Network pics thread

So far I'm loving it. Couple things I'm trying to figure out though. I was under the impression when wifi devices connect the led turns from green to blue.

It should....mine does anyway. That's actually the most entertaining thing about it, lol.

God I love this thread, please keep them coming guys, and I will be contributing my own soon also!

SONIC BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our ISP is and has been Ventelo for the last couple of years, this time they delievered us 30Gbit/s internet over a OC768 link (hence the need for a CRS-1) We used a private ASN and borrowed IP-addresses from ripe (89.22.0.0/16)

Mostly for getting ASN statistics in our netflow data ;) Fun fact, writing a route-policy wrong and injecting the whole BGP table into EIGRP does not make the CRS-1 crash ;) Learning by doing.

Everything that happened on stage (talks, concerts etc) was multicasted for everyone to watch, we also had some tv-channels.

Actually we didnt run VSS due to the control-plane limitations. We have extensive use of ip helper-address (play LAN games between subnets hack). We tried this one year with VSS and spiked the CPU hard. However the VSS sups are sweet due to their built-in 10G ports.

Network wise the sponsors are our ISP (Ventelo) my employer (ATEA) and Cisco. I started planning the network about 3 months before the party. And we start building it 5 days before the participants arrive.

Small commercial Cisco made at TG10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6XCaHX410o

I was curious to know what games were played, and if you have specific data in regards to the bandwidth consumed by various multiplayer games played...

rack1.gif

top to bottom
2950T
2950T
2950-24
2950G
2950G
3524XL
4006(Sup II, 4232-L3, 4148)
--------------------------------------------
Teltone ILS1000
Teltone ILS2000
871W
2924XL
rack2.gif

rack4.gif

rack3.gif

Some pics from my office move thread:

04.JPG

Dell PoE unit
Dell PowerConnect 6248P switch
Dell PoE unit
Dell PowerConnect 6248P switch

05.JPG

Cisco 1941 Series Router
Sonicwall 4500
Dell PowerConnect 2716
Cisco 1941 Series Router

not too much to see in these,

new core network rack im building up, cat6a to the other racks for uplinks. fibre will be in the bottom, kit for laser link (fso) will be in the middle.

4668307463_5cafc70f5f.jpg

and one of the messy racks that is being ripped out and replaced / tidied this weekend
4668289683_3f965e6b2d.jpg

lol, just 100

Yeah I was gonna say, there's like a $3,000 price difference. You can pick up the 100Mbps x 48 for pennies on the dollar. You can sell body parts to get the 1000Mbps x 48 modules. :p

Depending on how a partners deal goes through tomorrow I might end up with Dual 6509's with the same specs, SUP2, 16 x GBIC, 48 x 100Mbps, 16 x GigE, Dual 1300W PS. I'm also going to be moving my gear around inside of Colo4 to a new cabinet this weekend... FUN I'll take pics of the new setup and post that up. Mostly server related gear being moved/added.

Last edited:
PFSense Box
2.53GHz Celeron D
1GB PC2700 DDR
2x Intel Pro/100 S Nics.

P0606100000.jpg

Asus WL-520Gu for Wireless running Tomato 1.27
Linksys Cable Modem... seems to be rock solid and has never overheated, despite putting it through its paces on a daily basis.
3com Baseline 2824 24 port Gigabit Switch.. $60 ebay :D

P0606100001.jpg

so i re-did the rack on sunday

before:
and one of the messy racks that is being ripped out and replaced / tidied this weekend
4668289683_3f965e6b2d.jpg

and after:
4678522774_1754843dd0_b.jpg

its still not 100%, i needed some slightly longer cables than expected so had to go on the left until i can getthem in and re-patch them and i cant put the management in the very bottom until bt get my new circuit in as the old one is in the way.

yep, 2650pwr (voip poe) at the top, the rest are 2810-48g, big one sneaking in to the pic on the right is 8212 but its not gone into service yet

Last edited:
Just posted some more pics in my office move work log thread, but here's some highlights:

two domain controllers and KVM
IMG_2001.JPG

Cabling routers, public switch and firewall
IMG_2005.JPG

server cables going in
IMG_2008.JPG

Last edited:
Hah. Like I could quit mid-project.

Though the thought is tempting sometimes... :D

What's the specs of them?

Single quad-core Xeon X3430 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
2x 160GB SATA drives in RAID-1
iLO100 remote management

I really like these machines. They're snappy, the SmartStart software is a cinch to use and hassle-free.

My only gripe is that they don't come with cable management arms. Sliding them out of the rack for any kind of maintenance means either you've left three feet of slack hanging down the back of your cabinet (which will probably unplug as you slide it out anyways), or you unplug it to pull it out.

Single quad-core Xeon X3430 @ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
2x 160GB SATA drives in RAID-1
iLO100 remote management

I really like these machines. They're snappy, the SmartStart software is a cinch to use and hassle-free.

My only gripe is that they don't come with cable management arms. Sliding them out of the rack for any kind of maintenance means either you've left three feet of slack hanging down the back of your cabinet (which will probably unplug as you slide it out anyways), or you unplug it to pull it out.
okei.

@school we have DL320, and we have the same problem.

Guess I'll start looking at these servers instead.. :D I hate cable management arms. With a passion. I guess I'm use to if I have to work on a server it's getting shutdown anyways to be pulled back to a tech bench.

Guess I'll start looking at these servers instead.. :D I hate cable management arms. With a passion. I guess I'm use to if I have to work on a server it's getting shutdown anyways to be pulled back to a tech bench.

I have to disagree, I love the cable management arms on our HP DL385 G5s, they are a dream to be able to pull a server out from the middle of a stack and not have to worry about unplugging something else by mistake. I have done a lot of maintenance / upgrades all still in the rack.

The only cable management arms I can stand are the sun micro systems sunfire ones, they're fantastic. no sagging like the dell ones, rock solid.

I have to disagree, I love the cable management arms on our HP DL385 G5s, they are a dream to be able to pull a server out from the middle of a stack and not have to worry about unplugging something else by mistake. I have done a lot of maintenance / upgrades all still in the rack.

Same here, I love being able to pull out our servers and do ram upgrades, addon cards, cpu swaps. pretty much anything can be done except maybe a motherboard.

Well you can drive 45 some minutes over to my place and deal with all of my cable management arm stuff. I've just never had good luck with them. Oh well. I'll have to learn soon enough

Well you can drive 45 some minutes over to my place and deal with all of my cable management arm stuff. I've just never had good luck with them. Oh well. I'll have to learn soon enough

Some are good, some are total crap.

I have one for a HP server that is flimbsy and doesn't stay on, i have others that are top notch

Finally got some new shots, after the move to our new cab. Our previous colo provider managed to sell out, making life a little more fun. :(

Are those Load Balancers? At any rate, they look cool. :p That's worth $75 right there!

Back