Network pics thread

Here is some pics of our Alpha 15kva GREEN LIGHTS

Also some pics of our battery replacement earlier this year.

stp-ups-4.jpg

stp-ups-3.jpg

stp-ups-1.jpg

stp-ups-2.jpg

Long time lurker, finally decided to post.

HomeLab_22-11-2011-x1024.jpg

How do you get real time information about system in your house with Ubuntu?What's the name of the program and do you have a special cable that it's connect to the equipment?

How do you get real time information about system in your house with Ubuntu?What's the name of the program and do you have a special cable that it's connect to the equipment?

Check his website, all the info is on there.

What's the two old prolients on the bottom right doing these days?

You should post more. Great site you have as well :cool:

Thanks, Glad you like it! :) The 2x DL145 G3 proliants are part of an ESXi Lab connected to the Silver Tower Machine running Openfiler with 6x SATA Spindles in RAID0 (just for labbing, redundancy is not needed) for iSCSI/NFS storage and the DL140 is a Xen Server.

I spy more red lights on an UPS!

Wish i could afford to buy a new battery for the UPS, I got it from a corporate office move with the dead batteries and have been looking for replacement batteries but it would be cheaper to just be a new UPS altogether off ebay. :rolleyes:

I use an expect script that pulls the info off my Netbotz appliance and then pipe the output into Conky. As macco mentioned you can find the scripts on my website.

Thanks, Glad you like it! :) The 2x DL145 G3 proliants are part of an ESXi Lab connected to the Silver Tower Machine running Openfiler with 6x SATA Spindles in RAID0 (just for labbing, redundancy is not needed) for iSCSI/NFS storage and the DL140 is a Xen Server.
The prolient question was to Krazypoloc. Though your setup is really sweet. I'd like to see/hear more details. Maybe in a build thread ;)

Well did some cleanup, not finished yet but it sure is a big step in the right direction.

After
IMG_20111123_151243.jpg

Don't mind the mess on the left...thats the phone system that I'm not even going to touch as we are going VOIP in Q1 next year.

Sorry for the repost of image, but does anyone know where to get the cable management that Krazypoloc is using....cheap? I can't seem to find anything.

For the pro's, a UPS, what would i need to power 8 workstations, 6 mid range servers,9 IP camera's for an hour or so?

Nice job!
What's the two old prolients on the bottom right doing these days?
They are part of the old domain that never got fully migrated over, something that I inherited from the last slacking network admins.Its on my long list of things to do. I also need to finish cleaning up the back of the rack.

For the pro's, a UPS, what would i need to power 8 workstations, 6 mid range servers,9 IP camera's for an hour or so?

A big one. :D

Very rough estimate here because this can vary based on the hardware. But let's say, 200watts per PC including the monitor, and 200watts per server, no monitor. The cameras probably don't use much, let's say 100w total.

So that brings you to about 3000w. A 3000va UPS is less than 3000w, so you're looking at least a 4000va, but personally I would get 2 2000-3000va units and split the loads across. Servers/cameras on one, workstations on the other.

Now the tricky part, lasting an hour. You can either get a bunch of extended run packs or custom rig something such as using higher capacity marine batteries, but if this is a business they probably wont go for that, so you're looking at extended run packs.

To get an actual number of wattage you'll want to get a clamp on meter as suggested though, or a killowatt and add up the individual items/power bars that power everything.

get a clamp meter on your circuits you want to protect, figure out the current draw, calculate.

good advice!

i dont have the office set up yet, this would be a new install for a client.

Appreciated, the client wants to avoid a generator, worried about noise but i was thinking if we build a concrete enclosure with proper ventelation a gas generator would be a much cheaper options and a UPS that would last 15-20mins then the generator would kick in sort of thing.

If you really need to power 3000w for an hour, I would think a generator quickly becomes the best and cheapest option.

Depending on the generator, they are relatively quiet and are measured in seconds for startup time.

With a gen you still need an UPS, don't forget though an hour of running servers generates heat and you won't have any aircon.

With a gen you still need an UPS, don't forget though an hour of running servers generates heat and you won't have any aircon.

totally need a ups paired with a gen, powering up a gen with a computer plugged into it would be disaster..

Ups creates a power filter & buffer for the brownouts..

You can put the HVAC unity on the generator.

*but never put it onto the UPS (for anyone thinking of setting something like that up. UPS batteries for servers are not designed for mechanical load)

Resurrected a TZ180 few days ago, it was squealing indicating a power filtering issue. Pulled out the Scopemeter, and did some probing, and found a dead leaking cap.

Changed it now it works great,

Pics..

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

You can put the HVAC unity on the generator.

*but never put it onto the UPS (for anyone thinking of setting something like that up. UPS batteries for servers are not designed for mechanical load)

And you will need to quadruple your generator size...

