Network pics thread

$hit, really ? so you have your own "MAN" land ?

No, I bought a bigger house for us to move into and rent the other one out. It got around that "no more stuff in this house" order though! I have a full room for My office and the cab is in the garage. :)

No, I bought a bigger house for us to move into and rent the other one out. It got around that "no more stuff in this house" order though! I have a full room for My office and the cab is in the garage. :)

so you still have a man land, but it's confined to a room :)

Same as me :) when we bought a house, well planning at the time, i said I NEED my own space.. She agreed :)

so you still have a man land, but it's confined to a room :)

Same as me :) when we bought a house, well planning at the time, i said I NEED my own space.. She agreed :)

Yes, she got a home gym as a pay off.

Now I need to run my CAT5 and get fibre from the garage to the main house. All good fun.

Wow Dash- Why the hell did u make that deal? I promise my "wife" nothing, I want what I want xD

and how old are you ? How many kids of your own live with you ? LOL

s-BIG-BANG-BOYS-WEEKEND-120308-large.jpg

Some pretty impressive setups on here, will take some photos of my current unfinished setup shortly!

Still need a UPS for this but almost complete!

Top down in my 12U rack:
24 port cat6 patch panel
HP ProCurve 1800 - 24 Port gigabit
Rack media PC
Master ESXi Server
Slave ESXi server/file server
2U space for UPS

Media PC spec:
Case: Xcase microatx case
MOBO: Asus Motherboard
RAM: 3GB DDR2
CPU: AMD 5050e low power processor
HDD: 2.5" 160GB OS Disk
PSU: Tagan UG01 480w

At the back:
APC Switched PSU
12 port cat6 patch panel
Crappy 5port 100mbit switch for management lan (as procurve is switched off when not required)

Master ESXi Spec:
Case: X-case 2U 550mm
Mobo: Asus P8B-WS
CPU: Intel Xeon 1245
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3
PSU: Tagan UG01 480w
NIC1: Intel dual port gigabit PCIe (passed through to VM)
NIC2: Intel single port PCI (passed through to VM)
HDD1: 320GB WD 2.5"
HDD2: 320GB WD 2.5"
OPTICAL: LG Bluray reader/writer (not passed through yet, as not had time to set this up!)

Slave ESXi:
Case: Xcase 24 SAS bay 550mm
MOBO: Asus P8B-WS
CPU: Intel Xeon 1245
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair HX650
HDD1: OS drive 120GB Samsung 2.5" 7200rpm
GFX1: ATI HD4350 (passed through to windows 7 VM, work in progress)
RAID1: Adaptec 5805
RAID2: 3ware 9690SA-8I
HDDs:
RAID6: 8x 3TB Hitachi 5K3000
RAID5: 4x 1TB WD Green (not fully setup yet)

Front:
IMG_5262.jpg

Rear:
IMG_5274.jpg

Crazy lights
IMG_5264.jpg

I want to build a small home server with this hardware:

MB : ASUS E45M1-I
RAM: GeIL DIMM 8GB DDR3-1066 Kit (GVP38GB1066c7DC)
HDD: 6x Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 TB
NIC: intel I340-T4

so my Questions

can i use the quad port NIC like a switch ?

and when i buy a USB 5Ghz Wifi interface ... can i use my home server like a AP ?

(sorry for my bad english :S)

Nry, I want your managed PDU, that's next on my list :) and a network card for my apc ups..

nry I just want you to come re-do my home network rack and rebuild all my servers for me :)

DSC_0068.jpg

From top down:
- CAT5E Patch panel from Monoprice
- HP Procurve 1800-24G
- Cisco ASA 5505 upgraded to 1 GB of RAM.
- 2Wire modem.
- Dlink DNS323 NAS used for HyperV backups
- Hyper-V server. Core i3 2120, 32 GB of RAM, attached via eSATA to the 4 bay enclosure below it. VMs are spread across the drives for better performance. It works really well. This hosts a bunch of VMs, my DCs, Exchange server, Web server, Game server, test OSes.
- WHS 2011. Atom D525, 4 GB of RAM, 8 TB pooled. Server backs up important files online to Crashplan as well as Dlink NAS.

