NEC LCD2690

Well done Chippy! You made my ignore list. You are only the third person to hit it in three years. The tread is more coherent now with useful information.

Well said Travbomb...this has been (is) a very (long) informative thread that among other things resulted in me finally purchasing the 2690. I am extremely happy with the purchase, and it is by far the best LCD monitor I have own :D

Chippy can you seriously quit being such a whiny baby. The fact of the matter is Tamlin is actually contributing to the thread were as you are not. I think in your last 10 posts or so on this thread you have added absolutely nothing.

I created this thread a long time ago and for quite some time it has been extremely useful in getting to the bottom of the initial 2690 flaws, getting units properly reparied, and also talking about reviews and end user tests. I would very much appreciate if we could keep the thread being a useful tool rather then a bickering session especially from seomoen who does not have one or want to buy one.

Fair enough Travbomb (although you are making some wild assumptions about what I might or might not want to buy).

I am all for good solid information about any monitor. That's why I started coming here before I made a recent purchase. But we need good solid information and when certain people start sounding like an advert, it's difficult to draw objective conclusions.

Certain people on this thread would have you believe that the 2690 is without flaw, has no quality issues, has the best backlight around etc etc etc. A newbie coming along could read all that, buy one and be disappointed. (Of course they could be very pleased too.)

There needs to be objectivity and balanced reporting, which has been lacking from certain contributors, I think.

I will say no more on this thread.

Cheers

Chip

I just wanted to weigh in on some of the perceived problems of the 2690 and whether they are specific to this model / panel or not.

About 6 years ago I bought a Samsung 180T 18.1 LCD. This was one of the few early Samsung made IPS (not even S!) panels, before VA was mainstream. It exhibited small amounts of the "cloudy backlight bleed" just like I hear many people complaining about on this monitor. I have never seen this kind of thing on any other type panel. This panel was actually mfg by Samsung according to the internals, and thus I would say the problems are more with the IPS technology than LG/Philips' manufacturing process specifically.

It also buzzed a small amount at a high pitch, from the backlight transformers. I am an electrical engineer and would say that the buzzing is most likely NOT from a transistor, they do not vibrate inherently or generate strong magnetic fields in general and I have never seen one be an audible noise source. What is very likely is the source of the noise being an inductor or transformer, these are coils which store energy via magnetic fields and are susceptible to the effect known as magnetostriction, which causes the core to basically change shape/vibrate at the frequency of the signal being passed through it. This is very common in switchmode power supplies or any supply that uses switching regulators with inductors, even linear supplies with undersized transformers. It is even more likely that it is a transformer or inductor since the noise varies from unit to unit. Coils tend to have large variance in manufacturing while modern transistors have very tight tolerances from the same lot.

With that said, there is no reason for this buzz to be incurable with a design change. I will say, my new HP 30" has a similar buzz, so I don't think this is a 2690 problem unless it's extremely loud. One thing that might help is using blu-tak or an epoxy to cover the buzzing part when it is identified; this is commonly done in some power supplies.

Tamlin_WSGF said:
The Eizo CE240W/CE210W also have reports on left side being brighter then the right side, but I don't recall them using the U-shaped CCFL.
I noticed that on the Eizo CE240W as well, but S-PVA panels have color shifting anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. The problem wasn't visible on a black screen. The backlight bleeding and faint horizontal lines on the NEC are bigger problems, but NEC doesn't seem to care.

travbomb said:
1. Horizontal Lines - No other reports of this outside of yours and no one in engineering can find this.

2. Appears yours are within the rules of backlight bleed. Otherwise service would have sent another one.

3. Lag - this will happen on a display like this because of the frame buffer used to help enhance colors. Most displays are going to have some sort of lag if they are used for color work at all.

4. Tearing at 480p - most likely due to the connection between the PS3 and the display since i image you are changing connectors at some point.

Basically engineering siad if you are that picky about it to go ahead and buy the Eizo. there really is nothing that can be done.