Skeltek Rack arrived..worked on it the last couple of days. A lot of this setup is temporary and I still have to run cabling from the rooms in the house and replace my dlink with a managed switch for Vlans, LACP..etc. Pics aren't the greatest..used my cell phone. Love the Skeltek. I also got the rails since the supermicro case rails are too long.

Something fun I've been working on for a few weeks. On the top is the rear view of a 3750-X switch stack. Then we have three new DL380 G7 servers with dual six-core Xeons and 84GB of RAM, 8x NICs running vSphere 4.1. For storage we have a spanking new NetApp FAS2040 with 12x 1TB SATA and 24x 450GB SAS. Below that is the old FAS2020 it is replacing, that will be moved to another site for some replication and CIFS action.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not quite on the same scale as the stuff that's been on here recently but started some structured cabling:

More progress:

Mike that is looking good, keep up that good work..

Ordered my self a 24 port patch panel, should arrive in a week ish, ( mono price . com )

that will be my next project..

I have been pondering the idea of cutting my rack down to smaller,, not sure if i will be doing it or not..

@dash

The floor should be finished tomorrow, then I can get all of the cables under the flooring and be a little bit happier.

But moving that damn rack onto the access floor was annoying. I had to remove almost all of the gear. I left the PDU's, power/network cables, KVM switch, rack KVM unit and rails. I had to pull every server and of course the heavy ass batteries out.

The most annoying part was that damn iSeries IBM unit. All of the other rails attach to the server and unlock entirely from the main rails. The iSeries box however HAS to be attached with the rails in the rack, they don't split. So it's a two person job, I had my wife with me. Luckily we got creative and stacked boxes to nearly the exact height it needed to be held up and did one side at a time. It was only about a half inch off, so it worked well raising it the half inch, getting the side, then doing the other.

All of the other units have the small sliders that unlock from the main rails, fucking IBM. You'd think for something that cost us about $54,000~ that it would have decent rails.

@dash

The floor should be finished tomorrow, then I can get all of the cables under the flooring and be a little bit happier.

But moving that damn rack onto the access floor was annoying. I had to remove almost all of the gear. I left the PDU's, power/network cables, KVM switch, rack KVM unit and rails. I had to pull every server and of course the heavy ass batteries out.

The most annoying part was that damn iSeries IBM unit. All of the other rails attach to the server and unlock entirely from the main rails. The iSeries box however HAS to be attached with the rails in the rack, they don't split. So it's a two person job, I had my wife with me. Luckily we got creative and stacked boxes to nearly the exact height it needed to be held up and did one side at a time. It was only about a half inch off, so it worked well raising it the half inch, getting the side, then doing the other.

All of the other units have the small sliders that unlock from the main rails, fucking IBM. You'd think for something that cost us about $54,000~ that it would have decent rails.

Thats par for the course. That sounds like one of my jobs I did last week. Pager goes off for a call, Dell server is sending out alerts that psu2 is failing, ok easy as pie, order parts, it shows up in 20 min, off to site. Home 3 hours later... WHY..

Because the SO CALLED network admin mounted the server in the rack wrong, he obstructed the hotswap PSU bay,s by zip tying every cable possible along side of the server and around the back.

I told him thats 100% WRONG way of installing and managing the cables. Showed him a correct picture and told him a few hints.

Keep the ac wires on one side, and cat5/others on the other.

Thats par for the course. That sounds like one of my jobs I did last week. Pager goes off for a call, Dell server is sending out alerts that psu2 is failing, ok easy as pie, order parts, it shows up in 20 min, off to site. Home 3 hours later... WHY..

Because the SO CALLED network admin mounted the server in the rack wrong, he obstructed the hotswap PSU bay,s by zip tying every cable possible along side of the server and around the back.

I told him thats 100% WRONG way of installing and managing the cables. Showed him a correct picture and told him a few hints.

Keep the ac wires on one side, and cat5/others on the other.

Yeah sounds like what I had to do when I cleaned up our racks at work....they had half the KVM and CAT cables routed INSIDE the rack C channel....morons...

If you really need to power 3000w for an hour, I would think a generator quickly becomes the best and cheapest option.

Depending on the generator, they are relatively quiet and are measured in seconds for startup time.
Ya, what i am thinking, based on the start up cost he has, this would be a good way to save some cash versus spending $20k on a UPS

Yup, AC would be need a generator, so far it wont be many servers, a handful at most, maybe 3-4 2U's

totally need a ups paired with a gen, powering up a gen with a computer plugged into it would be disaster..

Ups creates a power filter & buffer for the brownouts..

Ya, good points! i need to look to see what kind of generators i can get in Costa Rica and the cost of ones that can auto start.

Any links for U.S sites that sell solid UPS and auto start generators for me to compare with?

Ya, good points! i need to look to see what kind of generators i can get in Costa Rica and the cost of ones that can auto start.

Any links for U.S sites that sell solid UPS and auto start generators for me to compare with?

I'm strictly a APC fan-boy, i've been partial to them for several years, they are pricy, but you get what you pay for..

Back