Network pics thread

Skeltek Rack arrived..worked on it the last couple of days. A lot of this setup is temporary and I still have to run cabling from the rooms in the house and replace my dlink with a managed switch for Vlans, LACP..etc. Pics aren't the greatest..used my cell phone. Love the Skeltek. I also got the rails since the supermicro case rails are too long.
equipment list?

equipment list?

Skeletek 28u/16u
Panduit 24pt Cat5e Patch Panel
Panduit 1u Cable Management
Dlink 24pt Gb Green Switch
EMC PX4-300d NAS
Server #1 Windows Server 2008 R2 AD/DNS/Hyper-V/Test Bench w/Corsair 650/Core i5 2500k/16GB DDR3/2 x 80GB RAID 1/Intel PT 1000 PCI-E Dual Gb Adapter/1 x Dual PT 10Gbe
Server #2 vSphere 5 (nested VM's on Virtualized ESXi 5 hosts) Supermicro 3u w/3 x 650 Redundant PS/Asus Z8PE-D12/2 x Nehalem 5504's/48GB DDR3/8 x 500GB WD/IBM Br10i HBA/3 x Intel PT 1000 PCI-E Dual GB Adapters/1 x Dual PT Intel 10Gbe
Monster Power Conditioner/Surge protection
2TB External Backup drive for media/doc backups

Coming soon:
HP or Cisco 24pt GB w/10GB uplinks Managed Switch
Rackmount Dual Core Atom Untangle or pfense box
APC Rackmount UPS

I've been working on a way to keep track of my computers that I could update easier than a visio and here is what I came up with.

It was built with ExtJs and a MySQL backend. It currently has the ability to tell me if the machine is offline, virtual, and resume or suspend a guest. The monitored column tells me if it has SNMP enabled.

Just thought I would share it with everyone

monitord.gif

Server room access floor is 99% complete, I need to route the shielded cable under the tiles. Did not want to do that during the day, however the tripp-lite's were able to without interruption. :)

Here's the shortened door:

interesting that you shortened the door. previous employer had a smilar setup, room retrofitted with raised flooring, and the left the door, but installed a ramp, was much easier to get gear in and out.

interesting that you shortened the door. previous employer had a smilar setup, room retrofitted with raised flooring, and the left the door, but installed a ramp, was much easier to get gear in and out.

Ramp would have been nice, but cheaper this way. We now refer to it in an "un-politically correct" fashion as the Midget-Door™

Ramp would have been nice, but cheaper this way. We now refer to it in an "un-politically correct" fashion as the Midget-Door™

would be harder for some one to steal that rack and escape the room LOL!! good work looks awesome.

No trying to rain on your parade, its definitely cool.
Whats the point of raised flooring if you dont have a CRAC unit?

No trying to rain on your parade, its definitely cool.
Whats the point of raised flooring if you dont have a CRAC unit?

Carpet + Feet = Static

Also, I get to run all the cables under the flooring. It also makes the cooling space smaller.

I'm also going to add a 2nd cabinet and those plastic dangling things that they use in meat freezer things to do a hot/cold side with a return vent.

EDIT: It also just looks fucking good.

Carpet + Feet = Static

Also, I get to run all the cables under the flooring. It also makes the cooling space smaller.

I'm also going to add a 2nd cabinet and those plastic dangling things that they use in meat freezer things to do a hot/cold side with a return vent.

EDIT: It also just looks fucking good.

I was goign to say very same things :) no static for when you you have to hot swap a device, and to keep cabling mess away..

No pics of under the tiles :)

Moved the cabinets back in front of the window.

I also might order a 2nd cab next month.

Nice setup Mike, only thing I would of maybe done differently is turned the racks around to make it easier to load equipment when you add a second rack. its going to start getting a little tight when you put the other rack in there. but I see the wall AC unit so I understand why you did what you did.

Nice setup Mike, only thing I would of maybe done differently is turned the racks around to make it easier to load equipment when you add a second rack. its going to start getting a little tight when you put the other rack in there. but I see the wall AC unit so I understand why you did what you did.

Exactly, the wall-pack AC is on the face side, I'm going to add a plastic curtain thing with a return vent across the top to do hot/cold sides, as for racking stuff, there is plenty of room on the front and back to work with the cabinet. It should be fine with the 2nd cab also.

Looks like it's PVC Vinyl that I'm thinking of.
http://www.o-reps.com/id128.html
http://www.professionalplastics.com/VINYLSTRIPCURTAIN

Networking related:

I was annoyed with cables, adapters and laptops thrown all over the Service Tech Office. So I got that shit all cleaned up. :) Some of those adapters for the trucks were upwards of $5,000.

I would paint the inside of that window with black paint, that will make it look like a room with no lights on from the outside. Then fill the inside with a stud wall and drywall over it. That way if someone ever breaks it they cant get in. Buddy of mine did something similar when he built a home theater room. Cant even tell what is there.

