Network pics thread

since when? they use faraday cages on alot of things that are isolated , i have seen them used on over a mic to kill ambient frequencies and it wasnt grounded

Silly humans, there is a reason people build wifi reflectors out of tinfoil, you're only amplifying the wifi brain frying.

In other news, one of the units appears bricked (main led never comes on, going to try a tftp/serial ref lash, never did that before tho) and one was built without a reset button. I don't even know how that happens. The PCB clearly never had a reset switch soldered down, luckily two nails could bridge the connection, lol

Somewhere I`ve seen the Ubiquiti POE injector/supplies with a built in reset button so you don`t have to get to the AP to do a reset (Should the need arise!?)

Unusual that there isn`t one at all on one of yours... are you sure they`re all LR`s?

I have one LR and mine certainly has one (I`ve used it many times)

The missus and I have decided to convert my manland into an entertainment center (big screen TV, HTPC, etc) so manland had to go.

I'm starting the process of moving all of my gear into the crawlspace and migrating my work area into her sewing area. It would suck hardcore if I wasn't getting a kickass entertainment center in return.

I was going to start a worklong about it after things got underway, but I figured I'd post some before pics to satisfy dash's jones for pictures... :D

Here's manland now. What you can't see are my 60w practice amp, my 400w gigging amp, two basses, two electric guitars, an acoustic guitar, a classical guitar, 4U of sound gear and piles and piles of crap:

IMG_0343.JPG

An aforementioned pile of crap currently listed on ebay:
stack_sm.png

Here's where it's going:

IMG_0344.JPG

The cardboard squares are mockups for how my three monitors will fit in a much smaller area. Meh. Note the horrible green walls and piles of laundry. Double meh.

Here's the other side of the wall, where my rack is going:
IMG_0345.JPG

The current plan is to get a couple extender cables and run KVM through the wall.

Little tip... how new is that water heater? If you put a rack/wall rack in, im guessing it may block getting access to remove/reinstall that water heater? Also if that water heater goes, i dont know if i like the idea of having computer equipment nearby that could get wet... just food for thought. People never think about the "ohh crap" scenarios, but you may want to re-thnk where you are putting your gear so its safe and to prevent headaches later.

What if your on vacation and the heater goes (which is when it will of course). Do you trust a neighbor to remove your PC gear so the plumber can install a new water heater?

Little tip... how new is that water heater? If you put a rack/wall rack in, im guessing it may block getting access to remove/reinstall that water heater? Also if that water heater goes, i dont know if i like the idea of having computer equipment nearby that could get wet... just food for thought. People never think about the "ohh crap" scenarios, but you may want to re-thnk where you are putting your gear so its safe and to prevent headaches later.

What if your on vacation and the heater goes (which is when it will of course). Do you trust a neighbor to remove your PC gear so the plumber can install a new water heater?

Doesn't building code require setback from both the furnace and the water heater for service access? I don't think there's room for a rack there in the first place.

Doesn't building code require setback from both the furnace and the water heater for service access? I don't think there's room for a rack there in the first place.

Its a residence, i doubt he is getting it inspected if he is doing it himself.

Then what does it matter if its against code?

Code gives us minimum recommendations for safety and strength when making buildings. Just that something won't be inspected isn't a reason to avoid following code. In this case, following code would avoid the maintenance issues that Adam pointed out, as well as the safety issues of having the equipment nearby the boiler.

Further, construction inspection isn't the only time that code issues can be discovered. If the house is sold, for example the buying party might notice the problem created by the inappropriate installation of an equipment rack in this location and demand that it be remedied before the purchase goes through. Any competent home inspector would raise the issue, as the location of the rack impedes required maintenance and operation of the hot water heater and furnace both.

Worse yet, if there's a claim to insurance for damage caused by one of those appliances, the claims adjuster may be able to reduce or deny payment because of willful code violations discovered at the site.

People shouldn't need code to be smart, and can't rely on building inspections to promote safety.

I never said it was a good idea, i just said it didnt matter and it doesnt.

Thanks mikeblas for pointing this stuff out. I hadn't considered service access and building code issues and had to do my homework on this. These are all good points for consideration and thank you for bringing them up.

As it turns out, there are building code requirements that state that a bedroom cannot contain a water heater and stuff like that, but water heater clearance dimensions are established by the individual manufacturer, so I am going to have to look into that.

Building codes require 30" of clearance in front of the service panel of the furnace and I will have 32" (whew!).

As far as protecting my gear if the water heater blows:

My basement is really dusty, even more so because my workshop is in there and sawdust gets everywhere, so I am planning on fully sealing my cabinet (picture a Big Wood Box) and having a set of filtered fans in the front door and exhaust fans in the top, providing overpressure to the cabinet to keep the dust out.

If the heater goes, I'm hoping that the 1/2" plywood walls of my cabinet protect my gear, and I'll be taking the cabinet of gear out of the space when we sell the place, lest prospective buyers think the cabinet is included...

Also,

Do you trust a neighbor to remove your PC gear so the plumber can install a new water heater?

I wouldn't trust my neighbor anywhere near my house, let alone IN it. :rolleyes:

I never said it was a good idea, i just said it didnt matter and it doesnt.
You'd be right, except that it does.
My basement is really dusty, even more so because my workshop is in there and sawdust gets everywhere, so I am planning on fully sealing my cabinet (picture a Big Wood Box) and having a set of filtered fans in the front door and exhaust fans in the top, providing overpressure to the cabinet to keep the dust out.
Around the cabinet only, or around the gas appliances?