Anyway, I got a 23" Apple Cinema Display. They still have the faint vertical lines on aqua colors, but they're not as strong as they used to be, and it's certainly better than having horizontal lines that affect all colors. I often see horizontal lines used for effect such as the pinstripes in Mac OS X and the background of NewEgg's site. Even the background of BeHardware's site has horizontal lines. The NEC can't display those properly. The Apple can. I rarely see vertical lines used for the same purpose, and the lines on the Apple only affect aqua colors anyway, so it's not as big of a deal. Still, they shouldn't be there at all. I wonder what causes them. I can tell by looking at the screen that the NEC is horizontally polarized while the Apple is vertically polarized, which corresponds to the direction of the lines. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

As expected, there was cloudy backlight bleeding, but then something unexpected happened. After a week, the backlight bleeding practically disappeared! That didn't happen on the ones I tried before, and it certainly hasn't happened with the NEC.

Here is a comparison of the Apple (left) vs. the NEC (right):

Maybe I'm just not understanding something. Can someone explain to me why that's acceptable on a color-critical monitor? NEC seems to think so.

I also noticed something very interesting. The new ones glow gray at an angle instead of orange and purple. I didn't expect that at all. It's the first time I've seen an IPS panel where black doesn't change hues at an angle. The NEC has better black viewing angles, but black turns red when looking from the right and green from every other angle.

One thing I really love about the Apple is it doesn't lag. It feels so good not having lag. I wish manufacturers would realize some people can feel 30 ms of lag. The biggest problem I have is manufacturers don't provide this information. If the info was listed in the specs, I'd know what to expect.

The Apple has no trouble with checkerboard pixel patterns. They all display properly.

The Apple is sharper than the NEC, not because of the pixel pitch, although that probably helps, but because of the way subpixels are structured on S-IPS panels. I've only seen this sort of sharpness on S-IPS panels. H-IPS panels look more like S-PVA panels in terms of sharpness.

The new ones don't have problems with image persistence like the old ones did. Many people complained about that on the Apple boards, and I noticed the same thing on other monitors with S-IPS panels.

The Apple has a strong anti-glare coating, like there's a fine layer of dust on the screen. The NEC is mild in comparison.

The Apple can't be internally calibrated, but it calibrates well enough through the video card for most color-critical purposes. The 24" NEC LCD2490WUXi would be better though.

It's hard to go back to a smaller gamut after getting used to a wider gamut. Red looks orange, and green looks lime. I have to keep reminding myself that the colors are more accurate for the content I'm usually viewing. Some things look oversaturated on the NEC, but the colors are more pure. Apple is planning to switch their products to LED backlighting within the next year. Maybe they'll come out with a wide-gamut display that doesn't lag. That'd be great for me.

The NEC is definitely more capable, but I'm happier with the Apple I got this time. It doesn't mess up images with horizontal lines, which I see often. It doesn't have backlight bleeding after using it for a week. Black doesn't change hues at an angle, although the NEC does better at keeping black dark. It doesn't lag, which is a big bonus for me. It doesn't have trouble with checkerboard pixel patterns. It doesn't have problems with standby mode on Macs, of course. It's sharper, and best of all, it has an S-IPS panel, so colors don't shift like they would on the Eizo. It looks like this is as good as it gets for now.

My HP LP3065 is also grey at an angle, unlike my previous 18.1 IPS which was purple from the left and orange from the right. It is possible I just haven't been able to find an extreme enough angle to see it, though (cramped desk area).

Tamlin, can you make a test on your monitor with the images and checkpatterns provided by ToastyX, and tell us if you can see everything properly, please?

This post is for those who do not want to have to look for where the noise comes from, I've used a sensitive directional microphone to actually find the sources (you won't succeed just by using your ears). May be helpful for NEC-technicians. My model is, as described earlier in the thread, bought in Europe, EDID Rev. 1.3, Manufacture date 2007, ISO week 4.

Here are the noisy parts pointed out with red arrows:
nec2690_noisy-parts.jpg

(fullsize image here)
the 2 upper-right parts are where the LOUD tones come from, the 2 bottom-left green ones are the chirping crickety noise-source.

