Network pics thread

I spy an ME3400. What services from att are you using it for? Vanilla metro ethernet? Any close up pictures of it?

20Mbps fiber Ethernet hand off, with the ability to upgrade it to 100Mbps later without any changes. They said I should be able to get up to 1GbE out of it no problem as well, but said 100Mbps should be guaranteed. So far it's a HUGE improvement over the 3Mbps bonded T1's we had. :)

EDIT: I'll need to take close up's later.

Last edited:
I can never work out how the vlans worked on the L2 HP switches. They use all different terms to cisco and it gets me confused! :D

Add all your VLAN's to the switch.

On the cisco you would normally do dot1q encapsulation on the port. On the HP side you just set all VLAN's to tagged on that port.

Can you spot the trunked port? Also HP calls it a tagged port, what HP calls a trunk, cisco calls Etherchannel. But for the purpose of this exercise, it's a "dot1q trunk." :)

Id3Z.png

Basically that port would go to another port on the HP, setup just the same, all tagged. Or a cisco port that's setup as a dot1q trunk. Or to a router in a similar fashion, the ProCurve router is setup for dot1q to the HP core switch. :)

Got my Skeletek Rack in today, I cannot believe the quality of this rack and features considering it was $150. Easy to assemble, and I can expand it need be. Really recommend buying these if you need a rack. The top will be all my stuff, and the bottom half will probably be my future cisco lab.

Not much cool stuff to show off yet, since my Dell PowerConnect 5224 isn't here yet, and all my "production" network stuff isn't going to moved in here until then. Below though is what I have done so far. That's a Monoprice patch panel, 2 of my extra Firebox Xs running pfSense, and the cable manager is Skeletek's. There is a Skeltek PDU-9 hidden in the back, but it's not worth taking a picture of on its own.

w3Cntl.jpg

SZ0OIl.jpg

I need a nice rackmount UPS that works on a home power outlet. The ones I see on ebay are either lame or too expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for which UPSs are worth buying and redoing the batteries if needed? I would like 1500VA-2000VA total, doesn't have to be all in one unit.

Last edited:
I always buy mine on refurbups.com, i think the prices are decent and they come w/ new batteries installed and they dont rape you on shipping like a lot of online resellers.

Heres one with a regular plug, 980w. I wouldnt buy anything more than a 1500w because you are likely to trip your breakers in your place.
http://www.refurbups.com/APC-SUA1500RM2U-Smart-UPS-1500-Rack-Mount-2U?sc=2&category=1574

I *could* have a 30amp line run, as I have electricans in the family, but I'd rather not go to the trouble. Thanks for the link, I've seen the site before, but never saw that unit.

I have a really stupid question. That rack looks it would be perfect for my closet in my new place, but can you hang really heavy things like a UPS or a server on them? Are they really only connected by the bolts and the front and all that weight hanging off the back doesn't hurt anything?

I always buy mine on refurbups.com, i think the prices are decent and they come w/ new batteries installed and they dont rape you on shipping like a lot of online resellers.

Heres one with a regular plug, 980w. I wouldn't buy anything more than a 1500w because you are likely to trip your breakers in your place.
http://www.refurbups.com/APC-SUA1500RM2U-Smart-UPS-1500-Rack-Mount-2U?sc=2&category=1574

I have that exact same ups :) works awesome, only thing i need to research is a Ethernet card for it so i can tell it to turn off both servers if there is a power outage.

Do you know if any card will work in it ?

I have a really stupid question. That rack looks it would be perfect for my closet in my new place, but can you hang really heavy things like a UPS or a server on them? Are they really only connected by the bolts and the front and all that weight hanging off the back doesn't hurt anything?

The rack he posted i belive has 4 posts at the bottom, and then closer to the top it's 2 posts.

Edit : sorry its a few pages bck for the one I'm talking about..

Last edited:
refurbUPS sells the card but they charge way too much, buy one on ebay for $30

AP9617

shiiit there's an RT3000 in texas for 500 ending in a few hours, wish I lived near there.

refurbUPS sells the card but they charge way too much, buy one on ebay for $30

AP9617

shiiit there's an RT3000 in texas for 500 ending in a few hours, wish I lived near there.

Can u configure a ups to shut down 2 servers ?

The rack I bought can either have 4 posts added later, or bought in a package that comes with 4 post kit already.

Can u configure a ups to shut down 2 servers ?

You could easily configure the UPSs shutdown script to remotely shutdown other systems. Some UPS management software has the ability to use "agents" on other computers that will shut them down.

Euro wiring always confuses me. Why only one light fixture?
I just ran new power to my shop, but for a much different purpose. 100amp @220v for my machine tools and maybe a hot tub, haha.

There is another light fixture closer to where i'm standing to take the photo (out of frame). I'll then have a bench along one side with a lamp or two for intricate work.

photo.jpg

We have won a new support contract for a local car car dealership, this is a picture of their comms cabinet, in there is 3 switchs, 1 Intel IDSN router(which is there default gateway for all their PC) 2x837 Cisco routers, A netgear DG834 adsl router for interner access, plus a zyxel(i think??) for remote users to VPN in.

