NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

So I'm patiently waiting on my NEC 231WMi order from B&H. OK, maybe not so patiently.. I saw someone say that NEC began shipping the monitor over a week ago. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Yeah,

My order has been in at B & H Photo for about a few weeks, too.

I'm told that they'll contact me as soon as they have them to ship out, which they thought would be this week. But the week has come and gone now, plus, B & H apparently closed a little early for a Jewish holiday on Friday.

I'm trusting that they will be shipping out next week. And I can check the track order status on their website easily enough, which still shows "on backorder".

So, I doubt that the EA231WMi has shipped anywhere, yet.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

I ordered mine from Dell a week or so ago. Yesterday, I received an email from them saying the NEC monitor has been delayed until October 14th. I suspect when one has them in stock, they'll all have them.

Larry

Yeah,

That makes sense.

And I'm actually kind of glad that it will take longer than now, as I'm going to be out of town for about week, and I'd rather be home to receive the unit personally.

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

Well mine arrived today and I was going to do a full review of it but instead i'll wait till the replacement arrives: The good news is that its a great quality monitor (really great) and without going into detail (i'll leave my stories till later), I'm one of the most discerning TFT monitor purchasers you could find (why I like it on Hardforum!).

The bad news is that there is a distinct issue with the right side of the panel being more green/yellow and the left being a bit muddy/red/ very slightly not as bright. Overall I think it's to do with the backlight and there seems to be a patch of backlight bleed on the left edge so maybe that's contributing to the problem. I only recently sent back the Dell U2410 and I have to say that this NEC monitor (which I'm having replaced) is potentially my "perfect" monitor. It's wider than I imagined it would be as I've not seen a true 16:9 monitor before in the plastic, and the wideness doesen't help with the backlight/uniformity issues i'm sure, but I like it and it gives bags of room. It's nice and "sharp" too as the pixel pitch is smaller than most 24" (I think) If I got the pixel pitch stuff wrong, whatever, it seems sharper than the Dell U2410 and I prefer it that way.

For the record, there is NONE of the graininess of the Dell U2410 and I also prefer it that way (who wouldn't?) Viewing angles are good - I do most of my stuff looking straight on at the monitor but there's no noticeable shift as I move my head from left to right so all's good there. There is also no colour shift, which I've seen from a 24" BenQ i got and sent back a while ago. Colours stay the same within reasonable head movement and the colour issues I've described are not dependant upon or fixed by viewing angle.

The amazing thing is that it's literally half the price of the NECluxi24"2 (can't remember the exact model no) that I was going to get and is incredible. Now if I could just get one with a solid backlight this WOULD be virtually perfect. There's no input lag that's noticeable for me during general use. Those who care about that would probably want to see accurate tests done anyway, but to me during everyday surfing and playing Batman Arkham Asylum, I didn't see a problem. Playing Batman, by the way was a complete joy. This screen is incredible and even beats the Dell U2410 in terms of visuals. It's not even a "gaming" monitor but it's definitely more than good enough for that purpose.

I can't tell you how much I wish I couldn't notice uneven colour or backlight issues like so many other people. The thing is, I do web design/graphic design so I need the evenness. It's probably liveable because the screen is exceptionally good quality but if you notice it and it bugs you then it's hard to un-see. I've tried adjusting every setting and tried using the built in (Win7) calibration tool to eliminate the green on the right - red on the left slight hue - and it is SLIGHT (but noticeable) but it's not something that can be "fixed" because it's inherent in the panel and more to the point it's UNEVEN. If the whole panel had a slightly green hue then great - i'd be keeping it because I could deal with that on the monitors OSD or by calibrating.

Bear in mind I'm just ONE person who's seen ONE of these monitors. I'm just letting people know that aside from what I consider to be a manufacturing inconsistency or a result of bashing in transit which has led to SLIGHTLY uneven colour/backlight issues, this monitor in colour reproduction, readability and in it's size is verging on perfect. I know there is no such thing as "perfect" but I'm sending this particular one back because it's simply not "good enough". Here's to hoping the next one will be "the one".

Oh, by the way, I'll be having this monitor for the next couple of days before I arrange to get it sent back so if anyone needs any pics doing let me know.

One question - Does anyone here know if the problem with slight colour variance eventually "sorts itself out"? I've read in a few places in a few forums that sometimes monitors need a few days to "settle in"? This one's been on all night (about 5 hours so far) and it's still the same.....

Same, I'm waiting until more reviews come out so I can make my choice between the NEC, Viewsonic, or the Dell U2410.