And this is so you see where to find them in/on the NEC 2690:
nec_open_topview.jpg

(view from the right top-side of the screen's back)

I have now shielded the noisy parts with some small pieces of foam, using duct-tape holding the foam around the parts and on the board (trying not to interfere with cooling and air-flow). Makes a huge difference! Even though the cylindric coil thingies are still causing the board to transport the noise. For the bottom green ones 'drowning' them in rubber or silicone-kit would work wonders too (I know from experience). I'll leave it at this for now. Maybe someday I will actually replace the parts.
I had no trouble with the screen after putting it back together again. The only hard thing taking it apart is that the black backside goes on the rest with a plastic click-mechanism, and can NOT be opened and shut lots of times without damaging the frame-plastic around the screen. You should do this only two or three times at the most, or the tiny plastic clickers around the frame will break. Such work is not recommended for the non-technical owners either way.

ToastyX:
Congrats with new screen! :D

Maybe I'm just not understanding something. Can someone explain to me why that's acceptable on a color-critical monitor? NEC seems to think so.

Thats a very good question indeed! Since you have colorcomp for brightness and color uniformity, you can actually test this with less margine of error then other screens.

If a screen is calibrated to 0.3 cdm2 and the area with bleed is at 0.4 cdm2, I wonder if it effects any shade above 0.4 cdm2?

I hope you haven't returned the NEC yet. It would be interesting if you tested the effect your bleed have on the colors. :)

I noticed that on the Eizo CE240W as well, but S-PVA panels have color shifting anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. The problem wasn't visible on a black screen.

Eizo have a technology similar to colorcomp called "Digital Uniformity Compensation". I wonder why they didn't implement it in the ColorEdge CE series and only on the CG series?

In Norway, you can buy 2 Eizo Flexscan S2411W(2 x 9995 NOK) for the price of 1 Eizo ColorEdge CE240W (1 x 19995 NOK) + shipping link For this price, you get no hardware calibrator, no HDCP and no DUC. It only gives you an option to hardware calibrate the screen. I wonder how much it would cost if they had implemented DUC?

In comparison, ACD 23" costs 7.890 NOK, ACD 30" 15.790 NOK (Including free shipping @ Apple.no)

I paid 14009,66 NOK if I include shipping costs for the NEC 2690.

I can't see any lines in my screen still. I have probably spent at least 1 hour just looking for the lines with different shades of every color + taken pictures to see if they appear there.

The checkboard test however shows a weak hue of red (more pink) in the squareframe on top (grey in middle), the bottom one have weak hue of red/pink frame, then grey frame, then hue of red/pink in the square of the middle. Opened with ACDSEE full screen with picture centered in middle.
When I resize the picture (through restore down top right button) however so I can move it around and then choose zoom -> actual size, this effect goes away. Can't see it in any position on the screen. I'll hook up the CRT again to the computer tonight and compare this in dual mode. Interesting!

Tamlin, can you make a test on your monitor with the images and checkpatterns provided by ToastyX, and tell us if you can see everything properly, please?

I'll check it more fully tonight. Meanwhile, read my post to ToastyX. It appears that there is something strange here, so I'll check it properly in dual mode with my Iiyama CRT. :)

The two loud noisemaking parts are indeed inductors as I suspected and probably undersized and the core is saturating. The green parts are more difficult to identify because they are in an epoxy casing but it looks like they are some kind of ferrite / 3-terminal cap / LC-filter or perhaps a poly film capacitor.

The green parts are more difficult to identify because they are in an epoxy casing but it looks like they are some kind of ferrite / 3-terminal cap / LC-filter or perhaps a poly film capacitor.
I think they are capacitors, with two pins each. They are connected (following the board-wiring) between the small transformer to the right of them and a cooled transistor/ic at the left of them. It's interesting to know that whoever designed it already knew these would be noisy parts, since they had glued the two together with some type of kit. In my case breaking them apart (i.e. making the glue obsolete) cancelled a lot of the noise already.

Two weeks ago I took delivery of a new NEC 2690 and have been plagued by the loud annoying high pitch buzz everyone is talking about. This occurs when the display is warmed up for a half hour or so and then the brightness goes below 50%. The internet dealer I bought the unit from has offered to exchange my unit for a new one. The serial # begins with 711. Will I be inheriting the same problem if the new unit begins with 711 also? Are there any good displays out there with the same beginning serial numbers?