I am sure the fire inspector will love the cut door lol. No way that is up to code. you should have just reversed the hinges. However in the long run the raised floor is worth it just make sure you keep the underside tidy, it can get out of control fast.

Now go get a CRAC and an underfloor fire system!

Moved the cabinets back in front of the window.

I also might order a 2nd cab next month.

I would paint the inside of that window with black paint, that will make it look like a room with no lights on from the outside. Then fill the inside with a stud wall and drywall over it. That way if someone ever breaks it they cant get in. Buddy of mine did something similar when he built a home theater room. Cant even tell what is there.

I'm more worried about a storm than somebody breaking in, it's on the 2nd floor.

I am sure the fire inspector will love the cut door lol. No way that is up to code. you should have just reversed the hinges. However in the long run the raised floor is worth it just make sure you keep the underside tidy, it can get out of control fast.

Yeah, I have a shop vac handy for crap that collects. If I start adding a bunch of cables I'll pick up some runners for under the flooring.

Do they make ones that will fit under a 6" raise?

As always, crappy cell phone pics. Just moved and threw together the rack, I'll clean it up over christmas.

The 2nd white box is a staggered power up unit, AKA a convenient power strip/master shutoff
The notebook is my pfsense router running off Att uverse 8/1 nwire.
Switch is 16 port Netgear gig unmanaged/shelf for notebook
Server is 12Tb quad core AMD running server 08R2.
The rackmount liebert UPS came with rack but It needs batteries, dont know if its worth it to replace them. Is it?
The fan is running through a dimmer switch at about 20%, keeps everything cool and doesn't sound like a jet.

Im still working on what some of the other stuff is. Looks like there's a water sensor for in the pedestal, smoke alarm, and a temp sensor. I still need to test these to see if they set off the alarm

K2AyYh.jpg

vHF0Uh.jpg

fcGPqh.jpg

eNbywh.jpg

b6zjrh.jpg

QD9H8h.jpg

Those lieberts are pretty nice, wouldn't be that expensive to replace the batteries either.

If the window is a double pane and you paint the inner pane black, the window will eventually crack if it is even close to any sunlight. Removing the window in all is generally the best approach because even with a covered glass window, the window can still break in a storm and allow water protrusion into the room. This said window may also be quite high from the ground to prevent break ins, so the main concern would be weather.

It would have been easier to convert the swing of the the door to the outside so that way you did not need to cut it. It also would be code compliant to put a step on the inside further back and leave the door in its full form. This may not pass fire code as you mentioned with the cut down door.

Underfloor fire systems are not required in every city and state. There are code rules in regards to how large the underfloor plenum should be before it requires a suppression system. Here by us you can get away with a 24" floor easy without a fire requirement, an inch higher requires an entire separate suppression system. The city will also determine what you are using the raised floor for, sometimes it depends on your placement of wiring and cooling. Using a raised floor as dead space can get you away with a lot of fire code requirements. I would not even bother with cooling a floor on that raise height... I would just cool above floor with upflows (or even mini splits given the small size of the room).

Since painting a window is generally a bad idea, why not tint the window. If the window was ever broken, the tint would help hold it together. It is relatively cheap and would also block out the view of the equipment.

Since painting a window is generally a bad idea, why not tint the window. If the window was ever broken, the tint would help hold it together. It is relatively cheap and would also block out the view of the equipment.

That's what I was thinking, not just regular tint, but the reflective kind to bounce out as much heat as possible while I was at it.

I've used reflective window tint a few times. Just be patient and go slow, and make certain the window is spotless (scrape it with a razor blade first) before you start. Bubbles make any window tint job look ghetto.

New toys:

2 x Cisco MDS 9148

VNX 5500 w/53 300GB 15k SAS/17 NLS 1TB/5 x 100GB SSD

Some serious IOPS there, what is it going to be used for?

VDI/Some DB's/Server Consolidation/FileServing

Something tells me the SSD's will be for FAST cache

You got it!;)

Just did the basic setup on the 9148's, racked them in the EMC cabinet. Tomorrow i'll be tidying everything up..then I need to move the equipment out of the RACK where this is going.

Tomorrow i'll post up some picks of the new blades for Server VM's.

One thing I want to point out. We have an HP P4000 w/10GB Procurves, 21TB of usable storage...costs $150k. Nothing special, iSCSI, basic 10k SAS. For a similiar price, i'm getting FAST Cache/SSD/15k SAS/NL SAS 1TB for storage/FAST VP/Unisphere/awesome integration with VMware/Hyper-V/..and the list goes on and on.

When you look at what you are getting, EMC is pretty reasonable..and if the VNX was out when we purchased the P4000, we wouldn't have a P4000, especailly with the problems we have with it. Honestly, I wouldn't even put the P4000 in the same category as the VNX.

