Network pics thread

Started to build the rack back up again

test.jpg

Jay what model is the lacie nas? I have an older one that I blew away the xp embedded and installed linux

I want 1, just 1 working san device for home. 14x 3tb drives would hold me up for a few years.

No, Nothing fancy- I dont care about fancy- just to have them in my cave would solve many problems for me.

Jay what model is the lacie nas? I have an older one that I blew away the xp embedded and installed linux

Not sure at the moment, it did have XP on it though, I threw FreeNas on there.

Last edited:
Cacti is a really good tool, we had a stuck sophos update that would fail then redownload then fail then redownload. Sophos reported no errors but Cacti showed that the ASA had used about 4GB of bandwidth and port 1 on the core switch in the server room had used about 2.8GB of that. That told me right away in seconds that the server on port 1 was using the bandwidth. A bit of wireshark and I had it worked out.

That type of thing can go unnoticed for a long time. With Cacti I noticed it and fixed it in a couple of hours.

You also get used to all the graph trends so if you have a large screen looping through your weathermaps you can really easily spot a graph that is out of the usual trend.

Its not that hard to setup but it does need a little bit of grunt if you are looking at generating lots and lots of graphs.

Its not that hard to setup but it does need a little bit of grunt if you are looking at generating lots and lots of graphs.

I will have a PILE of core 2 duo workstations laying around soon as my whole admin wing(~8 computers) is due for replacement and will probably get moved to ivy bridge i5's

its been a while since I had to do anthing more than traverse the filesystem or run top in a unix or linux environment

its been a while since I had to do anthing more than traverse the filesystem or run top in a unix or linux environment

Thats what we are all here for! :) I am sure [H] can sort out any issues you have.

yeah buddy :)

I am also going to mess with pfsense at home hopefully this summer while I start studying up for CCNA

but luckily a good friend of mine was a contributer to that project so pf sense help is a text away

Happy new switch day!

Ordered some new Cisco 2960S 760W POE switches. Going to try these out for the WiFi expansion project I have going on. No SmartNet required baby!

9QD0Tl.jpg

decVTl.jpg

Uxaejl.jpg

Last edited:
Happy new switch day!

Ordered some new Cisco 2960S 760W POE switches. Going to try these out for the WiFi expansion project I have going on. No SmartNet required baby!

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9QD0Tl.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/decVTl.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Uxaejl.jpg[/IMG]

You using Cisco AP's?
I put in a purchase order a month ago for a 5508, NCS, 9x 3502's, 7x 1552's, and 6x WS-C3560CG-8PC-S's to replace a 4 ap nortel system that is owned by a coworker not the company. All Cisco

mmmm 48 port POE switch with 4 GBIC channels?

Getting ready to start our VMWare upgrade to VSphere 5. Racked up our new R810 today.

R810-front.jpg

R810-Rear-1.jpg

Dual 10Gb fiber :D

Tomorrow I will be racking up our new Equallogic 6110XV with dual 10Gb controllers. We are going to be converting all of our existing equallogics and from ethernet to 10Gb fiber. Our production cluster servers will also get upgraded to 10Gb fiber as well. Pics to come.

Happy new switch day!

9QD0Tl.jpg

decVTl.jpg

Uxaejl.jpg

Excellent choice ! I'm installing between 2 to 4 of theses each day as a corestack layout depending on the store size and we never had any issues with them, even when they are covered with heavy dust and crap, only one site went down but the building was burning down that day :) We have about 4000 of these switchs in deployment across Canada.

I have to say that the 2960 series is probably one of the best switches Cisco has ever made for the money.

I manage a big Wifi Network from a ISP here in Portugal...its about 1800 HotSpots, and the most part of this park have 2960s and they are excellent...!!! :D:D

OOOOOO Dell R810 server.. YUM!!!

I love mine, do you have iDrac enterprise installed ?

Cisco is really stepping up the plate with some feature rich budget switches.

They kind of have to these days. I don't care what anybody says. They are not the only switch vendor on the block anymore. IMHO I wouldn't be afraid to put an HP switch or a Dell switch in the closets. The core is a completely different conversation..

OOOOOO Dell R810 server.. YUM!!!

I love mine, do you have iDrac enterprise installed ?

I dont think we've used the drac in any of our servers. We have a Dell networked KVM that we use if we cant RDP to the box or if we are to lazy to go down the street to our other building when we are in my bosses office working on something as a group.

They kind of have to these days. I don't care what anybody says. They are not the only switch vendor on the block anymore. IMHO I wouldn't be afraid to put an HP switch or a Dell switch in the closets. The core is a completely different conversation..

Where I work (Small office type environment) we have been using nothing but Dell, we have 2x 5448's, 3x 3524p's, 1x 3548p, 1x 6224f and we haven't had a problem.. They're dirt cheap and unless you are running lots of traffic (we aren't.. Most traffic is at 10pm when 20 computers go to backup) or doing a ton of dynamic l3 on the 6224 they're fine. The only reason we have a few Cisco's is Dell didn't sell what we needed and Cisco had the best option.

Now, queue the hordes of people who are going to berate me for saying that Dell's aren't horrible.

Back