TIA.

jon

Two weeks ago I took delivery of a new NEC 2690 and have been plagued by the loud annoying high pitch buzz everyone is talking about. This occurs when the display is warmed up for a half hour or so and then the brightness goes below 50%. The internet dealer I bought the unit from has offered to exchange my unit for a new one. The serial # begins with 711. Will I be inheriting the same problem if the new unit begins with 711 also? Are there any good displays out there with the same beginning serial numbers?

TIA.

jon

Jon,

Where are you located and who did you buy the display from?

I live in the States and got my unit from www.costcentral.com

I also was in touch with NEC customer service and they said to send the unit back to the dealer if they will exchange it...if not they said to send it to them. Also commented they knew of no noise problems with the NEC 2690 displays? The techie commented all their units are perfect when they are shipped?

TIA again.

jon

Some must be worse than others , I can only hear the "buzz" when i put my ear up to the back left of the monitor but thats it. Its there , sounds like a bee trying to get out of a window .

The first day I of operation I did indeed notice the sound, but the funny thing is probably after a few hours of warming up ( break in? ) I no longer can. But even if I try i cant hear it using my PC or at any other time while the monitor is on. Like I said only with my ear about an inch or so from the back of the monitor. I have no dead pixles , and verry slight backlight bleed on lower left ( wich also seems not to be as bad as the first day of use :confused: ) so unless this is in imminent part failure ( wont turn on , goes up in flames, ect. ) my monitor seems to be working good for me at this time !!

My display seems perfect except for the buzzing noise which can be heard down the hallway away from the computer room. Time has not made it any quieter. The display has to be on for an hour to really hear it yowl. Will keep my fingers crossed when the new 2690 arrives.

jon

Mine is "perfect" without a sound (I can hear it with head against the sidewents, but not from front even with ear close up to screen). I have normal hearing, but have inherited migrane, so I am sensitive to such sounds. The good news is that my serial starts with 711 :cool:

Meow and Chris719 - just to thank you very much for pursuing the noise issue so expertly. I have an early European 2690 which has the irritating high pitched buzz. It would be wonderful if NEC could really nail this problem. I had the NEC "fix" some time ago which made no difference at all.

I have not researched the forum but have certainly seen in passing references to noisy displays from other manufacturers and suspect it's a common problem, with some users being more sensitive to the noise than others.

In your view, could NEC really fix the problem by using other components, or treating them in some way?

David

In your view, could NEC really fix the problem by using other components, or treating them in some way?
My guess is the two cylindric inductor/coil thingies can easily be replaced by a different brand or heavier values. There are others on the same board that don't generate any noise at all, so it's not that these two are 'broken' parts, they are just getting too much load or are falsely positioned in the design.
The other ones, the green capacitors that make the buzzing crickety sound, also seem overloaded in a way. Just a schematics design mistake, I would say. I would have to reverse engineer it first to be able to know what's wrong.

To be honest, after studying the board a little (and I took it out entirely, to see the back-print too), I'm not so sure replacing the parts would make much of a difference. One could use other (heavier) values for the noisy parts, but that could alter the entire flow of things on the board in a way that it requires a re-design of the schematics. It could be solved by adding or changing a couple of other parts on the board, but one would really need to check the source schematics from NEC, which I don't have.

So I decided on masking the noise. This is a simple procedure, really. Like I wrote before, the green ones can be drowned in rubber kit, and that would almost entirely kill the noise they bring forth.
The tone from the two inductor/coil parts is harder to silence. I have masked it using some of that dark-grey foam stuff (you know the type), but since there's not much room in there, it's not recommended if you live in a hot area on Earth ;-) My room stays fairly cool, so for me it is sufficient to just 'damp' the noise using foam the way I did, but one needs to consider air-flow, and check if other parts are not heating up too much after putting foam around the inductor/coils. They themselves don't get hot at all, by the way.

Thank you very much. For the less technical among us (like me), is this a retro treatment that NEC could do? I'd be reluctant to take it on.

