Network pics thread

awesome! !!

it is awesome, i wish i was more involved in the initial config of the controller so i could give a little more information on how its all setup, but i wasnt involved in it and until it goes 100% production here i dont have access to the controller to take a look at the config, theres 3 ways that the ap can be setup, completely like an lwapp ap that everything gets tunneled through and then theres 2 hybrid modes, one you have the tunneled ssid and a preconfigured local ssid that dumps the traffic on your local lan and another where you have the tunneled ssid and can configure your own ssid and authentication for local use (really easy to do). i love the way it works cause when im on call i can just go home, open my laptop and be on the network...much easier then finding my securid, then vpn in, then login to CCA, then get on the network...i work for one of the largest hospital groups in the northeast and our infosec group considers this an acceptable means of remote access, right now its just a pilot but will eventually be a live option

finally a picture from home...

top to bottom...

1232 (workgroup bridge for connectivity to my home network)
3 pdu's
3x 3640 (tons of interfaces)
1x 2621xm
1x 2651xm
1x pix515e
2x 3550-24
2x 3640g-48ps
1x 4530 sup2+ts 4548-gb-rj45v 4448-gb-rj45
1x ls1010
1x 6506 sup2-msfc2 6408-gbic 6148a-gb-45af

not everything is plugged in yet...ran out of patch cables, need to come up with some more ...still need more atm interfaces so i can get everything in the atm cloud (unless i scrap that idea for now), to figure out what im going to do to get the octal's to reach everything for console and a flexwan or two for the 6500, its going to be my frame switch...once everything is plugged in ill make a visio and share it...

not pictured is my home network...2811 with a 16 port ESW, 2fxo card, an ap-1232 for wireless for home and a lap-1152 that connects to office extend at work (which is awesome)

this is simply beautiful, and is how Im looking at building up mine once I move out from home and get my own place :D

this is simply beautiful, and is how Im looking at building up mine once I move out from home and get my own place :D

thanks :) im taking my time cabling it up nice and keeping it neat...my wife calls it mount rackmore...right now its actually in our bedroom behind the door, so usage is only permitted when were both awake which is no big deal

That is freakin' sweet :) how many months did it take to get the hardware? or did you go on a Cisco spree?

it took a while...the ap, 6500, 3550's and pix were in the last month, got those from a friend

2600xm's, 3560's, 4503, ls1010 and pdu's were all decom'd hardware accumulated over the last year, the 3640's ive had for a while, i gave a friend a few 2950's and 2600's that were replaced by newer hardware recently.

im sure the ls1010 is wasting valuble rack space right now that i could throw a few more routers in, it will probably become a "floor mount" unit next to the rack to save valuable space ;) til i start getting deeper in the SP stuff and need an atm switch

i think i need a new rack... my current one isn't deep enough for the rails for my Dell PE 2950's and it has no additional width for cable management etc

Also moving house and think it's going to be coming in the house from the garage so probably need some sort of acoustic solution = super pricey!

Build your own. I built my own rack out of wood and it cost me about $80 for the lumber and rails.

If you are interested in an acoustic solution, screw some MDF to the sides, and build doors for the front and back using MDF, some heavy duty hinges and stacked air filters to dampen noise through a set of 120mm holes bored into the front and back.

I built the rack and tested it with doors because it was going to live in a spare bedroom, but never ended up using the doors since it got relegated to the basement. It was surprisingly quiet.

Last edited:
We used to use a half height closed box/rack which had AcoustiPack on all the sides and 2x120MM fans on top and an open bottom, running 2xPE1950's it reduced the noise by about 90% and the heat didn't seem to be a problem in either summer or winter, mind you our summers are distinctively mediocre compared to some.

There will probably be a cheap option to the branded sound proofing stuff but as I agree with agrikk, make you own :)

it took a while...the ap, 6500, 3550's and pix were in the last month, got those from a friend
;):D

I want my vertical cable manager son! :D .... I need to post up some pics when I reorg the new rack in the new place. Going to get the WLC working, maybe get some VPN NS's on an outside VLAN, get the MDS up and running.. who knows

;):D

I want my vertical cable manager son! :D .... I need to post up some pics when I reorg the new rack in the new place. Going to get the WLC working, maybe get some VPN NS's on an outside VLAN, get the MDS up and running.. who knows

Haha I have 2 maybe 3 of them put away at the hospital for ya and like 5horizontals

Got any t1 pa's your not using kicking around? I need more motivation to just buy the friggin flex wan haha the ATM oc3 isn't enough yet

updated pic, brought my file server up from the basement, the HDD's remain at same temp even up here. bought an ASA5505 to eventually build a DMZ off of it and to learn ASA's. oh also added a HDhomerun for network TV streaming.
DPP_00044.jpg

updated pic, brought my file server up from the basement, the HDD's remain at same temp even up here. bought an ASA5505 to eventually build a DMZ off of it and to learn ASA's. oh also added a HDhomerun for network TV streaming.
DPP_00044.jpg

CLean and sexy, the Cisco business router is what i use all the time :)

is the a super micro 1u box running ( what firewall ) ?