Currently looking at maybe getting a QNAP NAS or something. Not sure yet.

Last edited:
From top down:
- CAT5E Patch panel from Monoprice
- HP Procurve 1800-24G
- Cisco ASA 5505 upgraded to 1 GB of RAM.
- 2Wire modem.
- Dlink DNS323 NAS used for HyperV backups
- Hyper-V server. Core i3 2120, 32 GB of RAM, attached via eSATA to the 4 bay enclosure below it. VMs are spread across the drives for better performance. It works really well. This hosts a bunch of VMs, my DCs, Exchange server, Web server, Game server, test OSes.
- WHS 2011. Atom D525, 4 GB of RAM, 8 TB pooled. Server backs up important files online to Crashplan as well as Dlink NAS.

Currently looking at maybe getting a QNAP NAS or something. Not sure yet.

I have the same 2u Case Same Dlink Nas and used to have those rails in my old rack.. :) Nice setup.

I have the same 2u Case Same Dlink Nas and used to have those rails in my old rack.. :) Nice setup.

They are off an old wall-mount telecom rack they were chucking out where I used to work. I took just the rails and got my dad to build me the rest of the frame. (He's a machinist and welder.) I got him to build it a little too deep. Dell server rails don't fit, but I got away from dell servers.

I like this 2U case. Good price and does what it needs to.

Vitamin[X];1038651343 said:
can i use the quad port NIC like a switch ?

Which OS for your home server? Windows won't, but you could always set up a seperate network segment for each port on your NIC and route across them.

can't say if there's a distro of Linux for switching.

and when i buy a USB 5Ghz Wifi interface ... can i use my home server like a AP ?

Depending on the OS, I'm not sure. :D I expect that somewhere out there there's someone who has probably done it.

If this is a "let's see if it can be done" project, have fun and go for it. If you are looking to leverage existing hardware, don't. Buy yourself a All-in-one WAP/Switch/Firewall thing for around $80 new and save yourself the hassle.

For content:

I was going through some old pictures and found a series for a LAN party I'd set up on my own gear ages and ages ago. I think it was for a 5-way Quake ][ Devastation all-nighter, if I recall correctly, running on two desktops and three laptops.

Man-lan from years back, pre-rebuild. Check out that 19" CRT monitor:

lanparty_left.jpg

lanparty_right.jpg

The network "core". GigE to the servers, baby... :)

home_network_gigE.jpg

The "remote segment" 10/100 switch:

home_network_hub.jpg

Yeah the goold old days. When a 384k CIR frame relay circuit was the shiznit and we rocked Quake ][ in all of it's pixelated pre-openGL glory...

Last edited:
Ahhhh memories... when we never had desk space because the desk was filled with a CRT monitor and a keyboard... dunno how we survived back then... even today with LCD's we're trying to get them wall mounted or at least mounted on the desks, hovering, to give us more room

Another update... following on from my updated update update at the bottom of page 407....

The other fans turned up, and after them getting lost in the mail once and them having to ship another set, I tried them out.

What do you know!? the Fractal Designs fan I`d been using in my DIY fan shroud/duct from the begining is still the best option in all 3 departments (lowest CPU temp, best air flow, lowest noise output).

I did however move the fan off the rear panel of the chassis towards the edge of the board so it`s more sort of in the middle of the duct. (Pics to follow). The result? Less noise again and lower CPU temp by about 5-6 degrees celcius, down to 40-ish degrees, Result!

I now have to find a way to secure the fan in its new location, taking in to account the requirement to be able to remove and replace the fan when the time comes.

I`m thinking at this point of just a small bead of silicone between the bottom of the fan and the plastic sheet that lines the bottom of the supermicro case. I`d assume that would hold the fan securely enough, absorb any noise/vibration and should peel off the case liner with relative ease when the time comes.

So, there you have it, all sorted and when I get the fan mounted properly the box is going back home into the attic, hopefully for many years of trouble free service...

Another update... following on from my updated update update at the bottom of page 407...

You need to list the post number - or better yet link the single post. Page numbers vary user-to-user depending on browser setting and forum preferences. For example, the me, the entire thread is only 250 some pages long.

Back