David

I think we would have folks ranting about thier DOA monitors if we had anything to worry about. But its good to see Meow has presented us with the facts of the matter.

The green things are probably not regular capacitors, but some kind of filter element with a ferrite or inductor inside. Capacitors don't make mechanical noise and the only way to "overload" one results in death. The inductors could probably be increased in value somewhat with no problem since this is not a tuned, resonant circuit and they have extremely poor tolerance by nature compared to other types of passive components.

The green things are probably not regular capacitors, but some kind of filter element with a ferrite or inductor inside. Capacitors don't make mechanical noise and the only way to "overload" one results in death.
Yet they are grounded on one side, both of them probably have some capacitor-function too. Seem to be related to dissipating electrical load (that's what I meant with overloaded in this case). Put another one next to them, and they would probably stop making noise.

The inductors could probably be increased in value somewhat with no problem since this is not a tuned, resonant circuit and they have extremely poor tolerance by nature compared to other types of passive components.
I'm not so sure about this not being a tuned circuit. It's quite delicate matter it requires to deal with. The parts seem carefully selected either way..

Well, to bring up to date, those who have been following the noise saga of my 2690...I contacted the customer service rep of www.costcentral.com with crossed fingers. I explained the noise problem and asked for an exchange. I also told him I understood from postings on hardforum this was not an isolated problem and mostly affected units with serial # 's beginning with 711. He said they didn't know the serial numbers of the units in the warehouse but would see what could be done. Well, to make this brief...I sent the old unit back at their expense and just received a new display with a serial number beginning with 741. The unit is absolutely silent and thus far no dead pixels. I have almost gotten over spending so much money for a screen. I would just like to thank the members of this forum for all their extensive information and help.

Just one further question...does anyone know if NEC or anyone else has a hood that can be used with the 2690? I know La Cie supplies one for their 526 model which is a clone of the NEC 2690.

TIA

jon

Well, to bring up to date, those who have been following the noise saga of my 2690...I contacted the customer service rep of www.costcentral.com with crossed fingers. I explained the noise problem and asked for an exchange. I also told him I understood from postings on hardforum this was not an isolated problem and mostly affected units with serial # 's beginning with 711. He said they didn't know the serial numbers of the units in the warehouse but would see what could be done. Well, to make this brief...I sent the old unit back at their expense and just received a new display with a serial number beginning with 741. The unit is absolutely silent and thus far no dead pixels. I have almost gotten over spending so much money for a screen. I would just like to thank the members of this forum for all their extensive information and help.

jon

I am glad your noise problem has been solved in a new display. Unfortunately, a new display was not an option for me as having had them fail to "fix" my 2690 noise issue with the official noise fix, I approached NEC again outside the time period when a new display would be offered to me (can't remember what the period is now) - and the best they would do is try (again) to mend my existing model or give me a refurbished one. However, as my "fixed" 2690 came back from NEC UK repair as noisy as it was when I sent it to them and as there is absolutely no way I can have any confidence that NEC will send me a silent refurbished model, I don't think there's much I can do.

David

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to contribute my impressions about this screen, as I also found useful hints reading here myself.

After a very long wait I now have my SpectraView 2690 since a few days. The wait became even longer while the first one which got sent to me disappeared during shipping! (seems some more people like this screen).
So finally it's here. I am in Germany and it's the European version of the SpectraView. That means it comes with a different software to (hardware-)calibrate the screen as in the US. The software is written by a German company, called Color Solutions. I bought the screen directly from them. The SpectraView version of the screen is much more expensive as the normal version. Some say this screens get handpicked from the normal production line. Well, at least a two page display Certificate report came with this monitor.

All in all: this is a great screen! I don't think it is possible to get a better screen for the money for color sensitive work at this moment. Any step up would cost considerably more (like the new top of the line Quato Intelli Proof monitor by Quatographic Technology).
I use the screen for drum scanning and preparation for large format printing of Fine Art Giclée prints on an Epson 9800. So my comments are not about gaming or video,...