Shouldn't be long. My distributors here in Canada have some in stock now, which means resellers should soon have them.

Well mine arrived today and I was going to do a full review of it but instead i'll wait till the replacement arrives: The good news is that its a great quality monitor (really great) and without going into detail (i'll leave my stories till later), I'm one of the most discerning TFT monitor purchasers you could find (why I like it on Hardforum!).

The bad news is that there is a distinct issue with the right side of the panel being more green/yellow and the left being a bit muddy/red/ very slightly not as bright. Overall I think it's to do with the backlight and there seems to be a patch of backlight bleed on the left edge so maybe that's contributing to the problem. I only recently sent back the Dell U2410 and I have to say that this NEC monitor (which I'm having replaced) is potentially my "perfect" monitor. It's wider than I imagined it would be as I've not seen a true 16:9 monitor before in the plastic, and the wideness doesen't help with the backlight/uniformity issues i'm sure, but I like it and it gives bags of room. It's nice and "sharp" too as the pixel pitch is smaller than most 24" (I think) If I got the pixel pitch stuff wrong, whatever, it seems sharper than the Dell U2410 and I prefer it that way.

For the record, there is NONE of the graininess of the Dell U2410 and I also prefer it that way (who wouldn't?) Viewing angles are good - I do most of my stuff looking straight on at the monitor but there's no noticeable shift as I move my head from left to right so all's good there. There is also no colour shift, which I've seen from a 24" BenQ i got and sent back a while ago. Colours stay the same within reasonable head movement and the colour issues I've described are not dependant upon or fixed by viewing angle.

The amazing thing is that it's literally half the price of the NECluxi24"2 (can't remember the exact model no) that I was going to get and is incredible. Now if I could just get one with a solid backlight this WOULD be virtually perfect. There's no input lag that's noticeable for me during general use. Those who care about that would probably want to see accurate tests done anyway, but to me during everyday surfing and playing Batman Arkham Asylum, I didn't see a problem. Playing Batman, by the way was a complete joy. This screen is incredible and even beats the Dell U2410 in terms of visuals. It's not even a "gaming" monitor but it's definitely more than good enough for that purpose.

I can't tell you how much I wish I couldn't notice uneven colour or backlight issues like so many other people. The thing is, I do web design/graphic design so I need the evenness. It's probably liveable because the screen is exceptionally good quality but if you notice it and it bugs you then it's hard to un-see. I've tried adjusting every setting and tried using the built in (Win7) calibration tool to eliminate the green on the right - red on the left slight hue - and it is SLIGHT (but noticeable) but it's not something that can be "fixed" because it's inherent in the panel and more to the point it's UNEVEN. If the whole panel had a slightly green hue then great - i'd be keeping it because I could deal with that on the monitors OSD or by calibrating.

Bear in mind I'm just ONE person who's seen ONE of these monitors. I'm just letting people know that aside from what I consider to be a manufacturing inconsistency or a result of bashing in transit which has led to SLIGHTLY uneven colour/backlight issues, this monitor in colour reproduction, readability and in it's size is verging on perfect. I know there is no such thing as "perfect" but I'm sending this particular one back because it's simply not "good enough". Here's to hoping the next one will be "the one".

Oh, by the way, I'll be having this monitor for the next couple of days before I arrange to get it sent back so if anyone needs any pics doing let me know.

One question - Does anyone here know if the problem with slight colour variance eventually "sorts itself out"? I've read in a few places in a few forums that sometimes monitors need a few days to "settle in"? This one's been on all night (about 5 hours so far) and it's still the same.....

Thanks for your thoughts! Where'd you get it from? I'm very interested in getting one of these because my TN panel simply doesn't cut it.

Thanks for the monitor impressions, alsheron. Some pics would be greatly appreciated. If it's not too much trouble could you test a 1080i signal to see if it works correctly.

The bad news is that there is a distinct issue with the right side of the panel being more green/yellow and the left being a bit muddy/red/ very slightly not as bright.

I just can't get why LG has so much trouble making uniform panels after all these years. This has to be the number one issue with IPS panels, they seem to have the worse uniformity so chances of getting a good one are lower.

Yeah,

After returning home after a week out of town, my B & H Photo pre-order hasn't been delivered or any e-mail mention that it shipped.

But there was a message from CostCentral.com, that they now have the units in stock, at least 9 of them at this time (oops, nows there's only 8 there) for about $380, plus shipping.

Apparently B & H Photo is closed for a Succos Holiday until Monday, the 14th, which is fine for me.

So, anyway, they're finally shipping. Yippee!

