Network pics thread

BTW found a new switch to replace my SD2016 who is slowly dying ports by ports !!

Last edited:
This is how i did mine. Had 3 cables run (one on each floor) and i had to cut a dent on the bracket to make sure the excess cable can be hidden.

5.jpg

Is there enough space inside that bracket for a recessed single-gang box, like this? Coupling one with a keystone jack+faceplate and using a really short cable (Monoprice has 6" ones) could work really well.

Even using just an empty single-gang box from the local hardware store might work well enough to provide space to hide the cable in.

I was going to set a static IP on it but for some reason the software refuses to find it now.

I had a similar issue setting mine up. The Unifi forum recommended having the AP and my PC on the same switch and VPN during the setup procedure. Fixed the problem for me.

I am strongly considering buying a couple Unifi APs for the house. Really just want a new toy to mess with :)

they are still working out kinks of the L3 adoption/locate stuff with the unifi's

you need to be atlesat 2.2.5 to have a prayer of it working

I would not be doing anything fancy, just web browsing/email from laptops/iPhones/iPad.
The coverage on my Linksys router stinks so I would consider putting one AP in the basement and one AP on the second floor.

Is there enough space inside that bracket for a recessed single-gang box, like this? Coupling one with a keystone jack+faceplate and using a really short cable (Monoprice has 6" ones) could work really well.

Even using just an empty single-gang box from the local hardware store might work well enough to provide space to hide the cable in.

During Construction i asked contractor to install a regular ceiling junction box so i can terminate with a Panduit mini-jack and roll the excess of cable in it using a 6in patch cord. Look like the message was not understand very well by their workers. At least i still have some excess slack i pushed back it the hole. That's the consequence of being always on the road for the job and away from everything you own...

was it under the hotel bed ?

Kind of... i think i was in Quality Inn in Richmond BC that day when i received it

During Construction i asked contractor to install a regular ceiling junction box so i can terminate with a Panduit mini-jack and roll the excess of cable in it using a 6in patch cord. Look like the message was not understand very well by their workers. At least i still have some excess slack i pushed back it the hole. That's the consequence of being always on the road for the job and away from everything you own...

Kind of... i think i was in Quality Inn in Richmond BC that day when i received it

yup know where you are, stayed there before. Just down the street from my work's head office :) Did you atleast walk over to future active ?

I had a similar issue setting mine up. The Unifi forum recommended having the AP and my PC on the same switch and VPN during the setup procedure. Fixed the problem for me.

Yeah seems connecting the laptop to the physical network was able to find it. I ended up just going by mac anyway, but at least now I can see status info.

Eventually I want to setup a controller VM so I can use some of the advanced features but my current server only has one ethernet port so I can't make a VM and bridge it to the other network. One thing I really want to add is brute force protection for the password, is there a way to do that? Failing that I can just make sure everything on my network is password protected and has brute force protection there so if by chance someone manages to guess their way in, they wont be able to access much. I doubt they'll guess, but I just like the extra security of brute force protection.

Yeah seems connecting the laptop to the physical network was able to find it. I ended up just going by mac anyway, but at least now I can see status info.

Eventually I want to setup a controller VM so I can use some of the advanced features but my current server only has one ethernet port so I can't make a VM and bridge it to the other network. One thing I really want to add is brute force protection for the password, is there a way to do that? Failing that I can just make sure everything on my network is password protected and has brute force protection there so if by chance someone manages to guess their way in, they wont be able to access much. I doubt they'll guess, but I just like the extra security of brute force protection.

I setup one client that was so anal about wifi security, we did wpa2 & ssl vpn. if they got onto the wifi, they wouldn't be able to go anywhere. The person connecting to the wifi got connected with password, then had to launch the ssl vpn client. worked well too..

DELL-PowerConnect-5324-24port-Gigabit-Managed-Switch
Gigabit AND managed! At lest let's hope there's not a catch, but I was willing to pay that even for unmanaged so if worse comes to worse it's not managed it's still a half decent deal.

Can also get rid of the router acting as switch, and the two other separate switches. Yeah it's a mess back there.

I scored a similar deal off of eBay for the very same switch. It's an awesome switch and does VLANs, but it doesn't do inter VLAN routing, so you'll still need your router to route between them.

I have mine set up with:

VLAN 1: (4 ports) external, public IP network
VLAN 10: internal (Home) network
VLAN 20: internal (test) network
VLAN 99: iSCSI network

And have a Sonicwall firewall between VLAN 1 and 10, and a Linksys WRT54G between VLAN 1 and 20.

The switch is rock solid but the fan is loud, but I have it in my rack in my tool room so it's not a bother.

