Network pics thread

Picked up a cheap 4GB fibre switch off eBay

6C21056C-17BB-4D31-B430-5AEE60388483-22105-0000097998B27887.jpg

Don't have the bloody login details though, and resetting it seems like I would need a default PROM password :confused:

Wonderful!

Why do you have it hooked up to an 1400/1800-24g? You should also try the console instead of the network management.

Picked up a cheap 4GB fibre switch off eBay

Don't have the bloody login details though, and resetting it seems like I would need a default PROM password :confused:

Wonderful!

You realize that is a 4Gb fiber channel switch not an ethernet switch. They are not meant to connect like that.

1351194755p3a7HQHCDK_1_1_l.jpg

Original Thread : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1724443

how much sq/ft you covering with 15? i cant remember, but are these girls capable of cleanair and all the newest hot stuff? also, what controller are you using?
pics are cool. finding out how they are implemented is even better.(for me anyway)
I'll answer your question in this forum since it seems most appropriate.

The 1131AG's I don't think can do the cleanair. Not sure.
I can't give you an exact sq/ft because they are going into different buildings. These are actually to shore up any dead spots we have in our 40+ AP's deployment.
We are using a 5508 WLC running the AP's in H-REAP mode.

1351194755p3a7HQHCDK_1_1_l.jpg

Original Thread : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1724443

I'll answer your question in this forum since it seems most appropriate.

The 1131AG's I don't think can do the cleanair. Not sure.
I can't give you an exact sq/ft because they are going into different buildings. These are actually to shore up any dead spots we have in our 40+ AP's deployment.
We are using a 5508 WLC running the AP's in H-REAP mode.

I got one of those free :) it's in my drawer now collecting dust :)

DSCN0119.JPG

If it's the lightweight version I'd pay your shipping fees to send it to us :D

even if it's not, you could probably dump the lwapp IOS on it to convert it over. i went the opposite direction on a bunch of cisco 1262 APs. they shipped us lightweight/controller imaged APs. flashed autonomous code onto them and they were good to go. :)

Our 1130 models got EoL'ed so we can't upgrade the code at all :(.

Thats ok, we'll be switching to mostly 1142N's or something else soon.

It's new insulation so doubt it's asbestos. Looks more like shredded newspaper. I always thought insulation had to have a certain fire rating, but apparantly not. May as well spray some jet fuel up there while I'm at it. The smell will make the mice go away. :D

We're talking milliamps here though, so I'm not too worried. I do want to find a fuse holder and fuses though to be on the extra safe side. I'll measure the actual current usage and get a fuse slightly higher. Can always throw in an extra resistor too as it will limit the current. It's all logic level electrical so really no need for much current. When nothing is hooked up the board actually goes between 0 and 1 at random since it picks up stray voltages from the air, that's how little current it actually needs.

That is shredded paper, at least partially. It's cellulose insulation. It has some other stuff added into the mix, which makes it very safe and equally fire retardant as any other insulation product.

It's new insulation so doubt it's asbestos. Looks more like shredded newspaper. I always thought insulation had to have a certain fire rating, but apparantly not. May as well spray some jet fuel up there while I'm at it. The smell will make the mice go away. :D

We're talking milliamps here though, so I'm not too worried. I do want to find a fuse holder and fuses though to be on the extra safe side. I'll measure the actual current usage and get a fuse slightly higher. Can always throw in an extra resistor too as it will limit the current. It's all logic level electrical so really no need for much current. When nothing is hooked up the board actually goes between 0 and 1 at random since it picks up stray voltages from the air, that's how little current it actually needs.

"so doubt it's asbestos"... assumption is the mother of all fuckups :)

Plus there is the little small fact that if it was made after 1980 it is not asbestos...

^^ yup.

Y HALO THAR HYPER-V
IMG_20121024_171344.jpg

"Yes I can tell you why your stuff isnt working, and no I can't fix it"
IMG_20121025_160642.jpg

Last edited:
i like those vertical drives on the R720's.

My last place had the R710's and R810's with horizontal drives. Probably no big difference but they just look better.

"so doubt it's asbestos"... assumption is the mother of all fuckups :)

I always wear a mask when I go in the attic anyway unless I'm just popping my head real quick to perform a rodential body removal and trap reset. The fiberglass alone makes me choke up if I'm around it too much.

As far as I know asbestos is no longer used so that's why I doubt it's that. Was added this year.

Caught another mouse today, got an email around 6am last night. :D For some reason two of em tripped then one restored. Not sure how that would happen, maybe the ethernet cord got loose then snapped back in.

Got a new (free) AP from Meraki to play with for attending a webinar. It's a Meraki MR12.

image.php

From their webinar and the interface it looks very impressive, I guess we'll see as I test it on my home network.

Christmas came early!

I think I will put just one for the whole house, given it has like a 400ft range. :D Later on when I finish up the garage I'll add one in there too. Other one as a spare I guess.

I think I will put just one for the whole house, given it has like a 400ft range. :D Later on when I finish up the garage I'll add one in there too. Other one to be given away to the highest bidder

Fixed that last little bit there for ya

That could work too. :D

Anyone happen to know the shape of the signal that these provide? Ex: mushroom, oval, sphere etc... I'm thinking of putting it in the basement but I want to make sure I'll still get optimal signal above it.

i like those vertical drives on the R720's.

My last place had the R710's and R810's with horizontal drives. Probably no big difference but they just look better.

diff should be 2.5 v 3.5" drives, we have some 710's with Horiz drives and they are all 3.5 SATA drives

That could work too. :D

Anyone happen to know the shape of the signal that these provide? Ex: mushroom, oval, sphere etc... I'm thinking of putting it in the basement but I want to make sure I'll still get optimal signal above it.

sphere I think, when I deployed them I tested different mounting options and the room 'above' the unifi when I mounted it on the wall instead of the ceiling still got great signal

Christmas came early!

I think I will put just one for the whole house, given it has like a 400ft range. :D Later on when I finish up the garage I'll add one in there too. Other one as a spare I guess.
Is that the long range kit or the standard one?

I got one of those free :) it's in my drawer now collecting dust :)

DSCN0119.JPG

hah, you too eh?

I have an AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9 and an AIR-BR1310G-A-K9 with its injector (dual RG-6 Coax, fun!) sitting here...

Do quite like having Linux on my phone. Not too different than my workstation, just with fewer packages compiled for armel. Actually works fairly well for when I need to SSH/telnet into something and get some work done.

12100032s.jpg

Do quite like having Linux on my phone. Not too different than my workstation, just with fewer packages compiled for armel. Actually works fairly well for when I need to SSH/telnet into something and get some work done.

*snip*

This pleases me. :D

Next order of business...this will also be running Linux (well, HP-UX, but it supports Linux) because it is not x86. It is actually much more similar to my aforementioned phone (which sadly will never be produced/sold). I have not seen any PA-RISC systems in a very long time posted on here, so might as well give the other architectures some love (except for Itanium because it can keep sitting in a corner being all lonely).

12100033s.jpg

Lets not forget some very proprietary RAM to go with it.

12100034s.jpg

Back