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

Last edited:
I'd also like that but I really doubt that happening with this NEC being a business monitor and all.

Ok these monitors are now coming in stock.

B+H reopens on the 12th. Should have them in stock next week.

Net savings to me: $720.00 after 6 years. Initial cost $300+. So this monitor pays for itself as does any other LCD since I am on an old CRT right now.

But since I am coming from a CRT I want quality and this NEC seems to have it all from True HD to 23" to energy savings. Seems like this monitor is the one. Top flight brand from Japan too.

In the monitor era, one wants IPS and only a few models have the IPS these days. The NEC seems to be better overall than the Viewsonics.

In the old days I liked NEC but I could never afford them. They made some awesome CRTs back in the days.

Now as far as IPS goes, its Viewsonics vs NEC right now for 23" IPS since the others are in a higher price range.

NEC's model seems to do much better for energy savings.

I take it other than Eizo and stuff which will be significantly higher priced, for approx $400 MRSP, the options for 23" IPS are only coming from Viewsonics and NEC?

alsheron how is the response time on this thing? Any ghosting present? On NEC's website it's listed as 14ms, but that seems awfully high.

A pic of the monitor showing a white background would be great. (noticable tint)

Thank you!

Is white glow noticable btw? (the screen turns brigther when watching dark areas from angle.)

Thanks for the monitor impressions, alsheron. Some pics would be greatly appreciated. If it's not too much trouble could you test a 1080i signal to see if it works correctly.

I'll do some pics tonight hopefully - I don't think i'll be able to test a 1080i signal as I simply don't know how!

I just can't get why LG has so much trouble making uniform panels after all these years. This has to be the number one issue with IPS panels, they seem to have the worse uniformity so chances of getting a good one are lower.

It's very irritiating, I have to say, as I've seen it now with a few of these IPS monitors. To be (fair?) honest, the Dell 2007WFP IPS that i'm using here at work from, obviously circa 2007 also has a VERY slight (much more slight than the NEC) pinky tint to the right hand side - so it must be something they never got round to fixing since making IPS panels from back then or simply cant. The 2007WFP is significantly more even than the NEC though and if the NEC was as even as this 2007WFP, i'd be keeping it. As it is, i'm not......

Thanks for your thoughts! Where'd you get it from? I'm very interested in getting one of these because my TN panel simply doesn't cut it.

I bought mine from PCBUYIT.co.uk because they (unlike overclockers.co.uk) got great Google Shopping reviews. Overclockers reviews regarding customer service etc are shockingly bad - way to go to ruin your businesses reputation.

alsheron how is the response time on this thing? Any ghosting present? On NEC's website it's listed as 14ms, but that seems awfully high.

14ms does seem high, doesn't it?, and I'd have thought the same. In practice, it's not noticeable at all to me, but of course that doesn't mean that to others it won't be. I'm not "looking" for ghosting issues though, but playing Batman: Arkham I noticed no ghosting at all and that's pretty fast paced with darkness throughout. I wouldn't have said the response time is a problem AT ALL - the particular unit I have has issues relating to uniformity that hopefully can be fixed with another unit but I think it's pretty safe to say that ghosting issues aren't so variable between different units - i.e. if mine's fine (which it is - to me) then others will be fine too.

A pic of the monitor showing a white background would be great. (noticable tint)

Thank you!

Is white glow noticable btw? (the screen turns brigther when watching dark areas from angle.)

I'll get a pic done tonight hopefully. As for the white glow - there isn't any as far as I can tell - and i've seen the standard pics of IPS panels from 45 degree angles etc. I don't use my monitor from those kind of angles so there is no "glow" (as far as I understand the term) looking straight on.

What there IS however is quite noticeable backlight bleed on the left hand edge and in particular the left-bottom hand corner (near where the windows button is) This is very clear with a black background and the left edge and bottom left corner to about 4cm in is distinctly less bright and a bit more "muddy". I think this is a backlight issue which will hopefully be rectified with a replacement. Again, during gaming, this backlight bleed is minor enough to not be noticeable depending on your sensitivity to it.

UPDATE: PCbuyit have e-mailed me to say that the monitor is under a next day replacement on-site warranty with NEC so I need to contact NEC.

It's a bit of a scary situation because if NEC replacements are the same, I may well be stuck with a monitor that has these problems. However, this is a LOT better than having shelled out around £600 for a decent 24" that also has problems and has to be replaced. In the past, I've always sent monitors back for refund not wanting to risk getting another bad one. This monitor is so good that I'm willing to keep trying until I get an "even one". The issue i'm experiencing as far as i'm concerned is a fault and luckily for NEC, one that a lot of business customers won't notice or care about so they can re-sell this unit i'm sending back onto those who wont care.

