Network pics thread

jXiE5.jpg

Early version of my home lab. HP box is running Ubuntu 12.04 and GNS3 with 4 NICs.

That ram's beyond dirt cheap now. May as well max that thing out.
As nice as that would be, since this system was free and is not going into production, I'm not spending a penny on it. I have a feeling that I'll wind up keeping the processors and memory for this thing and just toss the rest once I get bored of it in a couple weeks time.

Is that the long range kit or the standard one?

TBH I'm not sure, but I think it's the basic model, so I'm guessing when I say 400ft. It just says "Unifi AP" I think if it was one of the others it would say "Unifi AP pro" or something. I'm just guessing though. Maybe I'll see for sure once I get into it's config. Seems it requires special software, so I setup windows XP on an old laptop, finishing up on that as I speak, hoping to play with this tonight.

If my Playbook still wont work with this AP, then I know it's the playbook's wifi that simply sucks THAT bad.

Do quite like having Linux on my phone. Not too different than my workstation, just with fewer packages compiled for armel. Actually works fairly well for when I need to SSH/telnet into something and get some work done.

12100032s.jpg

That is awesome! The best thing is that ssh probably does not use much bandwidth so you can actually ssh into something on data without going through the cap so fast. Just don't forget to exit a "top" command before putting the phone away. :p

That is awesome! The best thing is that ssh probably does not use much bandwidth so you can actually ssh into something on data without going through the cap so fast. Just don't forget to exit a "top" command before putting the phone away. :p
Unlimited data, so don't really worry about that (not to mention I installed APs at all three datacenters). I wasn't actually using SSH for the photo anyway. That's htop running on the phone itself. Just installed it from Nokia's repositories with apt (you'd be surprise how much is available for non-x86 devices). Why would I need to close terminal anyway? I can just minimize it! :p

Oh wow, I wish I could get unlimited data here. 100MB being the cap (gets retarded expensive if you want to go higher, and there's no unlimited package at all) makes having data more or less pointless here.

Got my unifi working, posting from my laptop sitting in the living room, the AP is just sitting on the ground in my office, I'll mount it on the ceiling in the basement tomorrow.

This is awesome. Was so easy to setup too.

Playbook still wont work though. Load a couple sites fine, then it starts to get slow, then after a while bar will go to 1/3 and stay stuck and that's how I know it's done for. Only way to make it work again is to reload the OS again. What a POS tablet. No wonder RIM is going under.

Last edited:
Love them 2950's, have one here as well as a 3500XL

For sure. I wish I had more physical routers but such is life. I've got a 2600 and a 3700 at the office I could use, but I'm afraid someone will decide they want to use those instead of buying new ones.

Luckily we've completely retired 2950's in favor of the 3750x platform so those are fair game for me :D I'm not overly familiar with the whole Cisco line but these 3750x's are sweet.

I've got everything racked and wired now so it looks a lot better, I'll have to snag some pictures.

Do quite like having Linux on my phone. Not too different than my workstation, just with fewer packages compiled for armel. Actually works fairly well for when I need to SSH/telnet into something and get some work done.

N950! Where did you get that. Do want :I!

Oh wow, I wish I could get unlimited data here. 100MB being the cap (gets retarded expensive if you want to go higher, and there's no unlimited package at all) makes having data more or less pointless here.
That's pretty terrible, but then again, Canada gets screwed on internet access too. I only have it because I was grandfathered in under AT&T's old non-smartphone data plan (which is about the only thing they're good for). I think the only time I've gone over 1gb of data is when I accidentally had my HTC Touch Pro 2 set to automatically tether instead of going into mass storage and when I went to charge it on a friends laptop, I noticed that she had bittorrent running after a few hours.
N950! Where did you get that. Do want :I!
Got rather lucky and found one on eBay after looking for more than a year. I have been using an N9 since it was released, but one finally showed up in the US (for a reasonable price too) and I managed to get it. Laser etching on the back certainly makes it more unique too (see below). Real shame what Elop did with Meego. Personally found it leaps and bounds above Android, but few will ever know that. :(

12100038s.jpg

My old boss had an N900. It was a pretty awesome device. I'm sure that N950 is great.

Got rather lucky and found one on eBay after looking for more than a year. I have been using an N9 since it was released, but one finally showed up in the US (for a reasonable price too) and I managed to get it. Laser etching on the back certainly makes it more unique too (see below). Real shame what Elop did with Meego. Personally found it leaps and bounds above Android, but few will ever know that. :(

Yeah i'm seeing one on ebay for 1500USD, waaayyyy too much for a phone. Meego because android doesn't feel hardcore enough :D
Well hoping that the ex-employees of MeeGo devs get Jolla going and can spit out a good linux like phone.