Somewhere I`ve seen the Ubiquiti POE injector/supplies with a built in reset button so you don`t have to get to the AP to do a reset (Should the need arise!?)

Unusual that there isn`t one at all on one of yours... are you sure they`re all LR`s?

I have one LR and mine certainly has one (I`ve used it many times)

Or just unplug power from the POE injector...

The problem isn't power cycles, it's resetting the firmware so I can adopt the access point in the controller. I had one of the reset PoE injectors, but it cant do a factory reset as far as I can tell.

I just opened the unit shorted the contacts for where the switch should have been, was able to re-adopt it then.

Forgot if I posted these or not.

I purchased some BNIB rails from a local ewaste recyclers for $10/each. Presumably off some 2850/2950 2u Dell's.
187aw.jpg

By thespyder at 2011-10-17

I wanted to use them on our R710's and after some quick test fitting I realized they just needed a little help from our manual machining center. The center pin was off by just under a inch. Since these use 3 pins, I felt it safe to simply machine away the unnecessary material. The outside pins still allow the server to lock in to place.
191rrgd.jpg

By thespyder at 2011-10-17
Before debur.
189z.jpg

By thespyder at 2011-10-17'

So far they have worked great, we have unracked the servers 1/2 a dozen times or so.

Some pics of the updated room ( still in progress )

Desk, with 3 monitors, the middle 23" lcd was given to me today free, customer was going to throw it in the garbage she didn't want it :p

DSCN3050.JPG

To the left,, working on my WHS11 box, slowly.

DSCN3051.JPG

Free tower x 3 * on under desk * will be tinker boxes when i get some time to do some linux playing etc etc.
DSCN3052.JPG

Did some rack work this weekend, Moved my servers together, WSS11 box will go 1 u above the top server. Moved my cisco router & switch up will play with this some day, when i get time and energy to learn cli and stuff with it. moved other home switches up too.

DSCN3053.JPG

Finally got my SQL server lab built in the colo:

six aging but still sturdy IBM x336 servers (6GB RAM, dual Xeon, 2x 36gb SCSI HD)

photo3.JPG

connected to the SAN via 2GB Emulex Lightpulse fiber HBAs:

photo4-362103870.JPG

The aging Compaq MSA1000 with two 5-port fiber switches and 256mb cache and 28x74gb SCSI hard drives:

photo2.JPG

the jet engines:

photo1.JPG

I would have loved to get active/active to the second fiber switch, but 1U boxes don't have the slots for two HBAs.

Last edited:
Some pics of the updated room ( still in progress )

Desk

DSCN3050.JPG

I love the worktable, Dash.

I built a new desk last weekend for the corner of my new manland and it's pretty similar to yours: A bunch of pine 2x4's and some lined plywood. I built a new desk for $60 in lumber. :D

I love the worktable, Dash.

I built a new desk last weekend for the corner of my new manland and it's pretty similar to yours: A bunch of pine 2x4's and some lined plywood. I built a new desk for $60 in lumber. :D

mine was about 100$ ish, because i bought 2 sheets of onegood sided ply wood.

lol... thats a lot of power. Not bad for Co-lo though. I normally get half of that.

Yeah man, this gear is circa 2004, long before people were worried about brownouts, green computing, etc.

I ran this setup in my house and my electric bill shot up by $400 the first month I had it up (and NOT running it 24x7). So I took it all down and hauled it to the colo where it ran my company for seven years.

Now I've let my company go and I don't need the complexity of a fully redundant setup, so now it's in my work colo as a database lab, turning electricity into heat very, very inefficiently.

Fun part is that I only have one of the two power supplies on each 336 plugged in. I could add another four 400w power supplies into the mix and start the glow from the cabinet will be seen from space.

six aging but still sturdy IBM x336 servers (6GB RAM, dual Xeon, 2x 36gb SCSI HD)

I had a client who had 2 of them. Nice servers. PITA when we wanted to blow them away and start over. We made it work and up until recently 1 served as a terminal server and the other as a WSUS server just fine... or so I hear

Finally got all of the ProCurve gear installed and working. Proper VLAN config, etc. :)

Still more cleanup to do. :)

All that nice gear and smack dab in the center is a 3600 cisco router LOL.. what is that bad boy used for

Its a DWDM ROADM shelf where we add/drop ITUs (wavelenths) from various devices. This is how we trasnport all of our services, HSD, VOD, etc...around the region....

Not sure what the 3600 is actually used for....rack space is at a premium in our facilites. LOL

That cabling is much too clean.

Truth be told, the wiring is messy and not up to standard. I originally deployed this chassis and made sure the fiber flowed into each SFP/ Xenpak perfectly and some dingbat came in and ran new 10g links to the box and left way too big of a loop.

Truth be told, the wiring is messy and not up to standard. I originally deployed this chassis and made sure the fiber flowed into each SFP/ Xenpak perfectly and some dingbat came in and ran new 10g links to the box and left way too big of a loop.

While I agree that it could be cleaned up a little, that's still WAY more clean than you typically see those things. :D

Finally got all of the ProCurve gear installed and working. Proper VLAN config, etc. :)

Still more cleanup to do. :)

I spy an ME3400. What services from att are you using it for? Vanilla metro ethernet? Any close up pictures of it?

Last edited:
I can never work out how the vlans worked on the L2 HP switches. They use all different terms to cisco and it gets me confused! :D

Back