Fiber WHATTT!! nice.!

nice eye LOL, its hard to see the supermicro from that angle. currently its running server 2k8 R2, serving as DNS, DHCP, and AD for my network. Also runs syslog and netflow analyzers, basically its a learning server LOL. if i can get it working it will also be hosting a LAN game servers and a SVN repository. also use it for configuring my network equipment.

@Moose - erm why did you put the cable path in front of the 1U server? surely leaving the gap above it would have been a lot more sense? - also what Syslog analyzer are you using?

yeah positions aren't final, i'm always moving stuff around, one day i might find something i like. for syslog i'm using kiwi syslog server, simple and gets the job done.

Here's my new DragonWave Horizon Duo IDU... it supports dual channels and allows for up to 1.6gbps PtP transmission (providing you have full LOS)

I am waiting for the ODU unit to come in. Also waiting to wire this unit up with power, runs on -48VDC, and I only have one shelf that's already full.

This will link my house to my friends house, should be up in about 2 weeks.

Well, that's a shame. I thought maybe they finally did it. :)

Looks like some cool gear though, thats some impressive speed for a P2P wireless link.

Very cool, will need to see stats once the link is up. I'm working on some outdoor PTP wireless stuff right now too :)

What range are you attempting to make the shot at? LOS, nLOS, NLOS?

How far apart are your buildings at this time? it could be great to see the speeds you get when you go live! :)

What range are you attempting to make the shot at? LOS, nLOS, NLOS?

How far apart are your buildings at this time? it could be great to see the speeds you get when you go live! :)

We have clear LOS (There's a lake so the earth kind of dips and our houses are on tops of hills, kind of. We established that it was LOS a few nights ago, fired a 100mW green laser from my rooftop to his house at 4AM)

The houses are 14,950 feet apart, which is about 2.83 miles.

I am looking to get atleast 500mbps out of the link. It will be used to transport data, internet and VoIP.

dw05.jpg

So where do the fiber and ethernet cables go to?

I'm in the process of moving off of a single-core LAN/WAN topology to a seperate core for the WAN and one for the LAN.

Since I consider the PtP microwave link to be part of the WAN group, it will be connected to the 3750G switches.

We have clear LOS (There's a lake so the earth kind of dips and our houses are on tops of hills, kind of. We established that it was LOS a few nights ago, fired a 100mW green laser from my rooftop to his house at 4AM)

The houses are 14,950 feet apart, which is about 2.83 miles.

I am looking to get atleast 500mbps out of the link. It will be used to transport data, internet and VoIP.

3 questions for you:

1) What frequency is that running?

2) How much throughput are you licensed for?

3) What did you pay?

We have used lots of dragonwave products and have had nothing but good experiences with them!

@moose

Nice setup. I need a nice storage array. Im just not going to be happy till everything is at least triple redundant for data loss prevention.

also. 1975 called. It wants the carpet back. ;)

@moose

Nice setup. I need a nice storage array. Im just not going to be happy till everything is at least triple redundant for data loss prevention.

also. 1975 called. It wants the carpet back. ;)

ROFL tell me about it, not my choice, the parents won't let me rip it out and replace with some new carpet or a nice wood floor. i figure i live here rent free might as well help boost the value of the house but no LOL.

@PlusLabs, what is that cisco device above the 3700 and below the switches? sorry if i missed where you mentioned it

@PlusLabs, what is that cisco device above the 3700 and below the switches? sorry if i missed where you mentioned it

It's a Cisco CSS11000 SCA, basically acts as a front-end for an HTTP server farm. All the servers can be running HTTP without SSL, this box emulates each server and encrypts the data and makes it HTTPS.

dw06.jpg

dw07.jpg

dw08.jpg

I am still in the process of cleaning out the datacenter... we're getting there. Should be done by the end of this week...

Id love a hand full of those cables if they are free :) I have one YES ONE purple cable i carry around with me for working on networks or being wired at locations. ITS my baby LOL!

Wish i could find a nice orange one.

Back