Network pics thread

Clustered because there are quite a few databases running on the cluster. Second, I only need one license of SQL Enterprise if they're clustered.
Same is true of mirroring. Mirroring works fine across multiple databases, too.

Corge, that is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you. I'm going to take pictures of my home network closet and Cisco lab/test rack here pretty quick. I have a new Cisco 2960-24G to replace my current switch at my house and want to get that in place first. I also have two Colubris access points for wireless to install.

Where did you find those rj45 ends/boots that your using that are sorta clear looking. I saw these once and have never been able to find them since.

I finally got to the end of this post and thought it might be time to share.

When I started, this building had a half dozen different switches with whatever patch cords they could find thrown into the rack. just draping the cables in front of everything.

Things were going great with the new install until...

The 4506-e did not have enough switch modules for the number of drops. Then the second switch ran out of ports because we could not remove the AD controller like the server team was hoping.

Then the only fiber we had in stock for the uplink for the two switches was this massive bundle.

Also no brackets to mount the 2811 which added to the pain.
Then the finally slap... the cable order was shipped 3/4 blue and the last 1/4 this ugly purple color.

workrack1.jpg

workrack2.jpg

wish I had a before picture, but oh well.

I have those and they work on EZ ends but I couldn't get them to work on regular connectors

But maybe that was me. Not sure

Where did you find those rj45 ends/boots that your using that are sorta clear looking. I saw these once and have never been able to find them since.

I've seen them on some premade cables I have. Not sure where you can get those ends. They're nice looking

What do you guys think of the Panduit cable managers?

also

What the hell should I do with this mess?

There is no space between patch panels for more tidys, there is no opening at the sides of the rails its just a solid front!

Last edited:
The cables in NeXuS1's picture look like Ortronics.
Jay, as far as your picture goes, I suggest these, lol
00392-20_zoom.jpg

I started here 12 months ago and have 3 cabs like this, I just can't get the time to do them and becuase the racks are really old and pretty crap its going to be very hard to manage the cables correctly. On a good note they are all numbered.

i would pull them all out, get a spool of cat6 and make all the same color and cut to length what you need and buy a bunch of velcro straps, it would look alot more professional and save some headache in the long run of tracking stuff down

i would pull them all out, get a spool of cat6 and make all the same color and cut to length what you need and buy a bunch of velcro straps, it would look alot more professional and save some headache in the long run of tracking stuff down

Id go one step further, id measure the length needed order what is needed and then install them and velcro them.

Screw making them that takes WAY to long especially when a cat6 cable is less than 2$.

When making them you have to test them crop them cut them etc etc etc.. Pain in the but, maybe if it was like one or two to make.

That's how the real world looks a couple months after a new deployment.

so true, my rack was spotless then as you get rushed cause someone's connection went down in a meeting or a server dropped and your trouble shooting, or a port dies things get messy fast when you got someone ridding your ass to get it working.

and you always think "i will clean it up later" but then you never do., I just started redoing my racks after a year + of them looking pretty messy.

I am being tasked with a new VMware project next week. I have to migrate an older server to a new Dell T710 or R710, I forget the exact model. This should be fun and I will take some pics.:D

What do you guys think of the Panduit cable managers?

also

What the hell should I do with this mess?

mess.jpg

There is no space between patch panels for more tidys, there is no opening at the sides of the rails its just a solid front!

Pull every wire out and do this:

n1095570040_30192846_3457716.jpg

Is there a name for that method? I would like to Google up some tutorials/guides/rules/conventions in doing that.

I think it is referred to as the "proper" method, the "professional" method, or perhaps even the "correct" method. Or how about "doing it the "[H]ard way"?

We have custom length patch cords (6") to go from our patch panels to the switches. It's a work of art. 48 port Dell switches and 48 port Panduit patch panels. I almost never have to move anything since every port is patched in.

I still don't think he has the space the do this (unless there's more room at the top that just isn't in the photo)...

I dont recommend neat patch. Well okay I do and I don't..

1) The term is "wire management"
2) Neatpatch is expensive, about $60 for each panel, but they are nice. But they are heavy duty plastic
3) I use "cheap patches" i call them, about $10 each and are made of a more flexible plastic. A lot cheaper.

I use the neat patches at work and for my high-end clients who will pay for em. Otherwise in the photo i posted, im using a "cheap patch" i call it, its a wire manager basically with plastic fingers. A lot of companies make them.

Why? How do you justify the downtime and expesne?

Is this your client or your own office? If its a client (or even your own office) you justify it as this... how long does it take you to troubleshoot a bad line or to add a line, because you have to sort through the mess.

In the IT world you can do it RIGHT and have it work or you can do it WRONG and have it work.

I like to do things right the first time, rather then coming back to fix it later. If you did this install the first time, then you should be ashamed and from now on, practice proper wire management.

If this is a takeover job, then its easy to blame the old company. Or if this is one of your OLDER network jobs and you've gotten better since, thats fine, you'll hafta figure out how to word it to the client.

A neat rack has less problems, thats my philosophy (or any problems it has, i dont get an urge to kill someone as i have to sort through nasty wires, because everything is organized)

I have 2 switches only in that rack but 100s of ports so I can't do it that way sadly. I would love to have 1 u between each 24 port patch panel but some of then are huge 48 port panels and have no gaps anywhere between them. We even have patch panels at the bottom of the rack out of that picture!

The cost of putting cisco kit in for all ports is just stupid, I don't know how anyone can justify having all ports live all the time

Last edited:
how long does it take you to troubleshoot a bad line or to add a line, because you have to sort through the mess.

This really isn't that big of a deal, IMO. Swapping blades/switches is really where good cabling helps. It's so very rare in real life though.

Is this your client or your own office? If its a client (or even your own office) you justify it as this... how long does it take you to troubleshoot a bad line or to add a line, because you have to sort through the mess.
Your explanation doesn't tell me how the slightly longer conditional time to diagnose or change a circuit is justified by the certainty that the system will be down for an extended period while it is re-wired.

Certainly, starting out neat is desireable. Staying neat through changes might not always be possible -- emergency maintenance is emergency maintenance and getting things working takes precedence over making everything neat and tidy. In commercial environments, at least.

Back