TIP: When buying a monitor in the UK - ALWAYS buy them from online vendors and have it DELIVERED. That way, you are protected by Distance Selling regulations which allow return for a full refund WITHIN 7 days no matter ANY reason - even if you just don't like it. If you pick it up or buy in-store, you don't get this right as technically you "could" have inspected the item first.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know the success rate of getting these uniformity issues resolved by getting the monitor replaced? Anyone had success doing that?

Last edited:
Some pictures of the viewing angels on normal photos as well as a completely black background would be great!
I suspect it has the same problems with white glow as the 2209WA but would be nice to really know.

Aisheron,

In regards to your question, a number of users who received non-uniform, or red green tinted HP LP2457W screens had success by getting replacements, most often to newer revisions.

I can vouch for NEC North America and say that I received excellent customer service in regards to my NEC LCD2690WUXI in the past. Hopefully the UK office will be just as good.

In regards to LG, it's perplexing in regards to the red/green panel and brightness uniformity issues common the past while. I have an older 2005FPW that is perfect in this regard, but my Dell 2209WA shows a 400K difference from left to right, where the far centre left is 400K colder than the far centre right, and I received a good one IMHO compared to most others here.

Best o' luck. Hopefully NEC sorts this out for you. I think, from the sounds of it, the 23" is definitely a worthwhile investment.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Initial shipment of NEC 23"'s has sold out and there are even backorders.

People like the NEC. First shipment came into a warehouse in Richardson Texas and had like a handful I believe. That warehouse has sold out which was used by lots of mail order vendors.

Will take time for it to move through the supply chain. Hopefully vendors will have more in stock and with lower pricing.

UPDATE: I've taken some very amateur pics but they will have to come later as my computer in general is playing up. Bizarrely for me, I'm kind of getting used to the slight variation in colour from one side to the other as it is very slight. I'm having the monitor changed however, and it's being picked up tomorrow and i'll get a new one next monday all being well. I'll report back of course.

On the ghosting issue. Now that I was looking for it, I did notice a little ghosting while playing Batman and also dragging windows around the screen. I must admint that this may be of concern to "hardcore" gamers but to me, you have to really look to notice it - which I don't. On the other hand the colour issue is noticeble without particularly looking for it. In any case, my playing of Batman wasn't affected in ANY way and like I said, in my opinion it looks better on this NEC than on the much more expensive (and messed up SRGB pretending gamut) Dell U2410. I'll post pictures tomorrow all being well.

Also, I think that its the right hand side being yellowy green that is the defective side rather than the left side being slightly pink/bluer..... Whites look more natural on the left....

Well, I sent mine back and even though I expected a good outcome, the "testers" say that they cannot see the uniformity problem on my screen. Consequently I've now just a minute ago recieved the monitor back and will be checking it again. Interestingly, the "testers" did mention cables and asked why I hadn't used the ones that came with the monitor instead of my owm DVI cable. Maybe this has something to it? I'll check it when I get home but I'm really hoping the cable thing might remove the yellowness on the right side of the screen. If not, i'll be asking NEC to swap it out directly (it will take about 10 days apparently because even they don't have the stock.)

So I can live with it for now, but I'm looking for something without the very obvious backlight bleed on the left edge and especially lower left corner so unless it was all down to my cable (unlikely - but i'm willing to give the "tester" guy the benefit of the doubt - he said 90% of monitor returns were down to defective or sub-standard cable problems!) i'll be sending this back to NEC so they can sell it on to someone who doesn't care.

@Larry:

I and i'm sure everyone else on this thread would love to hear your thoughts/opinions on the one you're having delivered (today!?). Especially the issues I've described - can you see what I see or is your monitor nicely uniform. Also, does yours have very noticeable backlight bleed on the left edge and left bottom corner?

Cabling won't cause a subtle tint on one side of the screen. So if they are sending the same screen back to you, it will look the same regardless of which cable is used.

UPDATE: Snowdog, you're absolutely right, changing cable has made no difference at all and there are still the issues previously mentioned.

Despite the issues raised, I think I'm in love with this screen as I'm beginning to not notice it's faults as much, and as said, if I had to, I'd live with this without any sleepless nights. Having said that, I've just arranged with NEC to swap this out for a brand new one which will take around 10 days to sort out as it's coming from Germany. If it's manufactured in Germany rather than China (where mine is made) then I have high hopes for it as the Germans are very exacting and efficient in their production methods in my experience.

