, my interest will stop after the pve gets boring and the game fails to tie the pvp together with the pve in some interesting manner.

Anyone got a guild I can join? Might be more fun than running around alone :)

Build quality wise - I would have expected more from a 2013 game, the texture quality and overall graphics is pretty sub par and some things give it a bit of a 'cheap' feel - for example

http://i.imgur.com/Yi6fh7k.png

Can't shoot through there, because "there is a wall in the way" (any obstacle is treated as a solid wall, even though visually there is a clear line of sight to the enemy)

Oh, that was on windowed, opening quest so I didn't have a chance to mess around with settings yet. I put my specs in the signature if you really want to know

My buddy and I are installing. I played a few minutes in beta but that's it.

Anyway. We like to play classes that compliment each other and are in demand. Like if this was WoW we'd play a tank and a healer. Does this follow the classic fantasy mmo classes? Looking for recommendations on what we should pick.

Haven't played any other MMO's before, but I'm having fun with this. Seems like the social stuff is really only optional, which I appreciate.
Put in a few hours this morning and had a genuinely good time. The user-made quests are fun.
Fans of Dragon Age will probably like it. It doesn't quite feel like the D&D I know (2nd and 3rd edition - never messed with anything later), but is closer to Dragon Age.

My buddy and I are installing. I played a few minutes in beta but that's it.

Anyway. We like to play classes that compliment each other and are in demand. Like if this was WoW we'd play a tank and a healer. Does this follow the classic fantasy mmo classes? Looking for recommendations on what we should pick.

PvE is easy peasy no need for tank healer combo. You will get choice of companions at level 16 which you can choose clerics for a companion. CW are great for PvE and PvP and would complement each other in a dual role, TR are amazing for DPS, GF are one of the best PvP classes and can solo content like a beast. The only time I died in PvE was when I was on auto run and ran into a spiked pit. I hate the GWF but there are those who swear they are beastly ( i just felt their cooldowns were too long in both PvP and PvE)

Oh, that was on windowed, opening quest so I didn't have a chance to mess around with settings yet. I put my specs in the signature if you really want to know

Turn on DX11 and adjust your settings accordingly. The game is beautiful.

PvE is easy peasy no need for tank healer combo. You will get choice of companions at level 16 which you can choose clerics for a companion. CW are great for PvE and PvP and would complement each other in a dual role, TR are amazing for DPS, GF are one of the best PvP classes and can solo content like a beast. The only time I died in PvE was when I was on auto run and ran into a spiked pit. I hate the GWF but there are those who swear they are beastly ( i just felt their cooldowns were too long in both PvP and PvE)

I'll do the GF then. I tend to play human with the DnD ruleset because I'm a feat whore. Do you thiink that will work out for me or would you recommend something else?

Humans are generally the most well rounded because of the extra feats. In the end other variables generally even things out but a human GF works very well and won't disappoint.

Turn on DX11 and adjust your settings accordingly. The game is beautiful.

It's not ugly by any stretch, but it pales in comparison to something like GW2. I guess that's also partially because the landscapes, at least so far, are all very dark and grim and kind of monotonic.. Nothing like the beautiful jungles and tundras that you saw in GW2

Anyway, I tried to solo cloak tower at lvl 16 w/ rogue. Did fine until I got to the first miniboss. Died twice, then gave up and came back with a party :D

At what point is there incentive to pay for things? Those diamonds that you can use in the auction are the only things I've seen so far. I'm trying to figure out how this stays in business before committing too much time to it!

I'm now at level 20 and the gear I'm finding all seems to have those little gem slots...which in turn seem to require diamonds to utilize. Ditto with the auction house and the mount stuff. Nothing feels full-on necessary thus far, though.
While a little light on plot, this game is otherwise what Dragon Age 2 should have been.

I just started playing this weekend. is there any end game or point to keep playing besides the story, like raids/high lvl pvp.

i am lvl 23 right now and while i am having fun it just seems that the world is tiny or just very empty.

I'm at level 20 and I've only been to 4 of the different main hubs...and there are something like 10 of them thus far. Plus most of the missions seem to take place within certain (generally inaccessible) sections of the different maps.
It definitely isn't gigantic, but I can't help but keep making Dragon Age comparisons. At least on paper it's as long as both of those games.

I'm now at level 20 and the gear I'm finding all seems to have those little gem slots...which in turn seem to require diamonds to utilize. Ditto with the auction house and the mount stuff. Nothing feels full-on necessary thus far, though.
While a little light on plot, this game is otherwise what Dragon Age 2 should have been.