Yeah i'm seeing one on ebay for 1500USD, waaayyyy too much for a phone. Meego because android doesn't feel hardcore enough :D
Well hoping that the ex-employees of MeeGo devs get Jolla going and can spit out a good linux like phone.
Yeah, I hope they can put out something nice. Apparently Nokia had another prototype that was an N9/N950 hybrid. Keyboard like the N950, but with a polycarbonate body like an N9. Looked a bit like the E7 (link). Best combination I think because the OLED screen on the N9 is better. As for price, I got mine for $700. One sold for $1200 a few days ago though.

man, and people told me I was nuts for buying the Galaxy Note II for $650 lol

very [H]

very [H]

tell them to stuff it, the Note II is f'n badass.

I want one but I don't want to spend the money for it right now, probably wait till march/april and get it.

Pager goes off at 2.22am, sp' "A" has faulted :( shit balls! :( replaced sp-a did firmware update rebooted, then trusted lus back, POOF fault again. SHIT! then faulted back to b again, changed a's llc, still no fix but the sp is not faulting the enclosure 0-1 is now faulted :( damit.

Changed the other llc poof everything is happy. get home at 5am ish, BEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP fucking pager again, dammit. Off to a call in another city because a POS terminal was down.

BUSY night last night and lots of traveling.

SP-a
DSCN3252.JPG

Bad LLC.

DSCN3253.JPG

Love those CX lcc's. Had to replace one once and the LCC cable was so crammed it took the LCC internals with it. Luckily we order LCC + cables in some occasions :p. VNX LCC's are a breeze.

I'm the guy that calls out people like you when things go wrong. :D I recently called a CO tech at like 6am the other day because a cell site went down. Pretty sure I caught him in the middle of REM sleep. No fun. When I was server tech I got called a few times so I know how it is. I always give people a chance to wakeup before spilling all the info. Some people would call me sometimes and start blurting out computer numbers and contact phone number it's like "woah, hold on, let me get out of bed so I can write this down" lol.

Pager goes off at 2.22am, sp' "A" has faulted :( shit balls! :( replaced sp-a did firmware update rebooted, then trusted lus back, POOF fault again. SHIT! then faulted back to b again, changed a's llc, still no fix but the sp is not faulting the enclosure 0-1 is now faulted :( damit.

Changed the other llc poof everything is happy. get home at 5am ish, BEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP fucking pager again, dammit. Off to a call in another city because a POS terminal was down.

BUSY night last night and lots of traveling.

Do you keep spare parts? I've just wondering how the replacement process worked...

Love those CX lcc's. Had to replace one once and the LCC cable was so crammed it took the LCC internals with it. Luckily we order LCC + cables in some occasions :p. VNX LCC's are a breeze.

3.5 hour call, the next step was to change out the enclosure, good thing what we changed fixed all the issues. :D

Do you keep spare parts? I've just wondering how the replacement process worked...

dell / emc stuff is stored locally so it's delivered with in 1-4 hours for the 4 hour response time.

Example, you buy a dell server with say 5 1tb hard drives sas and a dual quade core system with 64 gigs ram. etc etc ( configured box. )

that box intern, is identically matched at the ware house, so every part that's in the server you just bought for the 4 hour turn around. Lots of it happens over here on Vancouver island for 4 hour calls etc etc. ( everywhere else too ) that has the 4 hour resolution )

Same with all the 7-11 hardware, they have multiples of each hardware for the response time..

NBD servers and hardware are here next business day guaranteed too :)

Some people would call me sometimes and start blurting out computer numbers and contact phone number it's like "woah, hold on, let me get out of bed so I can write this down" lol.

I always hate it when Hyderabad calls at oh-dark-hundred and the conversation goes something like:

:confused: (Agrikk) zzzzzz*snort* huh?
:) (NOC guy) Hello Agrikk,, sorry to bother you. But server blahblablah is having problem blahblah andcanyoupleasecallbridgetwototalkwiththenetworkengineersandtroubleshoottheproblem
:confused: <rubseyes, drops cell phone, roots around on the floor in the dark for cell phone> hello? what?
:) Yes. Agrikk. Please do the needful.
:confused: <Shuffles out of the bedroom so as to not wake the missus while clearing head> Sorry. What?
:) Agrikk, this is the noc calling. Solarwinds is reporting a trapeightdotfivedotsixdotelevendotfive from server with ipaddresstendotfiftydotsixdotelevenonesocanyoupleasecallbridgetwotojointhecall.
:mad: <staggering down the hall to desktop to vpn into the enterprise> goddammit stop talking. hold on a second.
:) Sorry? What was that? therewasstaticonthelinebecauseacowjustateasectionofthefiberstrandrunningoutofourwindowtothecallcenter
:mad: <finally at desk, mostly awake now, in front of computer that is VPN'd to the enterprise> Okay. What?

Our old NOC guys were rad.

They would call and simply repeat "Agrikk, this is the noc calling, wake up please" a couple of times until we were actually awake and able to receive and process information via telephone.

