Network pics thread

A lot newer and higher end ones exhaust out the back. Most of the Cisco switches do and my HP 2824 does as well.

Yeah it is a little loud but should be fine in the server room especially once I build it properly with walls and stuff. The server "room" is just a wide open area in the basement right now. Can slightly hear stuff from upstairs, but gotten used to it. The hum is reassurance that all my stuff is still running. :D

Just realized I will need a double female serial cable so I can't play with this tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to find one or a gender changer at a local store tomorrow.

S

i made my cable :) Then moded mine for quietness :)

DSCN2915.JPG

IMG_20121116_160613.jpg

I suppose this literally qualifies as they have all have WiFi.. This wasn't all of 'em either, but preparing a bunch of phones for work.

I have the same switch. It can run with no fans, but it does get a little too warm for my likes. Mine sits in the basement, and is far from the loudest thing in the rack.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZG-4UXhkx8k/UKcsXQlylyI/AAAAAAAB-E4/S4gGJ1c1sU4/s1152/IMG_20121116_160613.jpg

I suppose this literally qualifies as they have all have WiFi.. This wasn't all of 'em either, but preparing a bunch of phones for work.

I will see you your phones and raise you 65 iPad 3's

JuGwrl.jpg

I have the same switch. It can run with no fans, but it does get a little too warm for my likes. Mine sits in the basement, and is far from the loudest thing in the rack.

in that tight 1u case 1-2 fans moving some air helps tons, some switches move across side to side, some move from front to rear..

*SNIP*

don't want to sound too much like and iPhone fanboy but god damn how to people use those gigantic android table tennis paddles

don't want to sound too much like and iPhone fanboy but god damn how to people use those gigantic android table tennis paddles

Hah - yeah I get that. I myself just got a nexus 4 and I think it's a great size, if not a bit large. I don't see how people use a SGS3, let alone a Note 2.

These, Droid Maxx, were chosen for their extended battery life as the primary factor. We're doing some continuous data collection so we wanted to have the phone last for a minimum of 24 hours under full load.

It really does not seem that big of a deal as far as size goes...

3kbJH.jpg

There's always the smaller RAZR M if size is a problem.

razr-m-vs-iphone-4s.jpg

the phones that really get me are the ones that are the size of a tablet / about the size of an average full hand. Every time I see one of those I ask myself, "is that even a phone?"

the phones that really get me are the ones that are the size of a tablet / about the size of an average full hand. Every time I see one of those I ask myself, "is that even a phone?"

you talking about the SGs3 compared to the Samsung Note II

note2-news-dsc07924.jpg

The problem IMO opinion...for one hand...the size...for another...the quality of construction....for example...the galaxy s3 built in cheap plastic...i got friends with the phone for over 3/4 months and the palstic are open fends in the sides...:S

4S / 5 don't have this kind of problems....:D:D:D

had to do a little clean up at one store tonight in Langford, BC... bunch of unused cables and fiber + misc patch panels all for garbage !

scrap.jpg

How old was the store? Because when I worked retall any net work upgrades or even manger sever up grades was done by the store manager so I can imagine how bad I can get.

How old was the store? Because when I worked retall any net work upgrades or even manger sever up grades was done by the store manager so I can imagine how bad I can get.

store manager ? you shitting us ? half of them don't even know they have servers and equipment in the store.. LOL

store manager ? you shitting us ? half of them don't even know they have servers and equipment in the store.. LOL

Yep they get a call from it that a thing is coming and you will be setting it up next time you close the store because we are to cheep to send some one from Head office which is in the same town.

LOL store manager, i've been in more than 400 stores accross Canada this year and maybe 2 were knowing what was going on, 98% had no idea who we are and we're doing in their store and 99% dont give a shit!

Yep they get a call from it that a thing is coming and you will be setting it up next time you close the store because we are to cheep to send some one from Head office which is in the same town.

yeah, then they screw it all up and you end up sending a tech out any-ways to clean up BOTH messes :) yep been there seen that LOTS.

then the VP of it gets fired and re-paled by a contractor who just sends techs with the stuff and IT is now doing 1/2 the cost form in house IT.

LOL store manager, i've been in more than 400 stores accross Canada this year and maybe 2 were knowing what was going on, 98% had no idea who we are and we're doing in their store and 99% dont give a shit!

Hmmm... Sounds like there might be an easy way to intercept POS data if one was so inclined.

There are lots of ways to get POS data, the thing is, its all monitored all the time, so It's also easy to see someone is getting into it, and the punishment.. well.. thats just not worth the small bits your going to find.

Dash- Havent heard much from you lately, good to see your still alive.

Night calls suck, Im in retail management now, so all I get is security center calls and manager meetings.. not too bad, much better than when I was working in IT.

There are lots of ways to get POS data, the thing is, its all monitored all the time, so It's also easy to see someone is getting into it, and the punishment.. well.. thats just not worth the small bits your going to find.

Dash- Havent heard much from you lately, good to see your still alive.

Night calls suck, Im in retail management now, so all I get is security center calls and manager meetings.. not too bad, much better than when I was working in IT.

i've been busy with emc calls. for the next 2 months i'm doing 7-11 re-fresh with new scanners and gots. 2-3 hours per day.. I got 17 of them to update :)

Also been doing more of my new hobby :)

DSCN3280.JPG

Hmmm... Sounds like there might be an easy way to intercept POS data if one was so inclined.

you're kidding ? I have a job that makes me travel around Canada & US, i didn't paid any gas in the last 2 years, i'm driving a new rental SUV each month, a unlimited corporate credit card and much more other stuff i can't says here and risking all that including my name AND my career ? Yeah must worth it... NOT. Can't believe you're even asking this.

you're kidding ? I have a job that makes me travel around Canada & US, i didn't paid any gas in the last 2 years, i'm driving a new rental SUV each month, a unlimited corporate credit card and much more other stuff i can't says here and risking all that including my name AND my career ? Yeah must worth it... NOT. Can't believe you're even asking this.

Hey, were on {H} people say the stupidest things don't they :confused:

The two of you need major grammar lessons... That hurt my brain reading the last two posts.

I witnessed a Game Stop manager on the phone with tech support trying to get the store back online. Appeared to be swapping a frame relay for a DSL... :p. I probably could have figured it out in 3 minutes but I wasn't there for that.

:rolleyes: Wow, I wasn't saying that you should do it or anyone at that. I was merely pointing out that what was observed is one hell of a vulnerability. Getting an unauthorized piece of equipment into a major chain does not sound that it is that difficult. With the attack I am thinking about the stores would have to be monitoring the config of the switch 24/7. Does PCI require that level of monitoring?

I would say this about the manager not knowing you're working......

I could easily see an outsider watching you and seeing no one knows you're working. They pretend to be with the IT dept. and then drop a packet sniffer or something.....or worse....

I work for a bank. I have been 2 branches so far to replace worn/old UPS's. First one the manager looked me up in our dir to see my picture and title. The other.....they just opened the door and acted like I was the CEO. And since I had to take the server down for this, I could have easily done many things to the server to watch transactions.

PS: grammer be dammed......

i blame canada for this near thread derailing... ;)

back on topic - just installed some gear for an office building in my town.

5 member 3750X stack, 5510 ASA, Aruba wireless controller(not my choice), and a 3750G-12S stack for distribution layer back to the MAN core. blurry pics i blame the crappy phone. if anyone wants them resized, let me know and i'll shrink them down a bit.

2012-10-19_13-38-05_518.jpg

2012-10-19_13-28-25_369.jpg

Back