Network pics thread

Finished a massive cleanup of the main office's wiring closet. This is the culmination of about 2 weeks of after hours work here and there. I also added 4 3750G's to the stack and removed some crappy Netgear switches, if you look close at the before pictures they are hidded in the mess :eek: All said and done I spent about $500 on new cable managers and all new patch cables for every connection. The old ones had boots that were so fat you could not plug 4 in next to each other. The before pictures are after I tried to tidy it up, eventually i gave up and ripped everything out :D I also color coded the cables for different things which is why they are not all b

AFTER:

M2mJNl.jpg

I think...Yes. There is a tear in my eye. Great job on the cleanup here. That's how a rack should look!!

oh my god dude... that is just sick!

Dash- I dunno if I would- my max download speed ive seen so far is 3.5meg/sec

oh my god dude... that is just sick!

Dash- I dunno if I would- my max download speed ive seen so far is 3.5meg/sec

I know for a fact I would :) I have a 50/5 and heavy traffic all day and all night. Night being heavier, I'm always downloading iso's and images for work and computers..

And I want ikvm so I can reboot it remotely like I can with my servers :)

Now that is hilarious. I saw the first top of the pic at first so I'm thinking "oh that's not too bad, it looks fairly neat, can't do much about the top due to the number of wires."

Then I scrolled down. :D

My cat would have fun in there.

Ok Dash- Now I gotcha- I have ipmi on one of my servers, but i barely use the server, and hence barely use the ipmi, hahahahaha

Im a little slower-30/5 I have a low load, bandwith limit is 250gb a month :(

Ok Dash- Now I gotcha- I have ipmi on one of my servers, but i barely use the server, and hence barely use the ipmi, hahahahaha

I'm a little slower-30/5 I have a low load, bandwith limit is 250gb a month :(

Yeah mines a little more than the average home user. I have a Shaw Business account, witch allows me to do anything i want.

So i have :

email server
webserver
vpn server's
voip server
2 download servers
few wiki servers.

the really only thing that kills my internet is the images and iso's i download for work and stuff.

Email & webserver sits at low cpu usage LOL thanks to mikeTrike, for helping me setup my email server.

WTF dude. Lol. Those are the old school BIX blocks too aren't they?

They kind of look like it, that's before my time :) We used to have to hand trace each line when we needed to do a vlan change which was horrible, but thankfully one of our last network guys installed Nedi now its just a quick IP search to find the switch/port.

I'd like to fix them but I have no idea how I could as they are not going to want to redo the drops, and the top one is running a 24/7/363 call center.

Last edited:
The chaos I had this week.,.. had to build 13 machines for a client's setup... lots and lots of equipment came in:

546448_3091836410296_1095570040_32434699_1932440823_n.jpg

Not that bad, when we were doing custom builds we would sometimes get an amount like that for a few days here and there.

Yeah mines a little more than the average home user. I have a Shaw Business account, witch allows me to do anything i want.

So i have :

email server
webserver
vpn server's
voip server
2 download servers
few wiki servers.

the really only thing that kills my internet is the images and iso's i download for work and stuff.

Email & webserver sits at low cpu usage LOL thanks to mikeTrike, for helping me setup my email server.

I should be setting up similar things for my home business, I have to get a low power system for it tho until I start making money

acid, I think I just threw up lol. Those are 110 blocks...okay for phone but tough to manage for data, as you can see :p

Kinda networking related, I am taking a HP microserver with x25 80gb SSD+ 4x 1.5tb HDD to my parents with the 881W. This will let me backup their servers and allow me to replicate some of my important info over VPN.
B73Xfl.jpg

With my workstation/HP microserver.
LffPcl.jpg

The chaos I had this week.,.. had to build 13 machines for a client's setup... lots and lots of equipment came in:

546448_3091836410296_1095570040_32434699_1932440823_n.jpg

Rom drives... haven't used one of those in an install for ages!! i love USB / PXE and images for software :)

I do still love building out own systems though versus letting someone else do it, all of the places in CR use crap $20 PSU's for any buids they have done, i now have purchasing keep an inventory of the Corsair's for me when i get systems in.

What will you use them for? What is consuming power besides the power brick?

3 watts was a power brick and the Pi connected to a network and running under load. I've got a few projects in mind. I've always tried to avoid running servers at home due to noise, heat and cost so the Pi opens up a few possibilities and should be powerful enough for what I need.

idk what server that could possibly run.. thats just me tho.

Servers can be loud, but if you do your homework, they don't have to be.

Dashpuppy is our resident expert on small quiet servers ;)

Servers can be loud, but if you do your homework, they don't have to be.

Dashpuppy is our resident expert on small quiet servers ;)

AWWW SHIAT! you made me go all warm and fuzzy :)

Yep, i sure am, ( well i try to be )

My last Asus RS300 was DEAD silent, i'm dead F'n serious.

The R415 I have is ok, its not LOUD stupidly, but it's not silent that's for sure.

it's technically all in the fan's and the blade pitch & how the bios handles the fan's through control.

3 watts was a power brick and the Pi connected to a network and running under load. I've got a few projects in mind. I've always tried to avoid running servers at home due to noise, heat and cost so the Pi opens up a few possibilities and should be powerful enough for what I need.

You really should look at the HP micro servers, $199 on sale. Dual Core/8gb ram/ 4x hard drives and 1x ODD. Great boxes. I have two on my desk and I can't hear them.

Update to my updated update, little to no network activity (email, facebook, light surfing) with the case/lid on lifts the CPU temp to 81.5 - 82 Degrees Celsius! This Thing NEEDS a fan!

Or mount it on its side. Just turning it sideways to let convection do its thing will drop it 5-8C.

edit: Oh. Rackmount. Right.

'Server' probably sounds grander than it should. I've got an ageing NAS that runs a few local services (subversion server, CIFS server for router logs etc.) none of these things require much processing power, a Pi would do the job just fine and will stop me from messing around too much with the device that holds my backups.

I've eyed up the HP Microservers a few times, they're a great buy, but my days of filling my house with excessive amounts of hardware are behind me. I'm lucky enough to get to play with all manner of hardware at work, my house doesn't need to be an extension of that. Or so I'm told! ;)

I've eyed up the HP Microservers a few times, they're a great buy, but my days of filling my house with excessive amounts of hardware are behind me. I'm lucky enough to get to play with all manner of hardware at work, my house doesn't need to be an extension of that. Or so I'm told! ;)

Id say F that crap, and say I have it or you loose me :) I made deal with the wife, I wont spend ANY money from my work full time job on computers. HOWEVER if I do side work, mostly wiring clean ups and concealing, that money is mine :)

I went even further. My wife said no more computer stuff in this house!

I bought another house.... no joke.

Back