Network pics thread

I just got setting up a large stage and front of house is a long way away. All of the audio and lighting data are now running over fiber. Its not much but it keeps me busy.

IMG_4210.JPG

Just orderd my Skeltek today! Can't wait to start the project. Pics will be coming soon!

Equipment Purchased or in place:
Skeltek 28u/16u full
Panduit Cat5e 24pt Patch Panel
Panduit 1u Cable managment
Dlink 24pt Green switch (soon to be replaced with an HP 1910-24GB managed)
Custom SuperMicro 3u server Dual Nehalem/48GB Memory vSphere Host 1
Custom Norco 2u Server Single Sandy Bridge 2500k/16GB Memory vSphere Host 2
Iomega PX4-300d NAS
Monster Surge Protection

Equipment to purchase:
HP 1910-24
APC BBU Rackmount

Last edited:
I just got setting up a large stage and front of house is a long way away. All of the audio and lighting data are now running over fiber. Its not much but it keeps me busy.

How do you like that gooseneck light? I had one of the Furman units with a light and it broke on me twice during the warranty period. I returned the whole thing and got one without a light and stuck with my mini-mag.

Just orderd my Skeltek today! Can't wait to start the project. Pics will be coming soon!

Equipment Purchased or in place:
Skeltek 28u/16u full
Panduit Cat5e 24pt Patch Panel
Panduit 1u Cable managment
Dlink 24pt Green switch (soon to be replaced with an HP 1910-24GB managed)
Custom SuperMicro 3u server Dual Nehalem/48GB Memory vSphere Host 1
Custom Norco 2u Server Single Sandy Bridge 2500k/16GB Memory vSphere Host 2
Iomega PX4-300d NAS
Monster Surge Protection

Equipment to purchase:
HP 1910-24
APC BBU Rackmount

Just a heads up, my Supermicro 2u is too long for skeletek, and my Norco rails are too wide (4220/rl-26). Something that you might run into as well.

My 1910 and APC UPS fit fine though copycat :D

ETA: My Supermicro 4U did fit just fine though

Last edited:
How do you like that gooseneck light? I had one of the Furman units with a light and it broke on me twice during the warranty period. I returned the whole thing and got one without a light and stuck with my mini-mag.

The gooseneck isn't actually a light its a panel microphone for the RTS base station. That comm rack is OLD and due for replacement.

Just a heads up, my Supermicro 2u is too long for skeletek, and my Norco rails are too wide (4220/rl-26). Something that you might run into as well.

My 1910 and APC UPS fit fine though copycat :D

had the same problem with my supermicro 1U's rails, too wide to use them.

Only needed one Unifi to cover my client's office and warehouse space. Building is L-shaped, with the warehouse and 2 offices furthest away from the central location (utility closet where server, telco demarc, switch, router, and other gear lives). I loaded up Inssider on my laptop. I was getting roughly -70dBm to -80dBm in the office furthest away. Plenty of signal apparently to maintain a solid RDP connection while web browsing.

Sorry no pics of the install (was in a rush to get job done to head to 3 other appointments).

ubiquityunifi002small.jpg

ubiquityunifi004small.jpg

Bought a 3-pack of Ubiquiti Networks Unifi. Going to install one possibly two of them tomorrow at a client's office. Was unsure if one AP would fully cover the client's office. Can't find a vendor selling individual Unifi's so I had to buy a 3-pack. I'll probably sell the other one later (or keep for myself).

Let me know how they work out. Im currently using some D-Link wifi units in my office, POE modules, small things. But i don't think they perform that well, kinda slow and i dunno, not a big fan of them.

I just ordered a 3 pack of the UniFi APs for my home. I should get it next week and have some feed back/pictures the week after. I am looking forward to trying them out. If they are good then I might upgrade to the Pro's when they finally drop.

Either way my 3x Cisco 1232s are getting dated. I need/want WiFi-N.

Where are you all finding the UniFi APs in stock? None of the vendors I have contacted have them and are telling me they are on back-order... I am in the US, if that is the problem...

Where are you all finding the UniFi APs in stock? None of the vendors I have contacted have them and are telling me they are on back-order... I am in the US, if that is the problem...

I purchased the Unifi 3-pack available at www.fab-corp.com. A little more expensive than the other guys. I believe I contacted Streakwave and they didn't have any in stock.

Anytime UBNT has a great product they sell out. Used to have that problem with NanoStation M5's.

I buy from two distributors.

HD Communications in Hauppauge, NY since they are local to me
and most recently
DoubleRadius.com

Guess its time for me to post some pics up. These are pics of some of the equipment in our backup/DR data room. I will take pics from our main room if I get a chance today.