Can so tell you're a goon from that post alone. :p

very [H]
When I can immediately resell it for at least a $500 profit, hardly a poor investment. I've seen them go for up to €2000 (or $, I forget). :)

I always hate it when Hyderabad calls at oh-dark-hundred and the conversation goes something like:

:confused: (Agrikk) zzzzzz*snort* huh?
:) (NOC guy) Hello Agrikk,, sorry to bother you. But server blahblablah is having problem blahblah andcanyoupleasecallbridgetwototalkwiththenetworkengineersandtroubleshoottheproblem
:confused: <rubseyes, drops cell phone, roots around on the floor in the dark for cell phone> hello? what?
:) Yes. Agrikk. Please do the needful.
:confused: <Shuffles out of the bedroom so as to not wake the missus while clearing head> Sorry. What?
:) Agrikk, this is the noc calling. Solarwinds is reporting a trapeightdotfivedotsixdotelevendotfive from server with ipaddresstendotfiftydotsixdotelevenonesocanyoupleasecallbridgetwotojointhecall.
:mad: <staggering down the hall to desktop to vpn into the enterprise> goddammit stop talking. hold on a second.
:) Sorry? What was that? therewasstaticonthelinebecauseacowjustateasectionofthefiberstrandrunningoutofourwindowtothecallcenter
:mad: <finally at desk, mostly awake now, in front of computer that is VPN'd to the enterprise> Okay. What?

Our old NOC guys were rad.

They would call and simply repeat "Agrikk, this is the noc calling, wake up please" a couple of times until we were actually awake and able to receive and process information via telephone.

Haha that's funny. Yeah I always explain briefly the issue like "there's an issue with NNN are you available to check it out?" then I'll tell the details.

yeah I cried at my old job when the hot T2 moved off third shift. She was great to wake up to(on the phone!!!), nice soothing voice.

"Hey...sorry to wake you up....we have a problem....take a minute to wake up and let me know when I can start telling you whats wrong....."

the guy that replaced her was more like "hey this is down I need you fix it...hello...are you awake...shits broke I need you to fix it....."

a couple times he hung and redialed while I was sitting there on the phone. I had to have the director talk to him about his 'bedside manner' :p

Friday night at 2am is no time to piss off the guy that can fix your shit, just because you are awake doesnt mean I was

Tomorrows job, Cisco 2851 fan replacement, Taking the bank off line for 40 min changing fan's and re-racking the unit.

DSCN3266.JPG

CISCO2851.jpg

dash : surprising they don't have any live backup router in that bank ? I'm working on a major deployment (approx 1350 stores across Canada) and they're all running 2x 2921 one primary and the other is a live backup on a different circuit (adsl most of the time) the main link is over a MPLS/dsl. Amazing sometimes when you enter their IT room and see the equipment so badly in shape and it's still working god know why !

dash : surprising they don't have any live backup router in that bank ? I'm working on a major deployment (approx 1350 stores across Canada) and they're all running 2x 2921 one primary and the other is a live backup on a different circuit (adsl most of the time) the main link is over a MPLS/dsl. Amazing sometimes when you enter their IT room and see the equipment so badly in shape and it's still working god know why !

I think they are bonded t1's and they have 2 but i can't remember about this bank. Last time i was tehre was 1.5 years ago, to do some config, but things have changed since then.. I bet there are 2 just can't remember..

Finally got around to setting up my access point!

I was going to set a static IP on it but for some reason the software refuses to find it now. I had previously configured it by plugging it into a network jack. I have a feeling I should have done that before. I can always assign it by mac through my firewall.

Playbook STILL is slow and loses connection half way through loading something intensive like youtube or speedtest.net, so I know it's definitely the playbook and not my wireless. Time to get a real tablet or a smartphone if I want a small portable wifi device.

How are APs normally installed in a commercial setting? I have a feeling the way I did it is not really how it's normally done. I imagine a full blown jackplate is overkill too, or is that actually how they're normally installed?

While setting up the AP I realized I really have to do something about the mess of switches I have, time for a 24 port switch!

I ebayed just for fun to see what I find, and scored this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DELL-PowerCo...31?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item35c0f898e7

Gigabit AND managed! At lest let's hope there's not a catch, but I was willing to pay that even for unmanaged so if worse comes to worse it's not managed it's still a half decent deal.

Can also get rid of the router acting as switch, and the two other separate switches. Yeah it's a mess back there.

Finally got around to setting up my access point!

How are APs normally installed in a commercial setting? I have a feeling the way I did it is not really how it's normally done. I imagine a full blown jackplate is overkill too, or is that actually how they're normally installed?

This is how i did mine. Had 3 cables run (one on each floor) and i had to cut a dent on the bracket to make sure the excess cable can be hidden.

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

On the feild we use a combination of AP300 and AP650 ty-wraped to the support beam. This one was in a old office so screwed directly to the ceiling. Sorry for the crappy pics taken with my cell tomorrow i'm going to a major warehouse with 32 ap's i'll take a better one

ap300.jpg

Back