Most of our closets at work look like this and it's a hospital. I wish I could post pics but I'd probably get some flac for it. They have a new wing which was actually done really nicely though. The problem is, because it's a hospital, once something is up, you can never ever ever touch it again because it's 24/7 operation. At one point they were actually using BIX panels. They'd strip all the insulation off the cat 5 cables and run them in a bundle to a BIX panel, and from there it would go to the patch panel. No idea why one would do this.

Most of our closets at work look like this and it's a hospital. I wish I could post pics but I'd probably get some flac for it. They have a new wing which was actually done really nicely though. The problem is, because it's a hospital, once something is up, you can never ever ever touch it again because it's 24/7 operation. At one point they were actually using BIX panels. They'd strip all the insulation off the cat 5 cables and run them in a bundle to a BIX panel, and from there it would go to the patch panel. No idea why one would do this.

Haha, yeah I hear you. Our newest hospital is done nicely and neat, but some of our older hospitals and buildings... dear heavens they are a mess and can't be taken down to be redone.

After recently running power to the garage i moved the servers and re-racked them today: http://tickett.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/servers-re-racked/

Awaiting delivery of the UPS, new router, cisco phones and fibre to link to the house then i'll be rewiring drops into each of the rooms inside the house and probably ordering some poe ip cameras.

what are you using to run your cisco phones ? What phones are you using ? Rack looks much better good work.

I have to do the same thing today, running a new coax wire from one location to the new server room closet, then 3 cat 5 cables and then mount the wireless ap.

So far it covers the house where it is, ( corner of house in man land ) but i want it out of my man land room off the desk and mounted where it is suppose to be :) ..

what are you using to run your cisco phones ? What phones are you using ? Rack looks much better good work.

I have to do the same thing today, running a new coax wire from one location to the new server room closet, then 3 cat 5 cables and then mount the wireless ap.

So far it covers the house where it is, ( corner of house in man land ) but i want it out of my man land room off the desk and mounted where it is suppose to be :) ..

I will be using trixbox (i had it up and running a while ago but everything's been reworked since then). And the the phones are all Cisco 7940's at the moment (using POE). I'm using a Cisco WAP4410N wireless access point (using POE).

The Kenable ebay shop there ltickett? I live about 10 mins away from there. Always use them and pick up from their store, pretty good for all the gubbns needed for basic cables etc.

some updates of my network mess @ home.

This weekend i did some more wiring, Mounted the WAP & ran a cat5e cable to it, through the attic from the MAN lan closet :)

DSCN3058.JPG

Doing some wiring in man land, cables go through this wall, and into the closet, there are 6 cat5e cables going from here to my desk ( strapped up under the desk )
DSCN3061.JPG

the rack YES YES it's a huge mess as i was moving things around and working on things getting it all back on line.

DSCN3060.JPG

I need to ordere 1-2 more basic pdu's for the rack since i have more equipment in it, the current 10 port one is full..

tinker box i was playing with this weekend learning 2008r2 storage server & iscsi got it all figured out so time to format the box and onto the next project.
DSCN3059.JPG

got it free :) its a core2duo 4 gigs 160 gig hdd :) it's quit and runs very cold.

do me and you a favor and bail on storage server now.. set up something with open filer or free nas and be done with it. I vote freenas given it can be installed on a 4gb usb drive easily

Updated my network rack, totally restructured my network. Removed things and redid the way things were done. Here is what the rack looked like before
img2262gt.jpg

and after
img2982bz.jpg

Differences include actually mouting the cisco WAP on the wall behind, still need to get it mounted on the cieling but that will look bad so i got some work to do to get it mounted. Collapsed my network from 2 layers of switching down to one. Made no sense to have the 2 tiers when the one switch only had like 3 devices on it. Unracked all the lab stuff i had so i can sell it. never used it anyways and stopped going for the certs, not like i'll ever use them anyways. Made custom patch cables for the patch panel , looks much neater now and much easier to trace. And yes, every single port on that switch is used LOL, the ones that are off are like our xbox's, PS3, and HTPC that only are on when being used. Also moved my UPS onto a shelf where its more visible. Still would like to just get an actual rackmoutable version but to go any larger i would need to get a new circuit ran so its sufficient for now.

My network is also VLAN'd now, i have a main vlan for all basic access, a guest VLAN that is isolated from the standard one. management VLAN thats only accessible from the same VLAN(had to trunk it to my desktop to even access). A Storage VLAN thats also isolated and only iSCSI, NFS use. And a voice VLAN for only my VoIP phones that will eventually have absolute highest QoS. Heres a diagram of my network if anyone wants to see it. Nothing in the pic that could be used against me so its all good hehe.
network.png

do me and you a favor and bail on storage server now.. set up something with open filer or free nas and be done with it. I vote freenas given it can be installed on a 4gb usb drive easily

May I ask why not WSS2008? I've been looking into using it for iSCSI for my Hyper-V server (Once I get a replacement mobo for my PE 1950)

Back