Im in the process of sending out over 700 Cisco 861's for our retail stores. They all connect back to our home office using IPSec tunnles and connect to a pair of Cisco 3945E Gen 2's that are load balancing..
2011-11-18_11-51-09_317.jpg

Core switches are Dell Powerconnect 6248's, access switches are PowerConnect 6248P, Cisco ASA 5520 in there as well. Core switches are going to be replaced by a Cisco 4507R+E soon with dual supervisors and will be linked to our other building using 10Gb dark fiber.
2011-11-18_11-48-59_49.jpg

Backup VMWare cluster(3 Dell R710's), equallogic SAN and our backup disk/tape setup.
2011-11-18_11-49-14_308.jpg

Last edited:
Guess its time for me to post some pics up. These are pics of some of the equipment in our backup/DR data room. I will take pics from our main room if I get a chance today.

Im in the process of sending out over 700 Cisco 861's for our retail stores. They all connect back to our home office using IPSec tunnles and connect to a Cisco 3945E Gen 2.
2011-11-18_11-51-09_317.jpg

you in Canada or us ? I get dispatched to set these up all the time for remote locations...

Im in the US. I pre-configure them and then ship them out to our stores. We have them hooked up to DSL/T1/Uverse/Cable depending on what the store qualified for.

Spent part of Friday playing with a Force10 S25N switch that Dell sent us as a test but we had already decided to go with the 4507's. Cant wait to get my hands on them.

Spent part of Friday playing with a Force10 S25N switch that Dell sent us as a test but we had already decided to go with the 4507's. Cant wait to get my hands on them.

What's the story on the 6248s and going to the 4507. I have a feeling I know why, but just curious anyways. We have a 6248 / 6224 stack as our core switches and they do a good job at it.

After a couple of decades service she's finally passed away. On to Laptop Dino heaven

IMAG0714.jpg

IMAG0716.jpg

Another update of one of our remote sites. New ProCurve 2520's w/PoE and a refurb 7103dl Router.

Going to put up two outdoor UniFi's and one indoor model to replace our Meraki's.

Im in the process of sending out over 700 Cisco 861's for our retail stores. They all connect back to our home office using IPSec tunnles and connect to a pair of Cisco 3945E Gen 2's that are load balancing..
*image snipped*
what retail company do you work for ????? if you can disclose that?

What's the story on the 6248s and going to the 4507. I have a feeling I know why, but just curious anyways. We have a 6248 / 6224 stack as our core switches and they do a good job at it.

We have two stacks of the 6248's(4 in our main data center and 2 in our backup). we are running OSPF in the network and as I started turning up tunnels, we started having issues. the 6248's started locking up and routes started dropping. Come to find out there is an unadvertised limitations in the 6248's that they can only hand 224 dynamic routes. the switches were locking up and ended up causing a very bad weeks worth of work for myself and my two bosses as we tried to sort out the mess. We finally exhausted all possible options with OSPF area configs and determined that the 6248's or even Dell's new 7048's just weren't going to do the job for us. They have a very small amount of packet buffer memory and their performance just isnt what we need. We were considering going with 3750X's but in terms of scalability and price for performance, the 4507's are where its at.

Our final config for the 4507's that we ordered is 4507R+E with dual 2800 watt power supplies, dual 7LE supervisors with 10Gb fiber uplinks, and two 4748 full line rate uPoE gigabit line cards. In the future we will definitely be adding more line cards, possible a WAP card or maybe a full 10GbE line card for server stuff.

what retail company do you work for ????? if you can disclose that?

id prefer not to say just in case someone gets any silly ideas :LOL:. we currently have over 750 stores and are still growing so there is no shortage of work for me :)

What's a WAP card? You mean a WiSM? Unless something has changed recently, you can only get those (and other service modules) on 6500s.

(some cards are also coming for the 7K)

I probably used the wrong name for the card but it basically handles the WAP configuration and you just plug antennas into it instead of having multiple access points to configure.

I probably used the wrong name for the card but it basically handles the WAP configuration and you just plug antennas into it instead of having multiple access points to configure.

Wha? How would you get sufficient coverage with a model like that? Do you have a model number or anything?

im checking now. I think you are right with the WiSM, I just have to find it for the 4500's.

Doesn't exist. And you don't plug antennae into it. It's a wireless LAN controller. It is a central management point for your WAPs.

Another update of one of our remote sites. New ProCurve 2520's w/PoE and a refurb 7103dl Router.

Going to put up two outdoor UniFi's and one indoor model to replace our Meraki's.

Whats with the sweet adtran switch in the middle of no where

We have two stacks of the 6248's(4 in our main data center and 2 in our backup). we are running OSPF in the network and as I started turning up tunnels, we started having issues. the 6248's started locking up and routes started dropping. Come to find out there is an unadvertised limitations in the 6248's that they can only hand 224 dynamic routes. the switches were locking up and ended up causing a very bad weeks worth of work for myself and my two bosses as we tried to sort out the mess. We finally exhausted all possible options with OSPF area configs and determined that the 6248's or even Dell's new 7048's just weren't going to do the job for us.)

Good to know... Not sure if we will ever run into that problem anytime soon

Holy super duper UPS overkill batman. Isn't that a 4Kw UPS?

Back