Enchantments on gear just require those gems or whatever that you get from.. mobs, or something. dunno. By the time I was lvl 20 I had pleanty of them in my inventory. The astral diamonds are required only to REMOVE enchantments from an item, which for the most part you shouldn't have to do

Anyway, the diamonds can be acquired by playing, so not a big issue so far.

Just tried pvp, domination or whatever, seems fun but the maps are kind of linear and boring.. Both teams have a base tower, and there's one in the middle - so you just run down a corridor until you hit enemies. Not much thought that has to go into that. Hoping there are maps down the line that actually have multiple towers that you have to hold at the same time.

I did one PVP game and it was okay, but nothing I'd do again. It's not really why I'd play a game like this anyway.

So, this being my first Free-To-Play game...should I be concerned that they'll randomly shut this down in the near future? With so few reasons to pay, how do games like this stay afloat? Am I crazy and are there boatloads of people buying up diamonds like there's no tomorrow? I almost want to give them some money for all of this, but I'm not sure about this whole system.

I'd say there are probably pleanty of people that are willing to pay for stuff. First of all, endgame and earlygame content is completely different. So as a level 20, you would have no idea how incentivized players are to pay at lvl 60 (neither do I).

That being said, look at a game like League of Legends and you see Riot getting rich out of their asses from players paying for just skins. Now look at this game and you get actual ingame benefits for paying.

I'm continuing to make progress, and I see how the game works at this point.
Seems like the head of the guards sends you to the different areas around Neverwinter 1 at a time to deal with a series of missions and the eventual bosses of those areas.
While at first the game always seemed to drop appropriate gear for me, now it always seems to drop stuff 1 to 2 levels higher...even if I'm cruising through the enemies in a given area.
I'm a Thief with a cleric follower, and that seems to be pretty effective. I deal pretty good damage while she heals me. I only have 1 attack for dealing with multiple enemies, but so far that hasn't been too much of a problem. I'm noticing that lots of players will do missions with others without actually forming a party...you just follow along with a couple other people as needed.

I'm continuing to make progress, and I see how the game works at this point.
Seems like the head of the guards sends you to the different areas around Neverwinter 1 at a time to deal with a series of missions and the eventual bosses of those areas.
While at first the game always seemed to drop appropriate gear for me, now it always seems to drop stuff 1 to 2 levels higher...even if I'm cruising through the enemies in a given area.
I'm a Thief with a cleric follower, and that seems to be pretty effective. I deal pretty good damage while she heals me. I only have 1 attack for dealing with multiple enemies, but so far that hasn't been too much of a problem. I'm noticing that lots of players will do missions with others without actually forming a party...you just follow along with a couple other people as needed.

I agree with whoever said the game is pretty light on the story.. For the most part it's just a case of "this faction is trying to destroy neverwinter, find out about them and destroy them". You do that, and then another faction comes along that's trying to do the same thing. I kinda got bored and stopped reading the quest descriptions. Probably at higher levels it gets a bit more interesting.

Also a thief here, and I prefer the wizard follower, because he makes up for you not having any AoE spells. For the most part you can rely on your stealth to not take damage, or use a few potions which just come from monster drops anyway, so the healing isn't all that necessary. I'm level 31 and have died twice so far, once was from falling to death.

I didn't get to play as much since I was tinkering with Windows 8.1, but the patch they released on Tuesday night seemed to have a fair number of performance enhancements. Areas that used to bog down a bit are smoother.

Anyone know what DX11 mode actually does for the game...other than create an instant 10-20% performance hit? I'm guessing they're using fog and particle effects (both notorious performance hogs with minimal benefits) - but are there any other differences?

Got in a lot more playtime this weekend. I'm now at Level 42 and in the floating island area.
There’s definitely a pretty discernible pattern to how each area works, but I’m having fun with it. In general, the game is fairly easy, although I found the swamp/zombie level to be a total beast with my Thief main and Cleric helper. Apparently “turn undead” doesn’t seem to have been implemented, and neither of us have very many AOE attacks. Still, subsequent levels are back to being pretty straightforward.
I wish they had some more variety to the gear you find. Pretty much everything my Thief can get looks just like the stuff I just had for the past 40 levels…and no matter what I always look like some pseudo steampunk weirdo. Some different outfits, masks, weapons, etc. would have been nice.

Back