Obviously, this is just my opinion based on my experiences and no I don't work for EMC, yet;). We also have a Clariion CX4-240 and we absolutely love that and it works extremely well.

Last edited:
I've got a CX4-120 and love it. Wish I could say the same for our AX4. Its a piece of shit.

We are now evaluating Compellent and EMC. Compellent software wise seems great, EMC however has a great history (minus the AX4).

We are now evaluating Compellent and EMC. Compellent software wise seems great, EMC however has a great history (minus the AX4).

I went down the same path as well. Compellent is a very nice system. I like they way they do their tiering. Why I went with EMC is quite simple really, the system will primarily be used for VMware products. They lead the way when it comes to integration/tools..etc to vSphere, not too mention the obvious ownership of VMware. Too me..that says a lot and provides a nice comfort level. Another reason is as you stated the history with our CX4-240. The support is decent and the community is robust and very pro-VMware. If I ever have a problem, the resource pool is huge..and i'm confident the problem will be addressed.

Obviously, this is just my opinion based on my experiences and no I don't work for EMC, yet;). We also have a Clariion CX4-240 and we absolutely love that and it works extremely well.

I have to do both of this stuff, when i get back in January. Looks like some pretty cool stuff.. what do you think of DataDomain so far ?

I went down the same path as well. Compellent is a very nice system. I like they way they do their tiering. Why I went with EMC is quite simple really, the system will primarily be used for VMware products. They lead the way when it comes to integration/tools..etc to vSphere, not too mention the obvious ownership of VMware. Too me..that says a lot and provides a nice comfort level. Another reason is as you stated the history with our CX4-240. The support is decent and the community is robust and very pro-VMware. If I ever have a problem, the resource pool is huge..and i'm confident the problem will be addressed.

Thats exactly one of our reasons. The support from EMC is great and the VMware integration. They are in bed with each other so you won't have the blame game as much if you do have an issue.

I also loved Compellent's tiering and the way they handle data redistribution when adding additional trays. EMC seems to suck when I I try to add recently purchased disks to a storage pool.

Funny though, never been to so many sporting events/lunches from both Dell and EMC with them trying to win our Storage budget for next year.

what do you think of DataDomain so far ?

I personally don't use it...we looked into it really didn't fit our needs. We are a shared shop, meaning many clients leveraging and sharing systems, allocating costs..etc, problem is DR sites are different..etc. It just wasn't cost effective and our gov't client still requires us to use tape believe it or not..and yes..i've explained the benefits. They are just one of our clients that will not accept change.

What's funny is ACS/Xerox is the biggest EMC Data Domain Customer..lol. I'm in the wrong division..:)

We are so far behind...trying to play catch up...just very difficult. Over the last 5-6 years we have had such a noose on cash investment in IT we pretty much couldn't do anything. Even if I showed a savings by going to vSphere and UCS, they still balked at the upfront cost even though it saved them almost $100k in the next year.

To me, this is a complete disconnect with IT and the Business side...and it's not getting any better. From my standpoint..it's time to move on.

EMC seems to suck when I I try to add recently purchased disks to a storage pool.

I haven't had the opportunity to use Pools as of yet, will be setting that up with the VNX..still using RAID Groups on the CX-240 but when you add disks you have the option to go MetaLUN or add and restripe. You can't do that with Pools? I know that you don't have the 16 disk limitation like you have with RAID groups.

Last edited:
I personally don't use it...we looked into it really didn't fit our needs. We are a shared shop, meaning many clients leveraging and sharing systems, allocating costs..etc, problem is DR sites are different..etc. It just wasn't cost effective and our gov't client still requires us to use tape believe it or not..and yes..i've explained the benefits. They are just one of our clients that will not accept change.

What's funny is ACS/Xerox is the biggest EMC Data Domain Customer..lol. I'm in the wrong division..:)

We are so far behind...trying to play catch up...just very difficult. Over the last 5-6 years we have had such a noose on cash investment in IT we pretty much couldn't do anything. Even if I showed a savings by going to vSphere and UCS, they still balked at the upfront cost even though it saved them almost $100k in the next year.

To me, this is a complete disconnect with IT and the Business side...and it's not getting any better. From my standpoint..it's time to move on.

I don't know much about the DD stuff yet, however that's why im being sent to Malvern for training in January it's a 2 week hands on course from building it all into a rack setting it up testing it building the os etc etc then some one in the group gets to break it and we all fix it learn the structure and how we go about solving issue's along with implementing the equipment..

Here is my network such as it is, what I need now is a box of Cat6, keystones, wallplates, three AP UniFi system, and maybe some sort of PDU. As of right now the only thing I have paid for is the 6U wall mount (which I paid $40 + an XL double double :)). Not the most current gear but it's a start.

6440445437_bd96f2b6cc_b.jpg

6440445611_132d235c05_b.jpg

6440445837_81916a5933_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back