Yes, many of the niggles/problems mentioned in this thread are there, but all of minimal concern with the screen I received (revision 3-4-B):

-no dead (sub)pixels at all
-slight noise can be heard when everything around is dead silent. My Mac is much noisier though, so I can't hear any screen noise when computer is on.
-for young fresh eyes the dot pitch might be a tad large. For my eyes it's absolutely fine, I also turned sharpness one notch down to 21,4 %. Also judging sharpening levels in PS is no problem, for which I prefer viewing material at 50%.
-the screen is very uniform. At the sides some variations are just barely visible.
-color gammut is BIG and really just all I can long for.
-deepest black is not that great. I can't get under 0,6 cd/m when hardware calibrating (while the software doesn't allow changes of brightness-contrast and some other parameters in On Screen monitor menu when hardware calibration is chosen).
But: (for novices) that doesn't mean differentiation of dark colors suffer. In real life soft-proofing reality there is hardly a drawback. I get very sweet and clear transitions also in the dark tones. One can easily see the difference between 100% black and 98% black. It's just that the 100% black is objectively not really black.
-I don't know the American Spectraview software to calibrate the monitor. The version here in Europe is very nice and easy. Results are first rate. I very much appreciate the possibility the software offers to load different profiles on the fly. It loads as well the profile for the CM in my mac as well as loading the corresponding LUT into the screen. So I can quickly change from a LFP printing workflow to a workflow for web design, each with its own color temperature, gamma, and other settings.

That's it for now. Hope this small comment is a useful addition to all the info on this thread!

David.

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having with your noisy 2690. I first contacted NEC who offered to try to "fix" my display, send me a refurbished one, or a new one...all at their discretion. I explained I would like a new one, since my unit was only ten days in my possession. The woman at the other end said with lowered voice, try to get the store to take it back and replace it with a new one. Since it was an internet outfit I held my fingers crossed in doing this. Guess it helped, when I contacted the return department, that I held the telephone receiver to the back of the display for the techie to hear it. He said the noise sounded really annoying and I replied he should be sitting next to it. That was all the persuasion I needed.

I would try to contact the NEC main office in the UK and explain the problem. Try to get the name of the head of the company and attempt to speak to him. You probably won't get him but many times the secretary will be most helpful.

I know in the States, many of the auto companies have what is called a "silent recall". If an auto has a non safety related problem, they will only repair those defects if the paying customer makes enough noise about it. Try this tact with the NEC head office.

Hope you finally succeed in getting a "new" replacement.

jon

nec europe lost another customer, as i am very sensitive about high pitched noises, produced by displays. i know several other designers that are too. i will surely not recommend the nec 2690 to them.

nec europe lost another customer, as i am very sensitive about high pitched noises, produced by displays. i know several other designers that are too. i will surely not recommend the nec 2690 to them.
Yes, that's really a crap move by whoever designed these circuits, or who decided to use the parts that are used for it.

I'm guessing it has to do with China and its economy growing at the speed it currently does.

Does anyone know how easy or how long it takes to switch between the DVI-I and DVI-D inputs on the 2690? For example, if I had two PCs connected to each input or a PC on one and a PS3 on another, how convenient is the switch?

Does anyone know how easy or how long it takes to switch between the DVI-I and DVI-D inputs on the 2690? For example, if I had two PCs connected to each input or a PC on one and a PS3 on another, how convenient is the switch?

Just push the input button on the outside of the display.

The high pitched noises pushed this one off of my list...

I'm curious, how many units are actually suffering from this problem. Are all of them affected, and it is only a matter of degree to which they manifest the high pitched whine, or are only a certain number displaying this oddity?

I'm very interested in the 2690 right now. This is the only potential turn off that is making me hesitate atm.

Anyone know the dimensions of the box the 2690 comes in?

I want to take it with me overseas and need to know if I can check the box in as check-in luggage.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate it.

Hi,
I am considering this monitor as well for professional graphics/photo work.

Am I losing to much with this monitor if i can only connect it through VGA?
(I work on IBM laptop with VGA port only)
I mean, spending some $$$ for quality monitor and losing it on a VGA connection?

Is there any other solution to get a DVI port out of my laptop?

thanks

Back