NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

Well, got it today. First thing I noticed is that the right side is brighter than the left. Certainly not as bad as the tinting issue on my old U2410. At least gray is gray. I calibrated with the EyeOne. It dialed in perfectly at D6500K, 120cd 2.2 gamma. The monitor colors etc looks great, but there is still a slight uneven luminance. I'll use it for a few days to see if it's something that will bother me. But for $250, I'm thinking I can over look it.

Just ordered one of these for $230 shipped. Hopefully it work well. My old Samsung 204BW just died and I had to lug my 19 inch Trinitron up from the basement. The color on these old CRTs is pretty amazing. Maybe my 20" TN panel just sucked hard, though? Either way, looking forward to the glory that is IPS.

PS

I had no idea the max resolution on this CRT was 1600x1200. Holy crap.

recently bought the ea231wmi, have been using it a week now. great colors and detail. but, could anyone familiar with using pstrip to force refresh rates advise me on how to use it correctly? ive read that the max for dvi on this monitor is 74 hz, but no matter what i change my screen just goes black, then i have to reboot to restore its default again.

Did you use the settings I mentioned?

Horizontal active: 1920
Horizontal front porch: 25
Horizontal sync width: 35
Horizontal back porch: 45
Horizontal total: 2025

Vertical active: 1080
Vertical front porch: 3
Vertical sync width: 4
Vertical back porch: 5
Vertical total: 1092

That should let you set the refresh rate to 74 Hz.

The meaning doesn't really matter, since that won't help you find which values will work. What matters is the pixel clock needs to stay under 165 MHz to fit within single-link DVI bandwidth, so the values need to be lowered. However, figuring out which values the monitor will accept involves trial and error, since it's different for every monitor. Single-link DVI has enough bandwidth to do 77 Hz at 1080p, but the NEC doesn't accept any of the timing parameters that would allow the pixel clock to stay under 165 MHz. It does support up to 83 Hz through DisplayPort though.

Can anyone help with this?

I've had the monitor for 2 years now and it worked flawlessly up until I tried using a HDMI to DVI cable to use the monitor for Xbox.

No matter what I try, I cannot get it to display on the EA231WMI at all.

Ive tried the Xbox to the monitor via a dual link HDMI - DVI cable
Ive tried the Xbox into my receiver then receiver into the monitor with the HDMI - DVI cable and
Ive tried using a ps3 to try jog it on and still no luck.

However, using the same cable, through the HDMI output on my mobo, I can get a signal fine.

can anyone help me out as this is seriously causing me grief now. my Dell 2007wfp never had this problem.

PS3 works fine with mines. My PS3's HDMI goes through a manual HDMI switcher into the EA231WMi.

Is DDC/CI set to ON on your monitor?

HDMI->DVI works fine on mine, computer though. haven't tried anything else. i would suggest try playing around with the xbox video settings

yep tried with both DDC CI on and off and still no luck, Im starting to wonder if the DVI port is defective in some way, as I really cannot for the life of me figure out why it wont show.

ive tried, Ive set it to 1080p and nothing, Ive also tried bouncing it through my sony receiver to see if that worked and still nothing.

the ps3 I tried to use was also the same, its like its locked into my pc somehow, but even that makes no sense as Ive had 3 different mobo's and 2 graphics cards since I got this monitor and they all worked fine.

I'd try a different cable. You need a single-link HDMI-DVI cable, not dual-link. It should definitely work with the PS3.

ok so update,

got the pc to run hdmi into the receiver and then hdmi to dvi to the monitor and that works,

however, when I plug the xbox hdmi in the receiver also, goes no signal, as if the xbox is jamming the line.

could this be a hdcp issue with the screen? or EDID problems?

and in another update, i managed to get it working by jumping the lead into the receiver after power on and letting it auto detect, seems it may be a hdcp issue.

Still wont work when connected directly which is puzzling???

Last edited:
It is weird. I would look into whether your XBox is outputting a 24Hz/30Hz signal, which I'm doubting. The EA231WMi likely won't work with anything lower than 60Hz.

What brand is your HDMI-DVI cable? Mines is from Monoprice. My splitter is also from Monoprice.

And if it wasn't obvious already, push the HDMI plug all the way in. With my PS3 stuff starts flashing in/out at 1080i/p but not 720p if I haven't pushed the plug in all the way.

Did you use the settings I mentioned?

That should let you set the refresh rate to 74 Hz.

I have this monitor connected by DVI and didn't know about this. I will get power strip to give it a try. By the way, can you explain or point to me to an article that explains what refresh rate is best to use depending on the video your watching (fps)?

Is it safe to set the monitor to 74Hz when the manual says the recommended for 1920x1080 is 60Hz?

Thanks a bunch.

I actually think it is 74 Hz and you have to use a 3rd party program which the name slips my mind at the moment and set it to:
Horizontal active: 1920
Horizontal front porch: 25
Horizontal sync width: 35
Horizontal back porch: 45
Horizontal total: 2025

Vertical active: 1080
Vertical front porch: 3
Vertical sync width: 4
Vertical back porch: 5
Vertical total: 1092

I was able to set those settings in the nvidia control panel without using a 3rd party program(that 3rd party program's name is Powerstrip if it is needed).

I don't know what good 74Hz will do considering all the motion blur these monitors have. But I suppose it can help get rid of judder in 24fps movies by setting the refresh rate to 72Hz.

Last edited:
Here's the 74Hz refresh rate settings for Intel HD Graphics. credit goes to ToastyX for the nvidia settings which I converted to Intel. (waiting on my GTX 690 if anyone's wondering, lol) it definitely feels smoother than 60Hz. I've got a DP cable on the way to try 83Hz soon.

NNsUe.jpg

also, to lower the Hz (like to 72Hz for 24p video), you just have to adjust the scan rate on the bottom right side.

Edit: actually this is 73.6Hz, I can't seem to get above 74hz, intel graphics complains "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" when trying for 74.6Hz. are intel GPU's limited to 165MHz pixel clock or something?

Last edited:
Hate to resurrect an old thread but here goes!

I raised the vertical frequency to 72, 74 and 83Hz over DisplayPort using ToastyX's numbers but with each of those frequencies I noticed odd horizontal lines nearly every other row of pixels. It looked similar to aliasing or over-sharpening but I can't quite describe it.

I tried taking a few pictures but they don't really show the issue. Nevertheless:
At 60Hz (without the lines): http://stfcc.org/misc/NEC EA231WMi 60Hz.jpg
At 83Hz (with the lines): http://stfcc.org/misc/NEC EA231WMi 83Hz.jpg

Is it normal to see something like that in this situation? Is this behavior when using a custom frequency higher than the monitor is intended commonplace on other monitors?

I'd love to keep using 83Hz (or 72Hz, just to have a nice multiple of 23.976 for movies) but those horizontal lines can be very distracting. I'll see if I can manage to take better pictures.

Back