Speaking of my tool room, look what is currently in there:

parts.jpg

Linksys WRT54G
2 Cisco AiroNet 1100 WAPs
Whitebox quad-core Athlon X4 workstation
3 Dell EPS-470 external power supplies for PoE PowerConnect switches
2 Cisco 1941 Routers with GigE HWICs
2 Dell PowerConnect 6248P Layer 3 managed PoE switches
3 Dell R200 Servers (Quad-Core Xeon, 4GB RAM, 2 cabled 500gb SATA drives in RAID-1)

Not shown:
Cisco 2811 router
2 more PowerConnect 6248P switches
1 more EPS-470 power supply

My office moved and has a drastically reduced footprint, and I got to keep the extras. :D

Last edited:
I would love a 1941, just too expensive!.

I have 2 x 1841s but I actually use my 5505 for intervlan routing these days.

I would love a 1941, just too expensive!.

I have 2 x 1841s but I actually use my 5505 for intervlan routing these days.

I was just checking eBay and these things go for a few hundred dollars each. :eek: I think I'm going to goof off with them with their fiber interfaces (gigE fiber from the living room to the dining room! every room connected via fiber on its own network segment!) for a bit then sell them. Now that I have literally a stack of L3-capable switches, there's no need for me to keep routers around and I could use the cash to buy some tasty toys...

yup know where you are, stayed there before. Just down the street from my work's head office :) Did you atleast walk over to future active ?

nan, was there only for the night when i arrived at the airport, the day after i had a job in Victoria + Nanaimo and 2 days later in Vanderhoof...

shit happens when you're on the road ! Brand new Ford Escape 2013 with 2300km on it !

iphone+012.JPG

kind of weather related, they received 2ft of snow in 2 days, when they plowed the snow they also spread out some sand AND rocks... a passing-by semi throw one of those rocks on the windshield and rebound on the sunroof.. hopefully it's a rental so it's "covered", had it swapped in Prince George, BC

Red I think your UniFi install is pretty comparable to commercial installs and I like your use of a keystone. Lets you unhook the AP quickly or extend it in a different direction if you really need to.

nan, was there only for the night when i arrived at the airport, the day after i had a job in Victoria + Nanaimo and 2 days later in Vanderhoof...

shit happens when you're on the road ! Brand new Ford Escape 2013 with 2300km on it !

what were you doing over here in Nanaimo ? ( tis where i live )

Red I think your UniFi install is pretty comparable to commercial installs and I like your use of a keystone. Lets you unhook the AP quickly or extend it in a different direction if you really need to.

Cool good to know. Figured I'd go with the keystone so when I put drop ceiling I can use a slightly longer cable and install it on a tile. While I could just leave it there, I'd want it to be visible for troubleshooting purposes (ex: check if it's on if I'm having trouble).

I also have the POE adaptor plugged into my big UPS, so if the power goes out I have a good 4-5 hours of internet through my playbook or other wireless device. I'm planing to extend that run time by adding a couple more batteries too once I setup my secondary rack, which I'll dedicate for power stuff. Power does not go out all that often here, but we do get a 4-5 hour outage about once or twice a year because of the road construction in my area, so it's nice to be able to ride through those. My workstation is on an APC with new batteries so it's good for maybe 10-15 minutes but I usually just shut it down before that.

iphone+012.JPG

Ouch lol. yeah lets hope the rental company covers it.

There are cars in Canada? Aren't you supposed to be riding a moose?

hey whats a great way to make a foundry switch run its cpu hard?

oh just setup link agg on your linux host and dont tell the network guys you want it on the switch

There are cars in Canada? Aren't you supposed to be riding a moose?

We like to call them chariots but car for short, we upgraded to horses years back, moose can be temperamental, and trying to get anywhere during hunting season proved to be hard. :D

Yeah honestly I thought all you guys did was sit in the woods making maple syrup from trees and racing mooses

reminds me i almost crashed into a horse with his carriage packed with Amish when i was in southern Manitoba 2 months ago :eek:

Alright ! Had a service call today in Kelowna for a DSL link to office down... had to troubleshoot in this shit-hole to find the problem was a defective pair in the 25pairs underground conduit that goes to TELUS d-marc point... dispatched a team to run a new cable and FIX THAT CRAP

IMG_0414.JPG

Alright ! Had a service call today in Kelowna for a DSL link to office down... had to troubleshoot in this shit-hole to find the problem was a defective pair in the 25pairs underground conduit that goes to TELUS d-marc point... dispatched a team to run a new cable and FIX THAT CRAP

IMG_0414.JPG

Yep, that's telus work for sure!

Back