I should be able to post those first pictures I took at some point soon and will of course update when the new one arrives.

Well, I must have received a good one. No dead pixels, no color shift and almost no backlight bleed. A small amount about the size/area of a dime in the lower right. As far s I can see, this monitor is near perfect in every way. I wish they would have supplied a users manual though instead of looking online to adjust brightness contrast ect...

Larry

I spoke to B+H who said they are doing special orders only right now. I was hopeful they would get them in stock after the holidays. Will see if the website changes stock status later in the week or next which could happen since from the distribution warehouse totals, it did not make it to the closer warehouses yet in PA, NJ or NYC.

Mira Loma, CA warehouse had 20 last I looked.
Carol Stream, IL had 3
Glendale Heights, IL 3

PA + NJ warehouses and NYC vendors have yet to get them. Its starting to gradually trickle through the supply chain. Backorders were filled.

Sparco.com is the cheapest right now in Price at $360. Has access to all the distributors and the $360 is in stock and available.

$360 is too high a price for me at this time, and Sparco is usually never the cheapest vendor. Newegg is an NEC Vendor and doesn't even have this monitor yet. So $360 is about right for those who want this monitor ASAP. In the coming weeks, I will see how inventory levels are and buy when it hits my sweetspot in price.

For me, it will save me on energy costs to the tune of $10 plus a month and give me more viewable space. It is a no brainer. Every month I wait is $10 to $15 in lost energy savings so Im trying to hit the sweetspot in the pricing equilibrium.

I was thinking of possibly getting it at B+H but as of now they aren't stocking it in the store.

Am fully aware there was a Dell 20% off coupon some people got off the $400 price so some people got it from Dell for $320. I am in no rush and will see who is cheapest in price in the coming weeks after all coupons and promotions.

If you have any coupon codes for this monitor such as from Dell or any other vendor's, don't hesitate to post them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I take that back about the backlight bleed. On a totally black screen there isn't enough to consider it bleed. I would call it no bleed. A far cry from my old 2005 20 inch Dell

larry

Dell lowered price from $409 to $389

The 20% off electronics coupon now does not include this monitor. However, it won't be long till another vendor has a lower price than $360 on this monitor.

If a new 20% off coupon opens up it will be even cheaper than those who already got in. Or if another vendor opens up a special on this.

If anyone seees a price on this for cheap let me know when the next deal comes in. Ready to buy this one for the right price.

Thanks for sharing your pricing research.

I see Dell still has it for 409. Do you have a link to the price you found? Just a note that Dell just had a 10% E&A coupon that was good for this LCD which ended last week Thur. So, it might be a while until we see the next one since the last was pretty fresh. 10% on $389 would put it in my price range. I can get it for 14% off through premier EPP for $352 + free ship from the $409 price, which is some kind of hybrid consumer/business sales, but its treated as consumer sales and I don't like much their home sales support. If it really goes down to 389 * .14 = ~336 I will pull the trigger.

Last edited:
I take that back about the backlight bleed. On a totally black screen there isn't enough to consider it bleed. I would call it no bleed. A far cry from my old 2005 20 inch Dell

larry
larryinlc how are the viewing angles on this thing, black levels, ghosting? Thanx.

larryinlc how are the viewing angles on this thing, black levels, ghosting? Thanx.

Viewing angles are what I would expect. Perfect even when looking from the side. A very slight milkiness at extreme angles, but this is nit picking. Nothing like the old Dells. No color change at any angle. Here are four screen shots. Maybe not very useful, but it's pretty much how this monitor looks. Resized so some sharpness is lost. This is one great screen in my opinion. No ghosting that I can detect.

http://www.mwt.net/~check/screen.jpg

http://www.mwt.net/~check/screen1.jpg

http://www.mwt.net/~check/screen2.jpg

http://www.mwt.net/~check/screen3.jpg

Last edited:
I take the milkiness thought back too. It's just not evident. I'm trying hard to find anything wrong with this screen, but it's just really good. I did view a portion of a dvd movie to see how it performed. Again, no issues.

Larry

Viewing angles are what I would expect. Perfect even when looking from the side. A very slight milkiness at extreme angles, but this is nit picking. Nothing like the old Dells. No color change at any angle. Here are four screen shots. Maybe not very useful, but it's pretty much how this monitor looks. Resized so some sharpness is lost. This is one great screen in my opinion. No ghosting that I can detect.

Did you post screenshots to show us how your monitor looks?

Back